PDA

View Full Version : IVs estimation

Ceipe
5th August 2005, 09:13 PM
Many of u might know this, but it's a help for those who don't. The higher the Ivs a pokemon has, the harder it will be to catch, I've tested this on the unknown dungeon (A.K,A. Ceulean Cave) and the harder it is to catch the Ditto, the better IVs it has. Therefore with that u can estimate the IVs, now...who has a really bitch to catch pokemon they haven't checked for IVs? ;)

rinku
7th August 2005, 07:18 PM
This might be a general rule, but it is not by any means an absolute. What are your data?

Ceipe
7th August 2005, 08:58 PM
Actually I came along this by accident, I mean we all want a perfect IV Ditto right? So I was training at the Cerulean Cave and caught every Ditto I caught, there was this 1 Ditto which was actually harder to catch, he had a little more than 1/4 HP left and took me 3 ultra balls whilst a Ditto of the same level with more than half took only 1. So I checked their IVs and the first Ditto had better IVs. It may be a coincidence, but I checked that for Snorlax as well, one was harder than the other, and the rule applied as well. Anyelse has experienced this?

Sceptile_Master
8th August 2005, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that isn't how pokemon catch rates work. I think it's the species that makes the difference. And Dittos a rarely caught in 1 ultra ball anyhoo.

SoulflameNinetales
8th August 2005, 06:53 PM
I believe it may have a little bearing on how tough a pokemon is to catch but I agree with you, Sceptile_Master. Species is more of a factor than IV's in catching pokemon.

Ceipe
8th August 2005, 07:02 PM
Oh well, I'm gonna keep testing, but it's most likely it was just a coincidence, besides, using the Ultra Ball trick is kinda tricky too

rinku
8th August 2005, 08:44 PM
Two cases isn't much of a data set, I'm afraid. There could be something to it, though.

Poryhedron
8th August 2005, 08:46 PM
The formula for how difficult a pokémon is to catch has been released. It involves species, Max HP, current HP, and status effects. I seem to recall that being all it involves.

rinku
9th August 2005, 01:27 AM
True, but was it re-verified for FR/LG or for Emerald? Emerald in particular has a bunch of extra coding for encounters and extra effects of special abilities.

Still blown away by the effect of Synchonize. I couldn't work out why I kept catching all those Bold pokémon... then I twigged that my Ralts was Bold...