PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhiker's Guide

Zak
18th May 2005, 10:05 AM
I haven't seen it yet, since I don't want to until I'm done with the book... but for those of you here who've seen it, was it any good/worthwhile?

Milkychunk
18th May 2005, 10:30 AM
I went to watch Hitchhiker's a little while ago, after my sister read the book, and I loved it. The characters are great, the actors chosen perfectly and the movie as an overall is fantastic and funny. The whole film was great and I was laughing all the way through, I especially loved Marvin, who, I'm sure, most people will love. (He's voiced by Alan Rickman, YAY!)

Nace
18th May 2005, 10:36 AM
It's a fantastic movie. It actually surpassed both Fight Club and A Clockwork Orange as my favourite movie (and that's hard to do). It does differ from the book *but* the story has changed for every incarnation so far anyway so it's not a big deal.

That said, I don't want there to be a sequel unless Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay for that too before he died. It just wouldn't be the same.

Heald
18th May 2005, 10:37 AM
I heard that all the British humour, you know, the stuff that made the book funny, has been squeezed out of the film to make for an American-style blockbuster. If and when I see it I'll make the judgement. That's just what I've heard.

Cheesey
18th May 2005, 11:06 AM
A bunch of my sisters mates went to see it a while back.

The ones who'd read the book said it was crap. The ones who hadn't read the book said it was good. And I know you're not a 20 year old student from Britain, Zak, but it doesn't sound all that great to me. I guess it just depends on what your tastes are, but I heard pretty much the same thing as Heald did.

Tha_Dragon
18th May 2005, 04:46 PM
It's one of my favorite movies. I suggest you go see it. There's a lot of funny shit that should be able to please you.

Heald
18th May 2005, 04:50 PM
^ - You only liked it because they chose a black guy to play Ford Prefect.

The_Missing_Link
18th May 2005, 06:29 PM
I saw it the weekend it came out and I actually liked it a lot. I tried reading the first book but had to stop after 40 pages because it was too boring so that's partly why I liked it so much. I think the general consensus is that if you didn't read the books, you'll like it more. Even if you did read them, it should be a good film but it's up to each person. You can't not go just because you hear it's bad or sub-par. Go to judge for yourself

Hearing Rickman as Marvin is worth the money, but I personally like him so it's bias

stickachu
18th May 2005, 07:11 PM
I had read a bit of the books and was generally knowledgable about what happens within them, but never did completely read any of them. That said, I enjoyed the movie. It wasn't the best movie I've seen, but it was genuinely enjoyable.

Tha_Dragon
18th May 2005, 10:02 PM
^ - You only liked it because they chose a black guy to play Ford Prefect.I actually liked Marvin a little more than Ford Perfect. I also thought Zaphod Beeblebox was equally as good as Ford Pefect. The other characters were good too.

The Decapitated Mole
19th May 2005, 04:53 AM
I'm tempted not to post in this because I posted in the other topic and seem to have killed it, but I do that a lot so I really don't care... but yeah. I had been anticipating this movie for months, since I saw it on IMDB, and although I was kinda pissed that they chose Mos Def, of all people, to play Ford, the selection of one Martin Freeman as Arthur made up for it in full, and when I saw the movie opening day, Mos actually did much better than I thought. So yeah. Not really true to the books at all, and I really don't see how they can make a sequel because they had Trillian fall for Arthur at the end of this one, which doesn't work at all, but I hope they make one anyway sorta.

o_0
jimm

AntiAsh Superstar
19th May 2005, 05:36 AM
Haven't seen it yet but I'm kinda scared by the casting... maybe I'm too biased toward the original TV series but whywhywhy, for example, have they totally changed Ford Prefect in the name of having the token black guy? (tho to be honest I can't imagine Ford as anyone other than the guy who played him in the TV series full stop). I shall reserve judgement, tho, until I've actually seen it.

Kris
19th May 2005, 08:34 AM
Mixed ratings on this one.

Not seen it myself yet but have heard a mixture of good and bad reports from friends on it.

Will try to go and see it soon though as the majority say its great.

stickachu
19th May 2005, 09:03 AM
Haven't seen it yet but I'm kinda scared by the casting... maybe I'm too biased toward the original TV series but whywhywhy, for example, have they totally changed Ford Prefect in the name of having the token black guy? (tho to be honest I can't imagine Ford as anyone other than the guy who played him in the TV series full stop). I shall reserve judgement, tho, until I've actually seen it.

