PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4, why haven't you bought it yet?

Misty
7th January 2005, 12:34 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/577/577841p1.html

Breakdown

Score - 9.8

Graphics are quite possibly the best on any console - not just for technical power, but artistic direction.

The game support some kind of odd widescreen concept - but without true widescreen support it lost some points.

Controls are still on the ancient side but far surpass the older RE's.

Game is quite long - 20+ hours, which is very good for a survival horror game.

Script and voice acting is top-notch.

Razola
7th January 2005, 02:43 PM
I don't trust IGN in the least bit. Weren't they the same people who raved over Halo 2's single player?

While my expectations are high, I'm waiting on a more reliable source. That would be me, playing the damned game myself.

Misty
7th January 2005, 04:52 PM
That's IGN XBox. Keep in mind that IGN is not a single unit - it is composed of multiple teams, some of which are more reliable than others. For instance, I trust Craig Harris over anyone when it comes to GBA reviews, but I wouldn't trust IGN XBox any further than I could throw an XBox.

Misty
7th January 2005, 04:54 PM
And furthermore, even if you don't generally trust their scores - you can still read the review, it is nothing but factual information combined with the opinion of the writer.

Crazy
8th January 2005, 08:50 AM
That's cool,but I've heard it is no longer a Gamecube exclusive which sucks. Gamecube needs more exclusives. Not only has it lost Viewtiful Joe 2(which is also on the PS2)now it has lost Resident Evil 4(which is supposed to be on the PS2 as well). At least it will be and exclusive for a while.

Razola
8th January 2005, 01:18 PM
I trust IGNCUbe even less, for reasons I have stated numerous times.

And do you really want to play RE4 on a PS2? Besides the fact you'll have to wait another couple of months, think of how a game that was designed from the ground up for the cube is going to look when suddenly ported to the inferior PS2.

PNT510
8th January 2005, 02:25 PM
Not that GMR reviews are any better, but they gave Resident Evil 4 10/10. I haven't read the review yet though.

Razola
8th January 2005, 08:19 PM
The best bet is to look up the average in Gamerankings. Relying on one source is stupid.

I was going to pick up Minish Cap, but I think this'll be the better purchase.

Misty
8th January 2005, 08:25 PM
Gamerankings is terrible. It averages out a bunch of different reviewers who use radically different scales. It also has no bias supression - which means scores get dragged down by pathetic morons who want to look "hardcore" or "cool".

The best way to know when a game is good is to actually read the reviews from places like IGN and GameSpot, ignoring the scores, and make the purchasing decision yourself.

Razola
9th January 2005, 11:00 AM
Gamerankings doesn't add in every random site to its ranking. If you look at the ranking for a game like, say, Half-Life, you'll see some scores are bolded and some aren't. Bolded scores are the ones included for the average, and the nonbolded ones are there for you to read if you need more. Gamerankings has a complete system they use to pick which sites are for the "official" ratings and which aren't.

And the best way to know if a game is good is to rent it.

The Muffin Man
9th January 2005, 05:01 PM
I don't trust IGN in the least bit. Weren't they the same people who raved over Halo 2's single player?

While my expectations are high, I'm waiting on a more reliable source. That would be me, playing the damned game myself.

I've seen 9s and 10s all over. In fact I think GI was one of the ones giving it a 10. Hell, these guys take points off because it's a Nintendo game most of the time.

Also, didn't the guy behind the Biohazard/RE Series pretty much say "RE4 will NOT be seen outside the Gamecube"? I could have sworn he was supposedly quoted as saying he'd sooner decapitate himself than let it be ported. This was heard around PA, so I'm pretty sure the Bullshit alarms would have sprung up and killed the guy if it was fake.

Musourenka
9th January 2005, 08:30 PM
Also, didn't the guy behind the Biohazard/RE Series pretty much say "RE4 will NOT be seen outside the Gamecube"? I could have sworn he was supposedly quoted as saying he'd sooner decapitate himself than let it be ported. This was heard around PA, so I'm pretty sure the Bullshit alarms would have sprung up and killed the guy if it was fake.

You're right, it was supposed to be an exclusive, but Capcom is apparantly going to port it to PS2 by the end of the year. This did piss off the guy you quoted, and I've read rumors (from Official PSX magazine, if I remember correctly) that he may distance himself from future RE projects (i don't remember it clearly, though; I'd have to read it again).

Misty
9th January 2005, 09:01 PM
Shinji Mikami(the one who made that quote) has already left Capcom's main studio for Clover Studios(the ones behind Viewtiful Joe).

In any case, GameRankings - the problem is that they're not always capable of blocking out a bad review. This is especially true when a site or magazine has many reviewers, mostly good and some bad. For instance, Game Informer gave Paper Mario 2 a 6.75 or something like that. Their reason? The game had cartoony graphics and "might not appeal to their audience". Of course, GameRankings just included it like the drones they are.

Bottom line - one professionally written review is worth far more than any number of scores.

