PDA

View Full Version : Im Getting Tired of This.

Ultimate Charizard
5th December 2004, 07:29 PM
Im seriously losing Patience.

Ive said this in a couple of RPG's im looking at and now im putting it for u all to see.

I know i arent probably the best person to say this, ive had my own spells of inactivity while involved in stories but things are getting worse. Right now i havent been too active either, thats why im not in very many RPG's. Only 1 at this moment. I know i havent had time so i havent tried to join anything.
Im seeing too many people joining or Starting RPG's, going for about a week or two then Abandoning them and Starting something else and doing THE SAME DAMN THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

This is going to stop. Im not trying to become a dictator but as long as my Fellow mods agree were gonna start implementing an RPG limit. If an RPG isnt finished, you write yourself out so people dont count on your posts. Or if it Just stops without Good reason (usually down to the Creator) then we will have to limit the number of Signups your allowed in the Future. And also please try to be more aware of the RPG's your in. Im reading some where some people are blatantly not reading the others posts, doing their own thing and putting people off posting. I understand there are many reasons to inactivity, and that annoying posters can be just as harmfull as Lack of time so please try and put in some effort. The other option would of course be a 'Name and Shame' tactic. Meaning people know your reputation and think twice before allowing you to join, or even join your RPG's.

I dont want this to sound like a threat but things are going to change. The RPG Forum has been my online home for over 2 Years now and in all honesty its the only reason i come back on this site every single day. Im not letting it die off because a few people cant manage their time. If you arent going to post, dont join.
And i know not all RPG's and RPG'ers are like this. There are a couple doing well for themselves but the majority im afraid are not.

Oh and this time, I dont want to see people posting here to agree then 'reoffending' like you did with B4's, if you say your in favour of this, then keep your word. I take the fact that some people who did post to agree with her are still 'offenders' as an Insult against Kalah and people learn not to Insult My friends.

(P.S) Kalah's was the Nice request, This is the Polite Warning.(yes thats polite for me).....you dont want to Let JT have his turn.

The Muffin Man
5th December 2004, 09:46 PM
They should be damn glad I'm not in charge.

Better yet, if they don't listen when JT says it, we should give me the right to go for the fourth and final time. Not from a mod, but from TPMs resident RPG Hard-ass.

Megaman
26th December 2004, 09:19 PM
I am bumping this up and suggesting this gets a sticky

Sakura12
29th December 2004, 02:28 AM
Ok. Guilty as charged. I was absent for a spell this December, but I'm back, and I hope to be able to find enough time to RP more. Sorry to those RPs I've affected.

Arnen
29th December 2004, 03:18 PM
Ok, I was gone too, but it's not my fault if my paretns wanted to drag me off to Wisconsin away from the Internet for a week -__-; It's the holidays and I'm sure many others have had to go visist relatives and such to. Plus there were finals before taht. Everyone just be patient and make do with the inactivity for awhile and we can make it! ^_^

*is oddly optimistic today*

Mewtwo-D2
1st January 2005, 11:39 PM
Also, don't forget how many of us have become college students in the years since we've joined. We're all older and we all have a lot more responsibilities weighing down on us. It's the sad truth that most of us have to face- we simply don't have the time we used to. I know, personally, I'm balancing a job, college, scholarship searches, bridesmaid duties, practice for culinary arts school, trying to get in shape, and my outside social life and private life. Outside commitments have winnowed quite a swath from the veteran RPGers. We're too busy to really play the games we love, and unfortunately, that leads to stagnation in games. But there's also the fact that most people overestimate they're free time. I signed up for two games recently, counting on free time that rapidly dwindled as the holiday season closed in. Any other college students who work in retail probably had a good bit of their RPG time swallowed by exams and the holiday crunch.

