PDA

View Full Version : I'm wondering, should I get a PC or a Mac?

Ice Rabbit
26th November 2004, 12:15 PM
When I get a new computer, I think I might get a Mac (I'm getting one eventually anyway). Windows is a bit glitchy for me. I still want to make sigs. All I really need is the ability to make sigs, internet, Firefox, a good media player, maybe a good e-mail client (like Thunderbird), well, nothing much. Just the normal junk someone would need. Mac OS X can get all of that. But then again, so can a PC.

I really like the Mac OS X's design. You don't need to get extra crap like a modem and there aren't wires everywhere.

Jeff
26th November 2004, 12:29 PM
Then get a Mac, alot of freeware out there is available for it (including FF and TB) you're also bound to find software that will let you exchange files and whatnot between Windows and MacOS. So yeah, go for it.

RedStarWarrior
26th November 2004, 01:09 PM
Um, I use PCs with no problems. I guess you have to know what you are doing in order to understand the simplicity of a PC. First off, you don't have to have Windows. Second off, there are more programs available for the PC than the Mac. This is because more people own PCs than Macs and thus companies tend to release programs on the PC before releasing it on the Mac (if they release it on the Mac at all) so that they have a larger customer base. Either way, you best make sure you use Firefox.

Moonlight Espeon
26th November 2004, 03:52 PM
Hmm. Maybe I can save you from the depths of your almost terrible mistake.
If PCs screw up for you, Macs will be worse. WAY worse. Using a Mac feels like going back to prehistoric times for me. Everything is a double-click and you have all these useless menu bars that tell you nothing and ugh >_<
Windows can't just be "glitchy" for you. It's your computer. If you get a new PC, it'll work fine. Avoid Celeron all you can. Pentium 4 = (y)
But, if you want to preserve your sanity, do NOT get a mac.

Cheesey
26th November 2004, 04:26 PM
Kelly, that is not true.

Macs are a lot simpler than PCs are and the way that they are laid out is a lot different. My sister has a Mac and she loves it because she loves doing arty stuff, and also, she can't be arsed figuring out how to fix problems on a PC because usually it involves going right into lots of menu screens and stuff. She just finds Macs simpler to use, and not "prehistoric" at all. They are very different and I know that a lot of people hate the way Macs work, but if you like art and stuff like that, they're great.

I like them because I like art and I suck at anything computer related, and with Macs they make everything pretty simple for me to understand. I also like the way the computer itself looks and the way you use it. I just like everything about it but yeah, with PCs, if you get a virus or something it's a lot easier just to go into the dpeths of the computer itself.

It really depends on what you want. They're both pretty different machines and you can do what you appear to want to do on either one of them. It's down to a matter of preference. I'm stupid and arty so I like Macs myself. =P

Kris
26th November 2004, 07:40 PM
Cheesey is right, everyone is different.

I have a powerbook g4 (mac) and love it. I wouldnt go back to PC's now!

The only problem is the lack of stuff you can get. I mean you see all these cool things in stores but then you have to try and search for a mac version.

I love my mac though

RedStarWarrior
26th November 2004, 07:48 PM
I somehow manage to do art on a PC...oh noes. Anyway, Kris basically restated the point I already brought up. Things are limited when it comes to a Mac. You don't have as large of a variety when it comes to software. Why don't you just get a Unix box instead?

youdontknowme
26th November 2004, 07:54 PM
Just note that if you want to play any sort of PC game, then say goodbye to the Mac.

Note: The majority of people only think that a Mac is weird to use because they grew up using Windows. :P

Ice Rabbit
26th November 2004, 08:46 PM
Lack of stuff won't hurt me that much. All I really need is a good antivirus program, internet + Firefox, some art program where I can take pictures from the internet and put them there (and I'm not to thrilled about having that), a program I can type in (Office mac will do me fine), and a good media player. I don't need games.