Razola
9th January 2005, 11:50 PM
The wonderful thing about Gamerankings is that you can look at each individual review. Game Informer gave a bad review? Oh noes! But wait, the other reviews are positive. THAT MIGHT MEAN SOMETHING.

Would you rely on just Fox News or CNN for your daily does of current events? And as you can see, one man's "professionally written review" is another man's pile of monkey shit. Read IGN's Double Dash review? As much BS as GI.

Bottom Line: Reading multiple sources for information is better than relying one.

Misty
10th January 2005, 07:47 AM
Oh okay, I thought you were actually using GameRankings to make a point.

In any case - 9.6@GameSpot.

Drago
10th January 2005, 10:28 PM
Well to be honest, I won't base my purchase upon IGN or GameSpot or anyone else, really.
We all know the game is aces, we weren't expecting any less, now the only difference will be whether it appeals to us personally.
All that reviews ever do is whet my appetite with any observations. Score I couldn't give two hoots about, unless of course a game is just genuinely bad.

And if I can't decide otherwise, I'll wait on the Raz review. That'll set the score straight. lol Pressuuuuuuuure.

Razola
12th January 2005, 12:08 PM
Raz review: Buy this sumbitch now.

They took some FPS and added it to Survival Horror. It's just plain awesome. I will admit there is one part that's a bit too Metal Gear for me.

But seriously, take the awesome RE1 remake and imrpove up it a hundred-fold. It's goodness.

Musourenka
12th January 2005, 09:04 PM
Overall, it feels slightly more like Dino Crisis than Resident Evil -- having only healing items and weapons take up item slots (infinite slots for key items), being able to continue at the beginning of a room, weapons upgrades, a bit more focus on combat rather than adventure/puzzle/exploration. Not a bad thing, but it might bug some diehard RE fans.

Oh yes, you die... a lot. Most enemies can kill you in three hits, and there are a number of enemies that can One-Hit Kill you.

Razola
13th January 2005, 09:33 PM
Holy shit.

Holy SHIT.

I just passed the first boss. This game is like sex on a disc.

EDIT: Don't read any spoilers, you hear me? Don't do it, damnit, because the story is actually good this time and you want to see all the nasty little surprises the game has for you.

The Muffin Man
13th January 2005, 11:47 PM
I was supposed to get it today(Well, yesterday now) for my Birthday. Friend was supposed to buy it for me.

He bought it for himself. And Futurama season 3. Yep. For himself...Sorry, I'm just baffled how I can be standing right there and still he forgets one of those 2 was probably on his "Buy today" list for a reason.

Sorry, ranting...Anyway I'll pick it up as soon as possible. I'll be avoiding my friend because: A.He'll be on WoW and his brother will be on RE4 anyway so I'm not gonna go over there just to play my DS in a new location, B.I'm a bit irked as you might haved figured out, and C.I don't want this spoiled for me.

And I'm taking bets on how much higher the scores for the PS2 version are. Especially from GI. $5 says they make the scale 1-15 for that game only just so it can get a higher score.

Misty
14th January 2005, 12:23 AM
Okay, who changed my topic title >:(

Razola
14th January 2005, 10:55 AM
That would be me.

Crazy
14th January 2005, 08:31 PM
I WANT THIS GAME. I have read lots of reviews,and looked at the screenshots. I will buy it whenever I get the cash.

Windra
17th January 2005, 12:29 AM
I want the game too!!!!! T_T
I have to wait until it comes out on Playstation 2, however. Until then, in April I'm getting Outbreak File #2 and go play online and become zombified... Despite the lagging, I love getting zombified.

internal dragon
19th January 2005, 03:19 PM
@Topic title: Because... I'm poor? o___0

Bleh, I know the main reason that Capcom has decided to port RE4.

The all mighty dollar.

By porting RE4 to the PS2, they figure they can make twice as much money as they would had it been a GC exclusive by making it accessable to more people.

Its not a bad idea actually, they have to get money for RE5 somewhere right? Besides, if DMC3 flops (Which I doubt) they'll have something to give to the PS2 fans to make up for it.

HavoX
19th January 2005, 03:58 PM
@Topic title...

(1) on March 8th 2004, DooM easily defeats RE2 in Round 2 of GameSpy's Title Fight (http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/0201.shtml)

(2) I'm not really a big RE fan anyway :banana:

phaedrus
19th January 2005, 04:09 PM
@Topic title...

(1) on March 8th 2004, DooM easily defeats RE2 in Round 2 of GameSpy's Title Fight (http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/0201.shtml)

1. Resident Evil 2 is not Resident Evil 4 if i remember correctly.
2. DooM was rated "better" than Resident Evil. Gamespy Title Fight? like that has a lot of standing.
3. then don't bother if you aren't a fan of RE

edit: point being don't prejudice RE4 because of RE2. DooM is outclassed by many games though, you know.

PNT510
19th January 2005, 04:57 PM
Hey phaedrus, I don't know if you noticed, but it doesn't look like he is gonna bother, so no need to tell him to do what he is already gonna do.

The Muffin Man
19th January 2005, 09:53 PM
@Topic title...

