PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you like to see Diamond and Pearl?

SWAMPERT1
14th February 2005, 11:32 PM
Well with the new pokemon revealed (sort of), I have gotten really excited for the new games. I will probably be a normal poster in this thread because of it. But anyways, in D/P, what view would you want to play them on? Would you prefer to play them in the trusty 2D, birds - eye view? Or would you like to play one of the games in 3D, like Colliseum?

I personally want 2D because I never really liked pokemon in 3D. It was okay to battle in 3D but I would rather have Nintendo use not as much space consuming graphics, and use the saved space to have more game.

andyizcool
15th February 2005, 05:55 AM
I prefer 2D because Pokemon Colosseum in 3D just seemed slower when I was running around and doing things so it really annoyed me. I also think 2D would use less memory and about a GB on a Pokemon game you can take anywhere on your little Nintendo DS sounds great. Think of all the stuff they could put into it and I hope they do put a lot of stuff into because I like having little adventures while playing the game.

Orion
15th February 2005, 01:05 PM
It was okay to battle in 3D but I would rather have Nintendo use not as much space consuming graphics, and use the saved space to have more game.

I second that. I've never been a fan of eye-enticing graphics. The only game I've enjoyed that has awesome graphics was Metroid Prime 2. Also, my favorite RPG style is 2D/Pre-Rendered 3D.

I hope Pokémon D/P keeps the 2D style it's had ever since RBY. I've never liked 3D RPGs, or games for that matter, with the exception of very few...

Sceptile_Master
15th February 2005, 02:59 PM
Yes they should just keep improving the 2d graphics. If a change like GSC -> Ru/Sa happens it should be terrific.

mr_pikachu
21st February 2005, 03:07 PM
Although I like good graphics, lots of space for adventures is absolutely essential for a GB Pokemon game. I'd like to have lots of good plot to compensate for 2D graphics. Graphics are nice, but a good, deep, and extensive storyline is critical.

PokePaul
27th February 2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I agree.
I personally didn't like battling so much in Colosseum, the fact that it was all 3D made the battles seem to go much longer and more effort which would be ok for trainer battles but can you imagine having random wild Pokemon battles like that when you're just trying to raise your team? I think it would make it even more tedious than it already is, having to watch all the fancy graphics and scenery just to KO a Pidgey for the hundredth time.
Although it was cool in Colosseum watching that ginger girl moonwalk every time you had to go in the opposite direction to her.

sesshomaru
27th February 2005, 01:18 PM
i like 3d because it makes the game more fun, in mt opinion anyway

Chris Watarimono
27th February 2005, 02:04 PM
2D

Not to mention it'd make the game slower because of the heavy graphics, but imagine all the tedious exploration. >_< You might end up missing a pivotal route or an rare item all because of a horrid camera angle blocking the way, and it makes exploration difficult, especially in such type of game, where you're trying to not explore everything from side to side, but also from top to bottom and everywhere in between. Plus the wild pogeys. Urgh. X_X

In the end, stick to hand drawn 2D sprites. Hand drawn sprites on the DS could be potentially downright gorgeous, and if they couldn't do it for the GBASP, then it's possible now with the greater technology available.

-Chris R.

sesshomaru
27th February 2005, 03:12 PM
hm......... i didnt think of that.maybe 2d is better............ can i change my vote?!

Powarun
28th February 2005, 06:23 PM
2-d if it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave 3-d to Gcube.

Sceptile_Master
1st March 2005, 03:48 PM
3D wouldn't make much difference lag wise. Do you see much lag in other 3d games. Not really. Pokemon is no different. It wouldn't really make it lag but it might take up space, which I supposse is sorted by the DS' flash chips. So it wouldn't make much difference it is just if some people would like to see it in 3d you don't have to try and convert them even though I would rather see it in improved 2d anyway. it's just pokemons style. (for handhelds, I believe a 2d console pokemon game wouldn't work as well).

Crazy
5th August 2005, 04:00 PM
If they do go 2D(which for pokemon I prefer) they had better have full animations all during the battles. The 2D itself won't have any excuse to look bad. The DS is slightly more powerful than a N64,so I would expect the 2D to be great. If it looks like a exactly like a GBA game then they are just being lazy.