Kris
26th November 2004, 08:50 PM
DO NOT get office for the mac!

If your gonna become a mac user get some good mac based software.

I use quark express and trust me it kicks ass. Lots better than office

Jeff
26th November 2004, 08:51 PM
Well since it seems you're leaning towards a Mac, again I say go for it.

I personally use a PC myself. I've used Windows since I first learned how to use a computer, so if that's the case with you, you might want to stick with a PC.

Kris
26th November 2004, 08:52 PM
Question.

Why do you want a mac?

Be honest

RedStarWarrior
26th November 2004, 09:14 PM
Hey, I grew up with an Apple. I just prefer PCs.

Ice Rabbit
26th November 2004, 09:15 PM
Windows has so many security holes.

RedStarWarrior
26th November 2004, 09:19 PM
You know, they are alternatives to Windows. Linux, for example, is a great OS. You can't down PCs just because you don't like Windows. Also, you would probably never notice a problem with Windows, considering what you are going to use the computer for. It isn't like you are going to be storing top secret documents on there. Besides, MacOS has its problems as well.

Kris
26th November 2004, 09:45 PM
Besides, MacOS has its problems as well.

I havent found any with Mac OSX yet

Water Pokemon Master
27th November 2004, 03:38 PM
I have used both Windows and Mac (Mac first) for several years at a time, and my honest opinion is that Windows is way better than Mac. When we used Macs at school, it was just a pain in the butt. They would constantly crash, it was very hard to find good software for them, and they were just all difficult to use. Then I was introduced to Windows on our first computer, and I loved it a lot. Sure there are bugs and stuff, but Windows is just generally better than Mac. Why do you think more people use Windows than Mac and everytime you go into a store they always have Windows? Windows is just way better.

andyizcool
27th November 2004, 04:04 PM
Why do you think more people use Windows than Mac and everytime you go into a store they always have Windows? Windows is just way better.
Maybe because Macs cost a little bit more because they're better and stores are just cheap. If you've seen any top businesses that work in designing or coding things like video games then they'll be using Macs because they're better than PCs for the job. I like how the Mac has everything built in it and you should have noticed Windows just copied some of Mac's video features and stuff when they released Windows XP.

RedStarWarrior
27th November 2004, 05:45 PM
Um, Macs are more expensive because they are produced by Apple only, meaning there is no price competition. Macs cost more to repair and cost more to upgrade, whereas a PC is much cheaper. Also, I know many friends who do video game coding and they use Unix (Sun), thank you very much.

Aipom Of Doom
27th November 2004, 09:10 PM
I'd really say that you should look at all of your options yourself, since this is completely dependant on your opinion of what you like better. All that this thread has proven is that some people like macs and some don't, but that really doesn't mean much in terms of what you're going to buy. Whatever you like better and are willing to pay for... Both macs and PCs should be able to do what you require just fine.

Why do you think more people use Windows than Mac and everytime you go into a store they always have Windows? Windows is just way better.

Note: faulty logic. Windows is more popular, but "popular" doesn't imply "better". Either that, or you will agree that because many games are currently more popular than Pokemon, they are better :).

Water Pokemon Master
27th November 2004, 09:14 PM
Pokemon R/S/FR/LG/Colosseum are VERY popular right now, Aipom. Ever looked at a top ten list for games?

And Windows is better IMO because it runs faster than Mac in my years of experience with both systems and it is just easier and less complicated to use.

Aipom Of Doom
27th November 2004, 09:19 PM
Pokemon R/S/FR/LG/Colosseum are VERY popular right now, Aipom. Ever looked at a top ten list for games?

But at the moment I'm pretty sure Halo 2 and Half Life 2 are more popular, therefore meaning that they are better games than Pokemon by your logic.

Water Pokemon Master
27th November 2004, 09:21 PM
This thread is about (2) platforms, Windows and Mac. Therefore, I am saying that out of the (2), Windows is the best.

