PDA

View Full Version : Official Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince discussion topic (Spoilers)

Chris Watarimono
9th July 2005, 09:31 AM
OMG!!! OMG!!! I don't believe it at all! Only six more days before the launch! ONLY SIX DAYS!!! Right afterwards, we'd be then counting down the launch by HOURS!!~ I am SO psyched for this! =D

If anyone didn't see the thread back in the temp board, here's the first post:

WAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is coming IN TEN DAYS! Get it? IN TEN DAYS!!! XD

WAHAHAHAHAHAH...whoo. Much more calm now. Some places may say that it comes out on July 16, but the main release date is the 15th, or at least that where I last heard.

There's so much to know in this new book! Such as the new DADA professor, whom they seem to go through in the series! =P Lily's Potter's big secret revealed! Harry's and Dumbledore's greater link between each other! More of Professor Snape! The history of the birth of *shrieks* Voldemort! OWL Results! Raging hormones of those horny young men and women of Hogwarts, which everyone seems to love so much! XD And of course...

...THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!!! XD

I am soooooooo excitied for this up and coming release of this book! So much I preordered via Amazon.com, and that they'll promise delievery on the release date! XD I am so psyched for this! What's even more this is only the second to the last! Right after HBP is teh grand finale! Ayah! Harry Potter grown up so very quickly already! XD

BTW, I'm defintely thinking of going to a release party in my area, but so far, it's been a tough struggle. My parents don't want me to go to New York City at midnight, when most of the release parties occur, and the bookstore parties will only invite you in if you pre-order from those stores. =\ Ah well...I'll find a way somehow...

Still...I don't believe it! HALF-BLOOD PRINCE IN TEN DAYS!!! XD

So, in continuation from that thread, as well as in the interest of discussion, why do you like to read the Harry Potter series. If you don't like the books, then why not?

-Chris R.

Kris Edit- This topic will now probably contain spoilers, so if you dont want to see them dont look in this topic!

Master of Paradox
9th July 2005, 02:07 PM
I used to like the books... but J.K. Rowling's writing style is too paced to be exciting, and her philosophies are downright sanctimonious. And her attempts to "darken" her work has robbed it of the magic it used to have.

I'm still getting Book Six, though. I'll also get Book Seven. And then I can sell all seven first editions for a squidload of cash in a few years.

Dark Scizor
9th July 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm still getting Book Six, though. I'll also get Book Seven. And then I can sell all seven first editions for a squidload of cash in a few years.

One of the best ideas I've heard in a while.

Chris 2.1
11th July 2005, 08:33 AM
Looking forward to it. Got it preordered. I wonder which is the big character kill-off this time around?

Chris Watarimono
11th July 2005, 09:34 AM
Only 4 more days until HBP...

...C'mon people! I know you're all out there! :xd: There has to be more support for Harry Potter than this! Come on all out! :p

-Chris R.

The Decapitated Mole
11th July 2005, 10:53 AM
I've got the book on preorder from Amazon, it's supposed to arrive on Friday. I can hardly wait, I've been reading OoTP since friday to get myself refreshed, and now I'm just anticipating the next one more and more with every page.

o_0
jimm

Lady Vulpix
11th July 2005, 11:05 AM
Well, I like reading fantasy stories in general and they qualify as such. Though I'm going to wait until it comes to Argentina, probably next year.

Kris
11th July 2005, 11:36 AM
They take you to a whole new world, a new place. Its great! They have also encouraged children to read more which is always a good thing.

I started reading the philosophers stone last night, gonna finish the order of the phoenix on friday hopefully. Ready for my new book on saturday!

midnightangel
12th July 2005, 04:43 AM
I ordered mine from Amazon.com in February :P

Should be getting it later on during the week...Amazon said around the 18th or 19th, then again the other book I ordered came early
*waits patiently*

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
12th July 2005, 05:54 AM
I hope I remember to get the book this time. The last one I always forgot to order and finally got it half a year after it was released ... and never got around to read for another few months. Oh well, still some time before the german version is issued.

Chris 2.1
12th July 2005, 06:10 AM
I ordered mine in January and got my parents to pay for it. It was a "birthday present". Hehe. I'm such a crafty businessman.

Magmar
12th July 2005, 06:14 AM
Looking forward to it. Got it preordered. I wonder which is the big character kill-off this time around?

I heard it was a Weasley.... >_<

shazza
12th July 2005, 06:19 AM
WAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is coming IN TEN DAYS! Get it? IN TEN DAYS!!! XD

WAHAHAHAHAHHA... i don't get it man

Chris 2.1
12th July 2005, 06:27 AM
If it is Weezy it's ok.
A) Harry and Hermy can finally make beautiful music
B) Mr and Mrs Weezy have been churning out kids since dickity-six. One dead won't hurt.

Oh yea apparently some peeps in the US found out who the character was who died and spread it everywhere. Mint.

Kris
12th July 2005, 04:54 PM
I didnt think there were any leaks on this one?

Have any leaks been posted on the internet, if so where!!

Zak
12th July 2005, 05:13 PM
I preordered in November. I win :P

And Chris, where did you hear that?

Heald
12th July 2005, 05:32 PM
Plot driven drivel.

Also, JK Rowling is a skank whose spent more time on plastic surgery than writing this book.

And the sad part is I'm still going to buy it, but only out of spite.

Chris 2.1
13th July 2005, 11:24 AM
Zak: It was in my local (lower class) newspaper. Apparently people in the US who were boxing the books ready to deliver elsewhere took some photos of the blurb and inside pages where it revealled which character died. Iirc it WAS posted on the internet and a lot of people were thrilled because they were now inquisitive as to "how they died."

I can see where they come from. For example, if someone said "oh yea Ginny dies" you'd go "wow I wonder how?" etc and it still fuels your keenness.

BTW I dunno if Ginny dies that was a random example.

NOVEMBER? Whoa.

Drusilla
13th July 2005, 01:26 PM
I need to get out and mug some old ladies for their pills, so I have something to sell for money to buy the book... >_<

Maybe I'll just go camp out at Hastings and read it there without buying it yet! :D

abunaidesu
13th July 2005, 05:17 PM
I already preordered my copy, going to pick it up at midnight on Friday. :)

Chris Watarimono
14th July 2005, 08:27 AM
Oh Lawwwd! HBP only in

ONE DAY!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! I don't believe it! I don't believe it at all! I can't wait for the book to arrive already! Soon we'll be down to the count by HOURS! And then, the book is HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! XD

Oh, BTW, are you going to do something prior to the release, like go to a release party? I was planning on originally, but all my friends are booked with other things and nonsense, and I can't go out alone. ;_; Poor, poor, me.

-Chris R.

The Decapitated Mole
14th July 2005, 11:13 AM
Well, my friend Chelsea is obsessed with HP, and she said I had to go to the party with her and Steve, so I might as well. Not like I got a whole lot else goin' on, after all. I'm getting excited though, H-pizzle and the Hizzle Blizzle Prizzle comin' atcha.

abunaidesu
14th July 2005, 02:14 PM
a release party for a book? what the fuck?

The Decapitated Mole
14th July 2005, 03:27 PM
The bookstores have been having release parties for harry potter since GoF came out, I'm surprised you didn't know this.

I went to the one for GoF, but Barnes and Noble was ridiculously underprepared for food and drink and I started crying when I found out that I couldn't get the book there[keep in mind I was like 9 or 10]. It was still pretty fun though.

o_0
jimm

homeofmew
14th July 2005, 03:35 PM
November GOF Movie.

Who cares about Harry Pot Head anyway?

Dark Scizor
14th July 2005, 05:42 PM
Quite a lot of people.

Sceptile_Master
14th July 2005, 06:18 PM
I thought it was coming out on the 16th. I might get it in a while. Thing is J.K.Rowling is such a talented writer but needs to get a better grip on the fact that when characters are 16 years old don't act like bloody 7 year olds. 'But, But, professor, this speel doesn't seem to work. It's so not fair.' Guess what, I'm fed up of that already. They all think getting a detention is like soooo bad ass, all the people in the school, even the slitherins who are just chavs in wizard form, are like 'oh my god, a, detention, let's spread it around the whole school.' And reading through the 5th one became a chore sometimes. I mean when I'd just read 150 pages in a row, without stopping of harry's repetitive increasingly paranoid thoughts I felt like I just wanted to clear my head and flush out the shit as it was clouding me from doing what I wanted to do as it drained me. It was a pretty good book but didn't touch on goblet of fire, which was definetely the best book and despite the still pretty cruddy but not as bad in the other book, except for the usual cho chang crap. 'Oh my god it's a like the look of and don't even know, I have butterflies in my stomach.' (he actually said he had butterflies in his stomach on the 5th one). OMF<insert other letters that go with this>G your almost 17, bloody hell. Apart from that though, the goblet of fire was a book I thoughoully (how do you speel that?) enjoyed although now the writing had darkened too much and is getting to heavily focused on voldemort and his followers. Yeah it's an OK thing but it was definetely not what got me liking the series in the beginning.

Let's compare J.K.Rowling to microsoft. In the beginning it was all brilliant and the idea grabbed everyones attention. It then increasingly started to get better. But now she may start to become uncaring of what the series really needs. Just like Internet Explorer now her books are garunteed of selling she'll think she can write any crap down. She started to slip from the orginal greatness with her last book, let's hope it doesn't continue with this one.

I will probably end up getting the book but she should lay a little off on the voldemort's-a-rising thing as it is now what drives the story and in the beginning that's not what we read for. If she does lay off it a bit it may make me want it to just end right now so I can get back to what got me into the series. If the points just given gets worse I probably wont buy the 7th book.

Also on a side note, how long is the book this time?

Chris 2.1
15th July 2005, 10:02 AM
Longer than 4 and shorter than 5 I believe.

I wonder, though - I ordered mine off Amazon. Will it arrive tommorrow or not? If they recieve it tomorrow then they might not deliver it tomorrow. Just wondering.

The Decapitated Mole
15th July 2005, 10:24 AM
I ordered from Amazon and recieved this email a month or so ago:

"Greetings from Amazon.com.

As someone who has pre-ordered Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,
you are probably itching to get your hands on the first copy off the
press. Great news--we are going to make sure you receive your copy(s)
on the day of release, July 16, 2005, guaranteed, at no additional
charge to you!*

You don't have to do a thing--just sit back and wait for the book to
arrive on your doorstep on July 16.

Please be sure that the shipping address selected for this order is a
location where you will be on that Saturday, as this guarantee does
not apply if no one is available to accept delivery."

Huzzah, although I has to wait a bit longer than some people [midnight release and all that], still a great deal.

o_0
jimm

Heald
15th July 2005, 10:41 AM
Just a warning. This is a flagrant spoiler so don't read the sentence below. You have been warned.

I heard a major character dies. Don't have a clue who it might be but lets hope no one dares to reveal it by bolding the letters in a sentence.

Chris Watarimono
15th July 2005, 12:14 PM
As I sneakily avoid the spoiler, I come back in the thread and say:

HBP IN TEN HOURS!!!

Aieeeeeeeeee!!! It's so far, yet so close! It's like I want the book already! Oh my lawwwwwwd! And I might be going to a release party too! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

-Chris R.!!!!

