PDA

View Full Version : Poll: I'm lost!

Jeff
23rd November 2004, 08:50 PM
I've been thinking about posting a poll for a while but couldn't think of a topic and today I got my inspiration...

I was driving to my college (University of Maryland Baltimore County) to study with a freind. It was the usual commute I take all the time, but for some reason, I missed the exit from Maryland-295 onto I-195. Unfourtunatly, MD-295 goes straight into Baltimore City, I guess you can figure out what happened next. I paniced, I called my parents, and by the time they calmed me down, it was too late, I had never stopped driving and ended up in the city. I got as far as the stadium where the Baltimore Ravens play when I finnaly found a good place to get to 295 south and get back out of the city.

So anyway,

1. Have you ever gotten yourself lost? By that I mean anywhere, missed an exit on the highway, lost in the woods, couldn't find your way out of a telephone booth, etc. When, where, how long...

2. Do you consider yourself to have a good sense of direction?

3. And lastly, do you panic whenever you get lost?

for me:

1. (see above)
2. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeck no.
3. Guilty (see above)

The Blue Avenger
23rd November 2004, 09:51 PM
1. I don't drive, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to get lost. See #2.
2. I have a horrible sense of direction. X_X Took me 5 years to learn the way from my house to elementary school...
3. Because I don't drive, whenever I get lost, I am reasonably close to home. So, no.

Chikoo
23rd November 2004, 09:57 PM
1. I don't get lost often, if at all.
2. San Diego is easy to navigate. No problemo.
3. I panic. I remember getting lost in that house of mirrors thing as a child. It was scary. ;-;

Little_Pikachu
23rd November 2004, 10:16 PM
1. Have you ever gotten yourself lost?
Oh yes, when it comes to driving... Recently I got lost in Edinburgh, we drove around for quite a while before I found signs for the motorway... Then it was just a case of hoping I was going the right direction on that...

Sometimes. But not when I'm driving.

No, I do stress and get angry because I don't like wasting petrol, but I don't panic. I know at the very worst I'll just have to pull over and ask someone.

Toxicity
23rd November 2004, 10:28 PM
1. Have you ever gotten yourself lost? By that I mean anywhere, missed an exit on the highway, lost in the woods, couldn't find your way out of a telephone booth, etc. When, where, how long...

1. Last Saturday me and my mom accidently went north on I-75 when we were supposed to go in the south direction. At least we figured out the turn we were supposed to make at that exit. Of course, I wasn't the driver.

2. I've learned where things in this redneck urbanium of mine are because it's not too much. But the easiest navigation I've been with was in Terre Haute, Indiana.

3. Not really. Unless its of completely suspenseful measures like being lost during a bad storm or such.

Pidgeot
23rd November 2004, 10:59 PM
I dont really get lost, except when Im in an entirely new situation and Im expected to navigate my way around without the aid of a map. Like visiting a new city, and I have to get from shop A to mall B and Im like "Oh bugger Im lost." but it dosent last too long.

Pretty much, but if you go over a route a few times its difficult to get lost.

Yes, but it helps me to concentrate and find my way out of the situation. Same with stress - it just motivates me.

Zak
23rd November 2004, 11:04 PM
1. Rarely, but yes. Although my new school is wicked awesome, the ONE problem is the way it's built. Seriously, the classroom numbers are out of order, on my first week it took me tough concentration to find my classes.

2. Yes, despite the above. You actually need a good sense of direction to find your way around in a week. If you don't, it may take the whole year, or your whole high school career there. But like I said, it's a great school in terms of education, it hurts dissing them :(

3. At school, no, I'd probably ask a senior or a staff member for help. But at other times, YES. Well, I don't whine when I'm lost, usually I stay calm and let the tension build up inside me. When I find whoever I'm supposed to meet or whatever, I take it out on them for letting them lose me. Although I don't really recall doing it to anyone other than my parents.

Moonlight Espeon
24th November 2004, 09:00 AM

1. I don't drive, but I sometimes get lost in other things. Like, in malls and stuff, but it was never anything serious. Mostly that I had snuck into a different aisle and my mom went nuts.
2. Well, my mom thinks I do, but if I was driving I'd have to have gone there before. I can remember how to get somewhere if I've gone there a lot before because I pay attention to turns and stuff.
3. Yes, I panic when I get lost and I'm only going by when I get lost in my dreams because I don't often get lost.

Agent Elrond
24th November 2004, 09:22 AM

I don't think I, personally have gotten lost. I have gotten lost with my parents (mostly when we're driving), and spend about fifteen agonizing minute listening to them bicker as we tried to find the orange belt into Pittsburgh. >.<

As long as it's sunny and I'm in the northern hemisphere, I'm good. (I navigate by the sun.)

