PDA

View Full Version : [Preview] Episode 390 (AG 114) - Rollout! Donphan in Love!!

Animelee
8th February 2005, 10:18 PM
* This is episode 391 (AG 115) for those of you who count the delayed-until-appropriate "Earthquake Island" episode.

So Satoshi and his friends are travelling across the sea by boat to Kinagi Town, where Haruka's last Contest takes place. On their way, they stop by on an island, where they see a Donphan, and a bunch of other male Donphan, trying to get the attention of a shiny female Donphan. The way Donphan impress eachother seems to be by using Rollout on the Pokémon they like, which is what we see these male Donphan doing to the female. She ain't budging, which probably means she ain't interested if you're not strong enough to move her.

Takeshi, always being pathetic in love, sees one Donphan who is equally as pathetic as him in trying to capture the heart of the female... or something.

Anyways, in the next scene, we actually see the shiny female using Rollout alongside another Donphan, which means he got her attention. Then Team Rocket gets hit by both of 'em, heh.

So, Takeshi has an idea to help out the pathetic Donphan (the one with the bandage on his trunk). He decides to train him by having Satoshi use Yukiwarasi -- who's an Ice-type and strong against Donphan -- use Ice Beam on Donphan while he strengthens his Rollout move.
Takeshi voices the preview, which is nice for a change. :)

Satoshi = Ash
Kinagi Town = Pacifidlog Town
Haruka = May
Takeshi = Brock
Yukiwarasi = Snorunt

[attachment deleted by admin]

Edward Elric
9th February 2005, 12:35 AM
If you don't mind me posting this, here's the video clip of the preview. ^^;

http://myuu.munkki.net/opsends/AG115Preview.avi

Also wanna note that Snorunt's Japanese name is Yukiwarashi, not Yukiwarasi. o.o

Zak
9th February 2005, 12:52 AM
If you don't mind me posting this, here's the video clip of the preview. ^^;

http://myuu.munkki.net/opsends/AG115Preview.avi

Also wanna note that Snorunt's Japanese name is Yukiwarashi, not Yukiwarasi. o.o

I'll let preview clips slide since they're on the official site.

And yeah... just thought I'd mention that while literally Snorunt is Yukiwarashi, Animelee uses the names as they're supposed to sound, not transliterated. Like, he calls Trapinch "Knuckler", rather than "Nakkuraa", seeing as that's what it's basically supposed to mean.

However, you're actually right... Snorunt is Yukiwarashi in the way that it makes sense as well, because yuki = snow, warashi = child.

~Zak

Animelee
9th February 2005, 02:19 AM
The non-Japanese games have a ten-letter limit for Pokémon nicknames, whereas the Japanese games have five.

Yukiwarashi = 11
Yukiwarasi = 10 (Using a different romanization system for that one, and it still works. The "sh" in Japanese is really a mix of "s" and "sh" when you listen closely, so either one works. I'm not saying you don't know that, I'm just listing it for people who don't. ^^)

I also use Fusigidane, Fusigiso, Fusigibana, Tamazarasi, and... that's it, I think. But yeah, like Zak said, I "fully romanize" (not sure what the correct term is) the names, whereas some people prefer to spell them exactly how they are in "raw Katakana".

"Fully romanized": Flygon, Knuckler, Pikachu, Delvil, Barriered, Mew, etc.
"Raw Katakana": Furaigon, Nakuraa, Pikachuu, Derubiru, Bariyaado, Myuu, etc.

Water Pokemon Master
9th February 2005, 03:52 AM
BLASTOISE!!! I BETTER GET A PRIZE, ANIMELEE!!!

You guys are all wrong. His name is "Yukiorishee." :D

Zhen Lin
9th February 2005, 04:02 AM
Baah. Why use Nipponsiki or Kunreisiki when even the road signs are romanised in Hepburn?