Drusilla
15th July 2005, 12:48 PM
Just a warning. This is a flagrant spoiler so don't read the sentence below. You have been warned.

I heard a major character dies. Don't have a clue who it might be but lets hope no one dares to reveal it by bolding the letters in a sentence.

*gaspx0rz* :O!!!!! HOLY SHIT YOU'RE JOKING!!!

EDIT: sorry o___o;;;

The Decapitated Mole
15th July 2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah, and thanks for quoting it, too, that makes it so much easier to avoid.

o_0
jimm

Tokyo Magnum
15th July 2005, 01:16 PM
*gaspx0rz* :O!!!!! HOLY **** YOU'RE JOKING!!!

EDIT: sorry o___o;;;

Supposedly there's a picture of a part of the book on the net that says this, too.

'Course, if it DOES happen, I hope it actually serves, y'know, a purpose as opposed to the last book's character death.

Chris 2.1
15th July 2005, 02:41 PM
*Looks away* ARRRGH!!! AVERT THINE EYES!

Ok cool so I'll get it delivered tomorrow? I hope my post comes before 8AM cos I'm away for the day....family day trips are annoying (especially when they happen on the one day you get HP6)

RedStarWarrior
15th July 2005, 02:54 PM
Heh...apparently some books were sold early and, in return for not talking about the books, the people who have them will recieve a autographed plaque or something.

Kris
16th July 2005, 02:22 AM
O.k the book is now here!

Where on earth is my postman, its already 8:30! I want the postman here now!!!!!

This topic now contains spoilers so please if you dont want to see them then dont look in here.

Heald
16th July 2005, 07:18 AM
Luna, that spoiler has been posted already (by me no less).

Luna Artemis
16th July 2005, 07:20 AM
I know.

Dark Scizor
16th July 2005, 08:33 AM
And an awesome spoiler it was.

Agent Elrond
16th July 2005, 08:44 AM
*cough* Like THAT's surprising. >.<

Er... truly for me the books have somewhat lost their hold. I could go on and on about this, but I'm short of time and Septile Master pretty much said it all for me.

Jeff
16th July 2005, 02:05 PM

And I seriously hope that no one reveals who the half-blood prince is. ;)

Heald
16th July 2005, 02:25 PM
Hah. I predicted it would be him as soon as the title was mentioned. I win.

Kris
16th July 2005, 06:23 PM
Just finished it!

I actually cried at the end with dumbledores funeral, it was so sad!
And snape, I think everyone was unsure about him!

Heald
16th July 2005, 06:50 PM
Are you saying you spent the entire day reading a book?

Way to piss away £10 or how ever much it cost.

Thy
16th July 2005, 07:29 PM
Are you saying you spent the entire day reading a book?

Way to piss away £10 or how ever much it cost.

What's wrong with reading? It's not like it's a bad thing.

I liked how she tried to insert answers to various questions people always ask, like Teachers first names (Flitwick and Sprout) and who's head of which house, what gender is Blaise Zambini. I do wish she would put in Mark Evans just to throw even more people off. I also wished that the Dursleys were in more of the book. They're there for a couple pages and even then they only speak a few times. Plus what happened to Snape as DADA teacher? You see one class of his and then they never talk about his class again. Snape, possible the most important character in this book (duh, he'e in the title) and they don't mention him at all for half of the book. I also didn't like how they ended the book. No train ride back home where everyone is talking about what is going on and such. The whole ending seemed like the ending to the first Spider-man movie. They're at a grave (Dumbledore) and Peter walks away (Harry) and MJ comes up (Ginny) and Petter tells her that they can't be together in case his enimies go after her. I found it cheesy. Not one of my favorite HP books, which is a disappointment since this is the first I've been eagerly waiting for. It seems like POA is still the top.

The Decapitated Mole
16th July 2005, 09:32 PM
The ending sucked. Period. First of all, no school next time? That's, like, the best part of all the first six. Absolutely ridiculous. R.A.B. is clearly Regulus Black [I realized as soon as I saw it, I was hoping they'd realize it before the ending, but as I said, mucho disappointado endero. Now I don't even want the seventh book to come out, because it's probably gonna really suck. Hope Ginny turns up to hang around with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, though.

Yeah. Basically, one word: DISAPPOINTING.

o_0
jimm

mr_pikachu
16th July 2005, 10:16 PM
...What on earth?!

Okay, one of four things is going on here.

1. I've got a counterfeit book.
2. I've finally lost the last traces of my sanity.
3. Other people are concerned about exactly what I'm posting about.
4. I'm even more naive than I thought I was before.

Anyway, uh... I'll avoid revealing spoilers here if at all possible. I'm nearing 400 pages in, and there are some... erm... things in the book that don't seem quite age-appropriate for at least a portion of this series' intended audience.

Let me be as vague as possible without giving away anything. So far I've seen numerous references to the following things: holistic matters such as God, Heaven and Hell (which, while not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, was certainly not in any of the previous HP books if I remember correctly); at least one minor curse word (the one I remember was "damn"); a lot of speech cut off just before characters would have said something highly objectionable; numerous references to "rude hand gestures"; and a use of a certain "sl-" word that TPM's previous censors routinely smacked aside. Not to mention repeated "snogging" - complete with very visually clear descriptions - and a potential relationship that one has to question for the differences in ages if nothing else. And I'm not even 400 pages in yet.

Now, am I the only one who thinks that this kind of thing is inappropriate to market to people such as, say, the eight-year-old kids who dressed up for the Harry Potter party yesterday? Am I being ridiculous? Am I too old-fashioned? Or does somebody else out there actually agree with me on this one?

Kris
17th July 2005, 03:41 AM
Mr Pikachu feel free to post spoilers here, people have been warned.

I liked the book a lot, and think its a great idea that hes going to branch away from the school. At least it wont be the same type of storyline as the others book. It will now be completely different with Harry finally being of age and being able to perform magic. I cant wait!!

Harry and Ginny, horay! Never been a shipper for them but I loved how she did it, she started the sbtle clues in the last book and built on it in this one. And the way he let her know, it was great! Loved that bit to peices.

Think the relationsip between ron and hermione is growing its now pretty obvious hermione has a thing for ron, but when will he admit his feelings back (If he does have any).

Overall this is definately one of my favourites so far, we found out a lot more of information and it was finally revealed that Draco and Snape are evil. Something that everyone has been wondering since the first book.

I loved the book

Water Pokemon Master
17th July 2005, 03:53 AM
Finished.

Heald
17th July 2005, 04:26 AM
Want a cookie? At least put something worthwhile in your post.

fat man with a monkey
17th July 2005, 05:52 AM
really funny, tina
I actually enjoyed the first book, the seocnd was decent, and the third was good. Then everyone picked them up, and JK Rowling's style seems to have changed, which is something I don't like.

Water Pokemon Master
17th July 2005, 03:38 PM
Want a cookie? At least put something worthwhile in your post.

I did. I finished and you didn't. Worthwhile post to me. ;)

The book is sad. I refuse to believe Dumbledore is dead. Maybe he will come back to life or be a spirit like that Murtle girl in the girl's bathroom. Snape being the 1/2 Blood Prince was sort of surprising, I thought it would be Draco since he hates mud-bloods. Oh well. I hope Snape dies soon.

The Decapitated Mole
17th July 2005, 05:06 PM
XD, you said '1/2 blood prince', what the fuck is wrong with you?! Hahahahahaha!!

o_0
jimm

Heald
17th July 2005, 05:16 PM
'1/2' is a facsimile of 'half' and is one character shorter than 'half' to boot, making it more efficient if you don't mind abbreviating.

The Decapitated Mole
17th July 2005, 06:24 PM
yes, but 1/2 means 'one half', and the book is not titled 'harry potter and the one half of a bood prince', which is what that abbreviation implies.

o_0
jimm

Water Pokemon Master
18th July 2005, 03:45 AM
When I see 1/2, I read it as "half," not "one-half."

Chris 2.1
18th July 2005, 06:08 AM
Anyway...

What was interesting is we never heard Dumbledore's story about his hand. I wonder if this is just to emphasize that we will never understand everything about Dumbledore (Like how Harry wondered, at the funeral, when he learned Mermish).

And wasn't there supposed to be something about Lilly Potter in this book? All I got was Slughorn raped her in a corridor, the way he talked about her o_0;;

In my opinion, a really good book. I would have liked some of the Order to leave some inspiring words to Harry, but then...do they know about the Horcrux's? Apparently not. Tonks and Lupin was funny, but why was Tonks hair colour affecting that she liked Remus? Because she wanted to appear a bit more mature? And her Patronus...pretty sweet.

Fleur definitely made herself out as a strong character at the end, saying she would still love Bill despite his...face. It really was an admirable quality you don't expect in a girl like her.

Overall, yea the end was snipped away (ending at the funeral? Oh well) but...I like how isolated Harry feels after Dumbledore's death. Like he has to rise up and take things on himself. With the only wizard Voldemort ever feared dead...well...I'm worried.

Also, poor Hagrid's hut ;_;

fat man with a monkey
18th July 2005, 06:11 AM
Well, you read it wrong. And why would you refuse to believe Dumbledore is dead? Rowling wants to sell books. By killing off a character, she ensures more people will buy the next book to see what the fuck is going on. Her writing style has changed fromt he first book, to something that seems more commerical than any writer with integrity should write.

Kris
18th July 2005, 12:07 PM
I feel that Harry is now kind of alone in the world, he has lost two of the wizards who looked after him. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next book, what with Hermione and Ron promising to come with him

Heald
18th July 2005, 01:40 PM
So I walked into school today and in the common room - everyone is reading Harry Potter. I swear I was on the brink of donkey-punching every single one of them.

Kris
18th July 2005, 02:54 PM
How come you dont like them reading? Surely its a good thing

Heald
18th July 2005, 03:00 PM
It'd be nice if they were being socialable but no, they get all antsy. Some even had the nerve to read the bloody thing during lessons. I swear, the next person I see reading it will find out what my shoe tastes like.

Katie
18th July 2005, 03:57 PM
rowling you stupid evil bitch *rips pages out of book* BITCH!!!
dumbledore was one of my favorites, harry's going to end up going all emo again with no father figure in the next book. I have extremely high expectations for hp7, and will only forgive this crap if it is totally necessary for a masterpiece plot next time around. ...I mean really, even the way he died could've stayed in character, like looking sadly dissappointed at snape's choice rather than "pleading" :| I also didn't like how all the romance catered to all the stupid shippers out there, they're no doubt having a field day with all this. I can't bring myself to check in any other forums... really half the book felt like I was reading some dumb fanfic. Another thing that bugs me is harry has to find 4 horcruxes + kill voldemort in the next book? *has flashbacks of that jackie chan cartoon* anyway, seems like it'll be awfully rushed, since rowling said ootp was going to be the longest book... ok I think I'm done ranting, may edit with more later.