I don't really think we need more regulation on those who get caught without the time they had counted on. Most of us really regret it. I really think the 'Name and Shame' would be disgraceful and not at all in the spirit of improving anyone's quality of posts. Isn't the whole point to try to get people active and enjoy themselves? This is an exercise in fun creativity, not a gulag. Pointing out people by name removes all the fun from the game. I'm sure we're all creative enough to write around a person who drops off the face of the planet. Being blacklisted because all of a sudden they dropped more hours on you at work is ludicrous. I mean, what's next? Blacklisting everyone who's a poor speller, or everyone one doesn't like? Not accepting perfectly good sign-ups just because they dropped a game a couple of times takes the fun out of role-playing. It's a GAME. It's supposed to be fun. If someone drops out without explanation, have an understanding that their character will be moved right out of the game, and they will be informed by PM as soon as that happens.

Yes, the RPG forum has gone downhill, but I don't think having a new longer list of rules is going to improve it. Instead, it's going to make good gamers frustrated and chase them away. There will be no opportunities for new gamers to make a name for themselves or to improve even the slightest. If it continues on this route, we'll be left with an empty forum. No one wants to play when they're constantly worried that a little inactivity will prevent them from joining any other games. That's my say in the matter. More activity would be nice, but expecting us to be back in our Golden Age isn't rational. And this certainly isn't the route to a second golden age.

The Muffin Man
2nd January 2005, 12:30 AM
Also, don't forget how many of us have become college students in the years since we've joined. We're all older and we all have a lot more responsibilities weighing down on us.
Exactly. And we should take that into consideration. The older we get the more we need to make time for what we enjoy. Just because some of us are trying to stuff themselves full of activities doesn't mean they they're off the hook. This is a responsibility too. Or is it OK to just ditch something halfway through because you're not in the mood to make time for it?

It's the sad truth that most of us have to face- we simply don't have the time we used to. I know, personally, I'm balancing a job, college, scholarship searches, bridesmaid duties, practice for culinary arts school, trying to get in shape, and my outside social life and private life. Outside commitments have winnowed quite a swath from the veteran RPGers.
1.UC and I have discussed it and are confused as to how you consider yourself a vet RPer.
2.Once again, if you really were a dedicated vet RPer, you'd make time. Ginger had alot more on her plate than most normal people and she still RPed quite well quite a bit.

We're too busy to really play the games we love, and unfortunately, that leads to stagnation in games.
Stop belittling them as games. These are just as important if you're gonna sign up. It's like if you told your friend that you'd be her Bridesmaid than decided "Oh I'm too busy the hell with her" and ditched her. Is that very nice? No. And your friend would be understandably pissed. This isn't just a "game". It's a commitment to bring together our creative minds to write out a story through a different characters eyes.

But there's also the fact that most people overestimate they're free time. I signed up for two games recently, counting on free time that rapidly dwindled as the holiday season closed in. Any other college students who work in retail probably had a good bit of their RPG time swallowed by exams and the holiday crunch.
And this is my point again: If you really gave a shit about an RPG you signed up for, you'd have stuck with it and made time.

I don't really think we need more regulation on those who get caught without the time they had counted on. Most of us really regret it. I really think the 'Name and Shame' would be disgraceful and not at all in the spirit of improving anyone's quality of posts.
So we just let people have their way and sign up for every RPG and not even participate in one? What about people who are active in other RPGs, but just decide to let the less-active ones just die because they don't like it anymore? If we don't do ANYTHING, we're gonna end up with alot of dead RPGs that no one thinks they have to commit to.

Isn't the whole point to try to get people active and enjoy themselves? This is an exercise in fun creativity, not a gulag. Pointing out people by name removes all the fun from the game. I'm sure we're all creative enough to write around a person who drops off the face of the planet.
Do you know what most good RPers do? They write in something so that some jealous RPer or someone who doesn't like them can't just write them out of the story. It used to happen alot. In fact, one of my biggest gripes with the first Pokebabies is that was exactly what happened. If you weren't in an AIM chat discussing the plot, your character was screwed. In another RPG I loved back in the day, I was left out of the loop because people were discussing in IMs and PMs what was going to happen, and there were 9 seperate groups running off with me sitting in the middle. Why? Because I was written out. So I started to write myself a way to stay with the story. Either a closer relationship with a GMs character, or immedietly forming a clique with one of the other groups that squared off.

