PDA

View Full Version : Detailed discussion: bosugodora

stickachu
28th February 2003, 03:24 PM
First one of the day, and i've still got a lot more coming. better hurry up and get this over with.

type: rock/steel

immunities: poison
resistances: normal (x4), ice, flying (x4), psychic, bug, rock, ghost, dragon,dark
weaknesses: water, fighting (x4), ground (x4)

moves:
learned by level
1 tackle
4 harden
7 mud-slap
10 headbutt
13 metal claw
17 iron wall (iron defense)
21 roar
25 take down
29 iron tail
37 protect
50 metal sound
63 Double-edge

TMs and HMs

Scream punch
dragon claw
waterway
roar
toxic
hidden power
sunny day
provocation
ice beam
blizzard
hyper beam
protect
rain dance
frustration
solarbeam
iron tail
thunderbolt
thunder
earthquake
return
dig
combo
double team
electroshock
flamethrower
sandstorm
fire blast
rock tomb
beak slash
bravado
secret power
rest
attract
cut
surf
strength
rock smash

egg moves

reckless
body slam
stomp
encouragement

characteristics:
Solid - one hit KO moves have no effect
rock head - does not recieve recoil damage

Base stats
HP ATK DFN Sp SA SD
70 110 180 50 60 60

First off, I think you can plainly see that this guy has awesome physical stats. BUT, his special stats kinda suck. Oh well, we'll work around that. I guess we'll start with the most common moveset for this guy...

trait: rock head
@leftovers (or quick claw)
personality: -Sp. ATK, + Sp. DEF
double-edge
earthquake
metal claw
roar

As far as I can tell, this is THE moveset for the guy. Double-edge is the primary attacking move as it's really strong and due to rock head, bosugodora doesn't take recoil damage. Earthquake and metal claw are other strong physical attacks. This moveset takes full advantage of bosugodora's physical strength. If you encounter a strong special attacker (or a fighting or ground pokemon), get the heck out. You can use roar to get rid of pokemon that build up their defense, or pokemon that are just bugging you. :P

The problem is, this moveset is already obscenely common and the game isn't even released yet in the US. So, let's alter it a little. One option is to try and add ice beam. It's very risky coming from his LOW special attack, but it's possible you might be able to take out a ground type with it (as they typically have very low special defense) Of course, you'd have to do it before they get an attack off as bosugodora suffers a whopping 4 times weakness to ground. Luckily, even though bosugodora is SLOW, a lot of ground types are even slower. It's very risky though, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I wanna try a special set, as absolutely no one will expect it (well, now they will :P)

@ quick claw or leftovers
trait: doesn't matter. might as well go with solid.
personality: - ATK, + Sp. ATK or Sp. DEF
metal sound
sunny day
fire blast
solarbeam

First use metal sound to greatly lower your opponent's special defense. Then use sunny day to power up fire blast and help out solarbeam. Even though his special attack is low, with your opponent's spec. def lowered and sunny day powering up your attacks, you should be able to do some damage. Obviously, this isn't the use bosugodora was intended for, but it's always an option.

Speaking of what this guy was intended for, did anyone else notice this guy learns a TON of special attacks? What's with that? His special attack is bad! I guess we CAN use metal sound to remedy it...

personality: -ATK, + Sp. ATK
metal sound
ice beam
flamethrower
thunderbolt

Of course, you could always throw surf in there too. Still, his special attack really can't handle this set, but we might as well have some fun! :D

I guess we could go for an annoyance set...
@ leftovers
iron wall
roar
sandstorm / toxic
double - edge

I wish this guy could learn a trapping move. Oh well. Use iron wall to boost his defense to an insane level, roar out any special attackers, then double-edge them while sandstorm/toxic wear them down. Of course, with bosugodora's attack, the annoyance is redundant. So let's drop it...

iron wall
roar
double-edge
earthquake

we got rid of the annoyance move because bosugodora's attack is just too good. But now, we look and see that iron wall is kind of pointless as his defense is already darn high...

roar
double-edge
earthquake
metal claw

look familiar? there's a reason this set is popular, it seems to be the one that works best. of course, we could always substitute combo over metal claw, but the end result is the same.

Wow... I didn't end up revealing too much there. I guess this time, the popular set is really the one that I'd choose myself. Darn, i wanted to be original. Oh well, i still have 5 more chances to do that today. cya soon!

Vega
28th February 2003, 03:28 PM
two things that make this thing pretty useless:

e-qauke and surf are the most common moves in the game

there are loads of new fire types.

Dark_rhyhorn
28th February 2003, 03:57 PM
Metal claw is too weak. I'd use iron tail. Yes it not accuate but it all we got. This and steelix is the only time i'd use Iron tail.

stickachu
28th February 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dark_rhyhorn
Metal claw is too weak. I'd use iron tail. Yes it not accuate but it all we got. This and steelix is the only time i'd use Iron tail.

