PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Johto?

Ceipe
22nd July 2005, 01:22 PM
Johto hasn't been in any game yet, I expected it to be in FR/LG but it wasn't, so....is nintendo preparing another game in Johto? Or will Pearl/Diamond be in Johto? Does any1 know?

Number1ChanseyFan
22nd July 2005, 01:30 PM
[color=magenta]Meh, I don't know why Johto has completely disappeared. I was also hoping that it would have been included in FireRed/LeafGreen. As far as I know, there aren't any games that Nintendo is working on that have the Johto region in it. The New Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness for the Gamecube takes place in Orre again, and I believe that Diamond/Pearl is supposed to take place in a completely different area from all of the other games.

Ceipe
22nd July 2005, 01:38 PM
I really liked Johto, I liked the new gym types, where will I be able to find a Flying gym again? No really, G/S/C were great because the Gyms covered al but 1 type :(.

Chris 2.1
22nd July 2005, 02:09 PM
If you're looking for a new flying gym, try Fortree City's Winona ;).

I liked Johto, too, but if there isn't any need to bring it back, I don't see a point. Kanto was a remake, and in theory they could have remade Gold and Silver too, having it with the Johto Pokemon, and Kanto with Kanto only. But they didn't. I can only assume there isn't any point.

You can still play GSC, but a 3rd Gen remake of it would look good.

Sceptile_Master
22nd July 2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah I liked jhoto. I might remake advanced generation if I have time but not now.

Also it isn't completely forgotten as there are tons of references to the region in the newer games.

Ceipe
22nd July 2005, 04:30 PM
What newer games? Well actually I liked the fact that Johto had the Time feature, where it actually mattered if it was Day or Night.

Besides, there ARE gyms which we seem not to see ever again:
Ghost, Steel, Ice, fighting and Dragon. (Ok arguably theres the Saffron City "Gym")

Also, there's no ash, so that means no trainer with Level 70+ pokemon to defeatand get level.

Sceptile_Master
22nd July 2005, 04:44 PM
Ruby/Sapphire/Fire Red/Leaf green/Emerald all refer to jhoto.

Ceipe
22nd July 2005, 04:59 PM
I am not saying that ur wrong, I really don't, but is there a way u could quote or say where are those refferences made? So that I can convince myself? I remeber Ruby/Sapphire talking about another continent, but never refered whether it has kanto or johto

Orion
22nd July 2005, 05:24 PM
Though most Johto references were removed in Emerald, they did exist in RS.

-Someone in Littleroot said that Norman's family came from Johto.

-In the Slateport Museum, there's a Johto Water Sample and a Kanto Water Sample.

-You can see Pryce, Whitney and Jasmine among the Contest crowd.

That's it... the other were of Kanto (Some Blackbelt said that Brawly trained with Bruno. And Bill's E-Mail to Lanette.)

The FR/LG links to Johto are obvious if you care to fill the Fame Checker. Among other things, you find out Misty has many hopes in the Cerulean Caper (The place you find her at in GSC.); that Lance is member of a Dragon clan somewhere far away and has a cousin that is a GYM Leader (Blackthorn City and Clair.); that Bill lives in Goldenrod City; and most importantly, that Giovanni's kid is a red-haired guy or girl, probably with long hair (Take a wild guess. ;)).

As for Johto being left out... I hate to break it down to you. Johto is just a Kanto subordinated. At least in the way it was managed in the games. Yep. You gather 8 different Badges, but you end up going to the exact same League, which makes Johto lack distinction and personality altogether. It was just Kanto 2 for all purposes... or in more rough words, just an alternative...

I won't deny it was interesting indeed. Johto was a quite nice Region. All of them are. However, it still was as plain as Kanto, and while its strongest point pretty much saved it from oblivion (You know, the culture and the buildings dedicated to Pokémon all over the Region.), it still supported itself in Kanto way too much. Heck, most of those ruins, buildings and culture surrounding Pokémon was focused in Kanto/RBY Pokémon (Ruins of Alph and the Tin Tower/Burned Tower are the ONLY places not dedicated or populated by Kanto Pokémon, and even the towers had way more, if not only Kanto Pokémon, but that's another thing...).

If only Nintendo hadn't blown it, then Johto could've made a comeback. But as things are going right now, there's absolutely no need for Johto anymore, as all the 2nd Gen Pokémon are already obtainable, but that's kinda superfluous... after all, Johto had WAY more 1st Gen Pokémon than 2nd Gen ones. Yet another flaw. And seeing that Diamond/Pearl are already confirmed to be compatible with all the 3rd Gen GBA games, it seems there's no need at all of a GSC remake in the DS... and even less in the GBA...