Case in point. (http://archive.gamespy.com/titlefight/matches/0125.shtml)

Therefore your "DOOM DOOM LOL" link is really a moot point, eh?

Screw it...

Razola
20th January 2005, 01:36 AM
@Topic title...

1. It isn't RE2.

2. You're an idiot for #1 alone.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th January 2005, 04:41 AM
I found the Resident Evil series lots of fun to play at first, when the entire genre was young - starting with those more or less creepy PC games like The 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria. RE being an action based installment unlike the others which were pure Adventures was pretty cool.

But nowadays it's old, it's boring, it's not creepy anymore. You can only see so many heads being torn apart, monsters waiting behind the door/in the vent shaft, monsters breaking through walls, wheelchairs moving around on their own etc. till you just go "been there, done that".

This game has nothing to offer for me, that's why I won't get it.

Windra
20th January 2005, 05:59 AM
@Topic title...

Doom reminds me of a first-person Silent Hillish game, because its freaky and depending on where you are, with the only one point of view you can only see so much...

But first-person with Resident Evil sucked royally. And besides, it has a better storyline. If it was unsuccesful, why would there be so many game, books, comics, and (sadly) movies based off of it?

Gah... I'll have to wait longer to get RE4, but I'll get Outbreak 2 soon. They have to stop making games based in Raccoon City, though. There can't have been that many survivors, or the secret of Umbrella would have been out in the open.

But is Umbrella in RE4? I know Ada Wong is...And I wish Wesker were in it. >.<

The Muffin Man
20th January 2005, 01:59 PM
I found the Resident Evil series lots of fun to play at first, when the entire genre was young - starting with those more or less creepy PC games like The 7th Guest and Phantasmagoria. RE being an action based installment unlike the others which were pure Adventures was pretty cool.

But nowadays it's old, it's boring, it's not creepy anymore. You can only see so many heads being torn apart, monsters waiting behind the door/in the vent shaft, monsters breaking through walls, wheelchairs moving around on their own etc. till you just got "been there, done that".

This game has nothing to offer for me, that's why I won't get it.

RE4 pretty much makes it less survival horror and more action/survival horror. Less stupid puzzles, and much less 'LOL SCARY' stupid-ass moments.

Tainted
22nd January 2005, 09:24 PM
Just rented this jewel, played it for a couple hours and recently killed that El Gigante thing. Fucking awesome, the boss fights have been pretty intense and the storyline is a definate plus. I love how there are less stupid puzzles and more zombie-stomping action. I seem to be short for ammo on my shotgun, though, as I've been at 0 for a long time and havent' come across any shotgun ammunition.

The Jamie Sue (sniper rifle) is awesome, love using it. Right now I've got the Red9 w/ stock(I ditched the Punisher to use this, as I was low on ammo and needed a handgun with a fair amount of power), Shotgun (no ammo), TMP w/ stock (low ammo), Rifle w/ scope and a bunch of grenades.

Great game, if I don't beat it in the rental, I'll buy it.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

The Muffin Man
23rd January 2005, 03:15 PM
Alright, I'm at the cabin and I have a question.

Should I reload my last save point and by the Red 9? I already traded in my handgun for the Punisher, but should I really try to squeeze ANOTHER gun into the equation for the Red 9? Is it even worth it? Or should I just drop my guns on the ground, grab the rocket launcher, punisher, and shotgun, and clear everything out?

Musourenka
23rd January 2005, 05:53 PM
Alright, I'm at the cabin and I have a question.

Should I reload my last save point and by the Red 9? I already traded in my handgun for the Punisher, but should I really try to squeeze ANOTHER gun into the equation for the Red 9? Is it even worth it? Or should I just drop my guns on the ground, grab the rocket launcher, punisher, and shotgun, and clear everything out?

The Punisher and Red9 both use Handgun ammo; don't carry both of them. Personally, I was unimpressed with the Punisher, and quickly replaced it with a Red9. The Punisher has less power, and its piercing effect really didn't help me much. If I want to kill a mob, I will use the Shotgun at close range. If there are a line of enemies headed towards me, I'll switch to the Rifle quickly and take out a few of them (the shots are piercing), then switch to shotgun.

I, personally, would go with the best pistol, shotgun, and rifle you can get. Later, on the second disc, I'd pick up the magnum (Killer7, specifically).

Tainted
23rd January 2005, 08:51 PM
The cabin was tough for me because I only had 50 TMP ammo and no shotgun ammo except for what was found in the cabin itself. So I was stuck with the Red9. Took me three tries. If you're still stuck-- head for the stairs and stay at the base of them, just firing when something comes close to raping you. When Luis signals to go upstairs, run.

Just got finished playing for today, I'm up to Chapter 4, the part where you're running away from that dude that's chasing you through the roof and where you need to start up the elevator.

Right now, equipment wise, I've got the Striker, Semi-Automatic Rifle, Blacktail and Broken Butterfly. I ditched the TMP for the Butterfly, and I felt it was a good decision. The Butterfly dishes out some major damage, but I don't use it often, only when I get in a jam.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter