PDA

View Full Version : Star Fox Assault

Drago
15th January 2005, 04:47 PM
Well, after some thorough searching through the VG forum, I've found next to nothing about the upcoming Star Fox game, Star Fox Assault. If there is something, then my thorough searching sucks. :grumble:
So, anyone looking forward to this game? It comes out in North America in just less than a month, and I'm counting down the days (of course, Australians will likely have to wait for months longer...)

Features include; Improved multiplayer, new characters, enter/exit vehicles, supposedly complex storyline, return of Star Wolf, first 'proper' Star Fox game in seven years (emphasis on Arwing combat, that is), some on-foot sections, etc.

Arwing Landing has some of the newest images from French site, jeuxfrance.com, if you haven't seen anything yet. In my opinion, these renders show that Namco is obsessive about 'peculiar' posing. Leon's pelvic thrust is scary.
Screens (http://arwinglanding.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=14&page=2) and Renders (http://arwinglanding.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=17)

Any anticipation? Like what you see? Absolutely hate it? Give us a holler here.

PNT510
15th January 2005, 09:38 PM
Personally I don't care about it in the least. I just got Star Fox on SNES a few months ago and it's pretty good, but from what I played of Star Fox 64 it was basicly the same. And from what I have read in magizines it's basicly the same as the other 2 games with some on foot stuff tossed in there.

Razola
15th January 2005, 11:18 PM
Looked a lot like Starfox 64. Mind you, that was a fanastic game: I played that bastard over and over. And while I wouldn't mind a remake, the new one seems a bit too familar to me.

And didn't we learn anything from Rogue Squadron 3? On foot missions suck.

Razola
4th February 2005, 06:45 PM
This is the proper thread.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

phaedrus
4th February 2005, 11:05 PM
why is that prehistoric girl in this one? i don't recall that she left that dinosaur planet, unless my brain has wandered.

edit: falco looks like shit. :cry:

edit2: where's that cool rabbit dude, Peppy or whatever? this game is looking more and more disappointing by the millisecond.

edit3: as i go through these renderings provided by DragoKnight i have to come believe that the prehistoric girl is like a prostitute or something. and so is falco. :cry:

falco rocked ass in the 64 version.

Drago
5th February 2005, 09:45 PM
Well, as this game doesn't come out in Australia for a while (as opposed to the North American release date of the 14th), I might as well just stick in some compiled information based upon what I've come across...

Krystal has her own ship, which she used to board the Great Fox at the end of SFA. She thanked Fox, and apparently, she had nowhere else to go since then, or something. Hence, she's a member now.

Falco indeed looks quite queer, it's like he was going through Freddie Mercury's closet. What they've done to Leon is worse, however.

Peppy's retired, and just loafs around the Great Fox all day. He does still communicate with you during missions as normal, however.

As for the game itself, its gotten mixed reviews. IGN gave it a 7, other sites have given it 8s and 9s (never heard of this site (http://www.etoychest.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=330&Itemid=42) before, but its review seems to be oriented towards Star Fox fans) I believe EGM had it just over a 6.

I've come to a couple conclusions, strictly from what I've read. Essentially, the game seems to be very limited in its appeal. They've ditched the multiple routes of old, and now we're left with a piddling 10 missions (and three difficulty levels, which I believe only alter the challenge, not the actual missions themselves).
A great deal of these are on-foot; generic 'shoot this many ____' or 'kill this ____'. I'd wager those would grow thin very fast. Fox's control on-foot is not crash-hot, he has no fluidness in his movement and just goes from one direction to the other. A plus side to these on-foot missions is that the Landmaster will be accessible, and it is now manually operated (ie, it isn't constantly accelerating).

The other aspect (of course, the Arwing sections) are supposedly good as ever, if not better. The Arwing controls beautifully (though I'm not fond of barrel rolls both being mapped to the L button), and as evidenced in some videos, the chatter has gone up tenfold. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion. Familiar characters return (don't hold your breath for Bill or Katt, though), and supposedly the storyline takes some quite unexpected twists.

SF64's multiplayer was weak in features, but it was a blast specifically for Arwing battles. Assault's multiplayer mode has been beefed up in a lot of ways; on-foot players aren't as useless as previously, and have more than one bloody weapon to choose from. You can get in and out of vehicles (which are scattered around the stages), and each character has individual stats. It's comfortably customisable too, and you can select teams, and restrictions on which vehicles are available. More levels and characters are unlockable.

Also included in Assault are three classic Namco games (I sound like a friggin' ad here. How often do I actually say 'classic'?), among them is Xevious. No SNES Star Fox, or the unreleased Star Fox 2, unfortunately.

The above may not be 100% correct, but it should be pretty accurate.
Unfortunately, the game seems like it'll disappoint most. They've changed the formula an awful lot, and perhaps not for the better. Regardless, it's worth a rental, at least. All because a game isn't good, doesn't mean it can't be fun. And either way, maybe all that I've read is just too opinion-based. I have a feeling I'll like it, myself.

EDIT: Dude, you're right. I can't believe I actually made a dig at Freddie Mercury. That's uncalled for. :no:

phaedrus
5th February 2005, 10:31 PM
well, there's nothing wrong with Freddie Mercury.

edit: if you rent it post here what it turns out like.