Magmar
18th July 2005, 04:12 PM
This book was the first that truly ended on a cliffhanger. We don't see Harry, Ron and Hermione leave Hogwarts. Instead, we get Harry dropping out, McGonagall becoming the new Headmistress (leaving Gryffindor run by who, Trelawney? Honestly.) I think the reason Dumbledore showed Harry all of his most important memories is because Dumbledore knew his time was up. Seriously, the guy was ancient, and in every book Harry observes him looking more fiercely geriatric.

It was a slow start to the book. I found the interview with the Minister to be a bit boring.

I liked Harry and Ginny going out and then breaking up. I wouldn't have liked to read Harry Potter and an Orgasm with Ginny for a 7th book... I still feel that Ron and Hermione should NOT go out.

Thing that really bugged me throughout the book--what's up with Hermione? She was 17 in September, shouldn't something special have happened because of her coming of age?? Rather the book never mentions her birthday. She had to wait until she was almost 18 to take Apparition tests? I associated being able to Apparate with being able to drive, you could get your license after being so many years old.

If Harry drops out, I'll stab him in the throat.

If Ron drops out, I'll stab him too.

If Hermione drops out, I'll throw the book at the wall.

Harry can still speak with Dumbledore whenever he wishes. I don't think McGonagall will deny him access to the portrait in her new office. I think Harry really should confide in McGonagall, she seems to be one of the only truly trustworthy people in the entire series, beyond the Weasley parents and Hermione.

I would've liked to see Neville play a bigger role. I thought this was supposed to be a huge deal in this book, how Neville and Harry were both candidates to be the "chosen one". Neville also needs to grow up a LOT. It's about time Rowling used this character to his full potential. Neville was one of the best in Defense Against the Dark Arts. He came the closest to fighting Voldemort with Harry and stuck by his side through the very end. If anybody should be fighting alongside Harry, Neville should be included.

Was that a suggestion of incest, with Tonks liking Sirius Black?? Tonks stopped dying her hair to appear older in front of Lupin. After all, that was the conflict with their relationship, right? Tonks is too young for Lupin.

Kreacher needs to die.

Snape's role in this book was completely opposite of what anyone expected out of him. Who thought he'd kill Dumbledore... I thought the purpose of Dumbledore in the book was to prove to Harry that Snape was indeed a trustworthy character.

Harry was right in this book in the end. I kind of miss the whole "Hermione-told-you-so" quip at the end of every story...

Snape = half blood prince, eh? No it is not 1/2 of a blood prince, that would involve Squilching and that is not a pleasant sensation. But it's a better title than "Harry Potter and Snape," right?

Actually, that means Hermione WAS right... never mind about the previous four sentences.

Ron needs to stick up for himself rather than rely on his brothers for protection.

Fred and George f'ing rock.

Where the hell is Viktor Krum??

And with those parting words, I'm out. Excellent book, second to the 4th if you ask me.

The Decapitated Mole
18th July 2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah. I had actually started to convince myself that Snape was the one who was going to die, by breaking the Unbreakable Vow and killing himself for the Order.

And duh! *smacks forehead*. I completely forgot that there's going to be a portrait of Dumbly Dorr in the office. Of course he's not completely gone!

o_0
jimm

The_Missing_Link
18th July 2005, 10:59 PM
Anyway...

What was interesting is we never heard Dumbledore's story about his hand. I wonder if this is just to emphasize that we will never understand everything about Dumbledore (Like how Harry wondered, at the funeral, when he learned Mermish).

And wasn't there supposed to be something about Lilly Potter in this book? All I got was Slughorn raped her in a corridor, the way he talked about her o_0;;

In my opinion, a really good book. I would have liked some of the Order to leave some inspiring words to Harry, but then...do they know about the Horcrux's? Apparently not. Tonks and Lupin was funny, but why was Tonks hair colour affecting that she liked Remus? Because she wanted to appear a bit more mature? And her Patronus...pretty sweet.

Fleur definitely made herself out as a strong character at the end, saying she would still love Bill despite his...face. It really was an admirable quality you don't expect in a girl like her.

Overall, yea the end was snipped away (ending at the funeral? Oh well) but...I like how isolated Harry feels after Dumbledore's death. Like he has to rise up and take things on himself. With the only wizard Voldemort ever feared dead...well...I'm worried.

Also, poor Hagrid's hut ;_;

I know, I was wondering what the big was about Lilly that we had to know? Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't yet been told of their past jobs and whatnot. Maybe in the last book, perhaps

I believe Tonks looked that way because of two things: Sirius being dead and Remus's rejection of her because of the age difference and what his lifestyle is like. It said in the book her power could be affected by deep shock and sadness and a death of a close relative and rejection of a love one could do that to you. I personally felt that that whole little plotline could've been taken out and the book would still stay the same but I like the two of them so it wasn't a bother

Overall, a little disappointed cause I knew Dumbledore would die and the way the book played out. Felt different and somewhat forced. I was surprised by Snape being the half-blood prince (mostly because I didn't like the fifth book and refused to read it again) and that he killed him. I'm hoping that Snape did that on Dumbledore's orders instead of being pure evil. I don't want to see Alan Rickman that way ;-;

Calaveron
18th July 2005, 11:58 PM
...What on earth?!

Anyway, uh... I'll avoid revealing spoilers here if at all possible. I'm nearing 400 pages in, and there are some... erm... things in the book that don't seem quite age-appropriate for at least a portion of this series' intended audience.

Let me be as vague as possible without giving away anything. So far I've seen numerous references to the following things: holistic matters such as God, Heaven and Hell (which, while not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, was certainly not in any of the previous HP books if I remember correctly); at least one minor curse word (the one I remember was "damn"); a lot of speech cut off just before characters would have said something highly objectionable; numerous references to "rude hand gestures"; and a use of a certain "sl-" word that TPM's previous censors routinely smacked aside. Not to mention repeated "snogging" - complete with very visually clear descriptions - and a potential relationship that one has to question for the differences in ages if nothing else. And I'm not even 400 pages in yet.

Now, am I the only one who thinks that this kind of thing is inappropriate to market to people such as, say, the eight-year-old kids who dressed up for the Harry Potter party yesterday? Am I being ridiculous? Am I too old-fashioned? Or does somebody else out there actually agree with me on this one?

They're TEENAGERS, you know. Stop being such a baby and suck it up.

Kris
19th July 2005, 02:57 AM
Tonks hair changes colour by itself, Im pretty sure of this, to a selection of vibrant colours.

I guessed that because she was depressed her hair wasnt up to its usual 'powers'. And I didnt think it was incest, just she missed her relative amazingly and was depressed he had gone.

I will be interested to see how the Dursleys are this summer...

The Decapitated Mole
19th July 2005, 07:47 AM
No, the hint of incest was suggested when Harry was wondering if maybe she had been in love with Sirius, I believe.

o_0
jimm

Chris 2.1
19th July 2005, 03:07 PM
Oh yes: will Harry go back to Hogwarts again? If he's on his new journey, that is? Surely he could enlist the help of the Order, to help destroy the parts of Voldemorts soul? And what about his new home in Grimmauld Place? Was that mentioned just to sort out a possible plothole, or will Harry's inherited home have any importance? And can he speak to Dumbledore's portrait if he's away destroying stuff?

I also presume Snape's Unbreakable Vow was what forced him to finally reveal himself. He could still be good....remember him and Karkaroff in Book 4? Didn't Karkaroff mention something about Snape's lack of Loyalty to the Dark Lord? And Voldemort only mentioned one member of Staff working for him, which was Crouch Jnr under the masquerade of Moody. Surely if he intended for Harry to die, he'd mention the other one - Snape? Anyway maybe Snape had to put his Unbreakable Vow before the bond he shared with Dumbledore. If he shared one at all.

Hmm I'm getting very inquisitive. I'm going to sift through Book 4 again.

And regarding incest - In Book 5 didn't Sirius say all Pure Bloods are practically inbred? He is distantly related to Molly or something.

Zak
19th July 2005, 08:18 PM
For once I agree with Heald about reading it in a day. Honestly, I got a lot of "ZOMG YOU READ SLOW" over the fact that I got it last Friday (well, actually Saturday, midnight) and still hadn't finished it yesterday.

But I'm finally done with it. It was certainly a lot more relaxed than the last one.

I would guess "Harry Potter and the Horcrux Hunt" for the next book, but usually JKR likes to use titles that we have no idea of the relevance of them until the book is officially out. But I like the sound of that.

Also, this adds on to believing that Harry is going to die in the end.

One last thing though... that JKR said which didn't happen, aside from the Lily thing. Weren't we supposed to find out a few secrets about Aunt Petunia? And whatever happened to Grawp being easier to control?

~Zak

Magmar
19th July 2005, 11:11 PM
Well, this book we never leave Hogwarts. Seeing as how Harry now has a month left to deal with the Dursleys, I assume we have a lot to learn about Aunt Petunia... probably due to Dumbledore's death, Petunia will tell Harry some things she might not willingly speak of otherwise.

Harry will return to Hogwarts. Each book has been titled Year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Why would this not be Year 7? Harry has to do the D.A. now. He'll feel obligated to pursue it, and still keep the name Dumbledore's Army.

McGonagall is going to have an incredible role in maintaining Hogwarts open.

I think in Dumbledore's funeral, we should've seen more of the minor professors. Rowling frequently forgets about Professor Sinistra (Astronomy) and her Wednesday night at 12:00 lessons. Why didn't anybody pursue Astronomy, anyway?? Even Hermione didn't, right? (Cross check that if you will) You'd think being able to navigate by the stars would be handy to a wizard/witch without their wand...

Professor Slughorn will take Snape's place, naturally.

Perhaps Mad-Eye will return to the school to teach D.A.D.A. again.

Or maybe Harry'll teach it.

That would be interesting, for Harry to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, take regular NEWT-level Auror classes and to incorporate a study-group called Dumbledore's Army all in one.

I expect those Slytherins to be EXPELLED.

Maybe Harry'll be Head Boy and Hermione Head Girl.

How do wizards graduate from Hogwarts, anyway?? I was hoping Katie Bell would offer us a little insight.

mr_pikachu
20th July 2005, 02:27 AM
...What on earth?!

They're TEENAGERS, you know. Stop being such a baby and suck it up.

Sorry; I suppose I wasn't clear enough before. My apologies. I wasn't trying to indicate that this isn't what teenagers do. It would be stupid of me to try to make that argument. What I was instead concerned about was whether or not this sort of material is appropriate for the its readers. Specifically, I'm referring to the ages of those who read this book. Frankly, I doubt most parents want their ten-year-old kids reading all about sl--s, snogging, and flipping the bird. (And if anyone thinks that ten-year-olds don't read HP, there's a picture in my local newspaper of two ten-year-olds dressed up and performing a Harry Potter skit at the local bookstore.)

I apologize if I was too vague previously. I merely meant to express my concern about elementary school-age kids reading the things that were in the latest Harry Potter book.

Crazy
28th July 2005, 10:57 PM
I hated how they just killed off Dumbledore,he was my favorate character. I was kind of surprised how Snape just did it like he did. I mean it was so quick and emotionless.It was a good book,if a bit darker. Man I hope Harry opens a can of whoop-ass on Snape.

