PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Discussion : Daatingu , The WOODY WARRIOR !

IronMike
1st March 2003, 11:46 PM
Figured I'd take a page from Stickachu's book and make one of these for a Pokemon I will most certainly have on my team....

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs024.png

Daatingu - Grass/Dark

HP 90 AT 100 DF 60 SP 80 SA 90 SD 60
When Trained to 100 ( Max ) : HP 384 AT 328 DF 240 SP 284 SA 306 SD 240

Not very sure on the weaknesses ( but thats why I made this thread so I could get help ! :) ) Think they are Flying , Fighting , and Fire. There is probably some more....

Characteristics - "Chlorophyl" Speed doubles when it's sunny. "Early rising" Awakens early from SLEEP condition.

Effort Points - Attack 3

MOVES ( he can't learn any moves once you evolve him , so these are from cocohana )

Lv 1 - Pound
Lv 3 - Harden
Lv 7 - Growth
Lv 13 - Nature Power
Lv 19 - Cat Trap
Lv 25 - Ichamon
Lv 31 - Faint Attack
Lv 37 - Razor Wind
Lv 43 - Swagger
Lv 48 - Supernatural Power

TMs/HMs

Toxic
Seed Machine Gun
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Hyper Beam
Protect
Giga Drain
Frustraition
Solarbeam
Return
Dig
Shadow Ball
Kawarereri
Double Team
Rock Tomb
Ichamon
Bravado
Secret Power
Rest
Attract
Theif
Flash
Cut
Rock Smash
Strength

I'm clueless on a moveset for him seeing how I can't locate the Breedable moves for Daatingu/Cocohana , and don't know all of the items that will be good for him to hold , but I'll at least try....

Daatingu @ ????
Characteristic : Chlorophyl
Personality - ????

Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Rock Tomb
Supernatural Power

This covers all the weaknesses ( that I am aware of ) , Rock Tomb for Flying/Fire, and SP for Fighting. Use Sunny Day, speed up , and start launching Solarbeams.

I think I could figure out some much better movesets once I know all the items and Breeding moves ( keyword THINK I can lol ) Maybe something with Double Team , Leech Seed , Faint Attack , Sunny Day , or Toxic. I know you guys can figure out something to work well with him.

Hopefully Stickachu will come in here an put in his two cents. 8)

stickachu
2nd March 2003, 01:04 AM
You want my two cents? You can't handle my two cents! Bwahahaha... errr... okay

breeding moves:
leech seed
amnesia
quick attack
razor wind
take down
false swipe

Note: he can't learn leech seed AND amnesia (at least not that I know of)

okay, i'll start with your moveset...

Daatingu @ ????
Personality - ????

Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Rock Tomb
Supernatural Power

hmmm... you'll want synthesis if you have sunny day (taneboh learns it at level 21). Rock tomb sucks, even from daatingu's impressive attack. I like explosion in its place (level 43 taneboh). I GUESS that supernatural power could work (daatingu IS more than fast enough when sunny day is in effect that the flinch could work) but a STABed dark move like faint attack might be better. but can you get a daatingu with faint attack and explosion.... I'm not sure, so i guess we'll stick with supernatural power. BUT we CAN learn faint attack and synthesis. :) anyway, the new moveset looks like this...

trait: chlorophyl
@ leftovers i guess

sunny day
solarbeam
synthesis
faint attack

Of course, this set doesn't take advantage of daatingu's high attack rating. so instead of faint attack, let's add explosion

sunny day
solarbeam
synthesis
explosion

With the speed boost, you'll be able to outrun those pesky fire types... unfortunately, the best way to deal with them is to go BOOM! You lose out on a daatingu, but they lose out on a fire type.
the problem here is, with synthesis, this guy could potentially live a while. Unfortunately, solarbeam could run out of PP before we're ready to explode. I'd hate for that to happen... hmmm... I want to keep sunny day for now so we can use chlorophyl to boost the already decent speed... plus, we can add beak slash to take out those darn bugs that can so easily destroy daatengu...

sunny day
solarbeam
synthesis
beak slash

this set takes away the explosion ( :( ) but adds beak slash. It's nice to have another attacking move, especially one that takes advantage of daatingu's attack. Of course, there are a lot more possiblilties just around the corner...

trait: early rising

@ leftovers
rest
shadow ball
return
giga drain

This set uses the early rising to help rest. Then I just added strong attacks and a STABbed move (the fact that it restores HP is a big bonus). Daatingu's special attack is none too shabby so giga drain can help put the hurt on your opponent.

rest
amnesia
faint attack/ supernatural power
return/ shadowball/ beak slash / combo

This set uses amnesia to try and live a long time. Early rising rest will help with that too. The attacks used aren't important, just as long as they aren't rock tomb/ rock smash/ hyper beam or something like that.

