PDA

View Full Version : The shiny we all feared!

Kitcage
24th November 2004, 10:14 AM
Last week while restarting for a good-nature treecko I saw the horrid creature.. Shiny Poochyena T___T

Yes I'm talking about the first ever wild pokemon you fight, and cant catch.. I felt like dying.. now tell me, did you ever incounter a shiny you just couldnt catch? (I'm not talking about the safarigame runaways or knockouts)

WingullTrainer
24th November 2004, 11:11 AM
Well, i tried to catch a shiny mawile, a while back, but i noly had a couple of great balls, and six poke balls, but the darn thing wouldn't go down. Very frustrating.

andyizcool
24th November 2004, 11:39 AM
Last week while restarting for a good-nature treecko I saw the horrid creature.. Shiny Poochyena T___T
Deja vou. :oh: I've always thought someone would see that Poochyena Shiny and not be able to catch it. As for me I haven't seen any Shiny Pokemon yet but if I do I have 99 of most best Pokeballs ready for it.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
24th November 2004, 02:02 PM
I only saw one shiny: Oddish. And the funny thing is: I hate the oddish family. So I captured him and restarted my game.

My friend had the same problem. I think I had to buckle him to the seat, because elsewhy, he would trow the SP through the window...

XD

WaterTrainer
24th November 2004, 02:42 PM
My first ever Shiny Pokemon on LG appeared when I restarted my game for the first time. The Shiny Rattata just popped up very early in the game and I caught it, right before fighting my rival for the second time. I guess the Shiny Pokemon's appearance depends on pure luck.

rinku
24th November 2004, 04:59 PM
I've seen four shinies in Battle Tower/Trainer Tower. Shiny Starmie and shiny Kecleon in Sapphire Battle Tower; shiny Espeon and shiny Seaking in Leaf Green Trainer Tower.

They didn't bother me much - can't do much about it after all. The one that caused me grief was the shiny Makuhita I didn't catch on Victory Road. I was effort training and it popped up - I showed it to my wife and kids and was pretty much bouncing around in excitement (Makuhita/Hariyama are among my favorite pokémon). My lead pokémon was too high level to safely attack it, so I switched in something more suitable...

Whirlwind!

Ieeeeeeee....!!!

Next time, I swear it gets the Master Ball...

Edit: If you think about it - the odds of that Poochyena being shiny are only 1 in 8000 or so. That means about 125 of every million players will encounter it the first time they play. Some won't even know that it should look any different ;)

Silent Dragonfly
24th November 2004, 05:07 PM
I've found no shinies in the wild of my own, but I have in my FR Trainer Tower unfortunatly. I encountered a shiny Meowth.

andyizcool
24th November 2004, 05:25 PM
I've found no shinies in the wild of my own, but I have in my FR Trainer Tower unfortunatly. I encountered a shiny Meowth.
The Trainer Tower Pokemon on Pokemon FR/LG are preset wheather they're Shiny or not. It's not random like in the wild or the Battle Tower on Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.

rinku
24th November 2004, 05:48 PM
I suspected that might be the case after encountering two in such a short time.

Probably put in to make sure people don't lose hope of encountering one :)

aragornbird
24th November 2004, 06:43 PM
The ONLY shiney Pokemon I've ever seen in G/S/C/R/S/FR/LG (excluding red Gyarados of course) was a shiney Manectric in Ruby. Guess where it was?

The Battle Tower...

X_X

Pidgeot
26th November 2004, 07:07 AM
I knew a girl who once restarted her game thousands of times - she wanted a shiny Charmander (to get a Black Charizard). She restarted day and night, and her patience was wearing thin, but when her on/off button broke, she lost it and sharked one.

Jeff
26th November 2004, 08:57 AM
The only shiny I ever ran into in Crystal was a shiny Graveler in Victory Road and it used SELF-FREAKIN-DESTRUCT! :swear:

As for those uncatchable shinies, the only shiny I encountered in Ruby was a Girafarig in the Battle Tower, of course.

