PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon and movesets

nickelmarine
5th December 2004, 06:36 PM
Helllo! I need opinions on if these 2 pokemon are good for a team. Need movesets also!

Torkoal
Cacturne

aragornbird
6th December 2004, 07:35 PM
They're both pretty good. Torkoal would make a good tank.

Torkoal @Chesto Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Calm/Modest
Flamethrower
Amnesia
Rest
Yawn/Toxic

Cacturne @ Brightpowder
Nature: Calm/Modest
Giga Drain/Needle Arm
Sandstorm
Hidden Power Dark/Faint Attack
Leech Seed

Cacturnes can also be Sub-Punchers if you have FR/LG.

phaedrus
6th December 2004, 08:02 PM
cacturnes are a shifty bunch - real low defense makes them less viable for competitive battling. too low of defenses and too low of a speed to survive any setup outside of subsitute. it makes a decent subpuncher though. those sets are so common i don't think giving that kind of set is needed. the main focuses are subsitute and focus punch. from there you just fill in with some moves one can find.

torkoals are uu, but are useable. aragornbird's set works

torkoal@leftovers/chestoberry
curse
earthquake
rest
return/hp-physical
(jolly-[trait, some smoke thing iirc])

rinku
6th December 2004, 09:53 PM
Torkoal doesn't learn Earthquake. You're thinking of Camerupt.

Probably one that should always take a backup Fire attack, even when going physical. Eruption or Overheat work fiiiiine. Rest backs up Eruption nicely as well. Besides, it's one of the very few pokémon that *can* get Eruption. I'd choose Body Slam or Flail over HP anything or Return. Heat Wave is an option for 2v2.

Another approach is to let it rely on its inherent Defense while tanking the Special Defense:

Flamethrower
Amnesia
Rest
Flail/Body Slam

Go for a -Speed nature as it really needs both its offensive stats and it has one of the very worst speeds in the game (it is however faster than Shuckle). For the above set, Relaxed or Sassy work best, though Brave or Quiet would work OK. All effort into defenses IMHO.