PDA

View Full Version : Everquest and other MMORPGs

Metallixs Girl
2nd December 2004, 03:13 PM
I would love to be able to play an MMORPG but I'm not allowed because my parents don't want me getting obsessed and "becoming someone else" as my mom said once. (it was cool though lol, my mom's cool. :)) I can only play RPGs that have a storyline and end. Morrowind cuts it close but it DOES have a main quest. If it doesn't end, I can't play it. I can accept this because you do have to pay $15 a month to live a fantasy character's life. But I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

What is Everquest like? What kind of races can you be? Any angels or faeries with wings? How does your character live?

My parents are NOT super-strict video-game haters but there are light limits. I was playing Mortal Kombat when I was 7. Basically I can play anything except most M games (not that I would want to anyway) that have more-than-mild swearing or Adult content, but my brother (and me if I wanted to but I'm an RPG person) is allowed to play GTA. And I can't play MMORPGs or "games with no end" since that huge news special about EQ.

This is not a rant, I'm pretty happy that my parents care enough to set a limit but also care enough to be pretty loose with it. (but they trust me because I grew up on video games but I used to get completely hooked for hours and days on certain games, never wanting to quit, so I can understand the MMORPG concern. :))

How do/did your parents feel about video games? If you had limits what were they?

ryandude713
2nd December 2004, 03:31 PM
my parents dont like video games solely because it distracts me from studying
they dont like mmo's because i have to pay a monthly fee
my advice: tell them the news report was made by terrorists to stop america's economy from increasing.

PNT510
2nd December 2004, 06:15 PM
I played everquest for a few months about 3 or 4 years ago. The game was nothing special. It was just a bunch of people standing around for an hour looking for a good party. And then it was a bunch of standing around waiting for monsters to spawn.

Craig
4th December 2004, 04:41 PM
I can only play RPGs that have a storyline and end. Morrowind cuts it close but it DOES have a main quest. If it doesn't end, I can't play it. I can accept this because you do have to pay $15 a month to live a fantasy character's life. But I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

The game doesn't "end" its open ended. However it feels like you are "complete" when you reach max levels and are doing the final raid content etc.

What is Everquest like? What kind of races can you be? Any angels or faeries with wings? How does your character live?

Everquest is lame. World of Warcraft.

Everquest and WoW have a lot of the same races, like Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, etc. Just their looks differ a bit, I can't think of any (semi-decent) MMORPGs that allow you to play a character similar to an angelic figure or faerie.

And I can't play MMORPGs or "games with no end" since that huge news special about EQ.

Tell your mom that guy that comitted suicide was actually playing EQ as a stress reliever and was already chronically depresed, got seizures often from any screen and all kinds of other crap that pointed to EQ not being the main motivator for his death.

Basically, MMORPGs can hook you, but unless you are weak-minded / uber nerd they don't dominate your life

(World of Warcraft > Everquest)

Heald
4th December 2004, 05:00 PM
My mother has very little problem with the games I play. However, she was in earshot of the PS2 and TV when I was playing San Andreas and heard the dialogue because Kent Paul and some British Band guy...Maccer or something. Anyway, considering it contains probably every swearword invented, she stormed in wanting to know what was this 'filth' I was watching. I replied it was San Andreas. She nodded and left. That's the only time she has really objected to anything I've played.

She doesn't mind me paying MMORPGs since I pay for them myself and I've never actually paid at all since I've always realised the game was crap before the 30-day free trial ended (except in the cases of EVE and Planetside, but I've stopped playing those so I no longer pay for them).

Oh yeah, and Everquest was crap. Avoid.

Razola
8th December 2004, 03:24 AM
Games like Morrowind end. Expansions and patches may come, but support quickly sputters out.

MMORPGs are not "never-ending" but indeed long-term. Since the servers cost money, there's a need to draw in new subscribers while keeping the old ones. As a result, a good MMORPG is dynamic and changing. City of Heroes is barely half a year old and already has three patches that add what many would consider an expansion's worth of content.

As for my parents, I'm twenty-years-old and free to make my own choices. So long as they aren't putting me in the gutter. As a matter of fact, the last game that I was prohibited to play due to content was...Wolfenstein 3D. And my dad only held out for about two weeks on that (and we learned about it from him playing it). Ironically, his biggest beef was that the first person view gave him headaches.

Your parents' view of MMORPFGs is media hogwash. How many addicted people have you heard about on the news? A handful in the past decade. How many people suscribe to MMORPGs these days? Hundreds of thousands.

