PDA

View Full Version : Newb help

Burgs
27th November 2004, 08:58 PM
Okay, I'm not THAT much of a newb, as I played heavily when RBY and GS were around, and I got Sapphire and played it a bit, only to really stop playing...I recently picked up my GBA again, and I'm suddenly back into it...I read a few guides online, and saw some stuff about IVs and EVs, and etc., and it really blew my mind the complexity of the game.

So, a few questions.

1. Are there competitions or something like that where you actually go and compete for prizes/pride, or do you just build these teams for competition informally with friends, etc.?
2. What techinques do you use for leveling these guys...In Yellow, it took me forever to get Alakazam to Level 100, but I did it all by battling the Elite 4 many times...is there a more effective way?
3. Not playing Sapphire a lot, I don't know a lot of the "sercets" of the game, you know, the stuff that couldn't be figured out in game. I do know the IV/EVs, though, so you don't have to explain that. I especially want to know if "Shinies" have any particular statistical value, other than looking cool.
4. Since I'm new to this Power Training stuff, what would be a good pokemon to start building up? In game, I'm right at Victory Road, although I haven't gotten through it, and Most of my party is in the lv40s. Or is it best that I start over and plan everything better?

All help is appreiciated! :)

Number1ChanseyFan
27th November 2004, 09:31 PM
1. It all depends... Some places do have competitions for Pokémon, usually at shopping malls or stores like Toys R Us. You would have to look around at some of the places in your area and see if they have any competitions Maybe even video game stores like GameStop would have some info. Here in Northeastern Ohio, (where I live) Pokémon is not as popular as it once was, and competitions are pretty rare, the Toys R Us by my house had acouple or tournaments right after Fire Red/Leaf Green was released, but that has been about it.

2. The Elite 4 in pretty much still the quickest way to level up. However, if you want to seriously train your Pokémon, and you are not just raising your Pokémon to complete your Pokédex, you will want to EV train your Pokémon before you start battling the Elite 4, so that you won't mess up your Pokémon's stat distribution.

3. No, shinies used to have certain set stats back in the GSC days. (they had above average stats, but they didn't have max stats.) Also, breeding a shiny Pokémon with a non-shiny would give you a 1 in 64 chance of getting a shiny baby. Now, in the Advanced Generation games, shiny Pokémon do not have any set stat values, they can have any stats/personalities/genders/etc.... Also, breeding shiny Pokémon will not increase your chances of getting a shiny baby. Getting a shiny is a totally random occurance, there is about a 1 in 8192 chance of finding a shiny, no matter what you do. (Catching in the wild, hatching from an egg, getting a Pokémon from somebody, such as the Beldum you get from Steven after you defeat him and the Elite 4, etc...) So basically, shiny Pokémon are nothing more than "trophy" Pokémon. They may have good personalities and good stats, or they may not. There really is no bonus for getting a shiny, outside of the fact that they are nice to look at!! ;)

4. Level 40 Pokémon should be able to get through the Elite 4, although you will want to keep some healing items and revives with you. Basically, you can beat the game with almost any Pokémon team, you can use your favorites, just try to balance out your types. Water/Ice Pokémon will help you a lot in beating the Elite 4, as well as Electric and Fire types.

Burgs
28th November 2004, 12:19 AM
1. It all depends... Some places do have competitions for Pokémon, usually at shopping malls or stores like Toys R Us. You would have to look around at some of the places in your area and see if they have any competitions Maybe even video game stores like GameStop would have some info. Here in Northeastern Ohio, (where I live) Pokémon is not as popular as it once was, and competitions are pretty rare, the Toys R Us by my house had acouple or tournaments right after Fire Red/Leaf Green was released, but that has been about it.

--> Is there a place on the web where I could find listings/info on those?

2. The Elite 4 in pretty much still the quickest way to level up. However, if you want to seriously train your Pokémon, and you are not just raising your Pokémon to complete your Pokédex, you will want to EV train your Pokémon before you start battling the Elite 4, so that you won't mess up your Pokémon's stat distribution.

