PDA

View Full Version : PC -- StarCraft

Neoleonightz
5th March 2005, 07:45 PM
is it me or am i the only one that still plays starcraft around here? the game is about 7-8 years old..and over 100000 users are on it constantly. games very addicting wouldnt you say?

phaedrus
5th March 2005, 07:49 PM
i plan in reinstalling sometime in the future but with a huge project on my hands not for awhile

Neoleonightz
5th March 2005, 07:57 PM
hehe..patch 1.12 just recently came out. =)

phaedrus
5th March 2005, 08:13 PM
already? hm i must have missed a lot. do they still have those Defense games rampant?

Charizard04621
5th March 2005, 09:11 PM
Lol, I play Brood War on Battle.net almost daily... UMS games get really annoying and pointless. What kinds of maps do you play? I'm better at fastest but I've dabbled in LT in the past.

The Muffin Man
5th March 2005, 09:27 PM
Lol, I play Brood War on Battle.net almost daily... UMS games get really annoying and pointless. What kinds of maps do you play? I'm better at fastest but I've dabbled in LT in the past.

What race do you play, Karin?

Me, I love the Terran. Zerglins are on the bottom of the chain unless you mass and rush them(And even then, a couple of loaded bunkers keeps the Terran safe), but Marines are by far the best all-around unit the Terran have. Sure, the Goliaths do more damage to flying enemies but they cost alot. Firebats damage even allies in their path and can't hit air, Wraiths have the obvious "Holy crap, Turrets" problem. Marines are always a quick, effective way to keep people out of your base. Set up a team of Marines, stim them all up, and flush your enemies out.

Now I'm not saying mass Marines is a great strategy, but Marines can hold your enemies off till you tech up to some Wraiths, a battle cruiser, and goliaths.

Musourenka
5th March 2005, 10:23 PM
I haven't played Starcraft in a long time and I've never played it online (never have been confident in my RTS abilities). Heck, I've never beaten the Broodwar missions either (Got to Zerg 8.... Gahhhhh!).

But anyway, I love the Terran most of all, and the Zerg the least. I'm very conservative and I can't pull off a rush with Zerglings at all. Give me my Bunkered Marines, Seige Tanks, and Range-Enhanced Goliaths.

Heck, I'd love to do an SCV rush some day.

MetalScyther
6th March 2005, 12:06 AM
I still play it. I just really suck now. My account was 70-5 a year ago on lt/bgh, now my account is like 80-80 because I have been trying to pick it up in the past few days. I lose like everytime.

I like terrain the best. Protoss is my most effective, but they aren't interesting. I totally suck at zerg.

I usually get rines/tanks/medics really early on, than I move onto goliaths and tanks and drop and craft stuff like that.

Lezta
6th March 2005, 03:03 AM
When I played it I was alwayd a Terran man. *shrugs* It didn't hold my attention for that long though. :\

(C&C 4 LYF! Except Generals. Fuck off, I want my building taskbar back!)

Charizard04621
6th March 2005, 01:58 PM
Zerg :P Zergling micro is really killer vs. marines. If you flank, you win most of the time, unless you're grossly outnumbered or were stupid and forgot to upgrade speed or something. That's LT, though... I play fastest more. I love hydralisks :) Lurkers are fun, too. I like seeing all that blood on the floor when a bunch of mms disappear from the map. :P

The Muffin Man
6th March 2005, 03:12 PM
Zerg :P Zergling micro is really killer vs. marines. If you flank, you win most of the time, unless you're grossly outnumbered or were stupid and forgot to upgrade speed or something. That's LT, though... I play fastest more. I love hydralisks :) Lurkers are fun, too. I like seeing all that blood on the floor when a bunch of mms disappear from the map. :P

Zerglings are a nice distraction. They destroy Siege Tanks(especially when the tanks are in groups, since they can't hit the Zergling too hard and end up blasting their friend), but unless your opponent is really slow/crappy the Zerglins are only an early-game rush.

PNT510
6th March 2005, 06:11 PM
I think zerglings have alot more use than just early game, they're great at causing a distraction and keeping the presure on a wounded group of units.

Charizard04621
6th March 2005, 06:23 PM
Tanks destroy zerglings once there's enough... They don't even have to unsiege if they've got marines as protection. ZvT is really tough. A really annoying Zerg strat is mutalisk harrass... If you do it well enough, they won't be able to make valks or wraiths to chase you away. It'll buy you time to mass and possibly cover for a few drops, too. Like I said, though, LT is a lot harder.

The Muffin Man
6th March 2005, 08:09 PM
Tanks destroy zerglings once there's enough... They don't even have to unsiege if they've got marines as protection. ZvT is really tough. A really annoying Zerg strat is mutalisk harrass... If you do it well enough, they won't be able to make valks or wraiths to chase you away. It'll buy you time to mass and possibly cover for a few drops, too. Like I said, though, LT is a lot harder.

