PDA

View Full Version : FrLg Safari Zone Trick

mr_pikachu
14th July 2005, 09:36 PM
I didn't see anything about this on the front page, so I thought I'd bring it up.

I did some experimentation with the timer (step counter) in the Safari Zone in Fire Red/Leaf Green, and I've found a way to get as many battles as you want in an area without using any of your time. It's a little tricky, though. Basically, find a grassy area of your choice and enter it. Then tap the control pad in a direction other than the one your character is facing. This will turn your character in another direction, but you will not actually take a step. This ensures that you won't lose any time, as the game counts the steps you take for the timer. By merely changing direction, you have the same chance (I think) for a Pokemon encounter as you would if you had simply stepped forward. However, you don't use up any time. With a few minutes of practice, you can learn to do this just about endlessly without ever actually taking a step. (I'd recommend practicing outside the Safari Zone, though. The turning method works in any location other than right next to a door - if you turn right into a door, though, you'll typically automatically go through it.) Even though I've failed to actually catch the rare Pokemon I'm after, by using this method I've had many more chances at it than I would have had if I'd walked around normally. I don't know if it would work on RSE, because I haven't tried it on those games yet. I also haven't tried it while Surfing, so I'm not sure if the technique would work in the water.

Has anyone else heard of this trick? if not, you might want to give it a try.

Silent Dragonfly
15th July 2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah, this has always worked, I've used it successfully a few times.
Other methods include walking into a wall, it tries to make a step but fails but encounters may still occur IIRC. Sweet Scent will instantly get you into a battle without taking any steps. Hopping on the Acro Bike will also get you into battles without taking steps, this is of course Hoenn only.

Sceptile_Master
15th July 2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah it saves you loads of money when looking for rare pokemon in the safari zone, I've always used it. Although the acro bike is easier is you are on RSE although I never have my acro bike out as it sucks in comparisson to the mighty mach bike.

Orion
15th July 2005, 11:24 AM
I use this trick when I don't have anyone with Sweet Scent. It works well, but Sweet Scent somehow brings out rare Pokémon faster.

I think it also worked in RBY, but the timing was MUCH harder.

Speedy
15th July 2005, 12:35 PM
Hey I have used that techinque. I have used it in R/S/E/Fr/Lg. And yes, it does work while you surf. No time change just tap like on land in the grass. Acro Bike and Sweet Scent is easier, but I very rarely use them since I only use the Acro Bike when I'm going to grab a Pokemon that is in the top right corner of the safari zone in R/S/E and I never really have a Pokemon with Sweet Scent on my bench for other reasons then catching Pokemon. I did do it a couple of times in RBY, but like Orion said the timing is MUCH HARDER.

Poryhedron
16th July 2005, 11:33 PM
I don't believe it's possible to have encounters while you're bumping up against a wall. That said, though, I usually look for a corner to do my turning-in-place in, because if I accidentally press too hard and take a step, I'm still safe since bumping into a wall doesn't count as taking a step.