PDA

View Full Version : iPods, iPods, iPods

Water Pokemon Master
9th March 2005, 11:52 PM
Everywhere I go I see iPods, and now I want one. Some kids at school I talked to today said they got there's for $250, but I have heard about so many people getting them for free with those online offer things. Does anyone know of a good online website that gives them out for free (and is not a scam) for completing an offer?

abunaidesu
10th March 2005, 12:01 AM
www.freeipods.com

you need a credit card + several others to do arduous offers :(

Syberia
10th March 2005, 12:23 AM
Get a bunch of friends together, complete eachothers' offers, get your parents to do them too, and things like that. I know a bunch of people at my school who got theirs that way, however they ended up being the cheap kind. I'd suggest http://www.freeflatscreens.com for a better offer, at least something I'd want more because I already have an iPod.

Agent Elrond
10th March 2005, 09:22 AM
Adopt yourself into a family who's member works as a programmer/hardware/software engineer at Apple Computer. Then you can buy 'em for cheap OR have one given to you as a present.

(That's what happened to me anyway, my aunt sent me and my brother an iPod mini that she was given as a perk and didn't want. They're so funky, like, packed rather like candy you just want to eat the little things! :eek: )

RedStarWarrior
10th March 2005, 10:22 AM
iPods suck. Try getting something more useful, like a car.

abunaidesu
10th March 2005, 10:45 AM
iPods suck. Try getting something more useful, like a car.

He's only eleven years old, how do you expect him to drive? :lookout:

Neoleonightz
10th March 2005, 10:56 AM
eh..iPods can be quite useful..with enough memory to support 5,000+ songs. i also seen them used as portable USB memory drives where you could store files for school or work. even though price value is high for normal teenager(250-300$) i would say getting one is quite worth it...unless it gets stolen. =P happened to a friend of mine..

Chris
10th March 2005, 11:37 AM
Why does everyone always miss TBD?

Moving...

en0miz
10th March 2005, 04:03 PM
Meh, Ipods are alright... but they're too expensive. I got a Creative Zen Touch for Christmas which carries all the features of the Ipod, with a 24 hour battery life. Best part is that it can be found for 100 dollars cheaper. ;)

IRiver is another good Ipod alternative.. it's around the same price as the Ipod and can also play movies.

RedStarWarrior
10th March 2005, 08:22 PM
I agree with Simone. I find the Creative Labs devices to be much more useful while maintaining a smaller price tag.

phaedrus
11th March 2005, 11:46 PM
i find the iTunes library easy to use anyways.

you could go with the $99 iPod Shuffle, which is cheaper than that Creative Labs thing. you may think "wtf only 1 GB?" but it randomly (or you select) which songs go onto the Shuffle. so you could have like 5000 songs on your library, although only about 240 fit onto the iPod Shuffle at one update/whatever.

i like having all my songs with me at one though, so i like them big ol' ones. =0

if you can't tell i prefer iPod.

Syberia
12th March 2005, 12:04 AM
I like being able to pick what song I listen to :).

RedStarWarrior
12th March 2005, 01:27 AM
I like being able to pick what song I listen to :).
a.k.a. the iPod Shuffle sucks worse than the iPod.

kainashi
12th March 2005, 07:27 AM
I like being able to pick what song I listen to :).uh, you don't have to listen to it in shuffle mode. the slider on the back lets you choose to either shuffle the songs or play them in order so that's a moot point.

http://s116815968.onlinehome.us/ipodshuffle.jpg

lack of a display doesn't bother me either since you should know what song you're listening to in the first place. :eng101:

RedStarWarrior
12th March 2005, 12:40 PM
Of course, with the limited drive space, you still can't fit all the songs you would like to on it.

kainashi
12th March 2005, 06:40 PM
Of course, with the limited drive space, you still can't fit all the songs you would like to on it.i can and if i get sick of some of them, i just swap them out. i don't need to carry all my music with me since i hardly listen to most of it. :)

Sceptile_Master
12th March 2005, 07:07 PM
An iPod mini could possibly be the answer. 240 is usually enough but it depends if your going away for a fair bit of time. You might get the urge to listen to a song you don't have although 240 would usually suffice. I wouldn't put much more than err, slayer, megadeth, metallica, jimi hendrix, cat stevens, queens of the stone age, eric clapton and... err i'm going to stop there actually as I think I may have just proved myself wrong. Well that would be if I was going away for a while.

PancaKe
13th March 2005, 05:39 AM
I actually wish my ipod was bigger in its memory. It's 4 gig, but I've already used 3 gig, and now I'm thinking perhaps 20G would've been smarter. But I'm not bothered to go and swap it. ^_^

andyizcool
13th March 2005, 05:56 AM
I don't see why people buy ipod minis because for a few pounds or dollars more you could have four times the memory on a normal ipod. The ipod minis come in different colours wow that really makes me want less memory. :confused:

RedStarWarrior
13th March 2005, 07:05 AM
I am happy with my 40G Creative Labs Zen Xtra.

kainashi
13th March 2005, 08:18 AM
I don't see why people buy ipod minis because for a few pounds or dollars more you could have four times the memory on a normal ipod. The ipod minis come in different colours wow that really makes me want less memory. :confused:and for a few dollars more, you could buy the 30gb ipod. it's what apple wants you to do. waste more money. :P

I am happy with my 40G Creative Labs Zen Xtra.that's great but this thread is about ipods, bub. :)

Craig
4th April 2005, 10:08 PM
re: iPod shuffle

You people are bashing it un necessarily. I just recently bought one(1gb version) and find it to be awesome. You can't see what song you are listening to... big deal! I thought the point was to listen to it? On other mp3 players etc, the miniature LCD screen only really helps you figure out what song is playing if you really have never even listened to the music.