--> I'm still new to this, so is there a listing of places to EV train and/or techinques I should know about? (I'm sure the listing of the amount for each pkmn is out there, so I'll search for it)

3. No, shinies used to have certain set stats back in the GSC days. (they had above average stats, but they didn't have max stats.) Also, breeding a shiny Pokémon with a non-shiny would give you a 1 in 64 chance of getting a shiny baby. Now, in the Advanced Generation games, shiny Pokémon do not have any set stat values, they can have any stats/personalities/genders/etc.... Also, breeding shiny Pokémon will not increase your chances of getting a shiny baby. Getting a shiny is a totally random occurance, there is about a 1 in 8192 chance of finding a shiny, no matter what you do. (Catching in the wild, hatching from an egg, getting a Pokémon from somebody, such as the Beldum you get from Steven after you defeat him and the Elite 4, etc...) So basically, shiny Pokémon are nothing more than "trophy" Pokémon. They may have good personalities and good stats, or they may not. There really is no bonus for getting a shiny, outside of the fact that they are nice to look at!! ;)

--> I figured ;). Although I didn't know that they had special stats in the GSC verisons

4. Level 40 Pokémon should be able to get through the Elite 4, although you will want to keep some healing items and revives with you. Basically, you can beat the game with almost any Pokémon team, you can use your favorites, just try to balance out your types. Water/Ice Pokémon will help you a lot in beating the Elite 4, as well as Electric and Fire types.

--> Thanks, I'll try to do that tonight

Also, I've searched on the web for info on Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green, but can't seem to find a quick list of the improvements/changes from the other versions, could someone help me here?

andyizcool
28th November 2004, 07:05 AM
Also, I've searched on the web for info on Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green, but can't seem to find a quick list of the improvements/changes from the other versions, could someone help me here?
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green are remakes of Pokemon RBY but with the new graphics used in Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Pokemon FR/LG also have nine new Islands but for the last two you'll need Special Tickets from Nintendo Events. This is because the rare Legendary Pokemon Lugia and Ho-oh are on Navel Rock (Island 8) and Deoxys is on Birth Island (Island 9). The Elite 4 also improve after doing the Island Events so you'll be seeing your Rival add Tyranitar and Heracross to his Team as well as Leveling up about 20 Levels.

Pokemon Emerald on the other hand is the Special Version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. The main character on Pokemon Emerald will have new green clothes to begin with compared to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. When you've completed your Hoenn Pokedex catching all 200 Pokemon you'll be allowed to choose a Johto Starter Pokemon from the Professor. Pokemon Emerald allows you to catch both Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza all at Level 70 later in the story. The island where the Battle Tower was on Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire has now turned into the Battle Frontier on Pokemon Emerald with loads of stuff to do on it. Non Hoenn Pokemon can also be found in Pokemon Emerald like Ditto and Sudowoodo.

rinku
28th November 2004, 04:36 PM
There have been a few minor changes to the Red/Blue encounter areas in FR/LG (such as removing Chansey from Unknown Dungeon - now known as Cerulean Cave), but the major change I found was that you now have natures and special abilities. Some of the special abilities make major shifts to the internal "balance of power" - Gengar is now immune to Ground for example, and Meowth can Pickup stuff (though the Pickup mix is different to Ruby/Sapphire). I kept forgetting Spearow and Pidgey have Keen Eye - the old standard of starting a low level Pidgey v Pidgey battle with Sand Attack does not work... ;)

I found it definitely worthwhile in its own right. It was fun to replay the old school in true colour, and there was enough new twists to keep me on my toes. Also has a much better pokédex and improved box system than R/S (you can easily see who has what items in a box and swap them around without having to withdraw them).

Emerald looks to be the pick of the bunch, much as Crystal was in the previous generation. I'll be getting it (hey... it's green!)

Burgs
28th November 2004, 09:40 PM
thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it :)