PDA

View Full Version : WPM's ISP

Water Pokemon Master
17th November 2004, 05:16 PM
I am so sick and tired of having 56K when every other person on this planet has something faster, so this morning, (this has got to be the millionth time), I asked my mom if I could get a faster connection for Christmas. Before she answered, she told me she was fed up with her 4 year old computer and wanted me to go shopping with her to get a new one. She then said that since she was getting a new computer, I could get a new internet connection! She said, though, that she does not want to pay 20 more bucks a month to have AOL Broadband or whatever it is (which totals to $50), so I have decided (since I use the internet 30x more than anyone in the house), that we will get rid of AOL to get something cheaper and faster.

For a while, I have been seeing those James Earl Jones Verizon DSL commericals that come with MSN premium and wonder if anyone knows the price of that or if MSN is any good. Also, what is faster - DSL or Cable?

If anyone else has any suggestions on a good internet provider with a fast connection, please post. :) I have to convince my mom to go along with whatever the majority says is the best. [or you guys have to, actually :D]

Heald
17th November 2004, 05:25 PM
WPM getting a faster connection...this can only mean bad news for us all...

But seriously...

I don't know much about Americans ISPs. What I do know is that Cable is faster than DSL.

Good decision on AOL. AOL rapes children.

Go with one of the big ISPs though. It is usually a gamble to go with a new ISP that has only been around a weeks and is boasting incredibly cheap deals because they usually go bust within a year, and then there's the paperwork and yadayadayada.

Water Pokemon Master
17th November 2004, 05:29 PM
Just by a smidge or like a million times faster? How much faster is DSL and Cable over 56K?

HavoX
17th November 2004, 05:35 PM
Water Pokemon Master asked:
DSL or Cable?WPM http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/frown.gif

okay okay... Cable > DSL http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Water Pokemon Master
17th November 2004, 05:37 PM
If I am to get cable, do I have to disconnect the one to my TV and connect it to my computer, or do they have ways of letting you use the same cable for your TV and computer at the same time?

Moonlight Espeon
Aww, I looked at the title and got a little hopeful. Too bad for me.

Anyway, I have Adelphia Cable but I think it's only locally available, I have absolutely no idea.
Cable is faster than DSL, although each of them are faster than 56K by a landslide.

Google claims that the speed of the loading of their search engine was 0.11 seconds when I recently tried it for my own connection, so..
Get Cable. Highest Kbps possible.

EDIT: Heald, that's incorrect, Cable is on average faster than DSL, not all cable but most

Heald
DSL Broadband ranges from 512k to 1MB, although most companies seem to be upgrading their deals to 1MB, so don't get shortchanged speedwise.

I don't know much about cable since DSL is the only thing in the UK, so I looked on a site or two just now through Google and apparently, DSL is faster...so all these yankees on Battlefield: Vietnam who go 'you have DSL?! lol ur slow cable is faster lol' are a bunch of idiots...well, I'm not qualified to speak since I am now confused.

Aipom Of Doom
17th November 2004, 05:44 PM
Just by a smidge or like a million times faster? How much faster is DSL and Cable over 56K?

Well, 56k is 56 kilobits per second... DSL and cable range from 128 kilobits per second to up to 6 megabits per second or higher. So it depends on what cable/dsl service you choose. Anyway, DSL or cable doesn't really matter, get whatever's the better deal at an acceptable speed for you from a good company.

If I am to get cable, do I have to disconnect the one to my TV and connect it to my computer, or do they have ways of letting you use the same cable for your TV and computer at the same time?

No... Just like you can watch cable on more than one TV at once, you can use cable TV and cable internet at once.

kainashi
17th November 2004, 05:53 PM
If I am to get cable, do I have to disconnect the one to my TV and connect it to my computer, or do they have ways of letting you use the same cable for your TV and computer at the same time?no, it will use a seperate cable that they install. look into comcast, $20 a month for 6 months and it's 3Mbps/300kbps. cable is about 50x/70x faster than dialup. sometimes even more. :)

3Mbps = about 375kb/s. dialup usually downloads at about 5kb/s or so, if i remember correctly.

edit: msn premium is decent. used it a year or two ago. you now get 2gb of email space if you subscribe to it. all depends on what you think's the better deal and whatnot.

RedStarWarrior
17th November 2004, 06:24 PM
I also want to note that AOL is discontinuing much of its broadband service anyway.

youdontknowme
17th November 2004, 06:35 PM
AOL is bad. Yahoo/SBC DSL sucks.

I'd say go with Adelphia or Comcast. I recommend Comcast though.

Off-Topic: So I have Comcast cable. It always ran at an average of 1500kbps which is half the speed it should be. I just ran an internet speed check and got 3000kbps!!! God, I'm so happy. Finally, they upgraded or whatever they had to do. :) :) :)

HavoX
17th November 2004, 06:45 PM
How about Charter? Or Road Runner, perhaps?