Chris 2.1
29th July 2005, 08:19 AM
Crazy: Yea but that's exactly how Snape had to kill Dumbledore. Emotionless. He made an Unbreakable Vow to Narcissa Malfoy that he would do what Malfoy could not. Therefore, since Malfoy couldn't kill Dumbledore, Snape had to do it. It was that, or he died himself, and one of the other Death Eaters did it. Didn't Snape say, in 'Spinners End', "I think he intends me to do it in the end?", which sparked Narcissa's anguish that Voldemort was selecting Malfoy to simply get back at Lucius' arrest?

I re-read it, and I'm sure it mentioned Snape showing some sort of frustration, or restraint, or something. If he lingered, he would not only blow his cover among the Death Eaters (by making it look as if he couldn't kill Dumbledore), but probably stop himself.

nightcrow
29th July 2005, 10:09 AM
I didn't like the way JK pulled off the relationships in this book. they seem way too cliche and pushed. in fact, all the drama just seemed way too stale and boring for me. to quote, "well, it seems like JK has been reading too many fanfics!" and honestly, she could have done a much better job than she did.

There has to be a reason that dumbledore finally let snape teach DADA. I have a feeling that snape isn't totally gone to the dark side yet, and if there is a way he could help both draco and harry live while surviving himself, he'd do it. At the same time though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Snape dies in the next book.

Magmar
29th July 2005, 10:45 AM
I have a feeling there's gonna be a LOT of dying in the next book...

Kris
29th July 2005, 11:16 AM
The next book will be interesting. We know that he has 4 horcruxes to find and destroy, which will probably be the main plot. I hope we find out more about Harrys parents, Im sure we were meant to find out something important about Lilly and her sister.

I hope they dont kill Hermione or Ron as that would kind of ruin it for me, and do you think Harry will die? Or will Voldemort die?

The Decapitated Mole
29th July 2005, 12:05 PM
I think Harry will die and Voldemore will take over the world, but nobody will care because all the cool people get killed and get to hang out in the Ghost World behind the curtain.

Hey, it could happen.

I do think harry's going to die, though.

Magmar
29th July 2005, 12:37 PM
If Harry dies, that'll just have to be that. Naturally his scar is a prime candidate to be a horcrux.

If they kill Hermione, I'll throw the book out the window and shan't pick it up again.

I don't see any Weasleys dying anytime soon. Enough bad things have already happened to the family.

nightcrow
29th July 2005, 10:10 PM
Naturally his scar is a prime candidate to be a horcrux.

wow... i never thought of that. come to think of it, that could be the reason why harry could always 'feel' voldemort's emotions... interesting theory :P

Magmar
29th July 2005, 10:35 PM
If you really think about it, his scar fits the description, but wouldn't it be a bit obvious?

There's four more Horcruxes out there. Two are Hogwarts relics (a Slytherin one and a Hufflepuff one, poor Helga), one is the snake that attacked Mr. Weasley. That leaves one open for speculation... but wouldn't the scar be expected?? I think it would be more interesting if the last Horcrux was hidden in #12 Grimmauld Place or something.

Zak
30th July 2005, 03:11 AM
While I do think he's going to die, they could probably find some way to "destroy" it without destroying Harry himself.

But... seriously, if he does die for either being a Horcrux or having one inside him, then that would mean he wouldn't kill Voldie at the same time. He'd have to be dead before Voldie's body is attacked.

Also, "Niether can live while the other survives", looking closely at the way it's worded, doesn't cancel out the fact of them both killing each other.

But the scar might possibly be destroyable without killing Harry. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dumbledore say in the first book that he was only suggesting they let Harry have the scar forever, because it could prove useful? With the whole London Underground reference?
Well, as useful as it is, it's served its purpose.

~Zak

Chris 2.1
30th July 2005, 06:38 AM
I can't see Harry's scar being a Horcrux. It just sounds too...complicated. Perhaps the Portrait of Sirius' Mother is a Horcrux? That may be why it is not able to be taken down - so it can't merely be thrown away and land into the wrong hands (although, Harry owning G.P seems to have made that happen anyway :P). I'm guessing it could be destroyed, but the frame will perhaps still remain intact. Or something.

People thing Godric Gryffindors Sword is a Horcrux, but I'm not sure either. It seems hard to get if it is in Dumbledore's office (sorry, the Headmasters Office), but in Book 2 Lucius Malfoy could have easily alerted Voldemort of where it was, so that it could have been taken perhaps by the imposter Moody, or Snape, or even Malfoy fia the Vanishing Cabinets. Just a thought. But we still have it.

My guess is it will be a Ravenclaw item, and Harry will have Gryffindors Sword or something. Like Harry is representing what Voldemort doesn't have. Or something.

I also believe (forgive me if everyone worked this out) that Wormtail will probably help Harry out in Book 7. That unpaid debt Dumbledore mentioned. "There will come a time, Harry, when you are glad you saved Wormtail's life." Perhaps he reveals locations of some Horcruxes, or even works against Voldemort (I don't know how exactly).

And what does anyone think about Fawkes? He left at the end of "The Phoenix Lament" but...why? I thought he might become Harry's. Just a thought. But JK said herself, Fawkes has always been Dumbedores, as he has never been in any Pensieve memories of the Headmasters Office (like when Prof Dippett was headteacher)

Magmar
1st August 2005, 12:06 AM
The Horcrux would have to have been made before Voldemort's initial "death", meaning that the Sword is out of the question. Anything in Hogwarts is not a Horcrux.

Something might happen when the four House Artifacts are gathered together... the Holy Grail might appear and Harry will become Super Sailor Harry and ...

never mind.

Kris
1st August 2005, 06:43 AM
Yeah you could have the right idea though, when the 4 items are brought together something could happen. We just dont know what!

Sceptile_Master
1st August 2005, 07:29 AM
My mum just came back from ASDA and had randomly bought me the book. It was quite a surprise (at leats I didn't have to buy it, yay). Anyhoo I've just went ahead and read the first 3 chapters of it. It's looks quite interesting so far. Hopefully it will be better than OoP.

Magmar
1st August 2005, 09:35 AM
That would be interesting if the ghosts of the Heads of Houses all appeared and gave Harry some magical power that would enable him to conquer Voldemort very easily... kind of like the Oni Link mask in that Zelda game.

Chris 2.1
1st August 2005, 09:46 AM
Nice Idea. I wonder if there Heads of Houses stayed as ghosts? Or if they went to the afterlife. If it was the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if we heard of the descendants of the other house heads (Ie: Voldemort was Slytherins descendant) were revealled. *Thinks of Neville as Gryffindor Descendant) hehe.

Magmar
1st August 2005, 11:31 AM
Well that might be why they seem to focus on one Ravenclaw and one Hufflepuff. Ernie Macmillan and Luna Lovegood might be the descendants... and there were 7 Weasleys in Gryffindor, maybe they're direct descendants? Even the parent Weasleys went to Gryffindor... as for Slytherin, it's blatantly obvious.

Kris
1st August 2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah it would be good to find out who the descendants were of the other houses.

And I think the idea of 'when the four parts come together then a great power / thing will happen'. Seems the kind of thing to happen

Magmar
1st August 2005, 01:57 PM
yeah, because the last time the four parts came together, we got a sorting hat.

...sorting hat, hmm...

Agent Elrond
1st August 2005, 07:39 PM
Finished it... finally. God I'm late.

To be honest I'm rather under-whelmed. The writing was mediocre, with small flecks of good stuff here and there. Bascially, I think Rowling has lost her spark, and is just toiling towards the end of her contract. (It's been what, almost ten years now?)

Hmm mmm. Yup. Now I'm starting a fanfic crossover of the seventh book. I might post it (in fanfiction) here when it's rolling.

Oh yeah, and this is how I see Voldemort dying. (http://www.deviantart.com/view/21044895/) :)

Outlaw JT
1st August 2005, 09:10 PM
Personally, I like the books taking a darker turn.

I have so many opinions about the story based on HBP now. First, I don't recall who but someone said the book confirms that Snape and Draco are evil. I don't think it confirms either. In fact, I think it pretty obviously shows that Draco isn't truly evil. Now I do believe Snape to not be entirely evil and I have a theory about why Dumbledore trusted him so implicitly. The reason given in HBP cannot, and it seems obvious to me, be the reason why Dumbledore trusted Snape. If you want my opinion someone else had it right that Dumbledore knew his time was up. I think he also knew that it would be Snape that would do him in. And I think the reason he kept Snape around was because he wanted him to set Harry off when Harry saw the deed. I mean, do you remember how much Snape kept pushing Harry at the end? He could've ended it in a heartbeat and left Harry immobolized but he kept pushing and telling Potter off on all the things he wasn't good enough at. I believe Snape was setting himself up as a final test for Harry on behalf of Dumbledore (whether he's aware of it or not). So that Harry knew he would have to overcome these shortcomings to defeat Snape before he would finally be able to challenge Voldemort.

As to the Horcruxes........ Someone said there was no way one was in Hogwarts and I think they are completely wrong. I think one of them is definately in Hogwarts and it is what is going to bring Harry back there for year 7. Think about where the other Horcruxes we know of or suspect are. Harry's parents home (suspected, not known), the place of his greatest defeat. With Lucius Malfoy, at the time of giving one of his most trusted and powerful supporters. The Gaunt's shack, home of his origin. The cave by the seashore, the first place he gained a taste for abusing his magical prowess. All of them are places of great importance to Voldemort. Now consider how important Hogwart's is to him..... the place where he truly discovered himself and came into his abilities. Also consider that Voldemort desperately wanted to get back into Hogwarts as a teacher and Dumbledore very blatantly confirmed that he did not want to get back in to teach. If not to teach than what for? I say he wanted to get back in to reclaim one of the Horcruxes pieces he stowed there before graduating.

Magmar
2nd August 2005, 10:31 AM
The question is--when did Voldemort actually make the Horcruxes? After Harry's curse or before??

Chris 2.1
2nd August 2005, 02:57 PM
But when would Voldemort have been at Hogwarts to select and create the Horcrux? Voldemort wanted to remain at Hogwarts once he finished 7th Year, but it wasn't permitted - instead, he came back a few years later to try and get the DADA job. When that was refused, he cursed the job, and IIRC was never at Hogwarts again.

Then again, a Horcrux could be PLACED in Hogwarts. But would Harry have time destroying fragments of Voldemorts soul if he was at school? I think if Harry chose to go to Hogwarts, he would go to do his final year. Surely his in-and-out-of-school act, if he pursued it, would just get even more ridicule of how Harry is the "favourite student", and is more privelaged than anyone else?

Kris
2nd August 2005, 04:41 PM
But one was at the school, riddles diary! Unless Ginny found it out of school? Did she?

I really want the new book to come out now!

Outlaw JT
2nd August 2005, 05:49 PM
But one was at the school, riddles diary! Unless Ginny found it out of school? Did she?

I really want the new book to come out now!

Lucius Malfoy slipped the diary among Ginny's books at Diagon Alley. And I never said he made the Horcrux at Hogwarts, Chris 2.0. I believe he stored it there in his final year.

Kris
3rd August 2005, 07:14 AM
^ Fair enough! Wasnt sure if I was right about that one.

It does come down to, at what point in his life did he make the horcruxes?

