PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having problems with this?

mr_pikachu
23rd July 2005, 05:11 AM
I've been trying to catch up on my fanfic reading recently, but I'm having some problems. Actually, they only seem to consistently apply to one fanfic in particular, which is very odd. Basically, when the page is loaded, I can always see all the replies, except that many of them have had all the text completely deleted. It's strange, considering that some the posts (which I believe must be chapters) are very, very large. I'm guessing that corresponds to the size of the post before the text performed a vanishing act. I would have attributed it to my poor net connection if the problem didn't seem to be almost entirely with a single fanfic. Has anyone else noticed this?

...Oh, I guess I'd better give the name of the fic where I've noticed the errors. It's starjake's Yu-Gi-Oh: Virtual Disaster. I haven't checked the early pages, but the most recent posts seem to be... well, a virtual disaster. Pardon the horribly awful pun there, but has anyone else witnessed any similar problems with that or any other fanfic? Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I take back what I said about it being limited to one fanfic. I'm having trouble with some of Dark Sage's works, as well. (The one I'm currently grappling with is Yu-Gi-Oh: The Thousand Year door, in the early pages.) I guess it's more widespread than I originally thought, although it's odd... the fics in question seem to get many of the same readers. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Or perhaps I'm out of my mind. *shrugs*

mistysakura
23rd July 2005, 05:43 AM
Hmm, that's an interesting problem. I've wondered about strange huge gaps after certain posts in various forums myself, but in my case they just seem to be random spaces, not deleted text. Maybe over to vB help? (Just had a look at the pages you mentioned, by the way, and no problems for me.)

Darien Shields
23rd July 2005, 01:29 PM
You, or TPM, is alergic to Yuugi-oh, it would appear.

I had a look, and some odd things occured. You know that thing where you press the middle button of your mouse, and a circle with two arrows appears, and lets you scroll up and down just by moving the pointer? Well I did that, and was happily scrolling through the posts when a massive grey chunk appeared. It was not the grey colour of the forums, as I expected, indeed, you could see its border with the darker grey of the normal background. When I clicked to turn off this scrolling modey thing, the grey field vanished, and I could once more see the text, un-adulterated.

And for reference, my internet connection and my computer are amazing. The chance of the fault being with them is slim-to-none.

EDIT: Have now encountered it with other shades of grey, including ones indistingquishable from the natural board colour. In all instances, pressing my middle button to activate the scroller, then de-activating it, dispels the field.

mr_pikachu
25th July 2005, 03:31 AM
I had a look, and some odd things occured. You know that thing where you press the middle button of your mouse, and a circle with two arrows appears, and lets you scroll up and down just by moving the pointer? Well I did that, and was happily scrolling through the posts when a massive grey chunk appeared. It was not the grey colour of the forums, as I expected, indeed, you could see its border with the darker grey of the normal background. When I clicked to turn off this scrolling modey thing, the grey field vanished, and I could once more see the text, un-adulterated.

I've had that, too! I thought that one was a problem with my net connection, though, so I didn't mention it here. But I know exactly what you're talking about, Darien. (By the way, I don't even have a scrolling middle button, so that didn't make a difference for me. But I know what one of those is. I'm not completely naive. :wink: )

And to clarify what I said previously, when I referred to large posts with no text, I was essentially describing posts filled with empty line after empty line, through the entire space where the post would normally be. And as I said, the number of these empty lines varied from post to post, possibly based on the length of the original post before it was replaced by the nothingness.

Since this apparently seems to be happening even outside of Fanfic, I suppose it would be wise to mention this in vB Help, or whatever it's called now. It's a frustrating issue.

Darien Shields
26th July 2005, 10:43 AM
Since this apparently seems to be happening even outside of Fanfic, I suppose it would be wise to mention this in vB Help, or whatever it's called now. It's a frustrating issue.

The most annoying thing, I imagine, is that there is a cure, lying tantalisingly beyond your reach. As I said before, if you had a middle button, you could quite easily see through- at least if it were any like my experience.

Note, also, when the scroller is present over a "grey area" is makes a square of transparency around itself, through which the text can be glimpsed (although this is by no means a suitable way to read), perhaps this is to do with layers, or something...?

mr_pikachu
26th July 2005, 11:48 PM
That would seem to make sense, since the gray box does not cover the entire post area - that is, it doesn't extend all the way to the lines that denote the post's borders. It simply covers the limits of the text box.

Apparently this is also a problem on other forums that use this server, and it seems to afflict larger posts (such as fanfic chapters) more than smaller ones. Kevin says he's looking into a way to completely fix the problem (and by that I mean a way to remedy the whole situation, rather than a technique to get around the problem), but so far he's come up empty. We'll just have to hope for the best, especially since Fanfic is obviously the most susceptible forum to this problem.