Being blacklisted because all of a sudden they dropped more hours on you at work is ludicrous. I mean, what's next? Blacklisting everyone who's a poor speller, or everyone one doesn't like?
Actually, both are looked down on. Poor spellers are usually booted out, and you ARE allowed to kick someone out for "I don't like you". And before you ask, yes it was my rule from back in the day. The other mods agreed that an RPG shouldn't be a hostile environment.

Not accepting perfectly good sign-ups just because they dropped a game a couple of times takes the fun out of role-playing. It's a GAME. It's supposed to be fun. If someone drops out without explanation, have an understanding that their character will be moved right out of the game, and they will be informed by PM as soon as that happens.
Signing up is like a contract. You live in the US, and should know that here, anyway, that's legally binding. Sure, we can't sue them for leaving the RPG, but we CAN get mad and not let them in any other RPGs if there is a pattern/habit.

Yes, the RPG forum has gone downhill, but I don't think having a new longer list of rules is going to improve it. Instead, it's going to make good gamers frustrated and chase them away.
Good RPers know that solid rules are neccasary to keep the RP fun. If you're allowed to kill my character because I annoyed you, I wouldn't find the RP fun. You wouldn't if I could do the same. So obviously, unless it's noted in an RPG it's against the rules to do so(i.e unless you warn "Your characters will undergo changes by the GMs during the storyline").

There will be no opportunities for new gamers to make a name for themselves or to improve even the slightest. If it continues on this route, we'll be left with an empty forum. No one wants to play when they're constantly worried that a little inactivity will prevent them from joining any other games. That's my say in the matter. More activity would be nice, but expecting us to be back in our Golden Age isn't rational. And this certainly isn't the route to a second golden age.

"Our" golden age? Look, you're blowing the proposition out of proportion. This isn't "YOU WERE GONE FOR A DAY YOU CAN'T JOIN RPGS EVER AGAIN!!". It's to keep people who are consistantly gone or inactive or ignoring RPGs with no good reason(or with a good reason and ALOT of inactivity) from joining an RPG and taking up all the slots so serious RPers cannot join as what they want, and end up dragging it down.

BTW, before you blast me:

Ultimate Charizard(name changed for privacy) says:
go on then, u have rpg mod permission to have a go at her

Make sure to tell them the mods are allowing me to post this. And I'm not abusing it by outright attacking you. But he's not too happy with you calling yourself a vet either.

Damian Silverblade
2nd January 2005, 01:54 AM
You are not wanted here, leave.

Bulbasaur4
2nd January 2005, 02:20 AM
Since when is it "Belittling" to call Role Playing Games "GAMES"? That's what they are. It is the very basis of their essence. They don't have ANY other purpose but to be games, a source of entertainment.

True, they are just games. However, if you're playing in a game of basketball... your partners in the game are counting on you to do your best. If you don't do your best or slack off, then you'll lose their respect and get kicked off.

Of course, I'm not disagreeing with what you said. RPG shouldn't be a top priority in life by far... but I think the point is to try your best to give effort to posting when needed and posting with quality. Obviously if things are going on in life, that's fine. But warn the RPG first so they aren't off wondering when and if you'll be back. That's all I'm asking of anyone... is to try their best and just to let us know if they'll be busy for a while.

But hey... that's just me.

The Muffin Man
2nd January 2005, 03:42 AM
I love how everyone is apparently illiterate or just chose not to read.

I said it's important to make time for relaxing/fun activities in your life. You can't just load down with work to get the most done, you need to get some fun in there too in order to keep sane. Did I not say that like, 90 times in my post? Jeez people.