Those were the only shinies I have ever seen (except of course Red Gyarados in GSC)

Kitcage
26th November 2004, 04:54 PM
I knew a girl who once restarted her game thousands of times - she wanted a shiny Charmander (to get a Black Charizard). She restarted day and night, and her patience was wearing thin, but when her on/off button broke, she lost it and sharked one.

dumb of her, she could have used the soft reset (start + select + a + b)

Ice Rabbit
26th November 2004, 05:06 PM
I haven't found any shiny Pokémon, and I don't care one bit. There's nothing special about them.

Cedrico Ikari
26th November 2004, 05:54 PM
The Trainer Tower Pokemon on Pokemon FR/LG are preset wheather they're Shiny or not. It's not random like in the wild or the Battle Tower on Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.

Does this mean that there will ALWAYS be a shiny pokemon in the Trainer Tower Pokemon on FR/LG?

andyizcool
26th November 2004, 06:03 PM
Does this mean that there will ALWAYS be a shiny pokemon in the Trainer Tower Pokemon on FR/LG?
Nintendo have made quite a few Pokemon Shiny in the Trainer Tower on Pokemon FR/LG. I agree with rinku that this is just to get everyone's hopes up that Shiny Pokemon still exsist.

Cedrico Ikari
26th November 2004, 08:46 PM
But it must be very very sad to find a shiny pokemon there... I wouldn't like it at all

CAMountainSnake
29th November 2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah, my first trip into the Trainer Tower in LG I encountered a Green Espeon. So far, I had a Shiny Smeargle in Gold and a Shiny Aggron in Ruby. Still holding out for one in my Leaf Green game.

Charmander765
31st December 2004, 09:43 PM
In crystal i saw and captured a shiny nidorino. That's the only shiny pokemon i've captured (not including the red gyarados.)

IAmCharlyBrown
2nd January 2005, 05:21 PM
I caught a shiny caterpie back in GSC. What a waste

Sceptile_Master
2nd January 2005, 05:51 PM
have a shiny Tentacruel and a shiny Blastoise. Yay.

Jeff
2nd January 2005, 08:18 PM
In my post I forgot to mention that I got a shiny Tyrogue from the Day Care couple in Crystal, I was exited until I found out there was a high chance of that pokemon being shiny anyway.

Powarun
3rd January 2005, 12:55 AM
Found a lot of shinies with out cheating, like an Oddish in LG, two spinda, a Swablu, a wingul and some others I think. BUt my only uncatchable was a shiny Girfafrig that was in the safari zone that ran as soon as I threw the ball.

theniceguydk
3rd January 2005, 09:05 AM
Aawww! I would.. DIE if the Poochyena at the start of R/S was shiny.. ARH!
I haven't really been unlucky with shinies. The only two I've ever seen, I've caught - Shiny Tentacruel and Shiny Wobbuffet. Phew.. I met the Wobbuffet in Safari Zone.. I thought it would run, but luckily it didn't :)

Crazy
3rd January 2005, 09:27 AM
I've caught a shiny Seviper,shiny Zubat,shiny Trapinch,and I once hatched a shiny Smoochum on my Crystal version. I have had good luck with shinies,but I haven't seen any on LG. My friend once met the shiny Poochyena. He was pissed. Also caught a shiny Plusle.

HavoX
3rd January 2005, 09:38 AM
in my LG game, I saw a shiny Seaking in the Trainer Tower. no matter how pretty it was though, a battle was a battle... and that Seaking had to go

I didn't care though

Silent Dragonfly
3rd January 2005, 12:02 PM
In the trainer tower, the shinies are fixed.

Single battle has a shiny meowth, double battle has shiny espeon, knockout has shiny seaking. I'm not sure about Mixed though yet.

Soneko
4th January 2005, 10:19 AM
In GSC I once found a shiny Hoothoot before I got my pokedex. I also found (and caught) a shiny Rattata.
I don't think I've seen any otherwise, though. I dun mind really, there's nothing special about them when you think about it.