I have to say, the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect is the one thing you don't have to worry about. He's far from a token black guy in that he doesn't do the things that token black guys do in movies. Of course, Mos Def is an extremely accomplished stage and screen actor and wouldn't let himself play a stereotypical, black people be so crazy role. The character's still the same from the limited experience I've had with him, and the race of the character is never an issue (as it shouldn't be)

Powarun
19th May 2005, 04:05 PM
I saw it, wasn't the best movie in the world, not the worst. I thought hta there would have been a bit more hitch hiking but what can one do. I still think that after the dolphin part it was a bit ironic how a protestor was saved. But it does give people a good reason why not to put AI chips in robots.

Tha_Dragon
19th May 2005, 04:42 PM
Haven't seen it yet but I'm kinda scared by the casting... maybe I'm too biased toward the original TV series but whywhywhy, for example, have they totally changed Ford Prefect in the name of having the token black guy? (tho to be honest I can't imagine Ford as anyone other than the guy who played him in the TV series full stop). I shall reserve judgement, tho, until I've actually seen it.Token black guy? The color of skin doesn't signify the validity of a movie. It doesn't matter if the actor is black or any other color, so don't judge people on skin color.

Andrew
19th May 2005, 05:38 PM
I read the books, but never enjoyed them, and the movie was mildly amusing... I liked Trillian, but I was ok with the Love subplot because we didn't have some awful dinnerdate or smoochies or anything really annoying. It was an ok movie, not spectacular, not mindboggling....

I want my own edition of the ACTUAL hitchhikers guide!

RedStarWarrior
19th May 2005, 09:53 PM
I thought it was a great movie and I did read the book.

AntiAsh Superstar
20th May 2005, 09:11 AM
Token black guy? The color of skin doesn't signify the validity of a movie. It doesn't matter if the actor is black or any other color, so don't judge people on skin color.

I'm not, to be honest I'm just coming from the angle of a major fan of the TV show - randomly changing the race of a person so that at least one IS a black guy even if that wasn't the case originally does smack of trying too hard to satisfy quotas don;t it? ;(

Carbonite4
20th May 2005, 02:13 PM
I absolutely loved it. It was so completely random and hilarious. I am a fan of the book series as well.

I have seen it twice and plan on buying the DVD.

RedStarWarrior
20th May 2005, 07:00 PM
I'm not, to be honest I'm just coming from the angle of a major fan of the TV show - randomly changing the race of a person so that at least one IS a black guy even if that wasn't the case originally does smack of trying too hard to satisfy quotas don;t it? ;(
Don't mind Tha_Dragon. He doesn't understand complex things. Anyway, I believe that having him as a black guy in the movie was perfect...;)

Greyfox
20th May 2005, 07:17 PM
Don't mind Tha_Dragon. He doesn't understand complex things. Anyway, I believe that having him as a black guy in the movie was perfect...;)
Don't you mean prefect?

Anyway, I'm currently reading the Restaurant at the End of the Universe (book two in the series) and I'm really enjoying it. I'll see the movie eventually, but I have to wonder; is the movie based solely on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?, or does it cover all the books. I ask only because ...Hitchiker's Guide... ended rather abruptly (much like the Fellowship of the Ring).

-Grey

RedStarWarrior
20th May 2005, 08:52 PM
It is based on the first book.

Powarun
22nd May 2005, 07:38 PM
I thought HitchHiker's guide is the second book, isn't the first "Thank You for the Fish?" Or I may just be looking at the wrong section of my school's library.

Jeff
22nd May 2005, 08:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish is the fourth book.

AntiAsh Superstar
23rd May 2005, 12:37 PM
Okay, okay... having now seen it I'll begrudgingly admit it didn't translate to the big screen too badly, even my worries about the casting were unfounded as the new Ford Prefect was actually quite good (even tho I will always remember the character as a weedy guy with curly hair and a pinstripe jacket and nothing will ever change that). They even kept in the random references from the Guide itself and I did rather enjoy cameo spotting - I noticed the original guy who played Arthur Dent as the welcome message to Magrathea (sp?) plus the original design for Marvin stood in a queue, :D

However, anyone who has seen the TV series might as well not bother. My opinion now is that it's just an uber-condensed version of that with different actors. :O

The Decapitated Mole
23rd May 2005, 02:06 PM
I think the best inside joke in the movie was when Ford and Zaphod were first reunited, and Zaphod calls him 'Ix' accidentally, without any explanation or anything. [in the book, in the part explaining Ford's origin, the children at school nicknamed him 'Ix', which means 'one who cannot explain what a hrung is or why it should choose to collapse around Betelgeuse VII]. I'm surprised i caught that, I usually miss things like that.

o_0
jimm