PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Naming Objects

Syberia
26th November 2004, 07:37 PM
Have any of you (for whatever reason) ever given a name to something other than a person/pet? If you did, this is the place to post it.

When I was about five, we had a red shop vacuum that I would always call Fred for some reason. We still have it, and everyone in the family still refers to it as Fred. I guess it's a lot shorter than calling it "the vacuum," though. My grandpa also had an old green vacuum that I used to call Queenie when I was about the same age. Don't ask :rolleyes:. He still has that too and, guess what, me and him both still call it Queenie without really thinking about it. Finally, my grandpa also has an old 1980 Dodge Ram that I used to call Old Red. It would have been mine, too, if I hadn't wanted my Bug instead. We both still call it that, too.

Little_Pikachu
26th November 2004, 08:18 PM
My favourite cuddly toys had names, other than that I can't think of anything.
All the mops in the cleaners cupboard at work have lables stuck on them with names on, not being on name based terms with the cleaners I don't know if they all have their own personal mop or if someone decided to give the cleaning utensils names...

Zak
26th November 2004, 08:30 PM
OMG, yes. We always tell all sorts of family stories about stuff like that.

When I was like two, we used to live in an appartment, and in the main stairway it was circling, and at the top there was a huge fan I loved to look at and called it "Hah". Every time I saw a fan anywhere, like at a grocery store or wherever, I used to point and say "HAH! HAH!".
Also, my mom had this triangular shaped deodorant stick that I used to always see when I went to the bathroom and enjoyed smelling it, and gave it the nickname "Zazzi" (don't ask, I was like 3).
Also I kind of forget the context how this came about, might have been a toy or a poster that was shaped like a star which I always called "Kee-ah" and I used to give that name to anything that was star-shaped.

Yes, I had one unique vocabulary.

~Zak

Kris
26th November 2004, 09:02 PM
Only my toys:)

Oh and we knicknamed out ski's at work

Toxicity
26th November 2004, 09:06 PM
When I was younger, I named my plush toys. But as I got older, nothing was really named unless somebody else did. My mom had a vine plant named Melvin once and my grandmother's car is named "Mulder" because it's on her license plate. :heh:

EDIT: Oh yeah. I finally remembered that my Magic 8 Ball was named Blacky. I also have a pencil with a threaded pin on the end named Fortune.

Yukitsukai
26th November 2004, 09:15 PM
Plenty.

Just a few:

1) My purse - Itty Bitty

2) Pink pen - Pinky

3) My cell phone - Bob (don't ask...)

4) Stuffed penguin - Pen Pen

Agent Elrond
26th November 2004, 09:16 PM
I have a sword named Zable, does that count?

Oh yeah, and my bike's name is La Fléche, as in The Arrow. It even has a name sticker on it provided by moi. :D

Krystalline Kabutops
26th November 2004, 09:37 PM
No, Although I've given most of my pets secondary names... For some reason, they all start with El xD El Nino, El Gato, El Rabbito, El Cheepso... And I don't even take Spanish o.o

Kris
26th November 2004, 10:01 PM
No, Although I've given most of my pets secondary names... For some reason, they all start with El xD El Nino, El Gato, El Rabbito, El Cheepso... And I don't even take Spanish o.o

And to think I just name my pets Ozzy, Megan and Winston

I feel so boring now

Jay
27th November 2004, 12:28 AM
No. I used to name my stuffed toys when I was five, and that was also the time I grew out of giving names to objects also.

Cheesey
27th November 2004, 07:54 AM
I don't think I named many objects... I do remember calling ambulances "neenaws" though because I couldn't pronounce ambulance. I always got my tongue in a twist and then my Mum laughed at me. :< But it made sense at the time, seeing as I was only about 3 years old and they did go neenaw... Heard them a lot too, they always seemed to be zooming about the place. I'm not sure that every time they actually had something to take care of, I think they liked just driving around making loud noises for fun. Although I don't think that would've been legal or anything so I doubt that they really did so. =P

JamieC
27th November 2004, 09:30 AM
My microwave is called Derek. In honour of the psychopathic evil twin of Sunset Beach (of course)

I felt it a fitting tribute to one of the great classic tv shows of our time.

RIP Sunset Beach, may your re-run on five continue

Lady Vulpix
27th November 2004, 04:02 PM
I've created a language, thus giving names to lots of things. But if you mean proper names, yes, I've named most of my toys to start, and some other things too. The last object I've named was a sheet of paper I'm using to list what's left to do of my thesis. I named it "Papel que no se debe perder" (paper which must not get lost).

Chikoo
27th November 2004, 05:05 PM
I named my bicycle (with training wheels, baby) "Puss". Hmmm.. I remember I used to call my computer screen 'Dorotea' for a while. :o

phaedrus
27th November 2004, 06:34 PM
i have this blanket titled "pilli" 8)

mr_pikachu
27th November 2004, 10:49 PM
I used to name my stuffed animals. I also had names for a few of my toy cars... o_0 Yeah, don't ask. Oh, and the TV remote will be forever known, by our family and our descendants, as the dipper. I have no idea how that got started, but it stuck.

Mab the Mad Clefable
28th November 2004, 02:40 PM
Well, my toys all have names and random things often get called Fred and my hoover is called Henry for some reason.... I should give more things names really as I'm in the habit of talking to inanimate objects anyway!