With Pokemon and other games, there are hundreds of games, not just (2). Therefore, Pokemon may not be the most popular, but it is very popular.

Aipom Of Doom
27th November 2004, 09:25 PM
This thread is about (2) platforms, Windows and Mac. Therefore, I am saying that out of the (2), Windows is the best.

With Pokemon and other games, there are hundreds of games, not just (2). Therefore, Pokemon may not be the most popular, but it is very popular.

You're saying that Windows is the most popular. Most popular does NOT imply best. And certainly has nothing to do with "best for Ice Rabbit to use".

Water Pokemon Master
27th November 2004, 09:27 PM
Did you not read through my post? The best out of the two!!!!! This thread has to do with 2!!!! platforms, so I am saying it is the best out of the two!!!!

Aipom Of Doom
27th November 2004, 09:34 PM
Did you not read through my post? The best out of the two!!!!! This thread has to do with 2!!!! platforms, so I am saying it is the best out of the two!!!!

So what are you using to back up your claim that "it is the best of the two" again? Remember that "more popular" does not imply "better", nor "better for Ice Rabbit's purposes".

RedStarWarrior
27th November 2004, 10:16 PM
Either of the two systems will easily be able to handle what Ice Rabbit wants to do. Hell, my PDA will handle what Ice Rabbit wants to do.

youdontknowme
27th November 2004, 10:24 PM
I have used both Windows and Mac (Mac first) for several years at a time, and my honest opinion is that Windows is way better than Mac. When we used Macs at school, it was just a pain in the butt. They would constantly crash,They probably sucked because they're the school's Macs. Most schools have old crappy Macs.

it was very hard to find good software for them,
What kind of software? You have your photo editing program, IM program, email client, internet browser, etc. I don't know what more you need besides games.

and they were just all difficult to use.I'm sure Windows was difficult to use when you started out; you just have to get used to it.

What do you think is so much better about Windows than a Mac? The only thing I see is the programs, but that's only because Windows is more popular. Like Aipom said, just because it's popular doesn't necessarily make it better.

Water Pokemon Master
28th November 2004, 12:07 AM
They probably sucked because they're the school's Macs. Most schools have old crappy Macs.
Actually, our school had a state of the art computer lab.

What kind of software? You have your photo editing program, IM program, email client, internet browser, etc. I don't know what more you need besides games.
I was referring to games and some other miscellaneous programs that I sometimes wanted in stores.

I'm sure Windows was difficult to use when you started out; you just have to get used to it.
I learned how to use Windows fast, it was just easier to learn and less complicated to me than Mac.

What do you think is so much better about Windows than a Mac? The only thing I see is the programs, but that's only because Windows is more popular. Like Aipom said, just because it's popular doesn't necessarily make it better.
In my experience, Windows computers are generally faster than Mac, are easier to customize, are just easier to use, less in price, and easier to upgrade.

Aipom Of Doom
28th November 2004, 06:33 AM
They probably sucked because they're the school's Macs. Most schools have old crappy Macs.
Actually, our school had a state of the art computer lab.

That is completely irrelevant, because unless your school's network admins are idiots, they have everything locked down a lot. Of course you are going to find a computer with severely limited functions a pain to use after you've been using one you have admin privileges on. And "state of the art school computer lab" still implies much crappier macs than you would buy for yourself.

Kris
28th November 2004, 05:13 PM
As one of the very few Mac owners on tpm I think its time I stood up for them.

When was the last time you used a Mac WPM?

They had a huge re making about 2 years back and now their better than ever.

Not trying to slag windows off but macs are superior to pc's in most areas. In my college there are over 250 macs but there are under 50 pc's. I think that says something.

Oh by the way, Macs dont crash :P

kainashi
28th November 2004, 05:24 PM

Not trying to slag windows off but macs are superior to pc's in most areas. In my college there are over 250 macs but there are under 50 pc's. I think that says something.