RedStarWarrior
17th November 2004, 07:08 PM
youdon'tknowme, Adelphia is good as long as you don't live in Canada, or so I have heard. All I know is that my cable company set up the internet access before Adelphia took them over so it is high quality.

Water Pokemon Master
18th November 2004, 01:09 AM
My cable company is Adelphia and my phone peoples are Verizon. Do they ever have any good deals on DSL/Cable?

RedStarWarrior
18th November 2004, 01:24 AM
I would go with Adelphia over Verizon. Both offer good deals I guess.
Adelphia: http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/pl_premier.cfm
Verizon: http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/channels/dsl/package+price.asp

Verizon is cheaper, but is about half as fast as Adelphia. Also, the link I gave you for Adelphia actually goes into more detail about its premium high speed service, rather than the basic one, but further down the page it does have some information regarding the standard cable internet package.

Water Pokemon Master
18th November 2004, 01:33 AM
Wait, wha? Three dollars a month?

Ok, now another issue...If we want the connection on both my mom's computer and my laptop, do we need two modems? Or do we have to do one of those network things where her computer has the box and I use the wireless card?

Chris
18th November 2004, 02:08 AM
I can't help with the ISP problem because I'm not in the USA. :(

Ok, now another issue...If we want the connection on both my mom's computer and my laptop, do we need two modems? Or do we have to do one of those network things where her computer has the box and I use the wireless card?

How many computers are on your network?

Animelee
18th November 2004, 03:39 AM
Cable's faster than DSL? I had cable from March 2002 to September 2004, and the fastest I could get was 128 KB/s down and 45 KB/s up.

When I got DSL in October 2004, my speed went up to 320 KB/s down and 85 KB/s up. I guess it varies, but in my experience, DSL is better.

Glad to hear you're finally ditching AOL/56 K. Trust me, you will notice the difference, and you will be so happy you're not stuck with AOL anymore. I was stuck with 33.6 K AOL from 1997 to 2001.

Razola
18th November 2004, 03:54 AM
Cable's faster than DSL? I had cable from March 2002 to September 2004, and the fastest I could get was 128 KB/s down and 45 KB/s up.

When I got DSL in October 2004, my speed went up to 320 KB/s down and 85 KB/s up. I guess it varies, but in my experience, DSL is better.
It depends on the provider as to which is best. In general, DSL loses out to Cable, but sometimes you might get a better DSL provider in your area.

RedStarWarrior
18th November 2004, 09:15 AM
Wait, wha? Three dollars a month?

I assure you that neither of them are three dollars a month. One is thirty (DSL) and the other is forty three (Cable).

You only need one modem. Your best bet is to set up a home network.

The following items are mere suggestions.
Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=601
Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adaptor: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=507
Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adaptor: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=520

If you plan to go with Adelphia, as I recommend you might want to buy a modem ahead of time in order to avoid possible monthly rates.
http://www.adelphia.com/high_speed_internet/modems.cfm
I recommend the Linksys cable modem if prepurchasing is applicable in your area. If you live in East Valley, California, then you will probably have to purchase the modem through Adelphia.
Linksys Cable Modem with USB and Ethernet Connections: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=592

Another reason not to go with Verizon is that you would be using MSN Premium if you did, whereas with the cable you wouldn't have to sign into anything.

Water Pokemon Master
21st November 2004, 10:55 PM
Does this look good?:
http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/channels/dsl/bridge+drtv.asp?promotion_code=321/W82&LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=DSL04&PromoSrcCode=V&POEId=VU1DS

kainashi
22nd November 2004, 01:49 AM
Does this look good?:
http://www22.verizon.com/forhomedsl/channels/dsl/bridge+drtv.asp?promotion_code=321/W82&LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=DSL04&PromoSrcCode=V&POEId=VU1DSyes, that's alright.

Water Pokemon Master
22nd November 2004, 07:33 AM
Do you think the speed is good? They said 128K, which is only like 2x the speed of dialup. I thought Broadband was supposed to be 50x the speed of dialup...

Moonlight Espeon
22nd November 2004, 08:15 AM
You're confusing 50x with 5x. The only thing that has any hope of being 50x faster than dialup is T3/T4.
*thinks what my connection is*
Well, Windows Task Manager is telling me the link speed is 100 MB per second, but I don't really think it's that fast...
128K is a bit sucky, double the speed of dialup is still slow.
Go with the cheapest and the most reliable of the fastest connections.

kainashi
22nd November 2004, 09:38 AM
1.5 Mbps = 187kb/s

that's good enough for most people.

Chris
22nd November 2004, 10:19 AM
Well, Windows Task Manager is telling me the link speed is 100 MB per second, but I don't really think it's that fast...

That's your LAN speed, not your WAN speed.

Also, 128Kb/s doesn't qualify as broadband in this country. Personally I'd choose again. At least 512Kb/s will be beneficial.

