PDA

View Full Version : Help on my EV section.

Sceptile_Master
18th February 2005, 05:52 PM
Can you tell me if I have said anything wrong on my EV guide for website. I'll post it here in the post so it isn't linking. Also the training areas for fire and leaf need help on in the HP and defense departments.

Effort Values.

Well here is the section on effort values or EVs for short. Unlike IVs, Evs are what you make them. They are used for customizing your pokemons stats. Not like a cheat. It is just knowing these things that will aloow you to do so by fightning certain pokemon alot. For example you may notice if you fight lots of pokemon with a dominant attack stat you may notice your attack rising alot more than usual. It is all because of EV's. It isn't quite that simple though as I am about to explain. Not that it is hard either, just stick around and mabye you'll learn something.

Let me start by saying that pokemon gain EVs by defeating other pokemon. Only ones that give you experience give you EVs though so no battle tower or link battles I am afraid. Also a pokemon can have a total of 510 EVs. Up to 255 in each stat. Let's just say that you battle a whismur which gives you 1 EV in HP for each one fainted. After each 4 EV's in that stat when your pokemon next levels up it will gain an extra stat point more in that stat than normal. Then after 4 whismurs have been fainted the pokemon that did it will get an extra stat point in HP when it levels up. How nice.Remember though all results are rounded down and since 255 isn't a multiple of 4 using 252 will get you the same results. Which means you save 3 EV points. Say if you wanted to max out the EVs in speed and HP you would put 252 into each. You would then have 6 Effort points left to use from your original 510. Meaning you could add an extra one stat point to another stat. It may only be one but it's better than nothing. Those 2 free effort points that always remain are just spares to store any you get when you mucked up. For example if you were trying to EV train in speed, attack and spcl.def but you accidentally fainted a pokemon that gave you an EV point in spcl.atk then at least it wouldn't use up any useful effort points. Also just to save you doing any working outs maxing out EV's in a stat gives you an extra 63 stat points which is alot of difference. It is easy to work out the rest though, every 4 EV points you gain that is on extra stat point, so 8 EVs in that stat means an extra 2 stat points and 40 EV's in that stat would give you an extra 10 stat points and so on.

You may want to be knowing what pokemon give you what EVs. Well before I say anything please not that a pokemon gives you no more than 3 EVs in total and that is only usually for beating strong pokemon. Also pokemon gave you Evs in two or more different stats like Dusclops which gives you 1 defense and 2 spcl.def EVs. But even if the EVs are mixed like with Dusclops you never get more than 3 EVs from beating a pokemon in total still. Be aware as well that not all pokemon give you an EV in there highest stat, but most do. Also I will eventually list all the EV's different pokemon give you but that is a big project so for the moment I will give you the most widly used training spots for EVs so you will not need one anyways but I will add one eventually.

Training spots for Ruby and Sapphire.

HP: Resturf Tunnel against Whismurs. They are the only pokes who appear there and give you 1HP EV for each one beaten.
ATK: Fish with a super rod outside mossdeep for Sharpedos which give you 2 attack EVs for each one beaten.
DEF: Just dive down deep and beat Clamperls and beat them for 1 defense EV each.
SPD: Route 118 kicks ass for this. You can find these pokemon: Electrike (1 speed EV), Zigzagoon (1 speed EV), Wingull (1 speed EV), Manectrik (2 speed EV) and Linoones (2 speed EV). YOu may come acrossa Kecleon but this is a rare occurance and they should be ran from as they give you spcl.def.
SPCL.ATK: Route 113 against spindas who give you 1 spcl.atk EV. Run from the sandshrews and Skarmorys you may encounter.
SPCL.DEF: Just surf and beat Tentacools for 1 spcl.def EV. In the abandoned ship there is a patch of water where only Tentacools appear with the odd appearance of a Tentacruel (2 spcl.def EV) which actually helps. Go there and you wont be hassled by Wingulls.

Training spots for Fire and Leaf.

HP: Fight Caterpies for 1 HP EV each. I know its crap especially if you have leaf but I'll get a better one put up tommorrow probably okay, promise.
ATK: Go to Mt.Moon and go down a ladder so you are in a tunnel between two areas. I think it is all tunnels like that in Mt.moon but if it is only one then finding it shouldn't be too hard as it has a 100% appearance rate for Paris which give you 1 attack Ev each.
DEF: Best I can think of at this moment in time is facing geodudes somewhere. I will get a better suggestion tomorrow aswell.
SPD: Diglets cave owns all. 1 speed Ev for diglets and 2 for Dugtrios.
SPCL.ATK: Ghost tower in Lavendar. 1 spcl.atk for gastlys and 2 for haunters. Run from the rare occurance of cubones.
SPCL.DEF: Surf around and kick the crap out of tentacools for 1 spcl.def EV per jellyfish.

Okay so there is some training spots. If you are still not satisfied google it although they are really the only places you will need to go. And since I'm so kind I'll even add a google search at the bottom of the page :D.