Oh by the way, Macs dont crash :P1. tell me how they are so much superior.

2. they do crash. just differently and worse than windows.

RedStarWarrior
28th November 2004, 05:42 PM
Number of computers being used means nothing. More people use IE that Firefox, but Firefox is better. I suggest you find some legitimate proof to back your claims, Kris.

Water Pokemon Master
28th November 2004, 09:15 PM

Yesterday.

Don't make the same mistake I did sista.

Oh by the way, Macs dont crash :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.hacker
28th November 2004, 11:02 PM
In my opinion, people should get use with PC's because the majority of the business world uses PC's, not Macs. Also, software is much easier to find for PC's than Mac's. But I now Mac's are more user friendly. But, if you want a computer for more business and industrial work, PC's are what you need.

If you've seen any top businesses that work in designing or coding things like video games then they'll be using Macs because they're better than PCs for the job.

Well, my brother works for Sony Online Entertainment, and they used PC's to write Everquest II...

That's interesting. At my university, we have PC's in every college, but I have yet to see a Mac....

Kris
29th November 2004, 03:12 AM
In my industry the word microsoft is considered swearing.

No one uses pc's, which is why there are sod all in my college.

And WPM Ive been using Macs for a while and Ive never had one go wrong. Their so much more reliable than PC's

kainashi
29th November 2004, 07:15 AM
In my industry the word microsoft is considered swearing.

No one uses pc's, which is why there are sod all in my college.

And WPM Ive been using Macs for a while and Ive never had one go wrong. Their so much more reliable than PC'swhat is your "industry"? can't understand your second sentence. the third, is personal preference. i've heard horror stories about the crashes in os x and they seem pretty bad. kernel doesn't panic in windows, at least. ;o

also, you didn't answer my question up there a bit. :s:

Kris
29th November 2004, 08:09 AM
My industry is design. No one in my industry uses a pc.

Ive my experience Macs run faster and more efficiently. Ive never known one to crash or go wrong.

I know that not everyone agree's with this, but from my point of view Macs are better (for me).

I just dont see why people sit there slagging off Macs, when most people dont know what they are talking about.

kainashi
29th November 2004, 08:34 AM
My industry is design. No one in my industry uses a pc.macs to seem better for that type of stuff, from what i've read. *shrug*

Ive my experience Macs run faster and more efficiently. Ive never known one to crash or go wrong.the chips in mac's and pc's are different architecture's, so that's pretty much null. use one long enough and it will crash. most, if not all, computers crash.

I know that not everyone agree's with this, but from my point of view Macs are better (for me).again, personal preference.

I just dont see why people sit there slagging off Macs, when most people dont know what they are talking about.i know what i'm talking about, though. http://pokemasters.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

RedStarWarrior
29th November 2004, 09:25 AM
I also know what I am talking about. I do graphic design as a hobby and have become quite accomplished using a PC. There are some people in the design industry who do use PCs and it is ignorant to think otherwise. I will admit that Macs are predominantly used in the design industry, though.

youdontknowme
29th November 2004, 06:32 PM
It is all a matter of personal preference, is it not?

Kris
29th November 2004, 06:39 PM
^

Got it in one.

And it depends what your using it for. Macs are better at somethings, where as PC's are better for others.

kainashi
29th November 2004, 06:48 PM
^

Got it in one.yet i said it twice in one post? :rolleyes:

MrMoogle16
29th November 2004, 07:37 PM
i like macs because they're less likely to get hacked. get it? get mac, not hacks. i'm a rappa straighta

kainashi
29th November 2004, 09:28 PM
i like macs because they're less likely to get hacked. get it? get mac, not hacks. i'm a rappa straightano one is going to waste their time hacking something that takes up less than 2% of the computer market. the more, the better. ;o

Jeff
29th November 2004, 10:25 PM
The one MAJOR advantage to having a Mac is that you do not have to put up with as much adware/spyware/viruses etc.

kainashi
29th November 2004, 10:32 PM
The one MAJOR advantage to having a Mac is that you do not have to put up with as much adware/spyware/viruses etc.using a non-ie browser will get you that too. :P

Kris
3rd December 2004, 06:49 AM
Im not sure if its just because Im not on i.e but there have been a few virus's going around lately on all my mates email, and Im the only one who it hasnt affected.