RedStarWarrior
22nd November 2004, 11:36 AM
Go with the cable. Only $13 bucks more a month and you basically double your speed to 3mbps. Also, Moonlight Espeon, my cable is about 55x the speed of dial-up. I think you need to reevaluate your figures.

kainashi
22nd November 2004, 01:09 PM
mine's about 60x but most of the time but most cable companies just say 50x. i don't know why but they do. :confused:

RedStarWarrior
22nd November 2004, 01:30 PM
True, I did it based on the cable company's estimate. My connection is slightly faster the majority of the time. I think it is because they guarantee the 50x at the least.

Water Pokemon Master
24th November 2004, 07:56 PM
It's official. Just got off the phone with the Verizon peeps and ordered the DSL. I must say I am very happy since I negotiated with them and got all of the equitment for free (and an extra laptop card, which I didn't even need!).

Now I just need for the equitment to get here and for them to call me and say to connect everything. Then I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it. If I decide to keep it, AOL will be getting a phone call and deletion. :D

Moonlight Espeon
24th November 2004, 08:37 PM
Go with the cable. Only $13 bucks more a month and you basically double your speed to 3mbps. Also, Moonlight Espeon, my cable is about 55x the speed of dial-up. I think you need to reevaluate your figures.

Oops x_x;
Well I underestimated about.. let's see.. 45x.. XD
Maybe mine is that fast.
I use a Linksys router so you don't have to pay for both computers, 3 computers used to be hooked on but now it's two since my sister moved out. It works great and you have to pay half. Usually they don't get pissed at you either, they in fact RECOMMEND that you use a router. XD

Water Pokemon Master
24th November 2004, 08:45 PM
You have to pay for multiple computers? Why is that? Verizon lets you put 4 on 1 router.

RedStarWarrior
24th November 2004, 10:47 PM
I have an 8 port router with one port hooked up to a wireless router.

Water Pokemon Master
26th November 2004, 02:21 AM
How many wireless cards/antenna things for PCs can a wireless router link up to?

Jeff
26th November 2004, 08:10 AM
I do believe there is no limit to the number of devices on a wireless network, a wireless hotspot can link up to thousands of computers so I think you'll be fine :) Then again, I'm pretty sure hotspots have several access points...

But anyway, I'm still pretty sure there's no limit.

Kris
26th November 2004, 07:46 PM
We have a router downstairs, but somehow I keep picking up wireless signals on my airport card.

They aint coming from my house...

Water Pokemon Master
26th November 2004, 07:49 PM
Hey, if I have the wireless card for my laptop, does that mean I can be on the internet in those hot spot places for free?

Jeff
26th November 2004, 09:06 PM
Hey, if I have the wireless card for my laptop, does that mean I can be on the internet in those hot spot places for free?

Not sure about most of them but how it works at my school is that it's completly free but you need a student account to access the Internet (the student account of course, is also free).

Water Pokemon Master
6th December 2004, 11:10 PM
Yay! I am using my DSL now! It is going soooo fast too. Now all I need to do is get a wireless card off Ebay and I will be totally free from cords with my laptop. :)

abunaidesu
7th December 2004, 12:04 AM
so we're going to see you around more? :(

Water Pokemon Master
7th December 2004, 12:20 AM
Boy are you guys lucky! We will be friends forever and ever at high speeds.

Oh yeah, does anyone know a good wireless card that is cheap in price but does its job?

RedStarWarrior
7th December 2004, 02:33 AM
Just get the one I suggested. It is reliable. You know, the cheap way isn't the best way in most cases. BTW, I still have a far superior connection to yours. Mine is twice as fast. :P

kainashi
7th December 2004, 12:26 PM
Just get the one I suggested. It is reliable. You know, the cheap way isn't the best way in most cases. BTW, I still have a far superior connection to yours. Mine is twice as fast. :Pwow...? big deal. i doubt anyone besides yourself really cares how fast your connection is. ;o

this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384276884&skuId=4163229&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050003&type=product) or this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384664820&skuId=5250845&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050003&type=product) would be good choices. for a wireless card/router/etc., you'll want to go with linksys or d-link. they're the best in the business. :yes:

RedStarWarrior
7th December 2004, 01:01 PM
I believe I suggested Linksys. Anyway, I care because he had the choice between the two.

Water Pokemon Master
7th December 2004, 11:45 PM
Ok, I got the wireless card today. But when I connected up with AOL over dialup for a few minutes, it kinda seemed like the same speed as the DSL. Anyone know if something could be interferring, how I can check to see how fast it is going, and how I can boost the speed?

kainashi
8th December 2004, 12:44 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/stest?more=1

find the one closest to you. about your problem, i don't know. anything else you could tell?

RedStarWarrior
8th December 2004, 01:15 AM
Make sure that you aren't using the wireless card on the outskirts of the wireless router.

Lezta
12th December 2004, 05:22 AM
I don't get the AOL bashing. I have AOL. AOL works fine for me. :\ Never had a single problem...