PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Scraps Firefox 1.1, Looks to 1.5

kainashi
20th July 2005, 08:54 PM
Mozilla has just updated the Firefox development roadmap to reflect a decision on the next major release of the popular open-source browser. The non-profit foundation has decided to increase the version number of the next major release to 1.5 from 1.1, reflecting the sheer number of bug fixes and features that have been worked into the next version of the browser. Mozilla still plans to ship the next version of Firefox (now Firefox 1.5: "Deer Park") around September of this year:

* Firefox 1.4: Beta release in August 2005
Feature Complete general public preview release
* Firefox 1.5: Milestone Release
New Gecko, ongoing HIG compliance, software update system and extension manager improvements

The roadmap update comes just days after the discovery of a major flaw (http://www.mozdev.org/pipermail/greasemonkey/2005-July/004033.html) in Firefox, which has raised security concerns quite similar to those that have plagued ActiveX and Internet Explorer for years.

--

nothing all that big besides the flaw. i thought the flaw was only in greasemonkey though. oh well. just a number change really. all that was going to be in 1.1 will be in 1.5, etc.

Jeff
20th July 2005, 09:43 PM
When I read the roadmap, just earlier today in fact, it said 1.1 will be released this month. Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer for the next major version, oh well. Thanks for the heads up.

Sceptile_Master
22nd July 2005, 06:32 AM
Mozilla needs new features to keep up with it's reputation of being better than IE. Basically because IE 7 looks like a clone almost of firefox. Mozilla are a non profit organization focused on bettering the web where microsoft is a huge money hungry super company focused on cash. I wont let them bastardize the internet again, this time IE has to be the loser in the browser battle.

fat man with a monkey
22nd July 2005, 10:19 AM
"basically" "almost" notice how non-descript you are. That's because IE7 hasn't been released yet, and like longhorn/vista, they're constantly changing what will/won't be in there (mostly on the won't side)

"microsoft is a huge money hungry super company focused on cash."
You act like that in and of itself makes them evil. How do you rationalise using google then?

and all of this stuff saying "scraps 1.1" "cancels 1.1" "gets rid of 1.1" is very misleading. It'd be more to the point to say "Firefox 1.1 renamed Firefox 1.5"

kainashi
22nd July 2005, 11:03 AM
go whine to them then. i'll post "whatever i want."

Sceptile_Master
22nd July 2005, 12:21 PM
"basically" "almost" notice how non-descript you are. That's because IE7 hasn't been released yet, and like longhorn/vista, they're constantly changing what will/won't be in there (mostly on the won't side)

"microsoft is a huge money hungry super company focused on cash."
You act like that in and of itself makes them evil. How do you rationalise using google then?

and all of this stuff saying "scraps 1.1" "cancels 1.1" "gets rid of 1.1" is very misleading. It'd be more to the point to say "Firefox 1.1 renamed Firefox 1.5"

Well looking into the screenshots of the beta version it looks like a complete clone. I'm not saying they are evil but they are not interested in bettering the web like mozilla. And about google. I don't need to justify using it, because I hardly use it. other search engines do better jobs alot of the time.

kainashi
22nd July 2005, 12:59 PM
ie7 looks like complete CRAP on windows xp. looks loads better on vista though.

Sceptile_Master
22nd July 2005, 01:06 PM
What's vista?

kainashi
22nd July 2005, 01:11 PM
read my longhorn topic.