PDA

View Full Version : It's time you people understand! (A Bebop Discussion)

KaptainSarcasm
2nd March 2003, 12:42 PM
I was on the Pokemon Anime Board and I was reading the topic titled, "Do you have a crush on an anime charecter?"

Well, me being me, I of course had to check it out. But to my dismay, I go on and someone has said that they love Faye Valentine. No, I love Faye Valentine too. How can you not? She's so attractive that even a girl like me can appreciate her sheer beauty. I have no problem with someone loving Faye.

But then, even MORE to my dismay, this person went on to say about how Spike could never love Faye, because Spike could only love Julia.

Wrong wrong WRONG!!

Spike could NOT love Julia! Spike did NOT love Julia! He didn't love anyone! He was not in love with Julia, and Julia was not in love with him. Spike loved the IDEA of Julia. He loved the idea of a life without the syndicate. He loved the idea of a peaceful life. It was the same with Julia. They were not in love.

It's such a huge part of the series that Spike wasn't really doing anything for Julia, he was doing it for himself. He was doing it to put himself at ease because he knew he could never have Julia. Julia becomes a code name for a peaceful life. She was the element to a peacful life that Spike and Viscious both wanted.

Faye did not love Spike, either. She had a crush, in a way. She wanted to be used by Spike. She wanted Spike to use her to gain a peaceful life, but she knew she could never offer that to him. Faye was a woman with problems. She felt like she had no one. Thus, her ideas of love and relationships were constrewed. She would have "fallen in love with" anyone, as shown by the episode "My Funny Valentine." She had just met that guy. But she was vulnerable, so he took advantage of her. And she liked it. She never grew up. She never had TIME to grow up.

I just wanted to say this, because I hate it when people try to turn Bebop into this mushy piece of crap. There was no love in that series. It was all symbolism.

And that's why Bebop was art, not anime. Art. Nothing less.

Pokemon Neo
2nd March 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by KaptainSarcasm

And that's why Bebop was art, not anime. Art. Nothing less.

Um,it is anime.

Mewtwo-D2
2nd March 2003, 11:04 PM
Bebop was and is a great show, and it was art. However, as a cartoon from Japan, it still does count as anime.
As for the love in the series, that's a matter of opinion entirely, and seeing actual love between the characters does not make it 'mushy crap'. It merely means other people see the characters differently.

And for a warning, if I see angry posts in here, it's getting closed.

AKA Pokemon Fan
4th March 2003, 09:08 PM
Your reasons don't make sense to me (if I remember right I may be the person who said that about Julia and Spike). At the end of the series when they reunite, after Julia explains how she was supposed to kill Spike in order to be free of the Red Dragon mafia, Julia quite plainly says "Why did you love me?"

Spike wanted to leave the violent life of the Red Dragon, put his past behind him, but that was only part of it. He also wanted Julia to be with him. It's hard to see that as anything but love. True Julia became a symbolic image of lost happiness for Spike but that didn't change the fact that he loved her. Then at the end Spike finds out that Julia truly loved him as well. I think it's a bit hasty of you to think that a little tragic romance does anything to lessen the greatness that is Bebop.