Chris 2.1
4th August 2005, 08:50 AM
Voldemort killed Hepzibah and stole her locket and cup when he had left school and working for Borgin and Burkes. We know he stole them because he was a collector of sorts, but we don't know if he stole them with the specific intention to use them as Horcruxes. Although killing Hepzibah was a significent death - one of the things needed for a Horcrux....so, it could be then.

Kris
4th August 2005, 09:45 AM
Its a good idea.

Also thought about the locket thats at 12 grimmauld place that no on could open. Maybe that has something to do with this

Magmar
4th August 2005, 11:39 AM
Well there's always the offshot that Malfoy had the Horcrux and that's what he gave to the guy in Diagon Alley (the thing Hermione spied on) but then again I'm really tired and that may have been plot-crucial. I just don't remember right now.

But Malfoy could EASILY place a horcrux in Hogwarts... Room of Requirement much?

PS100
4th August 2005, 12:19 PM
There are only two Horcruxes left, I think.

Keep in mind that:

1) The real Slytherin Horcrux was taken by RAB (who I would assume is Regulus Black), who left a note saying that he hoped that he had weakened Voldemort enough for someone to kill him. I would guess that this means he destroyed it, because as Harry proved in CoS, it's not exactly difficult, once you find it.

2) Dumbledore said that Voldemort would make Horcruxes when something particularly important happened in his life. Obviously, destroying the boy who was destined to either murder or be murdered by Voldemort would be very important. I think that Voldemort was going to wait until after he killed Harry to create the final Horcrux, because that event in his life would be far more important than anything else, with the exception of his acceptance to Hogwarts.

Which means, if we count out those two, the diary, and the Horcrux Dumbledore destroyed, that we have three left: Hufflepuff's cup, Nagini, and the little sliver of soul that still resides in Voldemort's body. Harry will really only have to look for the cup, because wherever Voldemort is, Nagini is close by.

PS

Kris
4th August 2005, 01:16 PM
What makes everyone think nagini is a horcrux? I think ive missed something here!

Magmar
4th August 2005, 01:29 PM
Dumbledore said Nagini's a horcrux, so that in general means it's true.

Wait--Regulus Black, eh? Is he still alive?? And if so, why didn't he inherit Grimmauld Place??

Voldemort's intention was to kill Harry Potter in order to fulfill the prophecy he heard from Trelawney. However it backfired because he killed Harry AFTER his parents, so the curse backfired and destroyed Voldemort. I believe what remained of him, that ugly little maggoty fetus thing, may have been a Horcrux... the 7th piece of soul... that became Voldemort at the ritual in GoF.

Kris
4th August 2005, 01:32 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the next book.

I missed the nagini bit!

Chris 2.1
4th August 2005, 04:59 PM
After re-reading some of OOTP, Sirius explained how Regulus was a Death Eater, but started to chicken out and tried to quit the Death Eaters. Voldemort killed him personally.

This seems to suggest more than ever that it was Regulus who got the original Horcrux. Which means it could be destroyed, or it could even still remain in Grimmauld Place. The note Regulus left seemed to suggest he loathed and liked Voldemort, so I'm not all convinced he would destroy it. Just keep it safe, and have some leverage over him.

PS100
4th August 2005, 06:35 PM
Wait--Regulus Black, eh? Is he still alive?? And if so, why didn't he inherit Grimmauld Place??

Voldemort's intention was to kill Harry Potter in order to fulfill the prophecy he heard from Trelawney. However it backfired because he killed Harry AFTER his parents, so the curse backfired and destroyed Voldemort. I believe what remained of him, that ugly little maggoty fetus thing, may have been a Horcrux... the 7th piece of soul... that became Voldemort at the ritual in GoF.

Regulus isn't alive, but I don't think that he'd "keep it safe" for Voldemort -- coward or not, there was a reason he wanted to quit, and if he wanted to force Voldemort into allowing him to quit, he'd steal it, destroy the Horcrux in hopes that it'd weaken Voldemort, and either claim to have the real one still even though it was a fake, or replace it immediately.

As for killing Harry, it is true that he wanted to kill Harry because of the prophecy, but it was probably the biggest moment in his life, and he wanted to create the final Horcrux to represent that. But when the curse backfired, he never had the chance. (Unless, of course, the "scar Horcrux" theory is true.)

Voldemort was the maggoty fetus thing because Wormtail had been feeding him a potion made from... Nagini's venom, and probably a few other magically healing ingredients. The fragment of his soul was strengthened until the point when it has a semi-physical form by the potion; hence, the fetus thing.

PS

Magmar
5th August 2005, 12:35 AM
So then which horcrux did he get the fragment of soul from, do you suppose?

I guess that's why Dumbledore suggested there being 6 Horcruxes. (Shouldn't it be Horcruces, by the way?) The 7th Horcrux had to be used to revive Voldemort...

...wait, what did they put in the container thing to revive Voldemort? I don't have the 4th book on hand.

Agent Elrond
5th August 2005, 08:10 AM
Blood (from Harry) Bone (from Voldy's father) and Flesh (from poor li'l wormtail). That's IIRC.

Of course, we don't know that Voldy only made seven horcruxes (six if you don't count his body as one)... he could have made nine (that's another powerfully magic number, as anyone who's read Lord of the Rings can tell you).

*shrugs*

Magmar
5th August 2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but what are the odds that Rowling is going to suddenly decide to have 9 Horcruxes after Dumbledore insisted that Voldemort was obsessed with the number 7?

Kris
5th August 2005, 12:21 PM
O.k lets see the 7 horcruxes..

1. The book
2. Nagini
3. Himself
4. The locket
5. The slytherine (i cant spell) thing, I cant remember what it was.

And we dont know what the others are, right?

Chris Watarimono
5th August 2005, 02:11 PM
Actually, the Locket is the Slytherin hierloom with one of the Horcruxes. Don't forget Hufflepuff's cup too, so that leaves six. The seventh one is said to be either something of Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, or in my hypothesis, something that was conceived from both. After all, purple is a magical color in Harry Potter.

Wow, I still can't believe this thread is still live and running after all this time. XD As far as HBP is concerned, I was a tad disappointed in some parts of the novel to tell the truth, namely the hastily done parings and too much focus on the Gryffindor elites, but I must say it was an entertaining ride all the same. I really like the greyness in Snape now with his HBP status and how the OOTP was able to cleverly set us up for HBP (one novel where Harry was proven wrong...only to be proven right, at least for the most part).

-Chris R.

PS100
5th August 2005, 02:31 PM
So then which horcrux did he get the fragment of soul from, do you suppose?

I guess that's why Dumbledore suggested there being 6 Horcruxes. (Shouldn't it be Horcruces, by the way?) The 7th Horcrux had to be used to revive Voldemort...

...wait, what did they put in the container thing to revive Voldemort? I don't have the 4th book on hand.

The final soul fragment was the one left in Voldemort's body. It wasn't a Horcrux, it was what was left of his soul after so many Horcruxes being split off.

And yes, that's why Dumbledore said there were only 6.

PS

Zak
5th August 2005, 05:01 PM
For some reason I have a feeling she's going to give a little plot twist, and Dumbledore just MIGHT have been wrong about one of the Horcruxes he assumed. Or quite possibly, might even have the whole "Items representing each house" thing wrong, considering they don't know what two of them are.

~Zak

Kris
5th August 2005, 05:36 PM
I just cant accept that Dumbledore was wrong about Snape, there has got to be more to that

Crazy
5th August 2005, 06:17 PM
Arg,I be having to argee with ya there Kris,there must be more. ARG AGAIN!

Magmar
5th August 2005, 11:25 PM
I've a feeling loyalties come second to unbreakable vows.

Chris 2.1
6th August 2005, 07:01 AM
I visited a website that really did convince me Dumbledore is alive. I won't bother with every detail, but these are the basics:

-When most people are hit with Avada Kedavra, they slump into the ground instantly. Dumbledore, meanwhile, was thrown upwards and down the side of the castle. It is possible Snape used a silent spell to disguise what he really was doing.

-Bellatrix told Harry in OOPT that "You can't use an Unforgiveable if you don't mean it." If Snape was indeed loyal to Dumbledore, and had to adhere to the unbreakable vow, then would he have the power to kill Dumbledore? If not, his attack could simply injure Dumbledore.

-At the funeral, Dumbledore was wrapped up. We did not see his body.

-When the body was laid down, it burst into flame without anybody using a spell. Could it have been Fawkes inside the cloths that burst into flame? Harry did mention something like that....or something.

-If Dumbledore was simply injured by the curse, then Fawkes Lament during the whole chapter could have been healing them, since their tears have healing powers. Madem Pomfrey was the one who at once recognized the phoenix song...could it be that, as a healer, she knew Fawkes was crying to help Dumbledore? (Not so sure on this one).

-Snape faking to kill Dumbledore may have been what their argument was about, in which Snape said he wouldn't do it.

-By doing this Dumbledore could have lured Voldemort into a false sense of security.

This is all off a website so...discuss. I'm 50% convinced myself. There are more. I think it's Dumbledoresnotdead.com or something.

Kris
6th August 2005, 05:40 PM
I think DD is dead but that snape isnt evil as it was all planned.

Just something says snape cant be truely evil

Magmar
9th August 2005, 03:13 PM
Snape is a good Christian boy!

Kris
10th August 2005, 12:09 PM
What?

Magmar
11th August 2005, 06:21 AM
He says a rosary twice a day and always eats his vegetables. Praise the Lord!

Kris
12th August 2005, 04:05 AM
Umm what has this got to do with harry potter?

Heald
12th August 2005, 04:11 AM
Wasn't the Unbreakable Curse that Snape had to help Draco kill Dumbledore while Draco was still at Hogwarts? If Dumbledore isn't dead and Draco has been expelled then surely Snape would've died by now.

Kris
12th August 2005, 06:35 PM
I thought the curse was just to protect Draco, which he has done as Draco has not been hurt

The Blue Avenger
12th August 2005, 07:04 PM
If I recall correctly, the Unbreakable Curse was made so that Snape would help Draco if he failed his task. They never specified which task. So it's not necessarily limited to killing Dumbledore.

Kris
13th August 2005, 04:05 AM
heres the unbreakable curse, as from the book...

'Will you severus, watch over my son Draco as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lords wishes?'
'And will you to the best of your ability protect him from harm'
'And should it prove necessary ... if it seems Draco will fail will you carry out the deed that the dark lord has ordered draco to perform?'

So there ya go

Katie
17th August 2005, 10:49 PM
^^^ lol it sounds like he's getting married

on topic, I learned I'm a gigantic dork today. in english class we read excerpts from the 4th hp book and had to point out "archetypes" or something... and when I finished reading the lil excerpt I knew exactly what the sentence following what was actually written there said. :( it ended with harry's scar hurting, and wondered if he should write to ron/hermione. and I knew what happened next was harry assuming hermione would suggest to write to dumbledore and in the meantime consult a book. I haven't even read hp4 in forever. halp I'm obsessed. :(

Magmar
18th August 2005, 12:32 AM
LOL @ Katie, that's okay!