Magmar
4th January 2005, 11:24 AM
Ironically, the only three shinies I've ever caught:

Silver: A Goldeen
Leaf Green: A Goldeen
Sapphire: Another freakin' Goldeen. I couldn't get over that. Just yesterday Wild sparkly GOLDEEN appears for the 3rd time.

I want to know the odds of this happening.
The only 3 shiny Pokemon I have ever caught were all Goldeen.

Edit: I've seen the shiny Kangaskhan and a shiny Marowak. Didn't catch either. After going through about 30 pokeballs each, I just did what I had to do...

Didn't get any extra exp. points for them though. Bummer.

rinku
4th January 2005, 04:27 PM
Silver: A Goldeen
Leaf Green: A Goldeen
Sapphire: Another freakin' Goldeen. I couldn't get over that. Just yesterday Wild sparkly GOLDEEN appears for the 3rd time.

I want to know the odds of this happening.

Depends on how often you encounter Goldeen compared to other types...

Assuming you encounter them about 1 in every 200 encounters, the odds of three shinies in a row being Goldeen are about 1 in 8 million. If you spend a fair bit of time fishing for Goldeen or other types found with Goldeen the odds are much smaller. If you are including the Trainer Tower Shiny in Leaf Green, the odds are also much smaller, since that's a fixed encounter.

Magmar
4th January 2005, 04:42 PM
I just don't get what's with me and these Goldeen. I don't hunt for them at all. In fact, I never raise or use Goldeen.

Avalon
4th January 2005, 07:35 PM
In my recent GSC game restart.... found a shiny Tauros, that thing refused to stay in the Pokeball. Got it within the last 10 Pokeballs I had. In my first GSC game years ago, found a shiny Koffing. That's about it I think...

theniceguydk
5th January 2005, 09:58 AM
Magmar, the Goldeens must love you! :P

Anyway.. In my Ruby version I've caught a shiny Wobbuffet and a shiny Tentacruel in total.. They're pretty useless X_X I wish I would catch a shiny that I could USE :P

Sceptile_Master
5th January 2005, 10:24 AM
I have a Tentacruel at lv:100 and kicks ass even in competitive battling, get out there and train that shiny jellyfish. I also have a shiny tentacruel but i saw it as a tentacool when my other tentacruel was a lv:82 so I didn't train it.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
5th January 2005, 11:17 AM
Useless? Tentacruel? *faints* X_x He's one of the better water pokemon.

andyizcool
5th January 2005, 11:41 AM
Tentacruel is a Utility like Blastoise but because Blastoise would always be my favourite Pokemon I would always use that as my Utility. Tentacruel is good in Competitive Battling like the others have said because it has great Special Defence. Also Shiny Pokemon from Pokemon GSC should really go in the Pokemon GSC Forum because they're old games and not related to the Advance Generation.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
5th January 2005, 11:53 AM
It is good as a Sweeper/Sp.Sweeper aswell.

Magmar
5th January 2005, 02:31 PM
Tentacruel's fast too, so it really helps getting him out there.
Then again, the electric Pokemon are fast too, gotta watch out for those buggers... x_X

Fel
5th January 2005, 06:33 PM
Ah, Tentacruel...the jellyfish is truly evil.

Sword's Dance + Sludge Bomb = ouch.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
6th January 2005, 02:20 AM
+Substite + Icebeam/Surf

Magmar
6th January 2005, 08:28 AM
Oof, that sludge bomb.
Most people would never see that one coming.

In other news, my level 29 sableye learned faint attack (yay!) so I can finally efficiently use her to take on wild Pokemon.
oh and i released the stupid goldeen. i didn't want to look at it anymore...

WaterTrainer
6th January 2005, 08:38 AM
Aww, too bad, I could have looked forward to be training it. All the shiny Pokemon I have now is only a puny lil' Raticate, which I got as a Rattata VERY early in the game. I kinda have more luck finding shiny Pokemon on my emulator on the com.

WaterTrainer
6th January 2005, 08:42 AM
What's even more unexpected from a Tentacruel is Giga Drain. Gets rid of its Ground weaknesses. Saps the foe's HP too. Barrier + Confuse Ray/Swords Dance + Sludge Bomb + Giga Drain/Surf/Ice Beam/ Return is WICKED!!!