I know some virus's are non mac compatable.

I didnt realise that if you didnt use I.E you were less likely to get virus's. Well you learn something new every day

kainashi
3rd December 2004, 07:19 AM
Im not sure if its just because Im not on i.e but there have been a few virus's going around lately on all my mates email, and Im the only one who it hasnt affected.

I know some virus's are non mac compatable.

I didnt realise that if you didnt use I.E you were less likely to get virus's. Well you learn something new every daymost of the virus's online were made for internet explorer, since it's by far the most used browser (sadly). ;o

Kris
3rd December 2004, 07:24 AM
Ive only ever used I.E, safari and opera.

So havent been able to experience the greatness of the other ones!!

kainashi
3rd December 2004, 07:27 AM
Ive only ever used I.E, safari and opera.

So havent been able to experience the greatness of the other ones!!i've heard great things about safari but most of the people i know that use macs use firefox/camino as their browsers and not safari.

Kris
3rd December 2004, 07:36 AM
Safari came with it, and to be honest Ive got on with it so havent bothered to download anything new.

Its not like I do anything special with my browser

kainashi
3rd December 2004, 07:42 AM
Safari came with it, and to be honest Ive got on with it so havent bothered to download anything new.

Its not like I do anything special with my browserthat's one reason why people like firefox so much. it does what you want and if it doesn't, there's usually an extension for it. and it isn't bloated. :monocle:

Cheesey
3rd December 2004, 01:32 PM
I read through some of the recent posts (the whole little discussion that John and Kris had was funny) but I don't understand one thing; how is a Mac better than a PC, and vice versa? Not everyone needs the same and as everyone has said at least twice, in Ice Rabbits case it's a matter of personal preference. It's not as if he/she (sorry, I'm not sure on your gender and I don't want to make a mistake, heh) wants to do anything particularly complicated...

So yeah. Just try out Macs and PCs and see which you prefer. I'm not getting into the whole "oh Macs are superior!" thing because to be frank it's pretty silly... Like, Kris likes Macs a lot, but John prefers using PCs and as far as I know he's a lot more computer literate than Kris is. So yeah. Depends on what you want to do/prefer and stuff.

If you'd wanted to do more complex stuff then the discussions here might be a little deeper but to be honest, you can do what you want to do on either machine. Just go with what you like, neither one is "better" IMO. =)

Kris
4th December 2004, 04:39 PM
You are completely correct cheesey, but we need to know what Ive rabbit is planning on using the computer for.

Then we can say if a pc or a mac would be more suitable.

Cheesey
4th December 2004, 04:53 PM
I still want to make sigs. All I really need is the ability to make sigs, internet, Firefox, a good media player, maybe a good e-mail client (like Thunderbird), well, nothing much. Just the normal junk someone would need. Mac OS X can get all of that. But then again, so can a PC.

Kris, they've already said what they want to use the computer for... That's why this thread was started in the first place.

Kris
5th December 2004, 05:56 PM
I am dumb, please ignore me.

As your not planning on specialising then it doesnt really matter which one. But macs are more expensive so a PC might be better for you

youdontknowme
6th December 2004, 08:31 PM
But macs are more expensive so a PC might be better for you
Unless you're willing to spend more money for less problems. *hint hint*

Kris
8th December 2004, 04:41 PM
Unless you're willing to spend more money for less problems. *hint hint*

This isnt always true though

youdontknowme
8th December 2004, 06:24 PM
This isnt always true though
It is in the long run, is it not?