Pardon me for asking, I've been out of the loop for a while but what's LT?

Anyway, Mutes are alright, but any good Terran player should have Turrets up quickly just in case they try and have the overlord drop the zerglings in.

Craig
6th March 2005, 08:30 PM
Zerg :P

Hell yes!

Zerg rule.

The Hydralisk is probably the best all around soldier unit in the game, imo.

Zerglings stand no chance against siege tanks. Unless you have godly micro, because for some reason things like lings like to go single file, they get absoloutely destroyed.

I liked being an asshole with Guardians, with various mobile anti-air crap to go with them. It ruled.

It especially ruled when on Big Game Hunters, Terrans would wall themselves in their base, and you'd just pick apart their defenses and they'd be like "okay what do I do cause nothing can get close enough because my freaking supply depots are blocking"

:)

The Muffin Man
6th March 2005, 08:46 PM
Hell yes!

Zerg rule.

The Hydralisk is probably the best all around soldier unit in the game, imo.

Zerglings stand no chance against siege tanks. Unless you have godly micro, because for some reason things like lings like to go single file, they get absoloutely destroyed.

I liked being an asshole with Guardians, with various mobile anti-air crap to go with them. It ruled.

It especially ruled when on Big Game Hunters, Terrans would wall themselves in their base, and you'd just pick apart their defenses and they'd be like "okay what do I do cause nothing can get close enough because my freaking supply depots are blocking"

:)

Any Terran player who gets TRAPPED by their own supply depots shouldn't be counted. Why, you ask?

Wraiths, Valks, Cruisers, and Dropships. On top of that, rip 'em down, send through your units, and go on your way.

MetalScyther
7th March 2005, 05:44 PM
LT = lost temple

Zerglings are great for siege tanks, what are you talking about? You just have to send in more than 5 of them. Zergling build time is ridiculously low, they require no vespene gas, and are very cheap. Siege tanks are a lot more expensive, require more unit space, and have a bigger build time.

However, zerglings are only useful when it's just tanks in siege mode. If the dude is smart enough to put mms in front, or goliaths, than you're going to need a little more than zerglings to overcome that mess.

But, if you ever see a terran player stupid enough to siege his tanks and not protect them, come in with zealots or zerglings, and kiss them goodbye.

Charizard04621
9th March 2005, 01:24 PM
Zerglings in LT are terrible against siege tanks in the base unless you have a way to drop them on the tanks or something. They're fine if you have room to flank, though. If it's out in the open (ie: the tanks can be approached from more than one side) your zerglings should be all right. You need the mutaling combo if you're to successfully beat off tanks and mms using zerglings. I prefer hydralurk because I like watching marines vanish in pools of blood :P That, and firebats annoy the hell out of me. I'm in no mood to attack them with zerglings and watch each and every one of them die within two seconds.

Guardians are easily destroyed by Science Vessels, which are the bane of my existence. I hate them. Even in fastest, those things are especially nasty. Irradiate and EMP Shockwave are the worst things the programmers could have given the terran against the zerg. How do you rape late terran without being able to cast swarm? -_-

Any terran player who does not protect his tanks against the zerg cannot be considered a terran player. Against the protoss it's all right; you can micro mass tanks much more easily (siege some and leave the rest unsieged for zealots).

Neoleonightz
10th March 2005, 11:00 AM
i am a very skilled WGT(wgtour) / PGT(pgtour) and ex-NGI(neogamei) maps player. theyre all limited money, including lost temple. im a terran player and if anyone wish to challenge me on a friendly game on lost temple or any limited money map give me a pm and ill give you a really gg =)

MetalScyther
10th March 2005, 07:46 PM
Amen. I really need to get off BGH and start playing real starcraft. I agree that unlimited money maps are sucky.

Fastest Possible Map Ever is the worst thing that has ever happened to starcraft.

Charizard04621
10th March 2005, 08:16 PM
I disagree. While LT and other non-money maps are fun and a true test of skill, I sure as hell don't want to play non-money for hours on end. My brain would fry from the effort; it just takes too much out of me. FPM helps me relax. :P

Razola
10th March 2005, 11:54 PM
I fondly remember weekends of matches in BGH, but Fastest Possible Map sounds like something with shit for resources at your starting point and no expansion places whatsoever.

Neoleonightz
11th March 2005, 07:36 AM
most limited money players tend to play BGH for fun because it isn't full money and it isnt full non money -_- its half-half with 20k per patch. T_T i still prefer The Hunters 3v3 games over 3v3 BGH games.

MetalScyther
11th March 2005, 11:07 PM
A non-gay map actually takes skill. You have to expand. Budget your resources. You don't get unlimited vespene gas, so you can't whore certain units. Non-gay maps are waaaay better.