Heald
8th December 2004, 11:53 AM
Your parents' view of MMORPFGs is media hogwash. How many addicted people have you heard about on the news? A handful in the past decade. How many people suscribe to MMORPGs these days? Hundreds of thousands.This kinda reminds me how I was forbidden to get a scooter when I was 16 because my mother had read about how a French girl had got a scooter for her 14th birthday and died in a road accident...and I was only joking about getting a scooter too.

rinku
8th December 2004, 05:14 PM
Speaking as a parent, I'd certainly be more concerned about something like GTA (any version) than Everquest. But that's just a matter for age-appropriateness. I have young kids, so I'm deliberately avoiding owning or playing any GTA.

It sounds like the special in question is recycling the old D&D killer story that has been around for more than 20 years. The bottom line is that if you are unstable enough to be triggered by an RPG (paper or computer) you are probably going to be triggered by a movie, a book or a bad life experience.

One more reasonable concern with MMORPGs in my opinion is the unrestricted community aspect. However, if your parents are OK with you using normal chatrooms and forums, they should be OK with a MMORPG.

phaedrus
8th December 2004, 09:32 PM
everquest blows, and some people kill themselves over it, or so i've heard.

Diablo II: Lord of Destruction gives free servers, but then again hacks lurk like crazy. and watch out for tppkers too.

Metallixs Girl
8th December 2004, 10:30 PM
Speaking as a parent, I'd certainly be more concerned about something like GTA (any version) than Everquest. But that's just a matter for age-appropriateness. I have young kids, so I'm deliberately avoiding owning or playing any GTA.

It sounds like the special in question is recycling the old D&D killer story that has been around for more than 20 years. The bottom line is that if you are unstable enough to be triggered by an RPG (paper or computer) you are probably going to be triggered by a movie, a book or a bad life experience.

One more reasonable concern with MMORPGs in my opinion is the unrestricted community aspect. However, if your parents are OK with you using normal chatrooms and forums, they should be OK with a MMORPG.

You're right, GTA does sound worse. Actually it might be in part to the community because that would make it more realistic, you know? I'm allowed to use forums and talk on AIM to people from those forums, but not really supposed to talk to random people, y'know? In that special it showed someone kill theirself over some relationship or something. Like they were actually their character.

Also I forgot to mention part of their concern comes from my uncle who got kinda obsessed with this game, I think it's called, Ghost Cron? It is an online ghost army game.

Oh well I plan to get a new computer specially designed for games, and maybe I could get them to let me try one out for awhile.

Razola
9th December 2004, 02:38 AM
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction gives free servers, but then again hacks lurk like crazy. and watch out for tppkers too.
Diablo, however, limits servers to like 8 people and the world resets itself. Guild Wars will be similar to this setup, though marketing has tricked people into thinking it's some sort of MMORPG.

rinku
9th December 2004, 06:50 PM
Oh well I plan to get a new computer specially designed for games, and maybe I could get them to let me try one out for awhile.

I think that's the best approach. Just demonstate your own responsibility and they should be able to accept that you aren't going to go obsessive/compulsive on them.

AbareMax
20th December 2004, 03:34 PM
I've never played Everquest, because I don't like the fact that you have to pay money to play the game...However, I have played Diablo 2 LoD, and it's a pretty sweet game. Just recently, though, I have discovered a new MMORPG called "Priston Tale". You pick your character from 1 of 2 tribes, and then there are 4 characters in each of the two tribes. You pick one, and then you select it's facial features, hair color, etc. Once you're in the game you just go off and do whatever. You can also do quests, but that's optional There's usually a lot of people in the game (especially brazillians..lol) who will give items to newbies, but don't go broadcasting to everyone that you're a n00b! The great thing about this game is you can have an unlimited amount of characters up to level 39, and then if you want, you can pay monthly subscriptions, or just start a new character... If you're interested go to www.pristontale.com and download the game. The best server to play on is the Awell server and Alpha. Right now there are Santa Goblins that randomly spawn anywhere in the game and drop rare items if you kill them....Heheheheehe

ditto_pokefreak
28th December 2004, 02:54 PM
If you haven't played a MMORPG before and would like to try, I believe Anarchy Online (basically Everquest in space) is offering a one-year free thing (registeration before January 15). WoW is nice, but it is pretty heavy on the pocketbook, so might as well try a free one first before shilling out cash. Also I wish you all could blow my hard, hot steamy c0ck.