Cedrico Ikari
7th January 2005, 10:42 AM
Maaan, you should NEVER release a shiny pokemon, even if it's a stupid goldeen!

MeLoVeGhOsTs
7th January 2005, 03:11 PM
Oh yes, if you don't like him. I caught a Shiny Oddish once. I hate oddish so I restarted my game...meh

Kitcage
8th January 2005, 02:38 PM
This is a thread about shinies you COULDNT get, not about shinies please read the first post ><

Magmar
8th January 2005, 10:49 PM
wow calm down, we're just having fun.
seriously you know it's a part of being human beings

MeLoVeGhOsTs
9th January 2005, 03:35 AM
Why not edit the title and make it a shiny thread?

Kitcage
9th January 2005, 06:09 AM
becuase there where alot of other shinie threads and they where all closed, guess why? because it got al spammy and stuff, just like this one, I'm asking a mod to close it now.

Magmar
9th January 2005, 10:34 AM
It's not spammy, we're discussing shinies and having fun.
like normal human beings.
no need to run around holding your head like a Psyduck over it. there is no chaos, only the chaos you are starting

so yeah I SAW ANOTHER SHINY! And I did catch this one!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a Tropius in Sapphire, I was souped when I saw it and I managed to catch it on the second Poke Ball of all things. Then again I had it paralyzed and down to the last pixel of HP (kudos to a loudred with astonish)
HOOORAYYYY for the barrylius

MeLoVeGhOsTs
9th January 2005, 10:58 AM
Congrats Magmar! :)

I hope I'll catch myself a shiny one day...

starjake
9th January 2005, 01:55 PM
I caught a shiny Wurmple (now a fall-colored Dustox) and a shiny Zigzagoon...and in my previous game I caught a shiny Whismur. Are all shinies female? All mine seem to be...

Silent Dragonfly
9th January 2005, 03:11 PM
I caught a shiny Wurmple (now a fall-colored Dustox) and a shiny Zigzagoon...and in my previous game I caught a shiny Whismur. Are all shinies female? All mine seem to be...

No, shinies have the same chance of being male or female as regular pokes.

Magmar
9th January 2005, 03:18 PM
The Tropius I caught was male.
Tis beauty-full.

Powarun
10th January 2005, 07:16 PM
Ah, to the guy who said about this is a shiny you couldn't catch. I remember when FIre red Roms came out, I immediatly downloaded one, then sharked my way to Cinnibar island. With only my lone squirtle and luck I ventured into the ruins of the old mansion, and suddenly the third pokemon I find was a Shiny Grimer, and I had no pokeballs, I saved the game, but forgot about it until now. Now I shall hack till I get that grimer.

Magmar
11th January 2005, 08:54 AM
a shiney grimer...
imagine one IRL

homeofmew
12th January 2005, 02:43 PM
x-x; I remember before shiney were really popular and GOld just came out i saw
a shiny koffing, it looked different so i caught it, later i though it i evolved it it would become unshineied. anyway, sad story about shiney poochy..

Windra
17th January 2005, 12:33 AM
I restarted a couple of times but never got a shiny Poochyena on the game. Although I found a shiny evolved form of Corphish (the name left my mind for a moment) while surfing in the rapid current area west of the log town.

I wasted so many pokeballs on it. :mad2: No luck...

Gah. I'd go insane if I saw a shiny Pooch in front of me and couldn't nab it. >.<

Gnight
17th January 2005, 07:33 AM
The only shiny pokemon that got away from me was a oddish back in GSC.

Silent Dragonfly
17th January 2005, 09:57 AM
Although I found a shiny evolved form of Corphish (the name left my mind for a moment) while surfing in the rapid current area west of the log town.

There aren't any wild Crawdaunt in the game. Maybe you fished and found Sharpedo? (evolves from Carvahna) By surfing you won't find anything other than Tentacool, Wingull or Pelipper there on Rusa

Number1ChanseyFan
18th January 2005, 10:21 PM
Closed by request of thread starter.