I'd like to post a rebuttal by saying NEVER use iron tail. Accuracy counts in this game, and the added power just doesn't seem worth it.

hebesphenomegacorona
28th February 2003, 04:24 PM
And Metal claw must be the MOST PP-efficient move in the game.

Dr Crocodile
28th February 2003, 04:35 PM
I've been waiting for this:

Bosougodora@ +Speed Berry
Personality: +SpDef and -Def or +Atk/Def and -SpAtk
Ability: Rock Head

Iron Defense
Reckless
Double Edge
Earthquake/Combo

This moveset is incredibly risky but should it work could take out one of your opponents pokemon as well as nearly KO another. The plan here is that you use Iron Defense to ensure that you can't be OHKO by any Physical attack. Unless of course they land a Critical Hit Cross Chop from a Machamp. Other than that you're fine. You take a hit and on that same turn use Reckless. They should be hurting now but so should you. Your Speed Berry kicks in and you are able to use DE or whatever to finish them off. The next opponent comes in and becuase of your increased speed, you can Reckless them before you die. Switch in a fast pokemon or one that know Pursuit and you have youself 2 KOed enemy pokemon in like 4 turns. The -Def personailty would be so that you take enough damage to get in the red zone. That way if you used Reckless that turn, you can KO them the next one. IEven with a -Def personality, Bousogodora's defenses are still so high that you should survive ok if you use Iron Defense. You could also go for a +Atk personality for more damage, a +SpDef persoanilty so you could try to pull the same trick against a water type, a personality with normal or boosted Defense so that you can wait out your opponent better instead of going for the near suicidal kill in 2 turns. Of course, be sure not to switch him into a fighting move or Earthquake or else he may be too weak to pull this off. He needs full health from the begining to pull this off.

Azura Stardust
28th February 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Vega

...No.

Deck Knight
28th February 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Vega
two things that make this thing pretty useless:

e-qauke and surf are the most common moves in the game

You'd be a fool to leave Bogey against a Water, and I believe most Ground types are part Rock in RS. There is also the little matter of Iron Defense, which effectively makes Earthquake next to useless, Machamp is another thing you switch out for. Now... if only Weezing or Gengar were in RS(Tbolters)... Guess you'll have to settle for Furaigon(yeah... settle... right).

No. There is Blaziken and Torkoal, the only viable threats. Bosugodora can also take out theose fire pokemon with Earthquake, Heck, its not even weak to fire. This leaves Blaziken, the only viable challenger, who can Mirror Move Equake and pwn you... ouch.

Scythemantis
28th February 2003, 08:14 PM
The only new fire types are blaziken, the turtle, and the camel, and the only OLD fire type that's catchable is vulpix/ninetales...not what I'd call "loads". In fact, that's the most common complaint about the game, that there are barely any new fire pokemon.

Kokomo
28th February 2003, 11:25 PM
umm...deck knight weezing is in r/s;)

Aninymouse
1st March 2003, 12:45 AM
ah yes... Bosugodra... i love this guy, i have one on my team

problem with the guy is that he is a Rhydon clone, in more ways than one. like rhydon, he has low speed and specials. like rhydon, he can learn a bunch of special moves no one will ever use. however, unlike rhydon, he does not have any decent STAB attacks. rhydon has clear uses, thats why he's sooooo popular. this guy... he's a rhydon wannabe who can stay alive longer.

anyway, a set. as usual tho, Dr.Croc is right on. guy's got REAL talent, and dedication.

Ability: Solid (whatever)
@Bright Powder
Body Slam
Earthquake
Tsubamegaeshi
Double Team

the whole basis of this set is Body Slam, whic this guy makes great use of. After a likely spell of Paralysis, your opponent is in for some Evasion raising. its kinda blah, but so is this guy. let's try...

Ability: Solid
@Quick Claw, Leftovers
Sandstorm
Body Slam
Double Team
Earthquake

a bit more annoyance, and more focused. again heavily reliant on Body Slam. now, recless...

Ability:
@speed chip/berry
Reckless
Body Slam
Iron Defense
Combo

a nice body slammin version of Doc Croc's set. he has the right idea, as always.

Triple T
1st March 2003, 01:54 PM
I don't think Metal Claw is even worth it....I'd put Surf over it to catch Golems/Grounds/Rhydons on the switch.

Dr Crocodile
1st March 2003, 10:38 PM
Going on that whole Metal Sound Idea, you could be very sneaky about it. Rock Head + Voltekka + Metal Sound could do quite a bit on damage to enemy water types. Of coure, the opponent is more likely to switch in a Ground or Fighting type so it may all be a mute point.