PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Oh My Gosh! My Letter Got Printed In "Nintendo Power"!

Starry Might
25th July 2005, 04:28 PM
I just got the latest issue of "Nintendo Power" (Vol. 195), and boy, did I get a surprise when I was reading the Pulse section! :eek:

MISTAKEN IDENTITY
I've just gotten my latest issue of Nintendo Power (Vol. 194), and I noticed a mistake in the Family Tree section of the magazine. Among the influences for Nintendogs you mentioned were two canine game characters. However, you messed up on the name of the dog in Jet Force Gemini. You said his name is Floyd, but his name is actually Lupus. Floyd is the name of the little flying robot who tags along with you (and can be controlled by a second player).

Starry Might
via the Internet

Uh...well, you see...what's that behind you!?! (Runs away.) Hmm, that doesn't work nearly as well in print as it does in person.
Yes, that's right folks...I sent an e-mail to "Nintendo Power" (this is the first time I've EVER sent a letter/e-mail to ANY magazine, BTW), and they printed it! I was actually hoping that it would show up in there! :cool2:

I wish I could show you the original e-mail I sent ("Nintendo Power" edited it for print, mainly for length), but I just discovered that MSN automatically deletes sent e-mails older than 30-days-old. :mad:

You may have noticed that this topic's title begins with "Poll:". In light of just happened to me, I wondered if anything like this has happened to you guys and gals.

So, okay!

(1) Have you ever sent any letters to any game magazines? If so, which one(s) and what were you writing about?

(2) Have any of them got printed? If so, which one(s) and in which game magazine(s)?

P.S. - If any of you have the latest issue of "Nintendo Power", my letter is on page 10. :wink:

PNT510
25th July 2005, 09:48 PM
I think my little brother just got that magizine today so I'll check out the letter.

I've never submited anything to a magizine, but I think my friend wrote a letter to Nintendo Power, I don't think it got printed though.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
26th July 2005, 04:11 AM
Grats on that, you accomplished what I always wanted to see a decade ago, my name in a game's mag. I remember writing several fan letteres and even gaming tips to Total!, the then most renowned German Nintendo magazine. Too bad it never worked out for me.

Musourenka
26th July 2005, 06:01 AM
Speaking of getting your name in print, my friend tried several times to get his Star Fox 64 high score printed in Nintendo Power, but to no avail. 'Twas a shame since he smashed pretty much every other score printed there.

Razola
26th July 2005, 04:37 PM
Speaking of Nintendo Power, is it still crap or actually worth spending money on? Their pokemon "guides" were filled with hilarious errors.

Musourenka
26th July 2005, 05:57 PM
Speaking of Nintendo Power, is it still crap or actually worth spending money on? Their pokemon "guides" were filled with hilarious errors.

Which errors? The "Use Haunter against Sabrina" errors?

You might not believe this, but Nintendo Power went with a "new look" just a month or two ago (i.e. it looks like EGM now). In other words, it's even crappier than before.

The Muffin Man
26th July 2005, 09:21 PM

It's actually gotten a LOT better. A lot less "NOTHING BUT NINTENDO EXISTS". In fact, they admit that GTA is out there and that they enjoyed it. Muso is just bitter. It's actually a respectable magazine. The bias is less obvious(No more shitty games getting 5 stars! Plus it's 1-10 now. So a 3.5 and a 3 can be split into a 7.5 and a 6 or something)

It's finally up there with OXM and PSM in terms of "Single Console magazine that's not shit."

Well, I'm assuming OXM and PSM aren't shit. People seem to like them, but I can never find 'em.

PNT510
26th July 2005, 10:26 PM
I would say Nintendo Power is fine as far as console specifics are concerned. I'd say content wise its about almost as good OXM and better than OPM. It doesn't have Demo Discs like the other mags, but my friend said they do send out DVDs or other extras from time to time.

Musourenka
26th July 2005, 10:59 PM
It's actually gotten a LOT better. A lot less "NOTHING BUT NINTENDO EXISTS". In fact, they admit that GTA is out there and that they enjoyed it. Muso is just bitter. It's actually a respectable magazine. The bias is less obvious(No more shitty games getting 5 stars! Plus it's 1-10 now. So a 3.5 and a 3 can be split into a 7.5 and a 6 or something)
I just miss the NP glory days during the SNES era, though I admit that I am bitter about it becoming more "mainstream" so to speak.

It's finally up there with OXM and PSM in terms of "Single Console magazine that's not shit."

Well, I'm assuming OXM and PSM aren't shit. People seem to like them, but I can never find 'em.

OXM and PSM (as well as ODCM, when it existed) are both written by former editors of Game Players. Brings tears of nostalgia, it does.

Razola
27th July 2005, 11:12 AM
Which errors? The "Use Haunter against Sabrina" errors?

You might not believe this, but Nintendo Power went with a "new look" just a month or two ago (i.e. it looks like EGM now). In other words, it's even crappier than before.
The errors were insane. "You can start over again and keep all your pokemon!" in one of their miniguides when Red/Blue first game out. They only pretty one, but I bet they got THOUSANDS of letters from pissed off kids.

They kept holding to the belief that ghosts were good against Psychics, rather than admit the game was broken horrible in favor of them. They even included their house rules for using items in link battles. YOU CAN'T USE ITEMS IN LINK BATTLES.

And their greatest crime was 100% ignoring Conker's Bad Fur Day. No guide (understandable), but NO review and it wasn't even listed as a potential vote for their yearly awards. Retarded.

My favorite is when they wanted more room in the magazine, yet each issue they answer the same fucking letter about transferring pokemon to Stadium. A QUESTION ANSWERED BY READING THE DAMN MANUAL. Not to mention their reviews were about two sentences blurps with some inane soundbites from the staff. Horrible, horrible magazine.

EDIT: Naturally, the issue after I ended my subscription had a free Smash Brothers soundtrack. Man, do I HATE Nintendo Power.

Starry Might
27th July 2005, 02:18 PM
I was just wondering if anybody else ever got any letters/e-mails published in any game magazines. Sheesh!

Dark Scizor
27th July 2005, 02:50 PM
1] No.

2] No.