PDA

View Full Version : the Legend of Blank Myn: Pokémon Trainer

Greyfox
18th January 2005, 12:17 PM
[SONG ATM: Blindside - Pitiful (3:14)]

This would be the second piece of fiction to coincide with the End of the Dark Ages </shamelessplug>. It's the story of one of the other trainers from Pallet Town by the name of Blank Myn. He is originally from America where Pokémon are less apparent, so he's really new to the experience. Most of the story is set to the tune of me... playing Pokémon FireRed, however there is a good bit of changes as well, which you'll note later on as the story goes on.

the LEGEND of BLANK MYN

POKéMON TRAINER

DAY ONE

"Enter Blank Myn"

In the world which you are about to enter, you will embark on a grand adventure with you as the hero.

Speak to the people and check things wherever you go, be it towns, roads, or caves. Gather information and hints from every source.

New paths will open to you by helping people in need, overcoming challenges, and solving mysteries.

At times, you will be challenged by others and attacked by wild creatures. Be brave, and keep pushing on.

Through your adventure, we hope that you will interact with all sorts of people and achieve personal growth. That is your biggest objective.

Eleven-year old trainer Blank Myn closes the Beginning Trainer's Manual and places it on the bed next to him. He had been waiting for this day to come ever since he moved to Kanto. The very idea of leaving home and training creatures was very foreign to him, after all, he had moved here two years ago with his mother.

Blank Myn and his mother were originally from America, where Pokémon were almost nonexistant. He had never actually seen one until Professor Oak showed one to him. That was years ago--a Poison aligned Pokémon that went by the name of "Nidoran".

He remembered vaguely the words that Oak told him those years ago...

Hello there! Glad to meet you. Welcome to the world of Pokémon! My name is Oak. People affectionately refer to me as the Pokémon Professor.

This world is inhabited far and wide be creatures called Pokémon. For some people, Pokémon are pets. Other use them for battling. As for myself... I study Pokémon as a profession.

Blank replayed the words in his head over and over as he walked down the stairs of his small abode, "step-step-step". He saw his mother on the other side of the room from where he was, not looking forward to this day quite as much as he was.

He walked over to his mother who was just sitting in a chair, quiet and patient. Blank couldn't see her tears, but he knew that they would come as soon as he left his mother's arms. Before he could open his mouth to say anything, she interrupted him.

"...right. All boys leave home someday. It said so on TV. Oh, yes. Professor Oak, next door, was looking for you."

Odd. She is taking this a little better than Blank had though. Oh well. Blank and his mother said their goodbyes before the young boy stepped out of the small house at the southern tip of the town. Blank promised that he'd call her every day, despite knowing full well that he couldn't be trusted to do that.

The morning sun shined brightly in the young boy's eyes as he wandered mindlessly though the town, scanning for any signs of Professor Oak. The young boy was in a state of anxiousness and nervousness, all rolled in at once. It was the first time he had been away from his mother, so it'd be a difficult journey, yet rewarding all at the same time.

As he let his mind wander aimlessly, he himself actually stumbled onto the heavy grasses of Route 1. Breaking his unaimed concentration was the loud words of the familiar voice--

"Hey! Wait!"

Blank turned around to face the man who called him out, "What?"

"It's unsafe! Wild Pokémon live in tall grass! You need your own Pokémon for your protection," Oak said to him, "I know! Here, come with me!"

Professor Oak notioned for Blank to follow, and that he did. They trekked over to Oak's laboratory in the south side of town. Upon entering, they were both intercepted by Gary--Professor Oak's grandson.

"Gramps! I'm fed up with waiting!" Gary yelled out with a hint of aggrivation in his tone.

"Gary? Let me think..." replied Oak, a bit confused, "Oh, that's right, I told you to come. Just wait!"

Blank began to think to himself, 'What's going on? Oak can't really be that forgetful, can he? Well... he did forget his own grandson's name a few times... I guess it makes sense...'

"Here, Blank." Oak interrupted his thoughts, "There are three Pokémon here. Haha!"

"Wha?" Blank sputtered.

Oak was very pleased with himself having made a "funny", "The Pokémon are held inside these Poké Balls," and that was the punchline, "When I was young, I was a serious Pokémon Trainer. But now, in my old age, I have only these three left. You can have one. Go on, choose!"

Gary again couldn't go a mere few minutes without having said something, "Hey! Gramps! No fair! What about me?"

"Be patient, Gary," Oak retorted, "You can have one, too!"

