PDA

View Full Version : Overpriced Video Games

Metallixs Girl
15th January 2005, 08:18 PM
Ok, when the Playstation was brand new, we weren't allowed to get one because CDs were fairly new and my mom thought they would get scratched and ruined. I followed the Nintendo line, completely with a Sega Genesis also.

This means that I missed out on all the classic PS1 RPGs, and now I have an urge for them, especially Star Ocean 2 since I got SO3 and had emulated SO. Ok, anyway, I go looking for Xenogears and SO2 on Ebay, since I got Xenosaga with SO3 for Christmas. I find a Xenogears sealed that I Bought It Now for $15, pretty good right? It hasn't arrived yet though.

Then I search for SO2. I have to get videogames from ebay sealed. They want $69 or $79 for a sealed one! Too expensive for me...:( Now if it was $50 or even $60 I could understand, but why charge more than the standard price for brand new games when the one in question is so old? And why aren't the other great RPGs treated that well? A sealed FF7 went for around $15. Oh, that reminds me that right when Zelda Collection came out, EBGames wanted $75.

Thoughts? How much would you pay for a classic game like that?

PNT510
15th January 2005, 09:36 PM
The reason you would have to pay that much is FF7 is still in print, and can be found all stores that sell PS1 games. Because not Xenogears wasn't as popular as FF7, they are only a few unopened copies of the game left, so the price goes up. Supply and Demand it's basic economics.

You should be able to get a used copy of the game for $15 to $30 though.

Razola
15th January 2005, 10:54 PM
The Collector's Edition of World of Warcraft is going for $150 on EB's website.

Greedy little bastards. I'm tempted to never buy from them again.

Shadow Djinn
15th January 2005, 11:01 PM
Try getting Tactics Ogre for PS1. It goes 60 and up.

HavoX
15th January 2005, 11:08 PM
The full ****ing price for DooM 3 was $54.99 at my local Best Buy.

But since I pre-ordered it, I saved 10 bucks when I bought it.

Razola
15th January 2005, 11:12 PM
I am afriad to admit that this thread isn't about "overpriced" games. It's more like "old, rare stuff costs more."

The older a game is, and the less popular it was, the higher the price tag. If you want overpriced, HavoX has the real example: retailers loooove tacking on an extra five bucks or so for the games that are hyped to Legendary status. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Halo 2 are among those I saw being upped a little for those who don't pre-order.

Yeah it sucks that those of us who didn't play classic game X have to pay a bit more than we would like to for it, but are you going to complain about the price of games from the 1980s? It's simple supply and demand.

Metallixs Girl
16th January 2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, true, Razola. I guess I was thinking any game could have been mentioned here though... Still, do you think the Zelda disk should have been $75? Zelda is being reincarnated in everything lately, so it's not exactly rare anymore...

PNT510
16th January 2005, 01:37 PM
Well seeing as how the disc never was never for sale, by the time retailers got it, they could charge as much as they wanted, because the demand was so high, and the supply is so low.

The Muffin Man
16th January 2005, 04:01 PM
I am afriad to admit that this thread isn't about "overpriced" games. It's more like "old, rare stuff costs more."

The older a game is, and the less popular it was, the higher the price tag. If you want overpriced, HavoX has the real example: retailers loooove tacking on an extra five bucks or so for the games that are hyped to Legendary status. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Halo 2 are among those I saw being upped a little for those who don't pre-order.

Yeah it sucks that those of us who didn't play classic game X have to pay a bit more than we would like to for it, but are you going to complain about the price of games from the 1980s? It's simple supply and demand.

Indeed, never seen "overpriced" modern games. But Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3(6), and Earthbound all go for $40-80. Averaging around 60 at Gamestop/Funcoland.

and Dragon Warrior 4(NES) goes for $60 last I saw it. Might be more/less depending on current ports/trends.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th January 2005, 04:42 AM
Well, the prices you list there make me laugh, in Austria the games are much more expensive. I remember buying import US games for the SNES for up to 1,200 Schillings (approx. 75 USD).

Heck, I even know a store that's still selling old NES games, in original packing, for 75 bucks. They have those games in their shelves ever since the NES died a decade ago.

Personally I have to say, if I want a game, I'll buy it, no matter what the price tag says.

I can only imagine old games selling for that much if someone's selling them who has little competition in that field and thinks "if someone really wants that old thing, they'll have to pay a pretty penny". Especially ebay can be bad in that regard. If the old game you want to buy would be a rarity, like Metal Gear 2 for the NES or something similar, then the price you state sounds good to me.

Otherwise I'd just go and check some online store, maybe they still have what you want for sale.

Sceptile_Master
23rd January 2005, 03:37 PM
I got my FF7 for £12.99. Best 13 bucks I ever spent. Worth far far more than that i tellz yaz.

andyizcool
23rd January 2005, 03:47 PM
I wait until video games come down in price before buying them and even then I have to think before buying them because I'm so uptight with my money. I saw Star Ocean 3: Till The End Of Time with the Final Fantasy XII Bonus Disc for £19.99 online and it wasn't even Platinum so I had to buy it because it's a great RPG. Whenever I want a game I search everywhere online for it because offline games are sold at rip off prices being £10 more and whatnot.