Not generally. I came precious close though once at the end of the seven day backpacking trip when we lost the trail and had to go cross country through six feet deep undergrowth towards where we thought the trail was. o.O; Not fun.

Cheesey
24th November 2004, 10:44 AM
Of course I have, it's very easy to get lost. Once I got lost in Tescos and I didn't really know what to do because whenever I usually look for my parents in a shop I walk one way and they walk in another direction and therefore I can never see them... So I sat on the floor and played with my thumbs or something until my Mum happened to come down the aisle I was in. I think I got asked by some old lady if I was okay or if I needed to find my Mummy or Daddy but I shook my head. This was when I was about 3, you understand... I wouldn't do that now! If I ever get lost I tend to pretend that I'm not lost at all and that I really meant to be wherever I am. I'm not sure it's terribly convincing because I think I always look confused.

Well, sometimes. Occasionally I'm good at navigating and such (and I think I'm better than I used to be since I've been taking Geography) but sometimes I just go braindead and have no idea what direction I'm going in... I dread the day when I learn to drive because I always have this little feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to take a wrong turn and end up in Newcastle instead of Dundee or something... Last time I went to Edinburgh though I managed to get myself around perfectly and meet up with my sisters right on time, which was nice.

Nope. As I said, I just pretend I'm meant to be there. I get a bit jittery and fidgety whenever I'm lost in a bad part of town at night or something though. Generally I'm not too bad but I'm awful at making myself ask for directionsa because I always feel like I'll embarrass myself.

Pichu
24th November 2004, 01:12 PM

Yes. Driving along. Thinking I'm going to the right direction. Suddenly I figured I went into the wrong direction. So I quickly turned into a street, go back the other direction. =P

Not really, *dude, where's my car?!* Yes.. I have problems looking for my car.

No.

JamieC
24th November 2004, 01:22 PM
1. I don't get lost, I just occasionally become unaware of my exact location, and how to get to a known location. But never lost.

Like I went wandering one day in Leeds City Centre - just pointed myself in one direction and walked - got near half way to Bradford before I realised I didn't have the slightest idea where I was (or what I was doing, for that matter)

2. I have a *terrible* sense of direction. I get <see above> just by turning out of my front door... Source of much amusement to my ex-boyf, who had never met anyone quite as bad :( Poor me.

3. No, I don't panic. I just keep going in the blind faith that I will eventually end up where I need to be. Aim for the bright lights, or the high ground...

Kris
24th November 2004, 05:23 PM
Im always getting lost these days, now that Ive started driving its got worse!!!!

I have a useless sense of direction, I couldnt find my way out of a paper bag.

I used to panic, but now Im getting used to it. So I no longer panic.

phaedrus
24th November 2004, 08:26 PM
typical right-wing nutjob. :rolleyes:

no not really. i stay in my land that was staked out by my piss.

sense of direction is decent.

panic? hell no.

homeofmew
24th November 2004, 09:14 PM

I ve gotten lost due to errors on my behalf.
And my moms mistakes too, it's not that bad getting lost where I live, cause there is always a major highway you know right by.

Yes, I got lost on intercetion of 2 streets and found my self poof back on a road i knew.
Not really as a thing I usually head south and I find my way home.
Thats because everything is North of My house XD

Leon-IH
25th November 2004, 08:52 AM
1. I haven't gotten lost since I was too young to remember.

2. I hope my sense of direction is good, otherwise some people's is horrible.

3. N/A

mr_pikachu
27th November 2004, 10:32 PM

I once missed an exit and ended up in downtown of a major city at around midnight. Not a fun experience.

If it's daytime and it's not cloudy and it's not near noon, I can tell you what directions are north, south, east, and west. But that's about it, other than memory of places I've seen previously.

I don't know if I can really answer that, since I've only really been lost two or three times. But on those, occasions, I didn't panic. I just grabbed the handy-dandy cell phone, and voila! Problem solved.

*punches buttons frantically* Augh! I forgot to charge it! NOOOO!!

Mab the Mad Clefable
28th November 2004, 02:48 PM
1. Well, I don't drive, but I'm sure that if I did, I would be very good at getting lost! I've been lost trying to find places many a time, I usually pop into a shop or somewhere and ask directions.
2. My sense of direction is useless! I remember being in Scarborough and going to the castle, perfectly sure I was taking a really quickroute which ended up being miles of trailing paths! Funny thing was on the way back, there was a road which went straight down to practically where we were staying....still, it was good exercise.....
3. Not unless I'm going to be late for a train or something like that. I just find someone to ask and try to remember what they say.