Daatingu learns leech seed as a breeding move, but I usually prefer to give that to pokemon with more staying power... I guess with early rising resting though, daatingu can have that needed lastability.

@leftovers
leech seed
rest
faint attack
another attack/amnesia

This daatingu could potentially become a real nuisance to your opponent. Faint attack was chosen as no types are immune to it, and it has high PP. You could use amnesia to make daatingu even harder to take down, or just add another attack for more damage causing capability. Explosion is also an option. When you think your daatingu won't be able to last much longer (example: your opponent just switched to a heracross), explode and try to take them with you.
there's also some more fun stuff you can do...

@ leftovers or speed berry
growth
rest
faint attack
supernatural power

this daatingu uses growth as much as he can first. the speed berry would be to help him rest once his health is low, before the enemy can KO him. Then just attack with special attacks. Daatingu's special attack was good before growth; after growth, you should be pretty formidable.

There you have it. I don't really have too much experience with this guy as he's ruby exclusive and i got sapphire (for runpappa) but he looks like he could be fun. However, I still prefer nokutasu for my grass/dark purposes ;)

IronMike
2nd March 2003, 02:23 AM
Hmm now that I have all the info at my disposal ( thank you Stickachu ) I have some ideas........

Daatingu@Leftovers

Sunny Day , for the Speed Boost
Giga Drain , to regain life , gets boosted by the sunny day , STAB
Return , to do damage off of his high attack
Faint Attack , a good dark attack with STAB

Nothing really special , just speed up and hit things depending on what type they are. Use Giga Drain when low on life.....

sunny day , solarbeam, synthesis , explosion

:yes: Yeah I like this one , heal and fight until you have to go out in a blaze of glory.

Triple T
2nd March 2003, 05:50 AM
-Chloropyhll
@Miracle Berry
Sunny Day
Explosion
Solarbeam
Shadow Ball/Supernatural Power
IMO Synthesis+Explosion is redundant. Simplest formula ever, boost speed, attack and Explode.

-Early Rising
@Prejudice Band
Amnesia
Growth
Rest
Faint Attack
Only Dark and Steel are resistant to Faint Attack, plus it has good PP. Prejudice Band boosts Faint Attack's power nicely.

Madelyn151
2nd March 2003, 08:14 AM
taneboo (leedot???) learns totally different attacks than conohana. who should SO be grass/fighting.

explosion off a +attack personality? gravy. but amnesia + leech seed could cause him to be annoying... i'd use amnesia or explosion/leech seed/giga drain/shadow ball. yeah.

Deck Knight
2nd March 2003, 10:09 AM
So far as the weakness covering set, I have one think to say... *cough Heracross cough*. SP may be alright, but one Megahorn and Daatingu is history. Or a Tekkanin with Silver Wind.

Now, to make this useful, lets add in seedots moves.

Bide
Harden
Growth
Nature Power
Synthesis
Sunny Day
Explosion

Breeding:
Leech Seed
Amnesia
Quick Attack
Razor Wind
Take Down
False Swipe

IronMike
2nd March 2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Deck Knight
So far as the weakness covering set, I have one think to say... *cough Heracross cough*. SP may be alright, but one Megahorn and Daatingu is history. Or a Tekkanin with Silver Wind.

Yeah I forgot about Heracross , even though he's like my favorite Pokemon. He's not Daatingus best friend.......

So his weaknesses are Fighting , Fire , Flying , Bug , and

I like the idea of making him a speed freak , attack , then when somethings about to go wrong , EXPLODE.

-Chloropyhll
@??? ( maybe something that boasts Attack , or Grass moves...)
Sunny Day , speed up , solarbeam power up.
Solarbeam , strong attack , 1 turn/SD , STAB
Return , works with his high attack , for anytype not weak to SB
Explosion , Heracross/fire type comes in , KABOOOM

Thats what I will probably go with , he'll fit my team well.

Dark_rhyhorn
2nd March 2003, 12:39 PM
That detengu the the first elite has is real pian and his move MIGHT be useful lets see if i recall.

Detengu

cat trap
double team
super natual power
swaggler

Well maybe not

Hmmm
let's modifey that

Detengu / Leftovers
Double team
super natual power
swaggler
Faint Attack

This is good set. For some reason when I fought this poke he would be pain to kill. I just could attck normaly. Once he killed my entire team.

