PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo?

A Grilled Fish
25th January 2005, 05:06 PM
First off, I'll ask, DID ANYBODY DO NANOWRIMO?

If you don't know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month and takes place in November. The only requirement is to write a novel of at least 50,000 words in that one month. I started late, but I did it nonetheless. You can look at http://www.nanowrimo.com/ for more information.

So did anyone else do it, or am I alone?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/images/nanowrimo/bunny-winner-100.jpg

The Decapitated Mole
25th January 2005, 06:34 PM
I gotta say, you're as alone as a fish in some sort of fish-less convention. As long as I count as the entire population of everything, of course.

But no, I didn't do it. Sounds like it might be fun to try next year, though. Good try, though.

o_0
jimm

ladyumbra
25th January 2005, 07:39 PM
I did it and fiailed got 26 thousand words and quit i couldnt force myself todo it anymore. next year i am so writing a fanfiction.

mistysakura
25th January 2005, 11:44 PM
Well, I ain't in your nation, so I'd never heard of it before until now. But sounds interesting as a personal goal. And congratulations on doing it.

A Grilled Fish
26th January 2005, 12:02 AM
Well, I ain't in your nation, so I'd never heard of it before until now. But sounds interesting as a personal goal. And congratulations on doing it.
It doesn't matter if you're not in the nation, this is an internet-only kind of thing. Taken straight from their own FAQ:

Can I participate if I'm not American?
You bet! We are very proud to be an international event, and don't consider the "National" in the title to refer to the United States. This is an event for all nations. We'd change the name to "International Novel Writing Month," but InaNoWriMo doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way.

So you can go for it next year! And to ladyumbra, congratulations on getting more than halfway done, which is still an accomplishment.

Captain Pringle
26th January 2005, 07:16 PM
I've thought about doing it for the past two years, but I've never actually done it. Heh, given my writing history, there's no way I'd be able to keep up. ^_^

A Grilled Fish
26th January 2005, 09:03 PM
I didn't think it would be possible for me either, as I had never written anything longer than five pages, but you would be surprised at how much you can write once you get started. The trick is quantity over quality, and no editing allowed. I would select all my text and color it white so I wouldn't be tempted to edit it after I was done writing it, and it worked wonders! Sure, it may be 50,000 words of worthless junk, but practice makes perfect, and I feel that I even though the novel I produced was utter crap, I am a better writer from the experience.

mistysakura
26th January 2005, 11:06 PM
Heh, editing. I'm a perfectionist, I'd say every word in any of my finished products has been changed at least three times. Takes a long, long time to write anything. But the main reason is the procrastination, and I reckon this might help me to get over that. Except November's kind of an awkward month with exams and all. Meh.

PancaKe
29th January 2005, 07:44 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe this year we should have a bunch of TPM representatives enter or something :P I think it would be cool bananas ^.^

mr_pikachu
29th January 2005, 10:58 PM
I heard about this many years ago, but I'd forgotten all about it until now. Maybe next year I should enter... provided I don't forget again, of course. I'll have to look into that website to make sure it'll be worthwhile, though. If I actually make something good, I don't want it to become their property just because it was posted on their website...

A Grilled Fish
30th January 2005, 01:26 AM
Don't worry, it won't be posted on their website at all! What you do at the end of November is save your novel as a text file and upload it, it does a word count and if you have over 50,000 you win. It does not save it, and it even suggests encrypting the novel so that it can't be intercepted. In other words, you could cheat and make a text file with the word 'watermelon' copied 50,000 times, but where's the fun in that?