PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you heard of iron claw?

Sceptile_Master
21st May 2005, 05:57 PM
Just wondering. There are my uncles band back in the 70s. Some of their songs are around the internet. Anyone know of them. I love their songs. My uncle got annoyed after listening to them and bringing back memories of splitting up when they had a record contract offer (they fell out with the bassist I think).

PNT510
21st May 2005, 09:29 PM
They shoulda just got a new bassist.

RedStarWarrior
22nd May 2005, 09:43 AM
They shoulda just got a new bassist.
I concur. Of course, find a good replacement is sometimes hard.

PokeChamp
22nd May 2005, 10:07 PM
what type of music do they play?

Sceptile_Master
24th May 2005, 07:06 AM
Like black sabbath type rock music. Here is a link to one of there songs for download.

Mist Eye (http://www.osaeris.serverbox.org/ironclaw/audio/Mist%20Eye.mp3)

Tell me what you think. My uncle was the lead guitarist (een though they only had one guitarist).

fat man with a monkey
24th May 2005, 09:02 AM
"Like black sabbath type rock music"

...metal? I mean, with the name Iron Claw, that would've been my first guess.

Sceptile_Master
24th May 2005, 09:15 AM
They are from the 70s metal wasn't even properly invented then. it was only until 1983 with Metallica and Slayer starting up that metal was invented.

fat man with a monkey
24th May 2005, 09:17 AM
You blessed blessed retard, thinking that Metallica was the father of metal. You're so cute when you don't have a fucking clue what's going on!

Sceptile_Master
24th May 2005, 09:24 AM
I said when it properly started black sabbath is rock. Of course I know what I'm talking about. I think you are the one who doesn't. I'm not saying that they are they fathered metal but that is when what you could actually class the difference between rock and metal. Anything before them didn't quite be what you could call metal, it was no higher than hard rock.

Lezta
24th May 2005, 09:36 AM
I love people who seem to think there is some sort of scale that goes from rock to death metal. :)

Sceptile_Master
24th May 2005, 09:44 AM
Death Metal is complete crap there is a difference. When you go into a music shop and go to the metal section the very oldest bands you see there will be the likes of Metallica, Slayer and Diamond Head. The others are all placed under rock.

fat man with a monkey
24th May 2005, 03:59 PM
There is a difference between rock and metal, most noticeably in the guitars and drums. Black Sabbath was pretty much the earliest band whose sound could be classified as metal. Electric Funeral is hardly hard rock, it's pretty metal. Same thing with Iron Man, and I'd definitely call War Pigs metal. Snowblind? ****ing metal. Rat Salad? Way ****ing metal. When you begin to subgenre it - death metal, punk metal, then you're just nitpicking.

[EDIT] and black sabbath was late 60's, not just 70's.
[EDIT2] Here's the wikipedia entry for black sabbath. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath)

nightcrow
24th May 2005, 05:46 PM
Death Metal is complete crap there is a difference. When you go into a music shop and go to the metal section the very oldest bands you see there will be the likes of Metallica, Slayer and Diamond Head. The others are all placed under rock.

What kind of death metal do you listen to? :rolleyes: Granted it is definitely not my favorite genre but there is some AWESOME death metal out there. Kicks 'tallica's ass anyday ;)

Systematic Revolution
24th May 2005, 06:35 PM
Wow someone is ignorant (SM). Clearly we have one amongst us who is blind to musical history. If you think for even one second that the songs Cornucopia, Symptom of the Universe, Electric Funeral, Supernaut, Wheels of Confusion and Under the Sun are even REMOTELY in the realm of hard rock you are the most ignorant person I have ever met.

Hell even if you go forward 10 years to 1980 when Dio joined black sabbath, some of that stuff is about a step from being THRASH. Besides, before Metallica there was still the Scorpions. Ever hear of "Hair" metal? Well a lot of those bands started in... Guess when? Mid to late 70s and early 80s! Metallica is in NO WAY WHATSOEVER the fathers of metal. When you read articles, the name that comes up with "Fathers of metal" next to it is almost always Black Sabbath.

Brush up on your history. If you want to get into nitpicking details, you can probably fairly say that Metallica is ONE of the fathers of THRASH. But that might even be stretching it.

EDIT: Do some research on 60s and 70s rock. You'll find a lot of it included bands such as The Who. The Who is rock. Doors were big then too. Sabbath is metal. There is a mountain of differences higher than Mount Everest.

Saying Sabbath is rock is like saying The Clash is death metal. It's just plain not true. Saying Metallica are the fathers of metal is like saying Red Hot Chili Peppers are the father of alternative.

And I do like that song. Very nicely done. Not quite as heavy as most of Sabbath's stuff, but definitely a good song.