I like it, 1gb is plenty. Compared to mp3 players of lesser caliber that come with about 256, etc. I also like how the Ipod shuffle looks, and can act like a true USB Flash Drive. That was a big decision ;)

Tonight I was laying out the costs. (This is all Canadian funds)

The change between a 512mb Shuffle & 1 GB Shuffle was approximately 65 dollars, the change between a 1GB Shuffle and a 4GB Mini was approx 75 dollars. "Why not just go with the mini?"

Because once you get to the mini, its only about like 50 dollars to the "better" one, and then so on and so on :confused: Might aswell just spend approximately 2 trillion dollars for a 60GB iPod photo and be done with it.

No! I'd rather not spend all my money, but wanted something with decent storage and could also double as a flash drive. Thus, I bought a 1gb shuffle.

Can't see the song names? Oh well :)

RedStarWarrior
4th April 2005, 10:58 PM
For me it is the problem of not being able to fit all of the songs on it. Also, what if I want to listen to a specific song...I can't.

fat man with a monkey
4th April 2005, 11:08 PM
Um, you can. I dislike iPods (creative man myself), but you can turn off the shuffle mode. There's a switch on the back. So put the song on there, and then you can listen to it.

RedStarWarrior
4th April 2005, 11:12 PM
You don't get it. I don't want to cycle through the songs until I find it. I want to use a menu and pick the song. The shuffle doesn't allow that because it doesn't have a visual interface.

Water Pokemon Master
4th April 2005, 11:33 PM
It's the same thing though. If you scroll through a menu with the songs, you visual see what they are and select it. If you use iPod shuffle, you scroll through the songs using your hearing. If you know them well enough, it should work for you.

fat man with a monkey
4th April 2005, 11:36 PM
Being a user of creative products, I can vouch that they have very useful functions that pretty much require an LCD. Like, switching folders, setting stuff up, etc. I thought he was referring to the shuffle part of it.

RedStarWarrior
5th April 2005, 01:06 AM
It's the same thing though. If you scroll through a menu with the songs, you visual see what they are and select it. If you use iPod shuffle, you scroll through the songs using your hearing. If you know them well enough, it should work for you.
Yeah...because I want to cycle through a gig of songs. It isn't that I don't know what the songs are by ear, it is just that I don't want to take the time to cycle through them. Obviously you don't understand what I am saying...

Anyway, yeah, for some of the features I use, a screen is necessary. Therefore, the iPod Shuffle sucks for me.

mvtm
5th April 2005, 05:45 AM
I recommend you to buy a iPod Photo , 30GB , for $350 or less, i think thats worth every cent or atlleast the value

RedStarWarrior
5th April 2005, 09:35 AM
Not really. I have a Creative Labs Zen Xtra 40G for $250. It doubles as a storage device, of course. Anyway, the Apple products are still overpriced in comparison to much of the competition.

Kris
5th April 2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 20GB i pod and love it to bits!!

I dont like the mini as I think its too expensive considering what you get. But I do love the shuffle. I think its a great idea, as its as good as the i pod only cheaper. My brother is looking into getting one as he doesnt have that much music, so its perfect for him.

Dark Scizor
5th April 2005, 12:08 PM
I think its a great idea, as its as good as the i pod only cheaper. My brother is looking into getting one as he doesnt have that much music, so its perfect for him.

Pretty much why I want to get one. I'd rather get something else over an ipod product, but the shuffle is quite a good deal for me. Damn shame I have no money at the moment.

Razola
5th April 2005, 12:34 PM
Remember CD Players? Yeah, they're still pretty cool.

Everoy
5th April 2005, 12:53 PM
iPods suck. I have a Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox, 30GB, costs less than an iPod mini. Pretty much ANYTHING by Creative is cheaper, has more memory, and is better quality. So what if it isn't pretty and conrful? It's silver, and silver is purdy.

Thy
5th April 2005, 06:16 PM
I have a 10 Gig G2 iPod. I love it but I never need all that space. I'm going to get a Creative Zen Micro Photo soon when I save up. The only problem is that I have about 200 songs from the iTunes store. Is there any way you can convert them from AAC or whatever format it is to MP3 or WMA or something? If not I guess I need to stay with my iPod a little while longer.

fat man with a monkey
5th April 2005, 06:23 PM
nope, I don't believe you can convert them because of the DRM.

Dark Scizor
5th April 2005, 07:37 PM
Remember CD Players? Yeah, they're still pretty cool.

Yeah, I do. Hell of a bargain, since they're cheap, the CDs are cheap and you get a hell of a lot of storage per CD. But I might be getting a shuffle for free, so I'm not going to complain.

Lezta
7th April 2005, 09:25 AM
I have a 10 Gig G2 iPod. I love it but I never need all that space. I'm going to get a Creative Zen Micro Photo soon when I save up. The only problem is that I have about 200 songs from the iTunes store. Is there any way you can convert them from AAC or whatever format it is to MP3 or WMA or something? If not I guess I need to stay with my iPod a little while longer.

Burn them to a CD, then rip. You will however lose quality doing this. Stupid lossy formats. :)