You know, I really think Snape had to choose between killing Dumbledore and dying himself. If Snape chose to die himself by not killing Dumbledore, one of the other Death Eaters would've killed Dumby and then there'd be two missing Order members...

Sceptile_Master
19th August 2005, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't count on snape being an order member anyways anymore.

Metallixs Girl
12th September 2005, 01:18 PM
I just finished the book and I liked it even though it is darker. I just have a few quick things to ask:

They stressed that Apperation wasn't allowed anywhere exept the Great Hall for the time of their lesson. If that is so, how in the world have the houseelves been able to Apperate all over school for six years?!

Who is older, Bill or Charlie Weasley. Why on earth was Bill even in school? Unless I'm severely mistaken, I thought Charlie was the oldest and that he, Bill, and Percy were all out of Hogwarts? They'd have to be because aren't the twins at least 17 by now?

Also, I can't remember who said it first but I agree with whoever said #6 seemed a little strong for the kid audience. As I was reading, I figured that violence allone would warrent a PG-13 movie, but it'll deffinately get that if they add in the other stuff.

Zak
12th September 2005, 01:57 PM
If anything, 5 was dodgier than 6 for kid audience.

And... Bill is older than Charlie. Charlie was at Hogwarts the year before Harry started his first year, as it has been stated that Harry replaced Charlie as Gryffindor Seeker.

~Zak

Metallixs Girl
12th September 2005, 10:01 PM

And... Bill is older than Charlie. Charlie was at Hogwarts the year before Harry started his first year, as it has been stated that Harry replaced Charlie as Gryffindor Seeker.

~Zak

Oh ok, Bill is the oldest, and Charlie graduated? So why was Bill there during the Dark Mark scene?

mr_pikachu
12th September 2005, 10:32 PM

In what way? There was plenty of violence in both; I'd rate them about the same in that. 5 had a "wet kiss"... because Cho was crying. In 6 we progressed to vertical wrestling matches in addition to language that I would never have expected to have seen in Harry Potter. (See the word "sl**" on page 365. And yes, I memorized the page number for easier referencing during debates on the issue. So sue me.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how the material in book five was worse (or heck, even close to) the somewhat more mature elements of six. Would you mind elaborating?

Zak
13th September 2005, 01:00 AM
Oh ok, Bill is the oldest, and Charlie graduated? So why was Bill there during the Dark Mark scene?

The Dark Mark scene didn't take place at Hogwarts. It was at the Quidditch Stadium, right after the World Cup.

In what way? There was plenty of violence in both; I'd rate them about the same in that. 5 had a "wet kiss"... because Cho was crying. In 6 we progressed to vertical wrestling matches in addition to language that I would never have expected to have seen in Harry Potter. (See the word "sl**" on page 365. And yes, I memorized the page number for easier referencing during debates on the issue. So sue me.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how the material in book five was worse (or heck, even close to) the somewhat more mature elements of six. Would you mind elaborating?

Okay... in terms of sexuality, maybe six was dodgier.

Action and violence, however, took place mainly in OotP. This book was a lot more relaxed and easygoing. Six may have had more dirty (but I'd barely call that any, even if it was more than five), but five was definately... creepier.
The chains of events in book five would definately be more likely to give an eight-year-old nightmares than anything in six is. Plus, depending on how emotional one may be, five definately would grip you more.
In the course of book six, it just seemed like a normal year at Hogwarts like in the first three books.

~Zak

Metallixs Girl
13th September 2005, 03:54 PM
The Dark Mark scene didn't take place at Hogwarts. It was at the Quidditch Stadium, right after the World Cup.

Huh? I just finished the book but maybe I missed something... Harry snuck out of the castle to go with Dumbledore and when they got back the Mark was on the astronomy tower? Did they leave directly after the match? I don't remember that part........

Zak
13th September 2005, 04:25 PM
Oh... my bad, thought you meant the fourth book. I was thinking of the chapter "The Dark Mark" ^^;

Anyway... the whole Weasley family came then, to rescue Ron and co. I'd imagine that while Ginny was sharing the Felix (which helped most of them dodge everything), Bill happened to have an encounter with Fenrir.

~Zak

mr_pikachu
13th September 2005, 06:09 PM
Action and violence, however, took place mainly in OotP. This book was a lot more relaxed and easygoing. Six may have had more dirty (but I'd barely call that any, even if it was more than five), but five was definately... creepier.
The chains of events in book five would definately be more likely to give an eight-year-old nightmares than anything in six is. Plus, depending on how emotional one may be, five definately would grip you more.
In the course of book six, it just seemed like a normal year at Hogwarts like in the first three books.

You've certainly listed some good points about the violence and intensity of five. However, six had its share, as well. Harry practically ripped Draco to shreds with the spell from the book (splattering blood everywhere, if I recall correctly) and Dumbledore, the hero who successfully defended Harry from an attack by Voldemort, was executed by Snape and his associates. Those are just two examples. The gore of the first one was especially harsh, I thought. Plus, Voldemort split his soul into a bunch of pieces to become more powerful, which is one of the freakiest things I've seen in the Harry Potter series. And again, book six featured other elements that weren't in previous books, like the profanities of which I previously wrote.

I suppose it's a judgment call as to which was worse, looking at your points in comparison to mine. In my opinion, six was still worse, but I can see your point of view. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Kris
13th September 2005, 06:34 PM
|Bill was there with the order to help the fight.

Crazy
13th September 2005, 06:51 PM
Yes, I have to agree with mr._pikachu. I also believe that the sixth book was a little bit dodgier. I mean,just the fact that Voldermort split his soul was enough to call it darker.

Magmar
21st September 2005, 10:51 PM
What makes them "worse"? It's just more mature, as Harry and his friends grow up, naturally the readers grow up as well...

I don't think adding violence to a war is making the story worse.

Worse is the descriptive adjective when comparing something that was "Bad" to begin with.

So you're saying the books went from bad to worse?

Please, children hear those words everyday. And I don't see anything besides sex and an occasional flipped bird. But what's so inherintly bad about it anyway? (I mauled the spelling of inherantly, or however you spell it.) If a child is too young to be reading the book, the person reading the book to the child (parent, most likely) can EASILY omit the word SLUT (yes I said it SLUT!!!!!!) from the book.

mr_pikachu
29th September 2005, 01:28 AM
Well, before this topic dies, how about some theories on what influence HBP will have on the ending?

I think the idea of the horcruxes themselves will have a huge impact on the ending, and I'm talking beyond what'll obviously have to happen. I've got a theory on how the series will end, and the whole thing centers around the horcruxes that were introduced in the second-to-last installment.

There's been a bunch of debating on what the horcruxes might be, but we all know that they'll have to be destroyed/drained/whatever if Voldemort is to be defeated. But what if one of the horcruxes was something that none of the "good guys" would ever, ever want to destroy?

Actually, that question would be better explained if I said "someone".

Here's the idea. Harry destroys all the horcruxes but one. He's searching around, trying to find clues, perhaps thinking about something Voldemort or the Death Eaters said to use as a clue, when the scar on his forehead starts to hurt again. And he realizes it. It's like the devastating ending of The Black Cauldron. In order to destroy Voldemort, he's got to destroy the last horcrux... which is him.

Obviously, if I happen to be right, Rowling's going to have a lot fewer fans after book seven than before it. But it'd be an interesting and probably largely unexpected way to close the book on Harry Potter. In more ways than one.

Thoughts? Alternative theories? Anything?

Chris 2.1
29th September 2005, 07:14 AM
But then there is the problem that Harry would need to kill himself before he kills Voldemort. That might be difficult. It wouldn't feel the same if he did all the work, and then someone else finished Voldy off.

I have a question which is related to the entire HP Books. Something I wondered when I was re-reading Book 4. When Voldemort tried to kill Harry, and he was hit by the curse himself, what happened to his wand? He got it given back to him by Wormtail, I believe, but how did he get it? Surely Ministry Wizards would have snapped it when they found him.

mr_pikachu
29th September 2005, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me, so I can't say for certain. I think it may have been something along the lines of "The Ministry of Magic can't find everything, haha, pwned," or something along those same lines (that is, of the Ministry being incompetent, which is probably true). But I'm not sure, since I can't look it up.

About the theory, I suppose the second step would be to find a suitable replacement to kill Voldemort. I was considering Ginny, since that's the first real love interest that's been sparked with Harry. (I'm not counting Cho; she was clearly on the rebound, and I'm not sure Harry really liked her that much. Heck, Cho cried about Cedric straight through their first kiss!) Other alternatives could be Ron or Hermione, for obvious reasons. If one of them ends up biting the dust a la Dumbledore during the horcrux hunts, then perhaps whoever is left would be the reasonable alternative.

As I said, though, it's only a theory. Frankly, Rowling will probably let Harry live, just so she can sleep without worrying about some crazed fan stabbing her in the night. Or kidnapping her and forcing her to bring Harry back in another book. (I saw that last one in a movie at some point, but I can't remember the title.) That and the whole popularity thing. I just think it'd be interesting.

The Decapitated Mole
29th September 2005, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, the flaw in that theory is that Voldemort was intending to kill Harry, which would make it pretty foolish to make him the horcrux, and as voldemort was nearly destroyed when he tried to kill Harry, he would have been unable to create a horcrux within him. I still think she's going to kill off Harry, and I wouldn't mind that too much, but if she kills Ron or Hermione I'm going to be pretty pissed. :P

As to the story of Voldemort's wand.. who knows? Maybe he posessed some animal or wizard and was able to get it to some place of hiding so he could wait until he was able to hold a wand again, maybe there was no thorough search of the house and it was just left there, maybe one of the ministry wizards found it and kept it as a souvenir. It's never explained, and I'm pretty sure of that because I'm halfway through book 5 right now after deciding to re-read the entire series a little while ago, and I can't remember seeing anything like that.. Ah well.

o_0
jimm

Weasel Overlord
29th September 2005, 05:27 PM
Ah, I did enjoy that book...muttermutterreaditinthreehoursmutter...I know! ¬¬ I'm a freak...thanks for noticing...

Anyway, why haven't there been more discussions on whether Snape is really evil??? *can't believe nasty things of Alan Rickman* Like, in depth analysis of his exact words and their meanings! I believe I espied something mentioning the Unbreakable Vow...in 'Spinner's Lane', he hesitates before finalising the vow, as if he didn't want to have to kill Dumbly...and... gah! I'm bored of this argument now...

For his wand, wouldn't Pettigrew have gone back for it? Oh wait, he ran like a coward, didn't he? Never mind about that then...

I love the theory that Harry would have to kill himself...it's just so dramatic and tragic! Although, I think she's had him being the tragic hero too much...he has no guardians left, after all...*sob* poor Sirius...and I think the fans would be SO vengeful...there'd be 10 year olds growing up with this utter hatred for Rowling until she found them hiding under her stairs one day, brandishing sharpened copies of book 7...
anyone read Stephen King's Dark Tower? The ending for that is so freaking awful...its ACE in literary terms, but for the casual reader, its HELL! At the end he mentioned how much hate mail he's gonna get...I think it'd be the same for Rowling.

I still nurse a grudge against her for killing Sirius...*cradles rocket launcher* Soon my pretty...soon...