Okay a couple of things you may be intrested in knowing. Right lets just say your are EV training your newly caught lv:7 pidgey in spcl.atk (don't get bad ideas) and you can't possibly beat those strong lv:16 gastlys at your current level. Well I'll tell you how, just use the EXP share. A pokemon holding the EXP share gets the EVs too as well as the experience. So get a strong pokemon to kick those gastlys in while your pidgey gets the spcl.atk EVs as well.

Also alot of you aren't exactly aware of what the macho brace does. It does half your speed when it is equiped to that pokemon (it doesn't give you any less speed EVs and the effects aren't permanent. Having a pokemon hold this makes it recieve twice as much EVs from beating a pokemon as normal. Don't get the idea though that if you put a macho brace on a pokemon and have an EXP share on another that the one with the EXP share on will get double EVs. It won't. The one with the macho brace on gains double Evs and the one with the EXP share on gets the normal amount of EV's. Also the pokerus disease gives you a double dosing of EVs when fighting. This can be combined with the macho brace for quadruple the EVs. Don't get to excited though as the pokerus is very, very rare.

Well now you know about EVs (I hope). Now go out and make your pokemons stats all groovy like. Until next time :lol:.

I have actually added the google search on the site though.

phaedrus
18th February 2005, 06:12 PM
just minor spelling errors such as "Resturf" instead of Rusturf, and "Manectrik" instead of Manectric.

seems ok.

i don't EV train my pokes usually though.

Poryhedron
18th February 2005, 07:23 PM
One mistake I notice: you say your pokémon will gain an extra stat point for every four EP gained. This is not strictly true. Every four EP in a stat gives you (1 x level%) extra points. So a level-20 pokémon with 100 Attack EP will only have 5 more points in Attack than if it had no Attack EP. However, it doesn't matter when you gain EP; raise that pokémon to level 100 without giving it any more Attack EP, and those 100 EP it had at level 20 will be worth their full value of 20 extra Attack points.

By the way, you're also making the classic mistake of saying "EVs" when you mean "EP". Every pokémon in the game has exactly 6 EVs at all times: an HP EV, an Attack EV, and so on. What those EVs are depends on the EP you have collected.

Ooh, just spotted a word you left out. This whole thing really needs proofreading for grammar, but there's one spot where you left out a word and it ends up giving the wrong impression:
Also pokemon gave you Evs in two or more different stats like Dusclops which gives you 1 defense and 2 spcl.def EVs. Also, some pokémon. Most only give EP in one stat.

Also, one minor quibble:
Also a pokemon can have a total of 510 EVs. Up to 255 in each stat. I know what you mean, but you're not writing this guide for me. You're writing it for people who don't understand EVs. The quote above does not make it clear that these are two separate caps; someone could look at that, notice that 255 times six does not equal 510, and instead of realizing that only two stats can be maxed at once, might instead think that you did your math wrong.

Number1ChanseyFan
18th February 2005, 09:23 PM
Your guide looks pretty good to me. The few things that could use rewording have been pointed out. For Defense EVs in FR/LG, Victory Road (especially the 1st and 3rd floors) works pretty good, with wild Geodude, Onix, Marowak, and in Leaf Green version, Sandslash.

For HP EVs in FR/LG, surfing on the water by the Ruin Valley will work very well, with 100% appearance rates for Wooper in Fire Red, and 100% appearance rates for Marill in Leaf Green.

Sceptile_Master
19th February 2005, 05:44 AM
One mistake I notice: you say your pokémon will gain an extra stat point for every four EP gained. This is not strictly true. Every four EP in a stat gives you (1 x level%) extra points. So a level-20 pokémon with 100 Attack EP will only have 5 more points in Attack than if it had no Attack EP. However, it doesn't matter when you gain EP; raise that pokémon to level 100 without giving it any more Attack EP, and those 100 EP it had at level 20 will be worth their full value of 20 extra Attack points.

By the way, you're also making the classic mistake of saying "EVs" when you mean "EP". Every pokémon in the game has exactly 6 EVs at all times: an HP EV, an Attack EV, and so on. What those EVs are depends on the EP you have collected.

Ooh, just spotted a word you left out. This whole thing really needs proofreading for grammar, but there's one spot where you left out a word and it ends up giving the wrong impression: Also, some pokémon. Most only give EP in one stat.

Also, one minor quibble: I know what you mean, but you're not writing this guide for me. You're writing it for people who don't understand EVs. The quote above does not make it clear that these are two separate caps; someone could look at that, notice that 255 times six does not equal 510, and instead of realizing that only two stats can be maxed at once, might instead think that you did your math wrong.

Okay I accidentally missed out some. Damn, do you think I should put an extra stat point at level 100 for clarity.

For HP EVs in FR/LG, surfing on the water by the Ruin Valley will work very well, with 100% appearance rates for Wooper in Fire Red, and 100% appearance rates for Marill in Leaf Green.

Thanks, that looks good.