PDA

View Full Version : [YGO] Important change to TCG rules!

Nace
3rd June 2005, 05:44 AM
UDE recently changed the ruling on battle position changes to match the OCG one. Check it out:

Battle Position Changes Effective June 6, 2005

A Monster Card’s battle position in the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME can be changed in one of two ways:

1. A "manual" change. This is when you use your once-per-turn battle position change on a monster, during your Main Phase 1 or 2, to change it from attack position to defense position or vice versa. This includes a Flip Summon. There are some restrictions on when you can do this (see below).

2. A change because of a card effect. Examples: “Enemy Controller”, “Zero Gravity”, “Guardian Sphinx”, “Book of Moon” and “Tsukuyomi”.

A “manual” change can only be performed during your Main Phase 1 or 2. There are 3 exceptions that will prevent you from “manually” changing a monster’s battle position:

Exception #1: You cannot “manually” change the battle position of a monster if it declared an attack that turn (even if the attack was negated or a replay occurred).

Exception #2: You cannot “manually” change the battle position of a monster if it was Summoned or Set that turn by the turn player.

Exception #3: You cannot “manually” change the battle position of a monster if its battle position was already changed “manually” that turn (including if it was Flip Summoned).

Please note that:

You CAN always change the battle position of a monster with a card effect, even if any of the above exceptions prevent you from changing its battle position “manually”.

You CAN change the battle position of a monster “manually” if its battle position was changed by a card effect previously that turn (as long as none of the 3 exceptions exist). Example: You activate “Book of Moon” and flip a monster into face-down Defense Position. Then you can Flip Summon it that same turn, as long as none of the 3 exceptions exist.

You CAN change the battle position of a monster “manually” if it was Summoned or Set, but not by the turn player. Example: “Cyber Jar” Summons a monster on the opponent’s side of the field, and the turn player uses “Change of Heart” to take control of it, then Flip Summons it that same turn. This is a legal play (as long as none of the 3 exceptions exist).

You CAN change the battle position of a monster “manually” if it was returned to the field because of “Dimensionhole”, because it does not Summon the monster (as long as none of the 3 exceptions exists).

http://www.upperdeckentertainment.com/yugioh/en/faq_advanced.aspx

Anywho, we have the OCG ruling now. Prepare for TER and tsukuyomi abuse. I myself shall be abusing spell canceller + tsukuyomi. ^-^

Orion
3rd June 2005, 10:22 AM
Awesome! I'm glad it turned out that way.

I always thought that the position change was always allowed as long as you didn't do it previously in your turn. The other conditions were known by me too. What I did find stupid was that the position change due to a card effect counted as the manual position change. I never played that way when I had Tsukuyomi... I always flipped the monster face-down and then Flip Summoned it right away.

The rulebook never hinted at such way of playing either. Also, as the rulebook said, whenever the rules conflicted, the text on the card should be considered. I always felt that position change due to a card effect was like a forced change, and it didn't matter if you had done you manual change already, or if you hadn't done it.

Oh well. I'm glad they've changed it to what it should have been. I mean, it was even logic the way it was in the OCG. I always played that way...

Nace
4th June 2005, 01:06 AM
It's funny because the old ruling saved me from a grave ohja killing me at the TLM preview. Hooray for ruling technicalities! :rotfl:

Dark-San
4th June 2005, 09:37 AM
New news? It's an old one. Konami has already had it explained in it's ruling site some months ago.

Okay here's some question regarding the above ruling.

Player A declares attack using Goblin Attack Force.
Player B uses Enemy Controller to switch it to defense position.

Question 1: Can Player A switch Goblin Attack Force into attacking position in main phase 2?

Player A summons Vamp Lord in standby phase.
Player B uses book of moon on Vamp Lord.

Question 2: Can Vamp Lord be re-flip to attacking position again in main phase 1?

The above questions can be answered if you had read the above ruling in details.

Nace
4th June 2005, 10:10 PM
I don't doubt that the OCG ruling site has had the OCG rulings on it for months. I'm talking about the TCG, the English game. The rules have been different between the two for a while but Upperdeck has been making efforts to correct it, such as the dark necrofear errata a while back.

If you'd read it properly you would have noticed it said "effective June 6th, 2005". How could that possibly have been OLD news when it's not even active yet?