PDA

View Full Version : AIM keeps screwing up

Cheesey
17th January 2005, 01:44 PM
Er, yeah. Whenever I try to sign onto AIM, it freezes on either step 1 ("Connecting") or step 2 ("Verifying name and password"). I've tried to log in with all the AIM screen names that I've made which I can remember, and none of them work. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it again when I was a bit bored and out of ideas, and that didn't work either. Any ideas what's going on? It's annoying me now.

Magmar
17th January 2005, 01:45 PM
Same thing happened to me--I have no idea what the fuck is wrong with AIM.

My AIM keeps disconnecting and connecting over and over and over and over... it's driving my friends nuts but I have no clue why it's doing that.

kainashi
17th January 2005, 01:48 PM
which os are you using?

HavoX
17th January 2005, 01:48 PM
and are you using the latest version?

Magmar
17th January 2005, 01:55 PM
i am using the latest version personally

Cheesey
17th January 2005, 01:58 PM
John: Windows XP
HavoX: I think so, but I'm not sure. I dunno which version it is that I'm using, and they seem to upgrade it without me noticing.

I think it's 5.2 but I couldn't tell you for sure.

kainashi
17th January 2005, 02:03 PM
John: Windows XP
HavoX: I think so, but I'm not sure. I dunno which version it is that I'm using, and they seem to upgrade it without me noticing.

I think it's 5.2 but I couldn't tell you for sure.help -> about aol instant messenger tells you the version you're using. :) if you're using 5.2, upgrade to 5.5 here (http://www.oldversion.com/downloadx/aim553595.exe) and see if that helps. if not, report back. ;)

HavoX
17th January 2005, 02:06 PM
latest version of AIM as of now is 5.9, not 5.5

(oh well)

kainashi
17th January 2005, 02:09 PM
latest version of AIM as of now is 5.9, not 5.5

(oh well)i know that but 5.9 is crap. so much extra useless stuff included.

HavoX
17th January 2005, 02:20 PM
i know that but 5.9 is crap. so much extra useless stuff included.ah... no wonder AIM 5.9 received so much negative feedback from reviewers at download.com

pop-up ads, sidebar ads... and just about every other bullshit we never wanted in AIM in the first place http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Cheesey
17th January 2005, 02:24 PM
Okay, I've got the new version of AIM, but it's still freezing. Although, now it just freezes when it's trying to verify who I am, and not when it's trying to connect (it only did that sometimes before, but it doesn't do it at all now).

kainashi
17th January 2005, 02:41 PM
you could try deleting the aim folder from application data but then you would have to redo all of your program settings.

RedStarWarrior
17th January 2005, 07:44 PM
I suggest an alternative like GAIM or Trillian.

Cheesey
21st January 2005, 01:42 PM
Well, it's working now. I just had to poke about with some settings on my computer and stuff. I don't know exactly what it is that was preventing it from signing on, but I ended up fixing it anyway.