'Heheh, this is great,' Blank thought with glee, 'Oak sounds like he wants to adopt me, and Gary is getting yelled at. This couldn't be more perfect. Maybe he'll wanna adopt me!'

Blank began to dance around his own joyous thoughts until Gary smacked him in the head demanding him to pick a Pokémon so that he could do the same. Blank stepped over to the table, three Poké Balls in front of him. He had already decided what Pokémon he was gonna pick--Charmander. The thought of eventually having a massive dragon Pokémon to have and wreak havoc over other trainers aroused his interests quite a lot. He eased over to the Poké Ball on to the right.

"Ah! Charmander is your choice. You should raise it patiently," Oak perked up spurting out his words of wisdom, "So, Blank, you're claiming the Fire Pokémon Charmander?"

Words could not escape Blank as he was much to excited. Oak could see that Blank was salivating at the very thought of having the Charmander, "This Pokémon is really quite energetic!" he informed, "Do you want to give a nickname to this Charmander?"

Blank snapped out of his own little world and thought for a moment, "Yeah," he replied as if he had come up with the perfect moniker, "Efreet--"

"Efreet, you say?" Oak questioned.

"Efreet," Blank confirmed, "it's like a gargoyle."

"Yes, yes of course."

Gary ran over to the Poké Ball to Blank's left, "I'll take this one, then!"

Oak piped in, "Are you su-"

Gary interrupted rudely, "Yeah, no question about it!"

Blank rolled his eyes and began to walk out of the laboratory. Just as his hand rested on the doorknob, Gary called out to him.

"Wait, Blank!" he snickered, "Let's check out our Pokémon!"

"I don't know, Gar-"

"Come on, I'll take you on!"

RIVAL GARY would like to battle!

"Go! Squirtle!" Gary slides the small Poké Ball from his hand to the center of the laboratory, releasing Squirtle--the Water-element Pokémon."

Blank shrugs his shoulders, tossing his Poké Ball as well, "Efreet, you are the elect!"

"Oh, for pete's sake!" Oak interjected, "Blank. You've never had a Pokémon battle before, have you?"

"Well... no... not really..."

"A Pokémon battle is when Trainers pit their Pokémon against each other."

"Like a cock fight!"

"Er... right," Oak stumbles over his own words, "The Trainer that makes the other Trainer's Pokémon faint by lowering their HP to "0," wins. But, rather than talking about it, you'll learn more from experience. Try battling and see for yourself."

"That's what I was doing until you interrupted me," Blank sneered.

"Oh... sorry..."

"Alright Efreet, let's see what you can do!" Blank shouted, "Use Scratch!"

Blank's Charmander runs up to the tiny turtle Pokémon on the opposite side of the fighting ring, and swipes at him with his small claws, digging into his hide, "CHAR!"

"Inflicting damage on the foe is the key to any battle," Oak interrupted once more.

"Squirtle, use Tail Whip!" Gary commanded.

The Water Pokémon nodded, walking over to Ifrit and slapping the small lizard Pokémon with his tail, thus lowering Ifrit's defense.

"Efreet, hit him with another Scratch!"

The match goes back in forth with Efret using Scratch and Squirtle using Tail Whip and the eventual Tackle until Squirtle is felled.

EFREET gained 70 EXP. Points! EFREET grew to LV. 6! Player defeated RIVAL GARY! Blank got 80Y for winning!

"WHAT?" Gary fumed, "Unbelievable! I picked the wrong Pokémon!"

"Hm! Excellent!" the older professor mused, "If you win, you earn prize money, and your Pokémon will grow! Battle other Trainers and make your Pokémon strong!"

"Okay! I'll make my Pokémon battle to toughen him up!" said Gary as he stormed out of Oak's Lab, "Gramps! Smell you later!"

Blank said his goodbyes to Professor Oak and headed out the same way that Gary did, managing to catch up with the arrogant trainer. The two wandered together through Route 1 until Gary stopped, gazing at a small Pidgey perched on the grass.

"Pst... Blank," he whispered, "See that Pidgey over there?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna catch it!"

Gary flashed five small Poké Balls, all similar to the one that held his Squirtle, as well as a shiny red computer.

"How'd you get those?!"

"Heh, I knew you'd be jealous," Gary snickered, "I swiped them from Gramps when he wasn't looking. Now watch as I take the next step towards becoming Kanto's next Pokémon Master!"

