PDA

View Full Version : For once, it's not microsoft

fat man with a monkey
12th March 2005, 12:55 AM
Although you or the owner of the Content retain ownership of all right, title and interest in Content that you post to any AIM Product, AOL owns all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this Content. In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses. Yeah, I got this slashdotting, but what's your opinion of it? I think it's bullshit, but so long as people agree to the terms of service, they don't have any place to bitch.

RedStarWarrior
12th March 2005, 01:29 AM
Why are you bringing this up?

fat man with a monkey
12th March 2005, 10:33 AM
because this is the binary district, and it's something we could have a conversation about in here? It would've gotten moved here if I posted it in misc, and I intended for it to be a conversation about ever-increasing loss of privacy on the Internet.

Lady Vulpix
12th March 2005, 11:39 AM
I guess it all comes down to: if you want to make money from something, don't show it to anyone over the Internet. That much was well known to everyone, I think. But if someone else (either AOL or anyone else) takes something you've made and uses it as theirs, that's stealing, and no terms of service should favor that. If that is indeed what they're allowing themselves to do.

RedStarWarrior
12th March 2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, but in order to use the services they provide, you have to agree to their terms of service, thereby relinquishing any right you had to the material.

Heald
12th March 2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.bloater-central.com/pics/AOL.JPG

Sceptile_Master
12th March 2005, 03:18 PM
AOL completely sucks. I hate it even more for that. Theift I tell yaz. Services you say, unless you had no choice you wouldn't use those services. Even then I would use it very little. My mate had the free trail, it really did suck. You can imagine them getting rich off their customers indeas. Stupid AOL. I hate them sooooo much.

Heald
12th March 2005, 03:23 PM
In short, people who have AOL have AIDS. Simple.

The Muffin Man
12th March 2005, 03:50 PM
Yes, but in order to use the services they provide, you have to agree to their terms of service, thereby relinquishing any right you had to the material.

Did you read that?

We relinquish the rights if we ever use AIM after this was used. And there's no warning. We're pretty much getting fucked blindsided and they can do it! If no one caught this, you'd essentially be giving AOL anything and everything they'd ever need.

Ice Rabbit
12th March 2005, 04:20 PM
Nobody in their right mind uses AOL anyway.

But this is bullshit if I understood it correctly.

Lady Vulpix
12th March 2005, 04:37 PM
Whether or not the previous statement is true, many people use AIM.

Kris
12th March 2005, 05:48 PM
I use AIM, personally prefer msn but most of you guys on here tend to use aim (well i think you do) so I use that aswell.

I find having both can be an advantage

Lady Vulpix
12th March 2005, 06:32 PM
I currently use GAIM. On it, I use AIM, ICQ, Y!M, MSN and IRC accounts. It's quite useful.

But it doesn't change the fact that many people do use AIM.

Jeff
12th March 2005, 09:33 PM
Trillian user here with AIM and Yahoo accounts.

That sucks about AOL, I don't like them anyway. I've heard stories...

But yeah I guess that means anything sent over the AIM network can be sto- I mean "used" by AOL even if neither person is using the AIM program.

Lezta
13th March 2005, 05:30 AM
I use AOL. Don't have any of their software installed but as an ISP they're actually not terrible.

The Muffin Man
13th March 2005, 09:40 AM
I use AOL. Don't have any of their software installed but as an ISP they're actually not terrible.

Doesn't it disconnect you alot? I remember until I got 8.0(Weep for me, I had AOL up to 8) I used to get disconnected a lot.

They remedied it by making my computer lag too much to boot me.

fat man with a monkey
13th March 2005, 10:25 AM
I got disconnected a lot back when I used AOL. And the browser they gave you was just full of so much bloat