Sceptile_Master
25th May 2005, 03:11 AM
Everyone stop saying that I said Metallica fathered metal. I didn't I'm just stating that (apart from black sabbath and a few other bands if you must call them metal, hey I don't have any sabbath albums) they along with the other ones mentioned were what really got metal going. Or at least they started a kind of heavy metal thing going which in this day and age has gone to out of hand with crap use of power chords and screaming.

fat man with a monkey
25th May 2005, 09:17 AM
"it was only until 1983 with Metallica and Slayer starting up that metal was invented"

There you said that metallica invented metal. They didn't. Metal was around long before metallica. Sure, they may be a champion of the genre, but they hardly invented it. Know what? I love metallica. They still didn't invent it.

Systematic Revolution
25th May 2005, 04:24 PM
"Capital notion, Watson"

Okay fine, Slayer didn't father metal either, Jesus. Everyone knows Slayer is country anyway! :rolleyes:

MetalScyther
25th May 2005, 04:31 PM
Black Sabbath is usually credited with being the "father" of metal as we know it today. You can't really accurately credit the beginning of metal to just one band though. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, hell, even 60s stuff like Slade had some metal sounds.

Black Sabbath kicks major ass though. Tommy Iommi pretty much influenced me to pick up a guitar one day.

Systematic Revolution
25th May 2005, 04:46 PM
I know Sabbath didn't completely father metal, but they were easily the top one. Of course Zep, Maiden and Slade helped tremendously. Just trying to get the point across that metal started and was popular way back in the late 60s. Not 1983.

And yeah, Iommi was huge inspiration for me too. If not for him, I probably wouldn't have any talent as a musician. I most likely would've given up awhile ago. He is the only person on earth I can safely say I would lick his bloody feet. I don't literally mean "bloody" I'm using bloody in place of "fuck".

Leon-IH
27th May 2005, 08:32 AM
Death Metal is complete crap there is a difference.

You said you like slayer.

Slayer is death metal you retard.

Sceptile_Master
28th May 2005, 01:54 PM
I'd call slayer just very heavy metal. Tom Aryha (can't rmember how it's spelt), Kerry King and the rest all have actual proficiency in their instruments. And despite the vocals being a bit hard he does keep in key.

MetalScyther
30th May 2005, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't Slayer be thrash metal?

This pretty much backs up the point that classifying metal is gay. Too many people try to seperate it into too many subgenres on all of the music forums that I go to.

BTW, Systematic Revolution, what instruments do you play?

nightcrow
31st May 2005, 07:11 PM
I'd call slayer just very heavy metal. Tom Aryha (can't rmember how it's spelt), Kerry King and the rest all have actual proficiency in their instruments. And despite the vocals being a bit hard he does keep in key.

I dunno what kind of metal you listen to, but many metal bands have great proficiency at their instruments and their vocals. Do you realise how ****ing hard it is to hold a growl or black metal scream? combine that with keeping in key, and you'll see how immensely talented those people are in order to get the desired effect.

This pretty much backs up the point that classifying metal is gay. Too many people try to seperate it into too many subgenres on all of the music forums that I go to.

It's really not "gay" if people actually knew what they were talking about. Thrash, Black, and Goth metal, for example, are all completely different music genres that are practically impossible to classify as the same thing. But people are like "Oh Mudvayne is pretty heavy they must be death metal!" and all I can do is stare at them like they're idiots.

edit:: i really meant thrash, not trash.. honestly.

Systematic Revolution
31st May 2005, 08:26 PM
Amen, Ash. I subgenre things because it makes things easier.

Leon-IH
2nd June 2005, 07:43 AM
I'd call slayer just very heavy metal. Tom Aryha (can't rmember how it's spelt), Kerry King and the rest all have actual proficiency in their instruments.

Plenty of death metal bands have musical talent - but all the ones I listen to you probably haven't heard of. In all seriousness there's talent and lack of in all genres.

Sceptile_Master
14th July 2005, 05:49 PM
Hey I'm a guitarist/vocalist myself I know what it's like. Not all of it's talent. I grant there is some, but music as a whole, talent wise, is getting worse and worse alot of the time. Alot of guitaring these days seems to be the abuse of power chords. Death Metal screaming is OK if done right. Unfortunately alot of the time it isn't done right.

AntiAsh Superstar
14th July 2005, 07:08 PM
I propose we just have two genres of music - 'crap' and 'not crap' to save all this time bickering about what is/isn't death metal/emo/punk/whatever genre nobody can come up with a decent definition for. :P

Sceptile_Master
14th July 2005, 07:11 PM
If you are a musician then that theory really is not a good thing to be thinking. Each genre gets its name from certain musical theory and techniques and such.

homeofmew
14th July 2005, 07:54 PM
wasn't born until '85 sorry.

Sceptile_Master
15th July 2005, 11:01 AM
I wasn't born until 89. But let's put it this way, the blues scale isn't called the blues scale because it's meant to be used in punk music.