PDA

View Full Version : Hoen... Another Johto?

Nikku-San
1st March 2003, 05:50 PM
So far, AG has been great, very few fillers, mostly good ones... So, do you think it will slowly degrade into Johto-ish crap by mid-season or sooner? I sure as heck hope not, because the new writers rock. Wait, aren't they the really old writers?

Hanada Tattsu
1st March 2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Advanced Generation has been good. The animation is super, the fillers are not boring, and they're just good. Battles are well choreographed, everything we would want Pokemon to be.

No, I think the writers got their head out of the clouds and saw that fans were lost because of Johto, so I think for Houen, they'll make fewer and better fillers.

Also, the writers are the same, except some left and some came.

GoldenDragonite
1st March 2003, 07:06 PM
Hopefully it won't be another Johto. From what I have heard, the filler episodes arn't that bad. I've seen the "Goodbye Team Rocket, fury swipes" or whatever its called, and the animation actually looks like movie animation

Animelee
1st March 2003, 08:10 PM
I've seen all of the AG episodes, 1 - 13, and they're really good. I should be getting AG14 and the first two AG specials very soon. Anyways, I would like to say that there are HARDLY any fillers. Let's take a look, shall we?:

AG1 - Got to Hoenn, met May, etc... (From the game)

AG2 - Team Magma, Team Rocket got a new objective.

AG3 - Got to Petalburg City, met family, added Masato, etc... (From the game)

AG4 - Brock's back. Ash got Taillow. Petalburg Woods are from the game.

AG5 - May's first battle.

AG6 - Team Rocket had to let go of Arbok and Weezing. James got Cacnea. Also, there was character development.

AG7 - Ash got Treecko.

AG8 - Jesse got Seviper, character development for Treecko.

AG9 - There's a man who is a Shroomish buff in Ruby and Sapphire.

AG10 - Unofficial gym battle. It could be classified as a gym battle, and not be filler, or it could be filler because it's not from the game. You decide here.

AG11 - Character development for Masato.

AG12 - The flower shop and those berries are from the game. Also, Brock gets Lotad.

AG13 - The Pokemon Contest is from the game. Also, Ash trains Pikachu to learn Iron Tail, and May enters the Pokemon Contest, and then realizes that she wants a Beautifly, leading to her catching a Wurmple in the next episode.

Well, there you go, my friends. AG10 could be classified as a filler, but it's up to you.

Later.

Anti-R*cketship
1st March 2003, 10:44 PM
Wait, Haruka's English name has been confirmed as "May"? Well, this is going to lead to confusion, since May was the name of Gary's sister in the Manga. Where did you hear this, Animelee?

Animelee
1st March 2003, 11:31 PM
In the R/S games, if you choose the male character, your rival is automatically a female. Her name is May.

If you choose the female character, then the rival is male, and his name is Brandon.

So in RS, instead of Haruka and Yuuki, we have May and Brandon. I'm sure it may be changed for the anime, but for now, I'll call her May..^^

Nikku-San
2nd March 2003, 06:57 PM
I still think her name should be Kim. Probably because of that Kimi stuff, but whatever. The only problem is Kim and May are both one syllable names, but Haruka is three. Then again, Satoshi was changed to Ash... I honestly prefer Ash. ^^

Hanada Tattsu
2nd March 2003, 07:31 PM
Also, even in the new titles, it's evident that Advanced Generation is pretty much filler free.

Take a look;

Kanazumi Gym! Nozupasu's Secret Weapon!

Obviously a gym battle.

Debon Corporation! The Shadow of Team Aqua!

From the game. The introduction of Team Aqua.

Old Man-Hagi and Piiko-Chan the Kyanome!

From the game. Plus, the first step in the next gym battle.

Also, I hope Haruka's name does become Kimi. Kimi is American enough for the dubbers, and I see nothing wrong with it.

