PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

kainashi
11th January 2005, 06:54 PM
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed.

Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month. New versions will be made available through this Web page, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center.

source: here (http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx)

--

has where you can directly download it and whatnot on that page. not a full blown antivirus just yet but it does the job on removing the big ones (sasser, blaster, etc.). won't see a full blown antivirus from them for a few/several months. if you already have a decent antivirus, this isn't really needed but if you think you have one that your antivirus missed or something, this is a great, small download that could help. just figured i'd post this, i guess.

Jeff
11th January 2005, 07:04 PM
One of the computers at my house just got this through Windows Updates. Makes sense since it is the second Tuesday of the month.

Seems pretty nice, it's about time Microsoft gives us something to defend against all those windows viruses.

HavoX
11th January 2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks John... I did a Windows Update the moment I saw this thread.

I ran the Removal Tool, and it turns out I'm completely clean of malicious software! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/up.gif

kainashi
12th January 2005, 08:53 AM
good. at least someone cares around here. :(

Dark Scizor
12th January 2005, 12:34 PM
Downloaded it this morning when my Windows update popped up :).

RedStarWarrior
14th January 2005, 07:16 PM
I downloaded it the other day when you first posted this....if you care. ;) It is alright, but I will stick to Symantec, since the Microsoft version is just for the easily recognizeable viruses.