PDA

View Full Version : Strange...something...

Pokemaster Ash
12th July 2005, 01:28 PM
In the past week, for some inexplicable reason, my computer has been trying to connect to the net automatically when I reawaken it after putting it in sleep mode. It does not try to connect when I start it up or anything else, which makes me think it may not be anything hostile (for now, at least).

I'm almost certain it's not adware or spyware, as I have and run Ad-Aware, and it's not picking anything up other than the odd banner ad thing (those usually being relatively harmless). I don't think it's a virus, unless somewhere I usually go that's safe was infected (and wouldn't Ad-Aware pick that up too?). Maybe I've just got a glitch somewhere (I'm not one for regular maintenance).

youdontknowme
12th July 2005, 04:21 PM
Is it because you are already connected to the internet? Or is it because the connection window thing is open or running when you hibernate/sleep your computer?

Jeff
12th July 2005, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a dialer, sometimes there are things associated with other annoying things, and that could be the case here. What's the name of the banner thing that AdAware keeps picking up? If it's coolwebsearch just use CWShredder to get rid of it.

Pokemaster Ash
12th July 2005, 09:54 PM
Actually, that's the thing. AdAware isn't picking up anything at all. And it can't be a dialer, since it's still connecting to my ISP with the regular phone number.

And it's just randomly reconnecting. It doesn't do this when I start up the computer, though. Just when I wake it up.

Kevin
13th July 2005, 07:33 AM
Do you leave your browser open? Perhaps a page that has meta refresh tags (Like Gmail and other google sites) triggers you to try to reconnect.

Pokemaster Ash
13th July 2005, 08:33 AM
My browser is open, but all I have open is TPM and two other message boards (none of the three, that I'm aware of, auto refreshes or has anything that does...unless something was put in here recently).

Kevin
13th July 2005, 08:49 AM
Do you use Firefox with extensions? I have extensions like ForecastFox that accesses the internet for weather conditions every so often.

Pokemaster Ash
13th July 2005, 04:18 PM
No, I just use regular IE (laugh if you want, I don't mind it).

Jeff
13th July 2005, 05:10 PM
Well now it's starting to sound more like adware that AdAware isn't picking up. Is AdAware all you're using, I'd reccomend at least also using spybot, especially if you're using IE.

Pokemaster Ash
13th July 2005, 05:24 PM
AdAware is basically all I've got.

EDIT: Due to a much more recent problem (yesterday/today), I've now picked up Avast.

EDIT2: And Avast seems to have cleaned my comp up. Hopefully that's it for my problems.

Pokemaster Ash
14th July 2005, 10:29 PM
Pardon the double post, but I thought I'd update.

Unknown if I've figured out the automatic dialing thing. I did pick up a trojan from somewhere, but I think I've killed it. (Of the files registering for it, one was an exe file and I managed to delete that. If I'm not mistaken, that was probably the core file, and the virus should be dead.)

Last, but not least, I noticed something strange. I don't know which problem of mine it's related to, but a site/something appeared mysteriously in my history folder. The address is http://www.tbh.jp/wcmd2.php (if it appears as a link, do NOT click, just in case it's the latter of the two problems). It's titled X-okRecv11. If anyone has any data at all on that and how to possibly get rid of it, it's greatly welcome.