Pokemon Neo
2nd March 2003, 07:40 PM
The reason why Advance Generation looks so good is because the series is finally utilizing digital animation.I think Pokemon was actually one of the last few animes that still used cels.(ex: The Pokemon series- cel animation.The Pokemon openings/endings,Mewtwo Returns,The Raikou Special- digital animation.) I think the transition from cel to digital was a big reason why they added "Advance Generation" to the title.As far as I know,Japan didn't have "Johto Journeys","Johto League Champions",and "Master Quest".It was just known as Pokemon(Pocket Monsters) from beginning to end.The producers might have thought it'd be a little odd if Pokemon went digital all of a sudden.So they probably decided to end the previous series,and start AG.I heard that once a show changes/alters it's title in Japan,it's considered a brand new series.

I've also heard that digital animation uses less time and resources.So potentially,that could mean better choreographed battles and better stories.And from what I've gathered on this thread,it sure looks that way.Let's just hope it doesn't turn into another Johto.(the first half anyway)

Nikku-San
2nd March 2003, 08:21 PM
One thing I really hope changes is the attacks. I don't like seeing a flash of white. I want to see them hit each other.

Animelee
2nd March 2003, 10:55 PM
Actually, you should be happy, Kittymon. In the battles, you see a lot of hitting and such, now. But sometimes, for comedic reasons, they still put the screen full o' stars if someone is bonked on the head, or something.

But, in the episode where the Pokemon poacher was going to shoot Jesse and James, he kicked them when they were down, and it was very serious. Of course you never saw the actual contact, but you heard the thump and them screaming in pain. I'll make a small video clip of that scene if anyone wants me to.

Light_Togetic
3rd March 2003, 10:17 AM
I think they started the digital animation a little before Advance Generation, somewhere around the begining of the Silver Convention. But, since Advance is the season that would be completely used with digital stuff, they could have named it for that reason. But I personally think the reason they named it Advance, was because Ru/Sa are on the Game Boy Advance. Some people will even refer to those games as "Pokemon Advance".

Serebii of SPP
3rd March 2003, 03:26 PM
Haruka's name being May is only in one game, not sure which but in the other one it is different...not sure what it is

But you shouldnt assume that its her dub name either since she is a namable character

Oddish17
3rd March 2003, 03:40 PM
May does make some sense as Haruka's name. Haru means spring, and May is clearly a spring month(in the US). It makes sense to me at least :)

Nikku-San
3rd March 2003, 05:37 PM
Shigeru, I would like to see that clip. ^^

Hanada Tattsu
3rd March 2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I saw the Silver Convention eppies a while back, and some select stuff seemed to be in digital animation, as it looked like real good movie animation.

Also, May is a namable character, as Serebii said. People were insisting that her name was Terra before...

Also, what if they write a manga for Advance, and they use May. Since Gary's sister May was in the manga, wouldn't it get fans confused?

Animelee
4th March 2003, 01:29 PM
Yeah, when you choose the female character, she's nameable, because she's your character, but say you choose the male (Brandon), then your rival is automatically the female. In this game, you can't name your rival, she actually has her own name, and it's May.

Since the manga and the anime are totally different, I could see her name as May. Remember, in Pokemon Adventures, Ash's name is Red, but it's basically the same character, they just look different a bit.

Anyways, Kittymon, I'll make that clip later, and post it here.

Serebii of SPP
4th March 2003, 01:31 PM
It is best not to guess her name and treat it as fact

Also, Haruka DID not enter the contest...i thought you said you saw that ep

Animelee
5th March 2003, 04:56 PM
But she DID help the girl out with her Beautifly, IN THE CONTEST, by throwing plates for it to break (I forgot if it's break, or brake, lol).

And another thing, Serebii. On GameFAQ's, you said that PokeMasters isn't a good site, and the information it has is nothing compared to your site. I KNOW you said that, and I can go a locate the topic if anyone wants proof. I'm just wondering why you're being such a hypocrite and posting at these boards after insulting PokeMasters...:rolleyes:

And here's proof that I have the episode, just incase you think I am lying:
http://animedna.homestead.com/files/Shot0.jpg

Serebii of SPP
5th March 2003, 05:14 PM
That does not mean she entered the contest though which is what you said in your post

And I never said TPM wasnt a good site, it is a good site and i like it, I just feel its content isnt up to the standard it used to be

Animelee
5th March 2003, 05:18 PM
Ah, I guess I forgot to say she helped, not entered, NM.

Okay, I thought you were dissing PokeMasters, NM.

Hanada Tattsu
5th March 2003, 05:40 PM
Anyway, let's get back on topic here.