Anyway. Romanisation (or, perhaps, Anglicification) is meant to represent sounds in a way that English readers will be able to figure out easily - hence the use of sh rather than s. The /s/ in /si/ has been analysed as both the postalveolar fricative [S] (as in she) as well as the alveolo-palatal fricative [s\] - which doesn't mean a at the same time as a [C] (as in German ich) - rather, the tongue is simply closer to the palate than the postalveolar position.

On the other hand, there are also romanisation schemes that are designed to reflect phonology rather than phonetics - but these are usually used for academic purposes only.

Animelee
9th February 2005, 05:41 AM
I use Hepburn when I can, but like I mentionned, there's that damn ten-letter limit in the English, German, Spanish, French, and Italian translations of the game.

I do use "shi" or "tsu" when I can stay under the ten-letter limit, like in Hinoarashi, Magmarashi, and Odoshishi. Otherwise I have to use either "tu", "si", or both.

Let me guess -- you're studying linguistics, aren't ya? ;)

BLASTOISE!!! I BETTER GET A PRIZE, ANIMELEE!!!

Wha...?! :what:

The Blue Avenger
9th February 2005, 03:21 PM
I think WPM was referring to your sig.

Zhen Lin
10th February 2005, 07:38 AM
Let me guess -- you're studying linguistics, aren't ya? ;)

Not yet. I hope to, but who knows what I'll do in 4, 5 years when I declare my majors? I might study linguistics, or Japanese language, or mathematics, or physics, or computer science. I only became interested in the first one about 6 months ago...

Hanada Tattsu
11th February 2005, 09:06 PM
Reminds me exactly of the Butterfree episode. Notice how the female Donphan is shiny? ^^

Animelee
15th February 2005, 06:24 PM
Ah, I see, Zhen Lin.

Anyways, was I way off about this episode, or what? The preview was incredibly deceiving. @_@

This episode was great, and we got some character development and backstory with Haruka! Some great one-on-one time with Haruka and Satoshi, too.

Also, besides that, we got a funny mini-story with the two Donphan, heh.

I was also glad to see Satoshi remembering his Gomazo/Phanpy back in Masara Town/Pallet Town.

Sometimes, though, I wish Team Rocket would either change and become more interesting, or just leave. They're very annoying...

All-in-all, I'm glad the boat guy got his boat working, so Haruka could afterall get in time to Kinagi Town for her last contest! Go, go, Haruka!

P0RYG0N
16th February 2005, 12:23 AM
Sometimes, though, I wish Team Rocket would either change and become more interesting, or just leave. They're very annoying...
Seriously. Do Wobbuffet and Chimecho really need to ALWAYS pop up at the end of the motto?? :grumble:
I used to think Wobbuffet was hilarious, and Chimecho is pretty much my favorite R/S Poke, but they're just plain annoying.

Speeking of Chimecho, what was it yelling at Team Rocket for when they asked it something (To use Heal bell?) ?

Animelee
16th February 2005, 12:25 AM
Musashi was demanding her in a rude tone to use Heal Bell, while Kojirou always talks to her in a sweet voice, like a father would to his young daughter.

Water Pokemon Master
16th February 2005, 01:37 AM
How do you know Chimecho is a female?

Zhen Lin
16th February 2005, 03:02 AM
The first time, Musashi simply said, yoroshiku (a way of making a request), without actually asking for Heal Bell (iyashi-no suzu)... And then got an Astonish (odorokasu) instead. Second time, I think it was a pun: iyashite (kudasai) "(please) heal us." iya shite (kudasai) "(please) be unpleasant."

Animelee
16th February 2005, 03:09 PM
That was it, Zhen Lin? *Checks* Oh, she said, "Yoroshiku ne, Chirin?", then Chirin did Astonish, and then Musashi yelled at her. *Bad memory*

I think she's a girl, Water Pokémon Master, simply out of the way she acts, all elegant-like. And then there's the way Kojirou treats her, as he's never had any female Pokémon before Chirin, so we can see that he treats females and males differently. It's just a guess, though, but all signs point to her being female.