PDA

View Full Version : Manga on the Rise

Razola
4th January 2005, 12:08 PM
There was an article in the New York Times about the rise in American-published manga, particularly manga targeted towards a growing female audience. Regrettably, the NYT requires payment to see their articles online, so you'll either have to do a search or take my word for it.

Not limited to just publishers like Tokyopop, even the big boys like Marvel and DC Comics are bringing manga over to the States. More intriguing is the increased focus on the female demographic. While a male audience is seen as a fixture by American companies, apparently the increased female viewership of anime isn't a fluke. My guess is they hope to keep the current readers while luring more in.

Either way, it's good news for the industry.

fat man with a monkey
4th January 2005, 12:28 PM
Or bad news for the industry, if we have people pissing about "Manga's all for little kids, have you seen some of those," which might be enough to turn away possible first-time readers.
btw- the article's within the last week, and it says you can access articles within the last week free of charge, but it keeps wanting to make me pay $2.something, those dirty ****badgers

Roarkiller
5th January 2005, 06:16 AM
So... can u or can u not access that article?

Manga's childish if u read the childish manga, obviously. These ppl prolly think manga is a book version of pkmn or smthng like that. Seriously tho, i don't see much of a difference between manga and DC comics.

Razola
5th January 2005, 10:43 AM
I cannot access it. Like Fat Man said, though The New York Times claims you can read all of their articles up to two weeks old for free, it still gives you a prompt to pay when you try and get the article (which was published yesterday or Monday).

WIth DC and Marvel publishing, I'm pretty sure will get a fair share of manga for the older demographic.

fat man with a monkey
5th January 2005, 10:48 AM
(which was published yesterday or Monday) on their page, they said the 28th.
"WIth DC and Marvel publishing, I'm pretty sure will get a fair share of manga for the older demographic."
I, for one, am not so sure. See, Marvel and DC already have a pretty good hold on the older audience, and while they will still target them (they have money), I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to target the younger audiences, to attempt to pull them in to readership.
On a side-note, has anyone read the marvel mangaverse? Although it doesn't fit into marvel continuity, and some character designs suck, it's very good.

Last Exile
6th January 2005, 01:50 AM
Nearly every comic in the current top 20 selling in the US is manga. That says something. Manga outsells Marvel and DC at 2-3 to 1