Another point before I glide away...its gonna be TWO YEARS BEFORE BOOK 7 IS OUT!! Oh mY God!! Is anyone else having withdrawal symptoms about that??

mr_pikachu
29th September 2005, 07:00 PM
No, I've never read the Dark Tower series. I've heard it's good, though.

And it's going to be two years? Where'd you hear that?

Zak
29th September 2005, 07:10 PM
Only two years?

I'd have expected a lot later, especially with her baby now. The wait for the 5th book, I believe was four years. Two years is nothing, now it seems like only yesterday when I was getting the 5th book.

~Zak

Weasel Overlord
30th September 2005, 05:38 AM
It was on some site...I can't remember which...and I know, two years isn't that bad when there was a gap of about five between each of the Dark Tower books...I just keep going back to them, don't I???

It wasn't four years for book five was it? Woah...surely not...I thought it was about two (ish)...

Magmar
30th September 2005, 12:54 PM
Why would Snape end up being good? I thought Harry was the hero. This world seems to revolve around Harry an awful lot..

Systematic Revolution
1st October 2005, 11:44 AM
If Harry dies, that'll just have to be that. Naturally his scar is a prime candidate to be a horcrux

Thank you! I brought this theory up to my mom when she finished the book several weeks ago. I think it's a definite possibility. But what about the invisibility cloak?

If that's already been brought up, sorry. I'll read the rest of the topic now...

Weasel Overlord
1st October 2005, 12:03 PM
I don't think that Harry's scar can be a Horcrux...they're made when Voldy does an important killing, although he had just killed Lily and James...

Maybe he wanted to make Harry the final one, but he didn't end up killing him, the curse rebounded on himself instead, so foiling his plans for the final Horcrux...

Systematic Revolution
1st October 2005, 12:15 PM
I visited a website that really did convince me Dumbledore is alive. I won't bother with every detail, but these are the basics:

-When most people are hit with Avada Kedavra, they slump into the ground instantly. Dumbledore, meanwhile, was thrown upwards and down the side of the castle. It is possible Snape used a silent spell to disguise what he really was doing.

-Bellatrix told Harry in OOPT that "You can't use an Unforgiveable if you don't mean it." If Snape was indeed loyal to Dumbledore, and had to adhere to the unbreakable vow, then would he have the power to kill Dumbledore? If not, his attack could simply injure Dumbledore.

-At the funeral, Dumbledore was wrapped up. We did not see his body.

-When the body was laid down, it burst into flame without anybody using a spell. Could it have been Fawkes inside the cloths that burst into flame? Harry did mention something like that....or something.

-If Dumbledore was simply injured by the curse, then Fawkes Lament during the whole chapter could have been healing them, since their tears have healing powers. Madem Pomfrey was the one who at once recognized the phoenix song...could it be that, as a healer, she knew Fawkes was crying to help Dumbledore? (Not so sure on this one).

-Snape faking to kill Dumbledore may have been what their argument was about, in which Snape said he wouldn't do it.

-By doing this Dumbledore could have lured Voldemort into a false sense of security.

This is all off a website so...discuss. I'm 50% convinced myself. There are more. I think it's Dumbledoresnotdead.com or something.

What's sad is that I would LOVE to denounce this theory, but I find myself unable to do so...

If I'm not mistaken, Fawkes can do a teleportation type thing, the result of which are flames... Well if Dumbledore really ISN'T dead, it would be logical to assume that Fawkes transported him elsewhere.. Very interesting theory. Not ENTIRELY ridiculous...

Zak
1st October 2005, 12:24 PM
That, and I can't believe that person forgot to mention the fact that Fawkes isn't dead. At least, he didn't seem to be for the last couple chapters, and I don't remember him dying after singing the lament.
But the point is, in Fantastic Beasts, it's mentioned that a phoenix only dies when it's owner dies. And Fawkes isn't dead yet. Hm.

~Zak

Weasel Overlord
1st October 2005, 12:44 PM
I remember reading that...hrrm...although, if Dumbly wasn't dead, then why would his portrait be in the Headmaster's office?? Unless it's just a ploy...hrrm...what an interesting theory!

Systematic Revolution
1st October 2005, 12:59 PM
I remember reading that...hrrm...although, if Dumbly wasn't dead, then why would his portrait be in the Headmaster's office?? Unless it's just a ploy...hrrm...what an interesting theory!

There are several flaws to the theory... I just read the entire site. It's pretty convincing, but I'm still not entirely sure. It could be that Dumbledore resigned his position prior to the night's events, therefore making McGonagal the headmistress. The books never said that the headmaster/mistress had to DIE for the second-in-command to take over.

But I don't know. It's definitely a substantial theory. It's not all stretching and pure speculation like the Black theories were. There wasn't, to my knowledge, any REAL evidence that suggested Black didn't die. But there is quite a bit of evidence suggesting that Dumbledore could still be alive.

Only JK Rowling knows, though...

Systematic Revolution
1st October 2005, 01:00 PM
That, and I can't believe that person forgot to mention the fact that Fawkes isn't dead. At least, he didn't seem to be for the last couple chapters, and I don't remember him dying after singing the lament.
But the point is, in Fantastic Beasts, it's mentioned that a phoenix only dies when it's owner dies. And Fawkes isn't dead yet. Hm.

Damn, you could DEFINITELY have something there. We don't know that Fawkes is dead.. hmm...

Weasel Overlord
1st October 2005, 01:03 PM
Poor fooly Harry! If only he'd have looked in the mirror he'd never had believed smelly Kreacher and Sirius wouldn't have died....*sob* Bloody Rowling! *shakes fist* Always slaughtering my favourite characters!!

I dunno though...it's all a bit wishful thinking, really...

Systematic Revolution
1st October 2005, 01:30 PM
I'm just glad that this person didn't start with the "Oh *insert name here said *insert irrelevant phrase here* so Dumbledore IS still alive!"

Which was the jist of the Black theories.

Chris 2.1
1st October 2005, 02:21 PM
I'm just plucking something from my brain here, and not thinking all too much, but the thing about phoenix' dying when their owners does sparked some intrigue.

Fawkes wasnt in the hospital wing during "The Phoenix Lament" so is it possible Fawkes died, bursting into flames somewhere else in the Castle? Unless it was seen in the funeral...

Because Rowling once said something like "Fawkes has not been in memories of Dumbledore's office so its safe to assume he is its original owner" or something, so either Fawkes is dead, or Dumbledore isn't.

Weasel Overlord
1st October 2005, 02:26 PM
As far as I remember, Fawkes sang the lament at the funeral and then burst into flames over Dumbly's bed-thingy...

Magmar
2nd October 2005, 02:17 AM
Maybe it's a symbol of reincarnation? As the phoenix bursts into flames and is reincarnated, so has Dumbledore been? Or who knows.

The Decapitated Mole
2nd October 2005, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I especially love the way everyone ignores my post about Harry possibly being a horcrux, too.

Anywho, to continue along the lines of what I was saying on the last page, it wouldn't make any sense at all if Harry was the horcrux, or his scar. First of all, the murders of Lily and James wouldn'tve been very important to Voldemort, since he does that kind of thing on a routine basis. And even if they were important, making a horcrux out of harry before killing him would serve no purpose, as the horcrux would be worthless once Harry died, and since Voldemort wasn't planning on Harry living through it [and if he had died, he wouldn'tve had his scar] than why on earth would you make a horcrux out of a dead baby that's just going to rot and decay into nothing anyway?

My thoughts.

Chris 2.1
2nd October 2005, 08:20 AM
Good point TDM. I never liked to believe the scar wasa Horcrux, it just sounds too...weird and crazy. However I am beginning to think the Mirror of Erised is a Horcrux. The clawed feet that it has could mean its a Ravenclaw artefact - and since Ravenclaws are generally very intelligent knowledge-searchers, a mirror which shows your hearts desire is a perfect choice. And of course, Voldemort would want it. Wouldn't he?

Magmar
2nd October 2005, 09:58 AM
But when has Voldemort had the access to create a horcrux out of the mirror of Erised?

I think we're missing a horcrux. Something triggered Voldemort possessing Quirrell, and there's a possibility it was a horcrux.

Weasel Overlord
2nd October 2005, 12:27 PM
I didn't ingore your post about Harry being a Horcrux...

I don't think that Harry's scar can be a Horcrux...they're made when Voldy does an important killing, although he had just killed Lily and James...

Maybe he wanted to make Harry the final one, but he didn't end up killing him, the curse rebounded on himself instead, so foiling his plans for the final Horcrux...

...see!

Also, I think I remember Wormtail mentioning that Voldy possessed Quirrel to get hold of the Philosopher's Stone, and restore himself. Maybe he was going to kill Harry and then make the Mirror the Horcrux..but his plan failed, obviously...so much speculation!

Systematic Revolution
2nd October 2005, 08:17 PM
But when has Voldemort had the access to create a horcrux out of the mirror of Erised?

I think we're missing a horcrux. Something triggered Voldemort possessing Quirrell, and there's a possibility it was a horcrux.

Are we forgetting that Voldemort DID go to Hogwarts for schooling? It's very possible that the mirror could've been there when he was a student. And Dumbledore never gave an actual reason for "moving the mirror to a safer place" either.

Just providing the info, I don't necessarily believe that it's a horcrux, though I am definitely not eliminating the possibility entirely.

There's just got to be something so obvious we overlooked it. HAS to be.

Magmar
3rd October 2005, 12:57 AM
Voldemort put the mirror in the chamber of secrets because Voldemort would never be able to get the stone out of it. Only someone who wanted to find the stone, not use it, could find it, and that was the trick. Voldemort wanted immortality more than he wanted to simply HOLD the stone. Therefore he couldn't pass the final test. To get the stone, you had to want the stone, not its powers. And that's how come Harry could get it.

Weasel Overlord
3rd October 2005, 06:00 AM
Maybe the mirror was moved after Voldy started enquiring about Horcruxes...thing is, he probably had intentions of making them while he was at school, but he wouldn't have een able to make the mirror one as Dumbledore moved it... I'm probably just rambling here but hey!

And I'll be that the final Horcrux is something so darned obvious...what is there so far...?

*Hufflepuff's cup (is this what Dumbledore destroyed the first time? The thing that gave him his withered hand?)
*That other thing he stole from Hepzibah...I can't remember what it was!
*Possibly Nagini
*The secret diary (already destroyed)
*The Slytherin horcrux taken by Regulus from the cave (probably the only person viable with the initials R.A.B)
*Hs own soul that's still in his body...not a horcrux, but it's a bit of his soul...

and that leaves the last one...If the theory about the four houses is right, then something from Griffindor/Ravenclaw is needed, as has already been said...but I can't see it being Godric's sword and I can't remember anything particular of Ravenclaw's...

Maybe it could be...Wormtail? I don't know...or it might be that silver hand he made for him...

Ooo, that's a point...does anyone else feel slightly suspicious of Wormtail having a silver hand? I can bet that Lupin *sob* will croak it in the next book...unfortunately enough...I do love that guy!

Magmar
3rd October 2005, 08:43 AM
It's possible that Voldy could've made his final Horcrux right at that the ritual in GoF. After all, he had done a killing.