Such a shame indeed. I miss Whitney a lot... :(

EDIT:

Besides, there ARE gyms which we seem not to see ever again:
Ghost, Steel, Ice, fighting :confused: and Dragon. (Ok arguably theres the Saffron City "Gym")

Also, there's no ash, so that means no trainer with Level 70+ pokemon to defeatand get level.

Brawly is the Leader of the Fighting GYM in RSE. Gotta agree with the others, though. They're bound to appear in D/P if they keep the Badge gimmick going, though. But think for a while... there's a Type that has NEVER been a GYM: Dark.

As for the toughest Trainer, there's the Elite Four second round in FR/LG, with Pokémon from Level 60 until Level 75.

There's Steven in Emerald too, with all Pokémon at Level 73 to 78, but you just battle him once...

But for all purposes, Secret Bases work much better. And you have like 50 in RSE, as oppossed to the single one in GSC...

Ceipe
22nd July 2005, 05:50 PM
Now that u mention the secrte bases, there;s no way to get them in FR/LF right? Cuase I have only a LG right now and was wondering if there's a way of getting a secrte base for this game, or should
I get an Emerald version (or R/S though I like the fact all legendaries are on 1 cartige only, besides the Battle Frontier). and yes, I must admit I was wrong with the fighting GYM, hehe, don't know where my head went to :p

Second, I admit of the references made, and I think that Johto could've been oncluded in FR/LG instead of the islands in order to make the game long enough. Ok, there's the battle seeker, I agree, but u must also agree with me when I say there;s nothing like facing new trainers rather than facing the old ones again. Maybe they could've included not a Johto League in the Kanto sence, but more like in the sreies, you compete chosing your pokemon, like the Battle Tower in R/S or Battle Frontier in Emerald. Besides, there were items u can't denny that the Pokegear was actually cool, besides they could've included the berry blenders somewhere in Johto or at least in Kanto, the contests are something which I think could've been kept too.

Chris 2.1
23rd July 2005, 06:14 AM
I hope we have some exciting new gyms in the D/P Games. Don't forget, though, that those types you mentioned: Ghost, Steel, Ice, Dragon, have been in RSE. Phoebe was the Ghost E4 member. Steven was, in RS, the Steel Champion, and in E, he was a strong trainer. Glacia was the Ice E4 member, and Drake was the Dragon E4 membr. So they have been included in that way.

Also, IIRC, I heard the RSE Gyms resembled the Kanto Gyms (1st Gym Rock, 3rd Gym electric, Psychic Gym, Water Gym, Fire Gym) was something to do with the Gym Leader TM's. Like how the RSE Tm list was the same in Fr/Lg, the RBY Kanto TMs (Like Bide, Bubblebeam, Thunderbolt, Psywave, Fire Blast...) couldn't be given away as Fr/Lg TM's because Fr/Lg didn't have those TM's. Am I making sense?

:s

Silent Dragonfly
25th July 2005, 05:56 AM
Johto itself was way too small for my liking. I'd have prefered it extended beyond Cianwood (which is really just a beach, not an island) instead of that horribly butchered Kanto. If I wanted to play Kanto, I'd go back and play Blue. I'm not saying I wouldn't like it accessible to AG and beyond, because I would, partly to fulfill it's mention in a few places through AG. To be honest though there isn't really any point. All pokes that belonged to Johto are freely avaliable in FRLG/Em, bar Ho-oh and Lugia which are on the 2 cube games along with most of the Johtos. FRLG unlocked a lot of pokes for us. A Johto remake would serve no real purpose whatsoever.

rinku
27th July 2005, 12:42 AM
It would not surprise me in the least if Johto might end up as a bonus area in D/P, especially if they set the game in an unused part of pokémon-Japan (i.e Southern Honshu or Hokkaido. I'm still betting it *will* be Hokkaido and have a strong Ice theme). Sorta like the islands in FR/LG.

With all the push about Revolution being online and all, we might even finally see a MMORPG style version with a really huge map covering all the areas and more. Mind you, the legal minefield of a massive online whose target audience has a very large slice of pre-teens may forever make this a pipe-dream.

Ceipe
28th July 2005, 05:18 PM
I think that nintendo will really think it over if they want to make that happen. U see, if they do make an online game, it would be beneficial and unbeneficial for nintendo. Beneficial, because that particular game would have a boom, practically every1 who has ever played pokemon would buy it. But there's a drawback. They wouldn't get that much money per person, as only 1 cartige wpuld be enough for all. Nxt, when they come out with new games, either thay make the updates available only to those who buy them and make the undated not ti function, or to make special places availble only for the new versions. Therefore, nintendo would cease to have the posibility of exploiting one of the biggest franchises they have ever come along.