Blank watched in awe as Gary tossed the round Poké Ball in the air with much finesse. The ball sailed in the air mindlessly as it smacked into the unsuspecting bird Pokémon. Upon impact the ball opened up, shooting out a red beam of light which instantly retracted the Pidgey into itself within just a moments time. The ball shook once... twice... three times... until it stopped. Gary had caught a Pidgey. The entire event left Blank in awestruck--it was if that was written somewhere in the Bible...

"Wow... nicely done..." Blank supposed.

"Thanks." Gary accepted the compliment arrogantly, as if he were expecting everyone he'd meet in the future to say them.

The high noon sky was littered by white fluffy clouds. The two had spent the previous hour or so parked in Route 1 watching as their Pokémon battled against various Pidgey and Rattata, managing to level up once, learning Ifrit Ember. Upon reaching Viridian City, Blank and Gary departed ways. Blank decided to check out the Poké Mart to purchase some Poké Balls.

Upon entering the shop, the keeper instantly recognized him, "Hey! You came from Pallet Town?"

"Uh... yeah..." Blank replied.

"You know Professor Oak, right?"

"Uh huh..."

"His order came in. Can I get you to take it to him?"

"Can't I just buy some stuff that'll inevitably be vastly insuperior to the goods that I'll find on my travels?"

"No."

"Aww..." Blank whined as he took the small parcel from the shopkeep's hands.

"Okay, thanks! Please say hi to Professor Oak for me, too."

Blank didn't reply with kind words, rather a harsh grumbling noise.

Blank made his way back through Route 1, battling the random Rattata and Pidgey that crossed his path. They were obviously no match for Efreet's raw power. While he walked the mean streets of... Route 1..., he saw the last trainer from Pallet, trying to train their disobedient Pikachu.

'Poor guy,' Blank thought to himself, 'I bet that as soon as he gets to Celadon, he'll buy a Thunderstone and evolve that sucker... heh...'

Upon entering Pallet Town, Blank immediately went to see his mother.

"Hi, Blank," she said to him, "You should take a quick rest."

Blank released his Charmander and showed him off, resting for a good twenty minutes or so until Efreet regained his strength.

"Oh good!" his mom smiled, "You and your Pokémon are looking great. Take care now!"

"Alright, mom..."

Blank, for the second time today, stepped out of his mother's house and wandered over to Oak's lab.

"Oh, Blank!" said Oak, "How is my old Pokémon? Well, it seems to be growing more attached to you. You must be talanted as a Pokémon Trainer. What's that? You have something for me?"

"Slow down Professor," Blank said, "I haven't said anything at all yet..."

"Sorry... force of habit..."

Blank gave Oak the small parcel.

"Ah!" Oak took the package in his own arms, "It's the custom Poké Ball! I had it on order. Thank you."

"No problem, Professor..."

"I have a request for you, Blank," Oak said, walking over to his desk and taking a small piece of machinery from it, "This here is my invention, the Pokédex! It automatically records data on Pokémon you've seen or caught. It's a high-tech encyclopedia! Blank--I want you to take this with you."

"Woah, Professor, that's a pretty expensive looking device..."

"I know... and someone swiped the other one from me too... oh well..."

"I see..."

"You can't get detailed data on Pokémon by just seeing them," Oak informed, "you must catch them to obtain complete data."

"Ah..."

Blank wasn't really paying any attention. He was merely randomly inserting one-syllable updates to make Oak think that he was.

"So, here are some tools for catching wild Pokémon," Oak said as he handed Blank five empty Poké Balls."

"Thanks!" Blank accepted them.

"When a wild Pokémon appears, it's fair game. Just throw a Poké Ball at it and try to catch it! This won't always work, however," Oak advised, "A healthy Pokémon can escape. You have to be luck!"

"Uh huh..."

"To make a complete guide on all the Pokémon in the world..."

Meanwhile, in Blank's mind... 'Wow... he just keeps going on and on... would you look at those wrinkles? Man... how old is this guy? And how long has that stain been on his lab coat?'

"...that was my dream! But I'm too old. I can't get the job done. So, I want you to fulfill my dream for me. Get moving, Blank!"

Bursting Blank's thought bubbles, "Huh, wha?" Blank took a second to realize where he was, "Oh, right..."

He took the five extra Poké Balls and placed them in his bright yellow knapsack that laid over his back. With the Pokédex in his hand, he walked out of Oak's laboratory to greet the afternoon once more. He opened up the Pokédex and looked at his data thus far:

BLANK'S POKéDEX COMPLETION

3 POKéMON SEEN

1 POKéMON OWNED

CHARMANDER 8

END DAY ONE