PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Championship 2

Mikey
17th February 2005, 10:48 PM
Well, Unreal Championship was my first Xbox Live game and I have enjoyed every Unreal game to date. I recently reserved Unreal Championship 2 after watching it progress since it's announcement. It was originally being made by atari, epic, and Microsoft game studios but Midway now controls the publishing. Anyways, I got the demo and I must say this game is astounding. The melee combat fits right in with the weapons and everything is completley balanced. You can play in fp for everything but melee which makes it still retain the Unreal look, but now you can also venture into 3rd person (my favorite) to give you more acrobatic moves and view.

The demo only allows you to play three characters, but you get a good feel for it.

Anubis- Well balanced. Adrenaline consists of defensive and healing moves.

Lauren- Speedy with low health. Adrenaline consists of evasive moves.

Sazlor- Slow with lots of health and power. Adrenaline consists of offensive moves

Well, there are going to be over 14 characters in the finished game and a lot are returning. Malcolm, Gorge, Arclite, Sapphire, and more. Lauren and Brock are returning, but they are deceased and brought back as necrises.

The weapons are well balanced and play perfect in both 1st and 3rd person. The rocket launcher is the same as always, except it can now fire 6 drunken rockets. The sniper rifle is really hard to aim with but packs a punch. The ripjack returns from UT99 and also packs a punch if it hits. The stinger is the updated mini gun and has a cool heat seeking secondary fire that can easily be deflected. (more guns but these were the only four in the demo)

Yep, you can deflect projectiles back at opponents with your melee weapon. It's not that easy to perfect, but it works well. My favorite thing to do though is to charge up the race pistols that you start with. When they are fully charged you can unleash them to freeze an opponent. Then, if you are fast enough, you can pull off a fatality like in Mortal Kombat! It's hard at first because the button combunations are hard to remember but I can pull them off like nothing now.

The only modes offered were DM, TDM, and CTF, but each one was cool. The maps were a little small, but that's only because the demo allowed only 2 on 2 matches when the final will hold 4 on 4. Wall jumping is easier now and you can even chimney jump.

Also, if you hadn't heard yet, Raiden from Mortal Kombat is in the game. At first I didn't like this idea, but I think he'll fit perfectly into the game. Also, the single player campaign actually HAS A STORY NOW. You unlock things by progressing in it to so it's worth playing.

All in all, this game is going to be the one to get come April 11th. If you don't want to reserve the game you could always get the demo in the Official Xbox Magazine March issue. This game may even be the Halo killer!!!

PNT510
17th February 2005, 11:02 PM
I think I am gonna have to play the demo to this game. I played the first and didn't really like it so I assumed this one would be more of them same, the demo has been lying on my desk all week because I got it for pre ordering Doom 3.

Razola
23rd February 2005, 10:54 AM
It works surprisingly well, though I feel that melee might be a wee bit inbalanced (really easy to deflect a rocket back at someone). Time will tell.

And Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is on the same demo disc, so it's probably the best demo disc OXM will have this year.