Houen is proving itself that they're trying to stay away from fillers. As Shigeru pointed out, there seems to be at least 2 fillers so far in Houen. And, they're already enroute to the second gym, as helping Hagi get his Wingull back is the main step in getting to the next city.

Animelee
5th March 2003, 05:51 PM
Yeah, basically, episodes 10 and 11 could be considered fillers, but since 10 is a gym, and 11 contains potential character development, and Haruka finding out and getting excited about Combusken (it could be a sign), it's hard to decide. I'll just say they're not fillers! ^^

Serebii of SPP
6th March 2003, 04:55 AM
I would hardly say she got excited about Combusken...she looked rather dissappointed though

Her view of Torchic's evo though has given my nightmares O_O

I did a screenshot of it for those who wish to see:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Animelee
6th March 2003, 07:51 AM
Disappointed? Are you serious?

This is what she saw in the Pokedex:

Animelee
6th March 2003, 07:56 AM
And this was her "disappointed" reaction:

Hanada Tattsu
6th March 2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the pics Serebii and Shigeru!

Haruka's thinking of Torchic's evolution is scary. I have never seen such a tall and muscular Pokemon (well, maybe Machamp) but I can't believe she would think that...

Haruka should evolve Torchic into Combusken. It is kind of cute-factorish, but it's strong at the same time. We'll have to wait a while, as Torchic has gotten hardly any experience over the past 16 Advance episodes...

Light_Togetic
6th March 2003, 01:12 PM
Okay, that's the funniest thing I've seen Haruka do yet! Although, anyone who thinks up something like that muscular Torchic is touched in the head.;) No, I think that she would probably like her Torchic to evolve, I mean, it's still kinda cute, while it's powerful looking enough to, I guess, satisfy the strong image she had in her head of what Combusken looked like.

Kadabra790
8th March 2003, 03:05 PM
Woah. It's a Torchic body-builder. That's very disturbing.

I'd say that Haruka looks happy to find out her Torchic's evo. I'd be, too.

Animelee
17th March 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Serebii of SPP
Haruka's name being May is only in one game, not sure which but in the other one it is different...not sure what it is

But you shouldnt assume that its her dub name either since she is a namable character

*Gloats* :D :P

Serebii of SPP
17th March 2003, 12:57 PM
Lucky Guess

It still had other options and it was not very likely

Oh...and well done for spamming *claps sarcastically*

Nikku-San
17th March 2003, 03:46 PM
Maybe she's just not very imaginative.... I mean it's a Torchic with muscles. But I don't think she was being perverted.

Animelee
17th March 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Serebii of SPP
Lucky Guess!1111!1oenoeneonenneoene!1!

Oh...and well done! *claps*

Animelee is the smartest person in the world! I can't believe how wrong I was!

It's not really a lucky guess when you e-mail Nintendo, asking them the name of the female in the RS games, and then getting a response telling you to watch the adventures of Ash, Pikachu, Team Rocket, and MAY in the new Pokemon Advance series... :P

Thanks for the compliment! 8)

Edit: May, not Mya.

Shining Arcanine
19th March 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Also, even in the new titles, it's evident that Advanced Generation is pretty much filler free.

Take a look;

Kanazumi Gym! Nozupasu's Secret Weapon!

Obviously a gym battle.

Debon Corporation! The Shadow of Team Aqua!

From the game. The introduction of Team Aqua.

Old Man-Hagi and Piiko-Chan the Kyanome!

From the game. Plus, the first step in the next gym battle.

Also, I hope Haruka's name does become Kimi. Kimi is American enough for the dubbers, and I see nothing wrong with it.

The first two translated are really:

Episode 16: Rustboro Gym! Nosepass's Secret Weapon!
Episode 17: Devon Corporation! Shadow of Team Aqua!

I don't know the translation for Episode 18 yet. -_-

Ash and Pikachu
23rd March 2003, 06:58 PM
Haruka's American/English name is going to be May in the amime. They had a sneak peek on Kids WB last Saturday. They said her name was May.

The Muffin Man
23rd March 2003, 10:22 PM
XD THat's one hot bird!! My gf Jessie said(quote) "That's a sexy sexy bird!"