PDA

View Full Version : PC or Laptop?

Silver Ledian
14th July 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi, this is general question on whether people here think it would be better for me to buy a PC or Laptop in the near future based on what I'm going to use it for.

Basically, I want to buy one of the two and a laptop seems a lot cooler because I've never had one, plus it's mobile and stuff but I dunno. What I'm gonna need a new system for is for university, which I hope to start at the end of summer, and university assignments etc. but I also still want to download all my mp3s onto it and do my general web browsing stuff too, which means I'll probably need a lot of memory - especially for the music - but I was just wondering what people think?

Which would be better for me?

Aipom Of Doom
14th July 2005, 07:15 PM
Any decent laptop or desktop is perfectly capable of doing all of those things, so it really comes down to if you want to trade off power (or spend more) for portability.

About how much are you willing to spend for the laptop? And how much disk space (not memory, that refers to RAM) do your mp3's take up?

Jeff
14th July 2005, 09:04 PM
I say if you want a laptop, you probably won't be dissapointed. I have a laptop that I take to college with me all the time. The portability is nice, I can take it between classes and if the professor says that he/she posted something on the class website I can check right there, I also have something to do between classes, and I can do my programming projects without having to go to a school computer lab. Of course some of that may not apply if you're going to be in a dorm, but you'd probably still find it nice to have a computer that you can take anywhere.

Silver Ledian
15th July 2005, 04:36 PM
Does 1.9GB of disk space sound right? It's the only figure I know how to read, lol...I guess I'd be willing to spend around £700 on a PC or a laptop, though I think I might get a better PC for that price than I would a laptop.

Jeff
15th July 2005, 09:07 PM
1.9 GB is extremely tiny, how old is this laptop?

The one I have now has a 30 GB Hard Drive and cost me about $1100 in 2003, just to give you an idea.

mr_pikachu
16th July 2005, 12:54 AM
It depends on how you're going to use the comp at college. I'm fine with a PC, since I simply keep it in my dorm room. I don't find it necessary to carry it around everywhere. However, I have worked with others on projects who are almost always out of their dorm rooms, so they wouldn't be able to handle the restrictions of a PC. The laptops were far more appropriate for them. Once you figure out how much time you're going to spend out and about compared to inside your dorm room (especially at times that you'll need your computer for whatever reason), your answer should become clearer.

Silver Ledian
16th July 2005, 08:22 PM
I mean my songs take up 1.9GB...and I think there's 11GB in total or something.

Lady Vulpix
16th July 2005, 08:58 PM
I prefer a PC. It's cheaper in the long run, and much easier to repair if a part of it goes wrong, or upgrade if you need to.