PDA

View Full Version : Gates announces IE7 and other things

kainashi
15th February 2005, 01:00 PM
Windows XP SP2 Gains Momentum; New Browser Planned
In August, Microsoft released Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), which included major security advancements. Windows XP SP2 includes significant upgrades to Internet Explorer, incorporating a stronger security infrastructure to help thwart malicious software attacks, block suspicious content and eliminate many common spoofing attempts. Gates cited the fact that there are now more than 170 million copies of Windows XP SP2 distributed around the world, and highlighted a recent report from Web analytics firm WebSideStory Inc. that shows almost half of all computer users browsing the Web on weekends are better protected with Windows XP SP2. Businesses are also embracing Windows XP SP2: Of 800 enterprise customers recently surveyed, Microsoft has received commitments from 77 percent to deploy Windows XP SP2 over the next six months. For example, Merrill Lynch, a leading financial management and advisory company, has committed to deploying Windows XP SP2 companywide -- across 50,000 desktops -- by the middle of the year.

"We're installing Windows XP SP2 companywide on over 50,000 desktops because we recognize that its security enhancements are significant. As the frequency of attacks against computer systems increases, it's becoming critically important to have our systems protected against hackers, viruses and other security risks," said Joseph Martella, director of End User Computing, Product Engineering at Merrill Lynch.

Building on those advancements, Gates announced Internet Explorer 7.0, designed to add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility that customers have come to expect. Internet Explorer 7.0 will also provide even stronger defenses against phishing, malicious software and spyware. The beta release is scheduled to be available this summer.

Addressing the Threat of Malware
Since December, Microsoft has rolled out new capabilities to assist customers in combating malicious or unwanted software and removing it from their machines, including the beta version of Windows AntiSpyware. Customers have downloaded more than 6 million copies of Windows AntiSpyware since it became available Jan. 6, 2005. Gates announced the company's plan for making the personal version of the final Windows AntiSpyware software available at no additional charge to licensed Windows customers as part of the Windows value proposition. The offering will offer full functionality to consumers, including the ability to detect and remove spyware, continual protection that helps guard against more than 50 ways that Web sites and programs can put spyware on a PC, and protection against the latest threats through the combined efforts of the SpyNet™ community and Microsoft researchers. For business customers, with more complex infrastructure support, management and deployment needs, Microsoft plans a managed anti-spyware solution that will be available as part of a paid solution.

"Customers are concerned about the risk malware poses to their personal information, and frustrated by its impact on the reliability and performance of their computers," Gates said. "We are responding by making security easier and more cost-effective for Windows customers, helping to protect millions of people who are vulnerable today."

Gates also discussed how Microsoft's security investments will help business customers better protect their systems from constantly evolving threats. Last month Microsoft began shipping a malicious software removal tool on a regular, predictable basis as part of the company's monthly update cycle. The tool, which detects and removes a range of the most prevalent threats including the Netsky, Korgo and Zafi viruses, was rolled out Jan. 11, 2005, and has been used on more than 133 million PCs worldwide.

Gates expanded on Microsoft's recently announced plans to acquire security vendor Sybari Software Inc., which provides solutions to help protect messaging and collaboration servers from malicious software. Gates noted that when the acquisition is closed, Microsoft intends to ship a Microsoft engine, based on the GeCAD technology acquired in 2003, as one of the multiple scanning engines supported by Sybari's flagship Antigen software. Gates further noted that the Microsoft engine would also be integrated into a broad consumer offering by the end of this year.

--

rest of it can be found here (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/feb05/02-15RSA05KeynotePR.asp).

this is a step in the right direction for microsoft. i highly doubt i'll switch from firefox back to internet explorer but it's great that they're listening to customers and whatnot. :yes: i also love that people with legit copies of windows will get the full version of microsoft anti-spyware for free. i thought they would charge for it no matter what but i'm glad i was wrong. :)

RedStarWarrior
15th February 2005, 01:22 PM
I think I will stick with Firefox, also. Of course, I will still download any updates MS releases. Sorry for not writing more, but until MS releases its next OS, I don't really care.

Jeff
15th February 2005, 01:50 PM
But does IE7 have better standards compliance? Doesn't matter anyway, since I too, am sticking with Firefox.

Good news that I'll be getting Anti-Spyware for free, hopefully I won't be needing Ad-Aware and Spybot anymore.

kainashi
15th February 2005, 01:56 PM
But does IE7 have better standards compliance? Doesn't matter anyway, since I too, am sticking with Firefox.

Good news that I'll be getting Anti-Spyware for free, hopefully I won't be needing Ad-Aware and Spybot anymore."There is actually a huge internal push to no longer create standards with-in IE but to be fully complaint with the IETF and other standards bodies."

guy that works at microsoft from another board said that. hope it is fixed, at least.

Chris
15th February 2005, 02:20 PM
If Microsoft are going to try to make IE standards-compliant, they'd better not **** it up like they did with IE5. Even to this day, I'm still writing invalid markup to please a last-generation browser...

I'm also unlikely to switch back to IE after doing without it for so many years, but unfortunately I think that the people who see Fx as a bandwagon will jump back to IE the second that a major newspaper/magazine says "oh wow IE7 awesome!". Ironically in the same way that every journalist in the world is now encouraging the use of Fx with its "advanced Internet digital online web technologies". In fact, journalists should just be banned from running articles on computing until/unless they actually understand the subject.

I hope this won't be the end for Fx because it shouldn't be at all.

Ice Rabbit
15th February 2005, 02:49 PM
Firefox is more of a revolution than a bandwagon IMO.

IE's most likely still going to be a shitty web browser.

I'm with Raven Adonis on this one. Until their next OS comes out, I don't really care.

Chris
15th February 2005, 03:03 PM
Firefox is more of a revolution than a bandwagon IMO.

I know that, and I agree with you. But to a bunch of journalists, it's nothing more than a bandwagon because it helps them to sell copies of their shitty magazines.

Powarun
15th February 2005, 05:16 PM
Firefox is starting a revolution, I read articles about it in several magazines already and my teacher is going to start teaching more about it in computer classes.

Animelee
15th February 2005, 11:05 PM
I'll update Internet Explorer of course, but I doubt I'll be using it. I think that no matter what Microsoft pulls, Firefox will always be the better browser because it's open sourced.