ThePhenom
2nd March 2003, 12:46 PM
Anyone know a possible english name for him?

Aninymouse
2nd March 2003, 03:56 PM
Datingu... i like him. he's not a 1337 jerk like nokutasu, but he is dangerous.

ability: early rising
@speed chip/berry
Leech Seed
Rest
Secret Power
Faint Attack

ok, you all should know by now that Secret Power's miriad of effects can be very useful, even if it's not that strong. i assume in link battles, it would take the PAR effect... rest... leech seed to drive away opponents... Faint Attack for damage

ability: early rising
@defense chip/berry
Combo (kawarareri)
Shadow Ball
Rest
Amnesia

simple...

ability: chlorophyl
@King's Rock
Ichamon
Faint Attack
Double Team
Sunny Day

...used for making opponents miss a lot, and stuff like that...

Dr Crocodile
2nd March 2003, 07:40 PM
When doing the calculations, Daatengu can't OHKO any fire pokemon at full health with Explosion (even with a Silk Scarf), they need to have taken a bit of damage first. Rock Tomb may provide a possible solution. It's super effective against most of the types Daatengu is weak to and lowers their speed by one level. With Daatngu's respectable speed, it should now be able to outrun most pokemon. If you think you can finish them off, explode. If not, then run. This way, you would have left them with reduced speed which will benefit your partners. If you use Sunny Day to boost your speed and you draw out a fire type, your Explosion won't kill it and they will have the advantage of Sunny Day.

stickachu
2nd March 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Dr Crocodile
When doing the calculations, Daatengu can't OHKO any fire pokemon at full health with Explosion (even with a Silk Scarf), they need to have taken a bit of damage first. Rock Tomb may provide a possible solution. It's super effective against most of the types Daatengu is weak to and lowers their speed by one level. With Daatngu's respectable speed, it should now be able to outrun most pokemon. If you think you can finish them off, explode. If not, then run. This way, you would have left them with reduced speed which will benefit your partners. If you use Sunny Day to boost your speed and you draw out a fire type, your Explosion won't kill it and they will have the advantage of Sunny Day.

Thanks for doing the calculations dr. croc, but one question... will daatengu be able to survive a Super effective, STABbed flamethrower/fire blast/ eruption? Hmmm... with sunny day in effect he really won't be able to, and rock tomb won't be able to KO them. I say just keep him the heck away from fire types, but at least if you explode you can really hurt them (even if it doesn't KO them). If your next pokemon is fast enough, they should be able to finish them before the fire type can use that STABed, Sunny day flamethrower. *sigh* so complicated...

IronMike
2nd March 2003, 08:45 PM
so complicated...

Sigh , why does his not available in Ruby cousin have it so easy........ Stinky ol Mexican Pineapple......:mad: lol.

stickachu
2nd March 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by IronMike
Sigh , why does his not available in Ruby cousin have it so easy........ Stinky ol Mexican Pineapple......:mad: lol.

Oh no he didn't! I KNOW you did not just dis on runpappa! :mad:

anyway, to stay sort of on topic, I do think that sapphire got the better end of the deal. While daatengu's a great pokemon in his own right, Ruby misses out on a great type combination (water/grass) for a combination both versions can get anyway (grass/dark). Of course, nokutasu can't explode, and I have a strange fascination with pokemon that are dedicated enough to their trainers to blow themselves up. Try teaching your dog to do that! On second thought, don't teach your dog to do that, it's just sick. What's wrong with all you sickos! :no:

:P

Fellipe
3rd March 2003, 12:30 PM
What Supernatural power does???

Aninymouse
3rd March 2003, 01:48 PM
...is hit your opponent with a Psychic Type attack with a Base Power of 80, with a 10% chance of Flinch. You should finish your sentences...

Oddish17
3rd March 2003, 03:29 PM
Using damage calculations for RS battling = :no:
Exactly how many fire pokemon do you expect to run across with maxed out Defense? Although the same could be said for Daatengu's attack. I suppose it's alright to make a broad estimate at how much damage you can do, but with the new effort value system there is a huge margin of error when it comes to damage calculations. Just my thoughts, as I notice a bunch of people seem to still be in the GSC mindset(i.e. every pokemon has max stats) when it comes to RS battling.

If anyone is wondering, Daatengu is a Dark type because he is supposed to be a long-nosed goblin.

stickachu
3rd March 2003, 04:44 PM
A goblin? I thought he was a tengu...

EDIT: (looks downward) D'oh! I should have known that

Oddish17
3rd March 2003, 04:53 PM
Tengu is Japanese for long-nosed goblin :)