PDA

View Full Version : which is better for a fic, sequel or spin off?

Jon UKX
1st March 2003, 02:15 PM
Which do you think is better for a fic, I personally think sequels are better as you find out how much a character(or characters) has changed since the last fic, although spin-offs focus on a minor character (or characters) who is a main character in the fic and you can see how he or she develop over the fic that you could not see in the fic they were in, so which is better, sequel or spin-off.

Lady Vulpix
19th March 2003, 03:04 PM
Well, both can be good, but in general I like sequels better. Unless the minor character was more interesting than the main characters.

Chris 2.1
19th March 2003, 04:22 PM
Well, thats an interesting question. Sequels lead to character development and fresh, new ideas/Pokemon, but can also seem unoriginal and badly put together.

spinoffs? i presume you mean a situation in which a minor character (say Rika from FRTC) had a fic of her own? Well, those are also pretty good, because we can see things from a varied/different POV, and i suppose character development is also included, from the side we dont normally see.

However, one thing i do in my most recent fanfic (The Indigo Road) is have a lot of various POV's in later chapters, telling us what happened to many characters after the first fic.

All in all, i.....i'm not sure ^^;;;

Mewfour
19th March 2003, 10:13 PM
Spinoffs are my thing. Why? Because you can take any flat, undeveloped minor character and turn him or her into another Romeo or Juliet. The possibilities of what a spinoff can be are endless...

SygmaXE
28th March 2003, 09:10 PM
Sequels can be better than spin-offs, especially if the 1st was very popular and the left the reader/viewer wanting more. The sequel should solve any mystery or puzzle purposely lefted behind by the author.

Then again, a spin-off using a minor (or important, just not main) character can usually lead to a good story development. You can focus on their lives and misadventures. I would like to try a spin-off for my fic eventually, but first, I have to get my fic half-way finish (and release the movie. Wolf Eternal: The Movie: The Novel. Don't laff!)

I like both equally. I just favor sequels a little more. Actually, I like sequels that are spin-off's at the same time. A story that continues from the prequel with a new main character!