Damian Silverblade
2nd January 2005, 04:48 AM

Mewtwo-D2
2nd January 2005, 02:25 PM
I consider myself a vet RPGer since I've been here for quite some time. I founded the original Time-Space Continuum, the Gundam Wars Trilogy, and quite a few other successful games over my course here. I've won the Best RPG award at least twice, the Most Original Character award, and quite a few more. I've been on the RPG boards for about four years, and I remember what it was like before you ever became a mod, Mike. My first character was from the original Pokemon Flight Force, founded way back when Kuro_Espeon was Dark_Espeon, and that was the first time I won a Most Original Character award. I was here before Bear, and there's no questioning his veteran status. I was here way before Asilynne ever got the idea of hanging around, and I joined mere weeks after K_E. Just because my love is for games with devoted cult following instead of wide-spread, popular games doesn't mean I haven't been here and I haven't been gaming. The RPG forum was my home until you made it intolerable between your whining about the RPGs not being the quality you wanted and your complete disregard for new players. You're not a hard-ass, Mike, you're a jackass. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would quit this forum entirely if you were ever given another crack at modship. I was chosen for my mod position based on my own qualities, not for kissing up and stomping on new people. My point is non-mod approved beyond my own, because I finally feel secure enough to tell you just what I think of you. I think you're an overbearing jerk with grandiose delusions as to your own importance. As we've found out every time you've been placed in a position of power, your head swells to enormous sides and you become a complete dictator. Lighten up or get a life.

RPG's are a game. This is not a life-or-death contract. It's supposed to be a fun way to spend leisure time. Over-restrictive rules are going to make this place a hellhole, and RPGing a chore instead of a pasttime. Who wants their hobby to become a straightjacket of responsiblities? I'm sure everyone else juggling myriad duties wants to come to the RPG forums to relax and have some fun, not be harangued on just why they haven't been posting recently. It's sad that people can get their sign-ups refused because of some little squabble between the founder and the player. If the rules are tightened, you'll see people dismissed for the tiniest infractions and you're going to see the remaining good gamers run far away. I say let their be an understanding that if a player falls absent, they will be written out of the story, or at least be shuffled aside if it's a temporary absence. PM's, e-mails, and IM's are the best place to communicate outside of the game itself. I reccomend sending an e-mail as a warning before you write a person out- most people have the time to check their e-mails if not the time to think out a long creative post. I'm sure everyone can take a measly five minutes to ask where the person is and if they're planning on coming back. Give them a deadline to reply and stick to it. No extra time for someone you like or shortened time for someone you don't like.

By the way, Mike, am I supposed to drop being a bridesmaid for my own sister, not study for exams, quit my job, cut out time with my boyfriend and my other friends, stop reading in my private time, and sacrifice my chances at a successful future simply because it might keep me from posting in an RPG? Some of us have more important commitments than listening to you bitch about how our hobby is supposed to be the forefront of our lives.

The Muffin Man
2nd January 2005, 04:34 PM
EDIT - No. The hell with it. It's not gonna help anything to yell at each other so screw it. M2D2, I'm PMing you what I DID post so you can be assured I'm not just "scared". Don't respond to the PM because I'm not going to read it anyway.

Ultimate Charizard
2nd January 2005, 08:07 PM
Ok can we cool down the flame war please or do i need to call for A ref?

The Muffin Man
2nd January 2005, 08:14 PM
Ok can we cool down the flame war please or do i need to call for A ref?

Dude. You are the 'ref'.

Bulbasaur4
2nd January 2005, 09:06 PM
Pssht. *whips out ref shirt*
Gav called me... ^_^ lol

But firstly, this is just a topic of some venting frustrations with our RPG forum and perhaps a topic on how to solve it. Vet status, grudges, petty little arguements should not be a factor nor discussed here.

So.. umm... *blows whistle*

Mewtwo-D2
3rd January 2005, 01:31 PM
Going back to my original point, I just am not at all comfortable with making business a social stigma around here. Put up a deadline of posting days in your sign-up topic- say how long the grace period is, and if they miss the grace period, send them an e-mail asking them why. If they don't respond to that, write them out of the story. Don't make this a huge all-member inclusive thing. It should be between the founder and the player- it's no one else's business.

RaZoR LeAf
3rd January 2005, 03:44 PM
I think I know what's missing. Like DS said, this is a pokemon rpg board, ad there's a lack of pokemon rpgs. The problem is, that coing up with a truly original pokeon idea is more dificult now than it was in the past. Trainer RPGs, 'random' evil Teams and 'i control said element' are massivly common now. What's needed is a big involving new idea to give people a nudge into the interest again.

Outlaw JT
3rd January 2005, 06:09 PM
Egads!!!!

