PDA

View Full Version : Alone in the dark? Probably.

fat man with a monkey
4th January 2005, 03:39 PM
Another video game movie. We're not surprised. We won't be if it sucks. Frankly, if I saw a sign that said "Alone in the dark" in a theatre, I'd assume they were having electric problems. At least, that's what I'd hope.
Let's take a look at the track record of video game movies, shall we?
Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2: I got better reviews and slightly higher box office revenue than these movies. Coincidentally, my froot loops had slightly more exciting zombie action.
Final Fantasy: spirits within: not a bad movie, just not a good final fantasy movie.
Super Mario Bros: It's not that bad of a movie, it's just a horrible movie. Very lackluster special effects, kinda boring story, but it gets the job done in a somewhat entertaining way.
Street Fighter: It's not street fighter unless I see that little blue fly across the screen. Really, it's just people with the same name as the characters minus the superpowers. Cammy and Chun Li, though.
Mortal Kombat I, II: 1 was better. Dialogue coulda been better, but I was pretty happy with most of the action scenes. Major complaint: Cage wasn't as cool as in the games. In the games, he's like (jesus + slash)/winston churchill, in the movie, he's lukewarm.
Chrono Trigger: I've got pretty much one thing to say about this OAV: "I am gonzales! Beat me up and get silver points!" XD
Halo: Yeah, it's not actually being made (that anyone can prove), but rumors are surfacing everywhere. I'd like to see it made, except not. While the prospect of a halo movie rocks my socks and makes me want to cream my jeans, I could just as easily see it ending up as another resident evil or Super Mario Bros.
"Doom:" not out yet. Coincidentally, not on mars, and no demons. Halfway tempted to not call it Doom.
EDIT:
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: I'm waiting for this one. It looks very promising from the few pictures I've seen.
Discuss, add on movies I've left off, or just give your opinion of video game movies. I just want a topic about video game movies: rumors, discussions, etc.

The Muffin Man
4th January 2005, 03:44 PM
psot

EDIT:

In all honesty, as long as Uwe Boll doesn't do the game or Square doesn't try and hammer it in to resemble FF8 more than FF6, game movies can be good. Unfortunetly, no one seems to try.

And the Super Mario movie wasn't that bad.

Heald
4th January 2005, 05:34 PM
The terrible Tomb Raider movies. Saving grace in the first one was Chris Barrie as the shotgun-toting butler.

There is a Grand Theft Auto movie. I saw it in my local DVD rental. My mate said that it was awful and had nothing to do with the games. Go figure.

Personally, I'd like to see a Hitman movie. Starring Jason Statham. Sure, purists would complain that 47 isn't a cockney but I say screw it, Jason Statham is the coolest man alive. And boy can he act. I wouldn't care if the film was shit, or if in fact any film he starred in was shit (but luckily, no film he has starred in has been shit), I'd still see it. He kicks ass. Statham for Prime Minister.

phaedrus
4th January 2005, 10:14 PM
the mario movie kicked ass

here's high hopes to a metroid movie :D

The Muffin Man
4th January 2005, 10:24 PM
Oh, I can't believe we forgot a movie!

Xenosaga.

Lezta
5th January 2005, 03:36 AM
... House of the Dead. *giggles*

Uwe Boll makes me giggle. In all the wrong ways.

The Muffin Man
5th January 2005, 01:01 PM
Uwe Boll needs to get the Mario treatment.

By that I mean someone grabs him by his tail(The guys gotta have one, all demonic beings have tails), swing him around, and hurl him into a bomb that floats mysteriously over a pit of hot lava.

Then when he drops his key we can unlock all the scripts he intended to screw up, and give them to competant directors.

Jeff
5th January 2005, 01:33 PM
I heard a while ago that they were working on a Metroid movie...

Now a Zelda movie could be cool if they do it right. The thing about Hollywood however, is that they don't play video games and therefore tend to screw up movies based on them.