[Edit] BGH is a money map..lots of resources, and you never run out. 3 vespene gas areas per lane. Seems money enough to me.

phaedrus
11th March 2005, 11:39 PM
i just re-installed today, i'm on east, hvymetaldrummer is my screen.

and i do suck right now due to getting back into the game.

i am a hydralisk guy myself but oh well 8) training on lt haha.

Charizard04621
12th March 2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah, BGH is a money map. I hate it. I never did well at it. I keep trying to play it like I do LT, but it never works. Some gay terran comes with mass mms and I don't ever have space for enough sunkens or hatcheries before they come.

Either go full-blown FPM if you want to play with money, or go hardcore non-money, IMO. I'm not a very serious player so I stick more to FPM myself, but LT is really fun and rewarding when you do well once in a while. I like the micro part of it - my macro tends to suffer in low money because I get all caught up in micro. :P Someone should play me in a micro UMS. I'm not really that great at it, but it's sooooo fun.

Neoleonightz
12th March 2005, 06:50 PM
hehe, balancing micro and macro in non money takes effort and skill with luck and timing of course. but for the relaxed player you should stick with fpm and other "cheesey" mass and attack maps. ^.^;

im west aka BBS_StronG

The Muffin Man
12th March 2005, 09:45 PM
So anyone still play NR games? I used to, but after Warcraft 3 it occured to me - We BOTH get 15, 20, 30 or however many minutes to build up a force. If they're Zerg, that's way too long.

Charizard04621
13th March 2005, 08:23 AM
West huh? I play on east... Eternal[cK] if anybody wants to contact me. I do like LT, though, and I used to be pretty decent at it. If I pick it up again, I'll be back into LT mode in a few days. :) The people I play with aren't hardcore non-money fans, though, so I stopped LT for a bit - I micro in FPM but my macro doesn't suffer as much as when I used to play LT, too. I love it when you kill a terran tank/mm army with hydralisks and lurkers :P It's soooo fun. You run up to them and suddenly their units disappear, and they scream, wtf?????? Yeah. It's worth it.

TMM - I played nr for a few weeks when I first started, but I don't do that anymore. (I'm assuming you mean nr on money maps; I haven't heard of nr on LT or other real maps.) If you're talking about money maps, I max with Zerg at 9:10 with 1-1-1 ground ups and a Hive. The good Protoss that I know tend to max at 7:15 or so with 1-1-1 ups, obs, and storm. Terran I'm not sure, since they're a rare race to be good at. I'd say in the 9 min? range also.

Plus, rushing is really a way to slow the opponent down, not really kill them. If they lose to a rush, they either messed up big time or just aren't very good. Nobody should lose to a protoss rush (unless you're terran and you're playing xG.UniT and he dragoon rushes and micros all your marines while he masses up some more and kills you after harrassing for a few minutes :P), though there would be an excuse for the hydra rush I used last year, maybe.

Anyway, I got tired of no rush because they never end unless your opponent sucks... If you give a Zerg 10 minutes, it's going to have defilers, and if the enemy is a Zerg as well, you're looking at swarm wars. >_<

Razola
13th March 2005, 11:07 AM
I played Brood War for the first time in years, and got my ass handed to me by the EASY computer.

Too much War3 and DoW...

MetalScyther
13th March 2005, 09:14 PM
Any of you guys wanna meet up and stomp other people, or play against eachother?

My USEast name is Cor[S]air, I'd be happy to play. I still suck though, as I only have about 10 games under my belt after a huge hiatus.

What times is anyone available to play at? I can play most nights(besides friday and saturday night) after 8EST till about 11-12EST. Any takers?

Neoleonightz
14th March 2005, 03:05 PM
anyone thats truly skilled, or believe they are on NON money maps. meaning 1v1 LostTemple/other limited money maps. im WEST aka Re_mem_beR

Perfect Chaos
24th March 2005, 10:31 AM
Meh, I just recently got into SC (no hiatus, never liked computer games in the first place, but that's changed now that I'm into SC). I'm still a below average player, but anyone up for a game, I'm PerfectKaos, U.S. East

Neoleonightz
26th March 2005, 04:46 PM
below average player in which circumstances? money or non money maps? big difference in skill between both types of maps. =)

Perfect Chaos
26th March 2005, 10:34 PM
below average player in which circumstances? money or non money maps? big difference in skill between both types of maps. =)

lol, actually, I'd say in all aspects of the game. I really only know how to play with the Terran, and I've only been playing the game for about three weeks to a month actually. Me and my friends play in school most of the time, especially during our History class and they always kick my ass.

-$∑@π

MetalScyther
28th March 2005, 09:38 PM
I'm actually becoming DECENT at LT!

I only lose about 50% of my games now at LT, as opposed to before losing about 90% of the time.

homeofmew
8th April 2005, 05:31 PM
I play Starcraft and Brood War.

Neoleonightz
20th April 2005, 08:49 AM
MetalScyther maybe when you arent busy, msg me ZZangDreamArt @USWEST for a little fun game =)