PDA

View Full Version : Game Sites...

Silver Ledian
2nd June 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what would you say are a couple of the best sites that give decent reviews on games for all consoles? And also info on upcoming releases for each console (I know gamefaqs has that).

stickachu
2nd June 2005, 03:23 PM
gamerankings.com compiles ratings from all over. Kinda like what rottentomatoes does for movies.

PNT510
2nd June 2005, 03:25 PM
I'd say ign, but most people say their reviews are terrible. I personally don't think they are worse than any other review site though.

Zak
2nd June 2005, 04:31 PM
Doesn't Gamefaqs do reviews? Or do they suck? *doesn't read them*

kainashi
2nd June 2005, 04:57 PM
they're up there with ign. i'd say gamefaqs is worse though. ;o

PNT510
2nd June 2005, 10:22 PM
Gamefaqs reviews are submited by users and normally by people who hate the game, or the games fanboys so they there winds up being no middle ground.

SeleucusII
16th July 2005, 08:14 PM
www.gamespot.com
That is a pretty good website,they have movies of the games too.

Razola
17th July 2005, 06:47 AM
IGN: Inconsistent and just plain idiotic.
Gamespy: Flaky.
Gamespot: Not bad, but normally overly harsh.

And most of the entire gaming media is engrossed in hype and embedding themselves in the console competition. It's as if your news was delivered by MTV and had it give nonsense opinions on who makes the best houses.

"Gaming media" is currently an oxymoron.

Musourenka
17th July 2005, 01:53 PM
Gamespot seems to be the best in my opinion. They tend to be the least influenced by hype and try to look at games as objectively as possible. IGN isn't too bad if you want a second opinion, and there are enough moderate reviews in GameFAQs to warrant checking them out. Regardless, I recommend going through all three of them; one review generally isn't enough to get an accurate picture of the game.

My advice would be to stay away from the magazines, though. EGM and Gamepro both suck, and GameInformer and GMR are only slightly better. In my humble opinion, Game Players and Die Hard Gamefan (and to a lesser extent, Nintendo Power before the N64 days) were the only magazines worth a damn.

Heald
19th July 2005, 12:09 PM
All the mainstream sites (IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy) are dirty whores. Gamespy sold out long ago and Gamespy Arcade is the biggest piece of shit on the planet. I can't believe so many publishers use it:

"Hmm...can't be arsed to make our own multiplayer browser, lets leave it to Gamespy."

Yeah, I wish I could use Gamespy Arcade without having to slog through about 50 ads. It is probably riddled with Spyware too. I could pay an extortionate subscription...or I could get bent.

IGN forces an ad down your throat every other page. Dirty whores.

Gamespot's web design hurts my eyes. I can't even concentrate on anything due to their crappy colour-scheme and the fact they just love to jam as much useless shit on every page as possible. Wow, there's a poll: 'DO U MASTURBATE TO TIFA?!!!' 99% yes, 1% don't know what masturbate means.

I hate how I have to sign-up and register if I want to download a patch or movie or something. Yeah, sure, send shit to my email address, even though I ticked the 'Tick this if you don't want us to send you stupid shit you don't want or need' box.

Personally, I prefer sites that have magazine counterparts, so the news is straight from the magazine. It gives you some reassurance that the info you're reading wasn't writte by some 14-year old or some other asshole whose selling out to Microsoft or Nintendo.

Razola
23rd July 2005, 09:56 AM
As far as content, magazines are just as big as dicks as their online counterparts. EGM called Banjo-Kazooies and Perfect Dark overrated. Insufferable.

Chris Watarimono
5th August 2005, 09:34 PM
Actually, GameFAQs does seem to have some solid reviews for games if one looks hard enough behind all the mindless and ignorant masses. For the most part, they seem...incomplete, since they gravitate only on one part or section rather than looking at the game as a whole. Despite this, it gives opinions of the gamers by the gamers, and most of the people actually write half-decent reviews. One can make a solid judgement from looking at all the scores and reviews from all the reviewers and make an inference. Like I said, one has to be careful though. I heard how /great/ Gunstar Heroes were for the Genesis from many of the people there save for only one person who gave it a four out of ten, so I decided to play it. It ended up to be terrible...=x

-Chris R.