The Muffin Man
25th February 2005, 10:58 PM
Awesome game. The on-foot levels are freaking amazing, and getting back into an Arwin to deal with Slippys dumbass is seemless and fun.

All in all, this is a great Star Fox game, if a bit short.

phaedrus
25th February 2005, 11:07 PM
Awesome game. The on-foot levels are freaking amazing, and getting back into an Arwin to deal with Slippys dumbass is seemless and fun.

All in all, this is a great Star Fox game, if a bit short.
it really is that good?

maybe i need to get this...

PokeLady Jeannette
27th February 2005, 10:04 AM
Has Nintendo of Australia annouced an Aussie release date for Starfox Assault yet?

PNT510
27th February 2005, 12:06 PM
I went to the Austrailan Nintendo website and the game is still listed as TBA

sesshomaru
27th February 2005, 01:29 PM
i am looking foward to it a lot

The Muffin Man
27th February 2005, 04:02 PM
This game has some awesome music. I'm currently in love with the Star Wolf theme. I wanna fight them on Silver(They were little/no challange on Bronze) just to hear the music longer.

PokeLady Jeannette
28th February 2005, 08:25 AM
Don't make me (BEEP)ing get the game on import!!! Don't make me!!! Either you tell me the release date, or I'll complain to your current management and have you fired!!!

PS. What the (beep) is going on at Nintendo Australia? They are missing opportunities like this.
PPS. And speaking of imports, why aren't there more copies of Freeloader for the Gamecube at places like Target, Myer, EB Games, Games Wizard, etc.? Australia has to realize that some gamers can't wait that long for certain games, even "Japan only" release games or certain sports titles (like those NCAA sims or MLB Slugfest '-03/'04) for example.

The Muffin Man
28th February 2005, 08:55 AM
Why not import it? It's well worth it.

Also, as for imports, once Mother 3 is released, I'm importing that like nobodies business.

PNT510
28th February 2005, 10:40 AM
Do you need a modchip for you gamecube to play imported games?

PokeLady Jeannette
28th February 2005, 10:53 AM
Is their really a mod chip for Gamecubes? (slaps self) Don't tempt me yet! Don't.

Australian gamers get shafted as far as Gamecube is concerned. (Besides, unless I am really desperate...I WILL NOT IMPORT!)

BTW, will someone tell Nintendo Australia that if they don't give a release date for Starfox Assault (Australian date, BTW), I WILL PERSONALLY HUNT DOWN THE CEO OF NINTENDO AUSTRALIA, STRANGLE HIM/HER AND STEP OVER THE BODY. (I am tired of us Australians being forced to wait too long for games!) Give me Starfox Assault now, or give me the death of the Nintendo Australian man who makes us wait!!! (And I can be ruthless about doing it if it's necessary. It will send a message to the rest of the company that I'm not some passionate fangirl without a cause here, even if that cause drives me to set an example to the rest of the company!)

The Muffin Man
28th February 2005, 01:09 PM
Ok first off, calm the hell down. I doubt you'd ACTUALLY threaten the lives of someone in a position of power at a company, lest you don't value your ISP OR freedom.

Secondly, you don't need a mod chip. You can modchip it, get a boot disc, or a chip that apparently goes in through the ethernet port.

Scroll down, you want the "Freeloader" stuff. You'll have to get it seperate, (http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?nav=over&category=81&)and I suggest you get a US one as they might not be interchangable.

Drago
1st March 2005, 02:29 AM
I highly recommend importing if you have access to Freeloader. I only have a scaled-down version that I got with Cube magazine, but it's worked well enough for me. My mom sent Mario Golf from Canada months before it came out here, and it's all smiles since then.

btw Mike, I'm quite glad to hear that you like it. I guess I was just more worried than I should be. Any other noteworthy matters? Tried multiplayer?

And since I enjoy leeching off of the efforts of others, I might as well link over to the audio section of Arwing Landing (http://www.arwinglanding.net/music/index.php?page=assaultmusic), which has, among other things, the Star Wolf theme.

The Muffin Man
1st March 2005, 11:21 AM
I highly recommend importing if you have access to Freeloader. I only have a scaled-down version that I got with Cube magazine, but it's worked well enough for me. My mom sent Mario Golf from Canada months before it came out here, and it's all smiles since then.

btw Mike, I'm quite glad to hear that you like it. I guess I was just more worried than I should be. Any other noteworthy matters? Tried multiplayer?

And since I enjoy leeching off of the efforts of others, I might as well link over to the audio section of Arwing Landing (http://www.arwinglanding.net/music/index.php?page=assaultmusic), which has, among other things, the Star Wolf theme.

Thanks for the link, and Multiplayer is a blast. Things unlock fairly quick("Congradulations! Peppy has been unlocked!" What? I just played ONE MATCH) and it's pretty fun to battle on foot. Even more fun to fire rockets at the Landmaster all day.

All in all it's a fun game, if a bit short.

Dark Scizor
3rd March 2005, 02:07 PM
Sounds quite good.

TMM: How long did it take you to complete it?

The Muffin Man
3rd March 2005, 02:42 PM
Not done yet, but on the last on-foot level(one more Arwing only level left) and I'd hazard a guess of only a few hours...Not really short considering the genre, but still very fun.