PDA

View Full Version : Fire Poke

Rabid_Cow
14th March 2005, 04:28 PM
I need a good fire poke for my team. I'm not sure what one, or what role. (sorry if that isn't help) I was thinking about a Flareon as a physical sweeper, or a Houndoom as a Special Sweeper.

Flareon (+Atk. -Spd.) [252 Atk. 252 Spd. 6 HP]
Overheat<>Shadow Ball<>Return<>Quick Attack/Wish

Houndoom (+Spd. - Atk.) [252 Spd. 252 Sp. Atk. 6 HP]
Crunch<>Fire Blast<>Pursuit<>Counter

These are just a couple of my thoughts. These are not the only 2 pokes that my decision is limited to, and I've already got a Fighting so Blaziken is probably out. Any other help would be appreciated.

Sceptile_Master
14th March 2005, 05:25 PM
Now now there is no need for pursuit now is there. HP grass is usually quite good if you can get with high enough power. But can't think at the moment my mum is dragging me off the comi. Bye.

andyizcool
14th March 2005, 06:03 PM
I say try a Flareon holding Liechi Berry and maybe having Endure and Flail. So you can pull of an Endure and Flail combo also activating the Liechi Berry for maximum Attack. If you think anything is faster and mostly it will be used Quick Attack because Flareon has great Attack and the Liechi Berry boost will help too. The thing is Flareon is a great Pokemon but is Underused because of weaknesses and other Pokemon who are faster.

Rabid_Cow
14th March 2005, 09:39 PM
So you're suggesting a Flareon with this?:

Overheat<>Endure<>Flail<>Quick Attack

I would use a Salac Berry then. I mean yeah it would help out w/the Attack but a poke w/a high base Atk. stat and 1 HP using Flail causes enough damage. (I don't like the 2 normal moves on him and I doubt that this is what you meant. What 4 moves did you suggest?)

Would this be better?:

Shadow Ball<>Double Edge<>Overheat<>Substitute

Give him the Liechi berry and let him role. The only problem is the lack of speed. I've got a Scizor on this team that BP's Agility, so that is something that may change the M/S.

Anyways I'm goin to bed. (Sleeeeeeppp....) Thanks again for your help folks!

andyizcool
15th March 2005, 12:07 PM
Sadly Flareon only has 251 max Speed with 31 Speed IVs, 252 Speed EVs, and a +Speed Nature. So even activating a Salac Berry would only bring it to 376 Speed. That could outspeed a few things but most Sweepers aim for the 396 Speed or more to beat the 394 Speed Pokemon like Aerodactyl/Jolteon/Crobat. So I would go with your Physical Sweeper Moveset and have a Liechi Berry because that extra Attack helps in a pinch. With Scizor Baton Passing some Speed to Flareon that'll be a load of help if you do it right.

Rabid_Cow
16th March 2005, 09:39 PM
Here's what I'm gonna go with:

http://www.pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs291.png @Liechi Berry [252 Atk. 129 Def 129 HP]
Overheat<>Double Edge<>Shadow Ball<>Substitute

Keep in mind this guy usually gets BPed an Agility or two. On the EV's I put 252 in Atk. for obvious reasons, but after looking at his stats Defense was the lowest. So I split the rest in Defense and HP knowing that I probably will face just as many Earthquake/Rock Slides as I will Surf/Hydro Pumps. Was the splitting a good idea or is his Sp. Def. high enough to just dump all the rest into Defense alone?

BTW: Thanks Andy so far!