Weasel Overlord
3rd October 2005, 12:29 PM
I don't think that he'd count Cedric as an important killing...and he wasn't even counting on him being there, remember?

Chris 2.1
3rd October 2005, 04:33 PM
So many theories...one being the real Slytherin locket was something RAB (I'm assumng it IS Regulus Black) took and stashed away in Grimmauld...although, didn't he run away from home whenn he became a death eater? So maybe it is somewhere else...this HAS to be connected to Sirius somehow!

Systematic Revolution
3rd October 2005, 09:22 PM
And I'll be that the final Horcrux is something so darned obvious...what is there so far...?

*Hufflepuff's cup (is this what Dumbledore destroyed the first time? The thing that gave him his withered hand?)
*That other thing he stole from Hepzibah...I can't remember what it was!
*Possibly Nagini
*The secret diary (already destroyed)
*The Slytherin horcrux taken by Regulus from the cave (probably the only person viable with the initials R.A.B)
*Hs own soul that's still in his body...not a horcrux, but it's a bit of his soul...

The other thing he got from Hepzibah WAS the Slytherin locket, so that technically still leaves two.

Magmar
3rd October 2005, 10:04 PM
I think Regulus destroyed the Slytherin horcrux already. Destroying a horcrux seems to take a lot out of somebody, it left Dumbledore with a withered hand after all...

Weasel Overlord
4th October 2005, 04:43 AM
But Voldemort hunted him down and killed him nastily for changing his mind about being a death eater...

Magmar
4th October 2005, 09:40 AM
Or maybe Voldemort, being the legilimens he is, read Regulus's mind and found out that he knew about the horcruxes?

We don't KNOW what happened to Regulus, all we hear is rumor. But the note in the fake Horcrux just verifies that someone destroyed the slytherin horcrux already.

Systematic Revolution
5th October 2005, 07:51 PM
I think we need to really open our minds to figure out what they are.

Hufflepuff's Cup
Slytherin's Locket (Possibly the one found in 12 Grimmauld Place? Unopenable... Horcrux possibly destroyed)
The Diary (Horcrux destroyed)
The piece still left in his body
Marvolo's Ring (Horcrux destroyed)

The other two, have suggested so far could be Harry himself, Harry's scar, the invisibility cloak, the silver hand, something of Ravenclaw, something of Gryffindor, I think someone suggested Snape, or Wormtail...

I do not want to eliminate the possibility of Harry's scar being a Horcrux. Not Harry himself, just the scar. If it's the scar, Harry's death wouldn't make a difference. The scar itself would still be there. It has already been said that Voldemort left a piece of him with Harry that night. I would consider this a strong possibility.

I would like to throw up the possibility that the ring bearing the Black family crest could be a Horcrux. If it was Regulus who took the locket, and if it was Regulus who wore the ring, it is quite likely that Voldemort could've turned it into a Horcrux as well. The death of Regulus would be quite significant, as he was a traitor and knew of Voldemort's Horcruxes.

The death of Myrtle, though not directly by Riddle, could be quite significant. We know that the Basilisk killed Myrtle, and it has been emphasised quite a bit since book 2 that the opening of the Chamber of Secrets 50 years ago caused a death. Something of Myrtle's could be a Horcrux.

Another artifact that could be of Gryffindor is the Griffin knocker on Dumbledore's (Now McGonagle's) door. Don't know though. Just throwing that possibility out there, as well.

We also know that places that are likely to contain Horcruxes are Hogwarts itself, the Muggle orphanage (That's a huge one), and of course the Riddle house. Then there is Godric's Hollow. I believe it's quite likely that Harry will find one here since not only did his parents die here, Voldemort lost power here. It is also called GODRIC'S Hollow. As in Godric Gryffindor. If there's another Gryffindor artifact out there, it's probably here.

Logically, if Lucious had a Horcrux, Snape probably has one in his house at Spinner's End. I think that is another logical place for one, just simply because Snape is supposed to be Voldemort's right-hand man.

Perhaps Wormtail has one too. Unlikely, but like I said, we need to be open-minded.

Also, Susan Bones' grandparents were killed by Voldemort. As was her mother, if I'm not mistaken. It's clear that the Bones family is a natural target for Voldemort. Then again we don't know how significant these deaths are.

Also another very important point. What did Harry's and Neville's parents do to "thrice defy Voldemort"? This question is yet to be answered, and I feel that is deeply significant somehow.

More ideas as I think of them...

Magmar
5th October 2005, 09:43 PM
I back you up. I want to know how they denied Voldemort three times.

Reminds me of how some bible dude denied Jesus three times.

Systematic Revolution
5th October 2005, 10:24 PM
Do you remember the name of the guy who denied Jesus 3 times?

Magmar
5th October 2005, 10:33 PM
i looked it up
thank you skepticsannotatedbible.com
it's peter
..pettigrew????
Hmm.

Weasel Overlord
6th October 2005, 03:47 AM
Pettigrew eh? Inter-esting...all along I've been forgetting about Marvolo's ring...I need to read the book again! lol

As for Neville's parents, well, they were Aurors...I reckon that's enough for Voldemort to want to kill them since they're trying to kill him and all.

I can't see Snape being a Horcrux...it's just too unlikely, although he may be hiding one at Spinner's End...and wasn't it Dumbledore who gave Harry the Invisibility Cloak?

At the beginning of Philosopher's Stone, McGonagall asked whether Dumbledore could getr ris of Harry's scar, but he said that scars sometimes come in useful. I reckon that he'd have got rid of the scar if he suspected it to be a Horcrux...

I like the Godric's Hollow theory...it seems likely that there could be a Horcrux there.

I'm wondering whether all this speculation is going to go on until book 7 comes out...that woud be amusing!

Chris 2.1
6th October 2005, 12:07 PM
I can't see a person being a Horcrux. Say snape was. Well what if he was killed when the Death Eaters raided the school? Then Voldemort would be weakened. What if, simlarly, Snape (Or just a person who was a Horcrux) commited suicide? It's far too risky.

Systematic, some great points there.

Magmar
6th October 2005, 01:00 PM
I doubt a human being would be a horcrux, too. I think Rowling is going to pull a surprise out of nowhere. A new concept, some new magic that Hermione will find in some book will probably lead to the discovery of the mystery horcrux. Whatever words Rowling puts in Dumbledore's mouth generally come true.

mr_pikachu
6th October 2005, 01:36 PM
I can't see a person being a Horcrux. Say snape was. Well what if he was killed when the Death Eaters raided the school? Then Voldemort would be weakened. What if, simlarly, Snape (Or just a person who was a Horcrux) commited suicide? It's far too risky.

Actually, I can see a logical way it could work, if it is indeed Harry.

Think about it. According to Dumbledore, Voldemort believes that the only person who can destroy him is Harry. And the only way that he can be destroyed is if all the Horcruxes are destroyed first. If Harry is the Horcrux and is destroyed, then in Voldemort's mind, he may have given up his last Horcrux, but the only wizard who can ever vanquish him is also gone. If Harry lives, then so does the final Horcrux, and thus Voldemort's still invincible. Thus, Voldemort believes that no matter what is done, he cannot be defeated. He may be wrong in that regard, but that may be a reason for him to have made Harry the final Horcrux.

And as for what counts as a major murder, who is to say? I won't even try to predict what explanation Rowling could pull out of her hat in that regard.

Again, this is all clearly speculation, but I think this logical argument is a way that my theory could work.

Systematic Revolution
6th October 2005, 09:21 PM
Mr_pikachu, I commend your brilliance. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

I also agree that it's probably not a person, and if it is... Harry or Harry's scar is more likely than Snape or Wormtail.

Razola
3rd December 2005, 02:23 AM
I'm pretty sure only inanimate objects can be Horocruxes.

Also, why is there suddenly a limit now? He's been having a grand time killing lately, and I don't recall the book stating on limit on Horocruxes. He loses one, and just kills someone and makes another. Are souls suddenly a certain size? Did Voldly have a skinny soul? Does this mean a fat dark wizard could be practically immortal?

Magmar
3rd December 2005, 10:19 AM
Slughorn horcruxes galore. hooray.

The Blue Avenger
3rd December 2005, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure only inanimate objects can be Horocruxes.

It's not proof, but didn't Dumbledore suspect Nagini of being a Horcrux? If a snake could be a Horcrux, surely it's not too farfetched to have a person be one.

Chris 2.1
3rd December 2005, 02:12 PM
Dumbledore did also say how highly dangerous it is for even something as intelligent as an animal being a Horcrux. Therefore making a person a Horcrux would be asking for trouble. And I can imagine a spell which implanted a portion of your soul into someone else would be excruciatingly painful.

And Razola, Voldemort probably won't know about his Horcrux's being destroyed, I think Dumbledore said something about his soul being so immersed in evil it would not detect if any portions of itself were destroyed. I mean R.A.B's note to Voldemort never got found by Voldemort himself, so it's safe to assume he doesn't 'check up' on his Horcrux's.

Small note: Saw COS film today, and wondered: wouldnt Tom Riddle want to keep a hold of the diary so that Harry didn't destroy it? Or did he not know by then that it was a future Horcrux?

Razola
4th December 2005, 05:45 AM
And Razola, Voldemort probably won't know about his Horcrux's being destroyed, I think Dumbledore said something about his soul being so immersed in evil it would not detect if any portions of itself were destroyed. I mean R.A.B's note to Voldemort never got found by Voldemort himself, so it's safe to assume he doesn't 'check up' on his Horcrux's.Eh...then I find this whole thing to be poor writing. It's established that Voldemort, like most would-be Dictators, is paranoid to a degree. I mean, he gets one prophecy from an idiot and look what he does. To say that he doesn't even have some sort of magical security that alerts him, "HEY YOU LOST A LIFE. FIVE MANS LEFT." is very out of character.

Voldemort does not seem like a person that is just relaxed and content with the world. He is very afraid of losing his power, even more so since he has lost it before.

About living Horocruxes, my guess is that people have their own souls, which no doubt has some risk. Harry very well might have been a failed attempt at a living Horocrux.

mr_pikachu
4th December 2005, 06:08 AM
Eh...then I find this whole thing to be poor writing. It's established that Voldemort, like most would-be Dictators, is paranoid to a degree. I mean, he gets one prophecy from an idiot and look what he does. To say that he doesn't even have some sort of magical security that alerts him, "HEY YOU LOST A LIFE. FIVE MANS LEFT." is very out of character.

Voldemort does not seem like a person that is just relaxed and content with the world. He is very afraid of losing his power, even more so since he has lost it before.

A valid point. The only explanation that makes sense to me would be that the loss of a Horcrux simply cannot be confirmed; that once a portion of a soul leaves a person, it goes beyond the realm of traditional magic and cannot be tracked by such means. Or something. Of course, that would leave a lot of plotholes in other areas (such as just how the heck they found the Horcrux or will find the others). But it's the best I've got. Meh. :P

Razola
4th December 2005, 07:27 AM
While you might be unable to keep tabs on the Horocrux, you can still keep tabs on the object itself. Shit, even "muggles" can keep mundane things secure.