PDA

View Full Version : My Dad and Browsers

Metallixs Girl
3rd December 2004, 03:00 PM
For over a year now I've been hearing about how bad IE is and that Opera and Firefox are tons better. So I tried them both. FF was too much like IE for my tastes and I hated the download thing for some reason. I dunno why but I don't feel very comfortable with a "build-your-own-browser" type thing. I can do it, but all extra plugins in general make me uneasy like it wasn't built right or something.

So then I tried Opera and it was heaven! I have never had a more wonderful browsing experiance then when I used Opera. The Wand and "Continue from Last Time" are fantastic, and so is being able to reopen an accendentally closed window. And absolutely NOTHING ON EARTH can get past Opera's popup blocker (seriously, if anyone knows a popup that got through, let me know what it was)

My dad hates the idea of us using any other browser except IE. He thinks that the other browsers won't pay too much attention to security and the more features it has the more vulnerable it is. (I know, I know, don't say anything...) The thing is, he's very very good with Windows and computer stuff in general except when it comes to browsers...

Anyway he let me use Opera for about half a year (each of us has our own XP account and everyone else was still using IE) and then one day, Twaintech infiltrated the system, and he had to reset the whole thing. Guess what he blamed? Yep. Even though I tried to tell him that the evil files were in the IEcache, he said they came in through Opera so I had to uninstall it.

I've shown him every news article I could find and they didn't work. Now that FF has gained some attention and even gained a spot on the news, I'm hearing even more and more that switching is best. After it was on, I asked him if I could try Firefox since it was on the news (Even though I hate it I thought maybe someday if he got used to it he would let me have my Opera back) and he said no. He said "Remember what happened last time you used a different browser?"

So now I feel like everything is progressing, and I'm being left behind. :( The thing is, he technically gave me this computer when I bought XP out of my own money since ME was nearly dead. It's also the family comp. He has his own newer comp 8 feet away and it is always giving him problems even after he deleted everyone else's account but his and makes anyone else who uses it use a guest account (it has a CD burner and this one doesn't)

Usually he's very nice, just in the area of browsing, he's a little slow, heh. I know he's trying to do what he believes is best for the computer. (we use Norton, AVG, Registry Machanic, and various spyware killers including Adaware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster and a few he paid for)

I just needed to vent my frustration that I'm literally stuck on IE. Do any of your parents get really strict in certain computing areas?

Ice Rabbit
3rd December 2004, 07:00 PM
Just march up there and tell him how wrong he is.

Jeff
3rd December 2004, 10:40 PM
Wow, my family's the exact oppisite. I started using Firefox back when it was still Firebird and loved it (the popup blocker especially) and a while later my family started noticing the mass amounts of adware piling up on the family computer and my sister's computer and that mine had virtually none, so I told them about Firefox and they've all been using it ever since.

My parents are never like that to me since I know alot more about computers than them. In fact every time the computer has any kind of problem they come right to me, I'm almost afraid of the amount of computer related phone calls I'm going to get from them when I eventually move out :P

youdontknowme
4th December 2004, 12:34 AM
lol, I'm the most computing person in my family and I know the most. :) I'm free. :P

Sorry about your problem, though.
BTW, when did "Twaintech" screw up your computer? When you were using it? When your dad was using it?

shazza
4th December 2004, 02:12 AM
i use firefox/opera both reguarly, and think they are both great. i guess i am lucky, as my dad doesn't even know what the hell firefox/opera is.

RedStarWarrior
4th December 2004, 02:15 AM
Heh. I used to use Opera, but I prefer Firefox. My dad fully supports it.

Metallixs Girl
4th December 2004, 11:20 AM
lol, I'm the most computing person in my family and I know the most. :) I'm free. :P

Sorry about your problem, though.
BTW, when did "Twaintech" screw up your computer? When you were using it? When your dad was using it?

Me or someone else was using it, he doesn't use this computer.

Syberia
4th December 2004, 12:08 PM
My dad was using FireFox long before I even knew what it was. We all have our own computers so we use whatever we want, though. Too bad my mom still thinks Netscape is some sort of god :(.

And if you own the computer, why is this even an issue?

Metallixs Girl
4th December 2004, 12:30 PM
My dad was using FireFox long before I even knew what it was. We all have our own computers so we use whatever we want, though. Too bad my mom still thinks Netscape is some sort of god :(.

And if you own the computer, why is this even an issue?

I have no idea. They refer to it as my computer (it was dad's before he got his newer one) It's a cream-colored Dell Pentium III and he has a black Dell Pentium4. But it's technically the family computer still, but I use it most and am responsible for it. But I think everything else but the OS is still his, lol.

Aipom Of Doom
4th December 2004, 12:36 PM
yeah... that really sucks :/. I don't know what to suggest other than buying your own computer that is actually yours and therefore you can do what you want with. Or, since you "own" the OS, remove Windows and use Linux instead =P.

kainashi
4th December 2004, 12:49 PM
Or, since you "own" the OS, remove Windows and use Linux instead =P.and what good would that do?

Metallixs Girl
4th December 2004, 12:49 PM
yeah... that really sucks :/. I don't know what to suggest other than buying your own computer that is actually yours and therefore you can do what you want with. Or, since you "own" the OS, remove Windows and use Linux instead =P.

Believe it or not, I actually tried that! With Knoppix. That was when ME was on the verge of death and I showed him the (uninstalled) CD. He refuses to use anything but Windows and told me to buy XP. He said after I got XP, Linux wouldn't be necessary.

kainashi
4th December 2004, 03:03 PM
Believe it or not, I actually tried that! With Knoppix. That was when ME was on the verge of death and I showed him the (uninstalled) CD. He refuses to use anything but Windows and told me to buy XP. He said after I got XP, Linux wouldn't be necessary.it isn't necessary, really. unless you absolutely hate windows and feel like learning an os that is a lot harder to use than it. ;o

Metallixs Girl
4th December 2004, 03:45 PM
it isn't necessary, really. unless you absolutely hate windows and feel like learning an os that is a lot harder to use than it. ;o

Yeah I know, but at the time I was beyond desperate to get away from ME heh.

Kris
4th December 2004, 04:46 PM
I use Safari mainly, but my college intranet only works on opera so I have to use that when in college.

I like both, but they came as standard which is the only reason I use them. Ive found the IE is evil on macs, and has caused problems on the macs in college.

Ive had my own computer for the last 3 years so I've never had a problem. When I used to share one I didnt have a clue how to do anything, and didnt really care so it didnt matter!

I did pay for my laptop on my own though, so I guess its only fair that no one else is allowed to touch it:)

youdontknowme
4th December 2004, 07:22 PM
Using XP isn't necessary either. :rolleyes:

Heh, I can't wait to get my dad's old laptop. I'm gonna reformat it and install XP and Linux (Gentoo) on it. Heh, heh, I'm gonna see how well it works out.