Mike, you were right to respond with your concerns in regards to M2D2's post but you could have been a little more calm about it. I would consider M2D2 a veteran RPer, btw. I disagree and agree with both of you to an extent. As Kalah said, when you sign up for an rpg it's like joining a sports team. Everyone else involved is then counting on you to participate. However, it is understandable that sometimes RL can get in the way of such things. I don't necessarily think this means they should be blacklisted from joining any RPGs, HOWEVER, they have the responsibility to let people know what is going on and why they are unable to continue or post regularly. I believe that is the issue closer at hand here. It's one thing to back out of an RPG or lessen your involvement in it because of RL constraints (so long as you inform the effected RPGs) and it is another thing entirely to just vanish from it altogether without any explanation. Only the loss of internet access is an acceptable reason to not at least provide warning that your posting will be infrequent or non-existant.

As for this whole nonsense about people not staying involved because of a lack of pokemon RPGs.........I say that is a complete and utter load of bunk!! True, pokemon is the reason why all of us found the board to begin with but how many of us are still here because of pokemon? I'd be willing to bet that there are some of us that couldn't care less about pokemon anymore. Most of us are still here because of the community we found here, not because of the title subject of the forum. RPGs not being pokemon related has absolutely nothing to do with people not posting. As for originality being the reason? Yes and no. No because at this point in time there pretty much is no true originality. Everything has some elements of something that has been done before in one form or another. Yes in that most of the RPGs that actually did make it had something about them that was different from all the other RPGs at the time. Cases in point: the introduction of the school format in Pokemon School (since duplicated to infinity), the crafted competitiveness of Rising Sun (in my opinion probably the best rpg ever to grace the forum), the living world feel of Zoids (where everyone's character truly just went about their own lives). It's harder now than ever to find something that hasn't been done before in one form or another.

Here's my solution: As soon as you realize you can't be as active as you thought you would be, post in the effected RPGs to let people know! Stop signing up for new RPGs if you don't have the time for the ones you are in now. GM's, start monitoring your own RPGs for activity. Maybe start introducing character based incentives for those RPers who are more active.

Damian Silverblade
3rd January 2005, 06:22 PM

The Muffin Man
3rd January 2005, 11:40 PM
Ya know I think that's the first time JT has reprimanded me without yelling :P

Kidding...kidding...

Anyway, I think more Pokemon RPGs WOULD be helpful, but being a Pokemon is so overdone, and everyone has this bad taste of trainer fics and school RPGs in the back of the mouth...

Damian Silverblade
4th January 2005, 07:39 AM

Ciaobat
4th January 2005, 01:48 PM
I think I'll put my two cents in, whether or not it's useful or appreciated. While I haven't been here for quite a while, I also have had the experience of being here during what I guess was the middle-to-tail-end of the golden age you've been referring to. My stance on it is thus: While everyone should be expected to inform the games they're in (or at least the GMs involved) of their inactivity, people shouldn't be punished for it. A million things could happen to cause inactivity and plainly people should get the benefit of the doubt whether they deserve it or not.

I'd like to think I tenaciously hang on to RPGs that I join, and that I don't abandon any, but I may very well be overlooking something I don't remember. In my experience though, no small number of RPGs have died because the GM evaporated just when the game needed a push. The GM may have come back with a perfectly good reason for having been gone without notice, but the RP is still left dead. I don't really think anyone should be punished for that. It's not my call, but I don't think any rules should be made to enforce the longevity of games. While it is an issue, I think that as the quality of games (hopefully) goes up, it will right itself. Technically GMs now have the right to refuse anyone from joining their game, don't they? If that GM feels strongly about certain players that are known to ditch not joining, they can keep them out themselves.

*leaves her two cents on the table*

Arnen
4th January 2005, 06:57 PM
In regards to GMs preferring to play as tehir own cahracters, I have come up with a solution and will apply it to my Destiny RPG, which WILL be starting as soon as I can get up my first post -- animepsycho has given me permission to start without him, I just need to type up an intro post and figure out a way for him to come in late. Anyway, I have decided to post in third-person as an omniscient GM aside from playing my characters. I think this will not only allow me to get in on the fun, but it will also allow me to control the plot more. I think this is a good idea, if I do say so myself.