PDA

View Full Version : Steamboy

fat man with a monkey
10th March 2005, 09:17 AM
Source: http://www.i4u.com/article3015.html

Steamboy a retro-scifi Anime movie is hitting theatres in the US on March 18th. The movie is directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, the director of cult Anime Akira (http://www.cooldvdmovies.com/cooldvds/B00005MAM2/Akira_Special_Edition.html) from the 80s, making Steamboy and automatic must-see movie. The US version also features big name voices like Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina.

From the Sony Synopsis:
" A retro science-fiction epic set in Victorian England, Steamboy features an inventor prodigy named Ray Steam who receives a mysterious metal ball containing a new form of energy capable of powering an entire nation. This young boy must use it to fight evil, redeem his family, and save London from destruction. The lush Victorian interiors and the elegance of the era's mechanical design allows Otomo to create dazzling visual backgrounds and machines for this film. With more than 180,000 drawing and 400 CG cuts, Steamboy is sure to be one of the most elaborate animated features of 2004. "
More details and Trailers on Sony Pictures Steamboy site (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/steamboy/title-navigation-2.html).
Sounds very interesting, but I doubt it'll hit the theatres of this little podunk burg... Anyone seen it yet?

Roarkiller
10th March 2005, 09:59 AM
Oh this one, last year's movie.

I heard that it's a slightly above average movie according to my friend (he shuttles between Texas and Tokyo pretty often). Basically, typical hollywood movie, it seems. Guy gets power, someone evil tries to get it, damsel in distress, save the world, that sort of stuff.

It's worth watching, of course. Just don't expect anything like Innocence though.

Dark Scizor
10th March 2005, 11:46 AM
I've read about this in NTUSA, it sounds quite good and his wheel contraption quite thing seems like a nice form of transport. I'm winging this, so I know I sound like I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Razola
10th March 2005, 02:52 PM
Retro-scifi is a bit contradictory, don't you think?

The Muffin Man
10th March 2005, 04:00 PM
Retro-scifi is a bit contradictory, don't you think?

It sounds edgier than cyber-steam-punk.

Andrew
10th March 2005, 04:11 PM
Retro Sci Fi makes me think of think of Lost in Space from what, the 60's?

Oh, and steamboy was released here in all those indy cinemas in 2004. I saw a few reviews on it, and it equated to this "Story sucks, animation pretty."

They spent a lot of time making it the prettiest anime movie, but not so much on the script or story. So it got lackluster reviews.

Last Exile
10th March 2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I heard the same things Andy.

It was made by Otomo, who also made Akira. Otomo is considered one of the big 3 in Japan along with Miyazaki and Oshii.

But from what I've seen of Otomo and Oshii, I'm not convinced. I think the big 3 is more like Miyazaki, Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent).

As usual, I'll have to find a Steamboy rip. It never came to Adelaide. Why is that no surprise? :rolleyes:

Roarkiller
12th March 2005, 04:23 AM
Lost In Space? No no, more like Rocketman.

Yeah the plot and story sucks from what I hear, but ey, the director's a big name, and that alone brings on the cash. Although it sure ain't enough.

Oshii's quite good. But then so is Samurai Champloo :lol:

Last Exile
13th March 2005, 01:40 AM
I'd put Oshii high but not as high as Miyazaki, Kon and Watanabe.

Oshii did both Ghost In the Shell movies, Patlabor 2, Avalon and is also the head of the creative team for Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG series. He has credentials but his storytelling and pacing aren't as potent as the 3 mentioned above.

Champloo is good, even though its storyline/plot gets infuriating at times due to extreme lack fo development.