Razola
17th August 2005, 10:08 AM
Graphics are nice, but a good, deep, and extensive storyline is critical.If we base it on the past, Diamond and Pearl are going to S-U-C-K.

I prefer 2D sprite. Graphics don't matter that much, but the cookie-cutter formulaic gameplay had better have died with the GBA series.

SoulflameNinetales
29th August 2005, 11:48 PM
I prefer 2D sprite. Graphics don't matter that much, but the cookie-cutter formulaic gameplay had better have died with the GBA series.

Somehow I really doubt it.

Anyway as much as I would love to see 3D graphics, it would most likely be more logical to keep with 2D sprites. But I'm more worried about the sound quality, especially that for pokemon cries. They haven't prettty much changed ever, and I do believe its high time for a tune-up. Even the music hasn't got much better overall.

Of course the storyline needs to be refreshed, though it will be difficult to give a new spin on the storyline without conflicting or changing its basic gameplay.

Razola
1st September 2005, 10:09 PM
You can easily change the storyline without affecting gameplay. Rather than numbskulls, they are actual terrorists. They do hit and run tactics and you have to flush them out of their hidey-holes.

This is one example. You can also reduce it to gang-related crime rather than one focal "mega-villain".

SoulflameNinetales
1st September 2005, 11:57 PM
But I love beating up numbskulls... :(

But you are right in a way. If they can actually get someone intelligent to aid out with the creation of the storyline, it will be improved.

But it seems that Game Freak (and of course Nintendo) usually fail in this department, so I'm not expecting miracles.

Ceipe
23rd January 2006, 09:31 AM
Considering that this game will enable online battles I think it would be best to keep it in 2D action, I liked the battles on the N64 and GCN, but not for a long gameplay. What they could do is add the actual cries the pokemon make on the game, that would be just awesome! The animations seem to be underway, in emerald the intro animations are great, but better animations for the attacks are also enssential. 2D is they way to go, let's hope nintendo and gamefreak, who seem to be imporving will make this game a Hell-of-a-game in order to ensure sells. :biggrin:

SoulflameNinetales
23rd January 2006, 04:06 PM
I hope so....i still thinking about the worth of getting them from all i've heard

Maybe 1000 people or more can sign a partition telling Ninitendo what they wanna seee....(That is just a joke) :cool:

Elekidkid
20th February 2006, 11:29 AM
I say stick with the 2D view... it would just work much better. As was said earlier, keeping the 2D view would allow for more of a storyline, which, we can all admit, Pokémon games have somewhat lacked in the past. Maybe something like the Team Rocket plot in Red/Blue, but with able leaders.

Also, with the free space I would love to see a game that includes all the different continents that have been explored in each Pokémon game. G/S/C tried it, but that caused the gym leaders in the first half (God only knows if I'd actually remember the continent's name... Johto or Kanto?) to be extremely dumbed down. Maybe push the level cap beyond 100 and include 4(?) continents worth of gym battles with one overarching plotline that keeps everything going *besides* that whole "Gotta Catch' Em All!!!!1!" deal.

But definately 2D or the 3D isometric stuff like from Super Mario RPG. Nothing too complex. And to the concern about 3D in random battles... they could probably set it so you can toggle when you'd have the full 3D battles (gyms... bosses... etc.) and when not (random trainers... wild Pokémon... that kinda stuff).

lordsalamence
28th July 2006, 06:27 PM
its gonna have 2D graphics. but like,you can call it bogus 3D.i mean, it has a 3D feel to it,but its actually 2D.just drawn differently. ;)

Elec Man EXE
31st July 2006, 12:55 PM
Combination.

I'd really like to see it take a turn like Golden Sun... mainly 2D on the map, but 3D (and fully animated) when doing battles.

rinku
7th August 2006, 06:47 PM
I

Combination.

I'd really like to see it take a turn like Golden Sun... mainly 2D on the map, but 3D (and fully animated) when doing battles.

Actually, GS cheated - technically it's not 3D, but pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds in 2D using a few special GBA graphics modes to give the illusion of 3D. But having said that, the DS is capable of so much more (a DS edition of Golden Sun would probably be proper 3D!).

Elec Man EXE
7th August 2006, 07:07 PM
Hmm, interesting. Still, something like that would be cool to see for Pokemon, IMO.