PDA

View Full Version : Fan Fiction help please

Paper Bag
3rd December 2004, 05:06 AM
I'm new here and I would like to write a fan fiction but I haven't got a clue where to start,can someone give me some pointers please?

mr_pikachu
3rd December 2004, 05:36 AM
Let's see... we used to have a "How to write fanfiction thread" up here, I think... but I can't find it now. Well, I'll just help you the old-fashioned way, then!

Alright... I'm assuming you want to write a Pokemon fanfic, judging from the fact that you didn't mention another series you wanted to write about when you posted. (It's fine if you want to do another series; I'm just guessing at your intentions.) First of all, don't feel like you have to follow the storyline of the games or the shows in any way. The whole point is for you to have your own take on the Pokemon world, so it's usually best to deviate a bit from the standard idea. Many fics on the forum aren't about training at all, in fact. I remember one that was, at least at the start, about a girl who helped on an Arcanine ranch. There are also others that incorporate other elements with the training aspect of it all. It could have to do with a personal mission, saving the world, or even committing crimes. (Not overly violent/graphic stuff, though.) Just try to come up with an original concept and follow it.

Also, it's always a good idea to look through the chapters as you write them and edit each one before you post it. It can be very difficult to read unedited work sometimes, especially if you know that a single glance would help the writer to correct dozens of typos and such to make the work clearer.

Don't feel the need to rush, either. I see too many writers fall into the trap of posting a chapter a day (or more...) and not understanding why their chapters aren't getting as many good reviews as the ones that writers spend much more time on. Take your time; relax. Let the writing flow on its own. If you hurry too much, you'll burn yourself out in the end. After all, you don't start a marathon with a sprint.

Finally, just have fun with it. You'll probably have a people say they like your work, and you may have some who give you pointers on things to improve. (A few of us here are notorious for that, so don't be shocked if one or more of us gives you some advice.) And remember, we're all friends here. If we criticize you, it's not to be mean. It's so you can get even better at writing. So enjoy your time here, and have fun writing fanfiction! Don't forget to read, as well!

Gavin Luper
3rd December 2004, 05:47 AM
Make up a person and put them in any old situation, maybe they're at home bored, maybe they're in the middle of a high speed chase, whatever suits you. Then just build on their story and let it all flow!

Good luck, hope to read your fic when you write it! If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Kris
3rd December 2004, 07:12 AM
Fanfics can be about anyone or anything, the best way to get advice is to ask questions. Im sure there are more than a few people who would be willing to help you and give you advice.

Good luck

PancaKe
3rd December 2004, 07:21 AM
(A few of us here are notorious for that, so don't be shocked if one or more of us gives you some advice.)

^ talking for yourself.

lol.

hey, its great to see someone who wants to write! Basically, if you dont want to follow a certain plot youve had, then don't write that fic. You need to follow the flow and just write what ever is in your heart/head.

^.^ It's not that hard, and besides, mr pikachu will totally point out every grammar mistake anyway so you dont even need to edit! (jk plz use spell checker)

and besides, while you're hanging out, pop into Smiley Town and chat there - its basically fanficer hangout. postcount ++

lol . cya round!

Mewfour
25th December 2004, 01:18 AM
Do you have a relativley thick hide?

Can you withstand the harshest and most unforgiving nitpick critisism?

If you can, you're a God amongst insects, and should visit here (http://www.godawful.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=5). I can't stand the bit by bit dissection, mainly because I have an ego the size of friggin' Ontario (see: My custom user text). But if you can, then by all means run your ideas and worries past them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go look in the mirror again. Whosat SEXAY BOY?

so lonley......

PancaKe
25th December 2004, 06:36 AM
Hey! No advertising!

But seeing that it is relevant to the topic.. I'll let you pass ;)

Besides.. I cant even figure out that place. Where are the fics? (damn im such a n00b at heart)