PDA

View Full Version : <|[Game]|> The Riddle Game, version 7 (Approved by Lady Vulpix)

Charizard04621
15th August 2005, 10:49 AM
The Riddle Game
Version 6.0
Lady Vulpix approved.
Originally started by Parsec's Politoed, a.k.a. PBug.

Workers -- See Scores.

The prize for correctly answering a riddle is what we call a figurine. They are small, molded from a soft plastic, resembling the pokemon that you identified. Occasionally a worker, (and only a worker) will give out a legendary or special figurine. Special figurines are sometimes called "O.A.K" figurines (One of A Kind), because often they will be shiny or have a unique feature. Come here on your birthday to get a O.A.K pokemon figurine with a birthday cake. Every once in a while, there will be a contest held here, sometimes even with special figurine prizes!

For future reference, legendary pokemon include Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, and Deoxys.

Rules -- These are updated every few weeks, the newest updates are in royal blue.
1 - The maximum number of pokemon guesses a post is 3.
2 - You must offer a reason for your choice for at least 3/4 of the riddle. (If the riddle is 4 lines, you must explain your reasoning for at least 3 of them, and so on.)
3 - If its your turn to post a new riddle, and you don't post it within 5 days, anyone else can post a new riddle. However, you don't get the figurine you last won and it is given to the next person who posts the new riddle.
4 - If no one gets the riddle in 50 guesses, you can explain what the riddle means and obtain the figurine for the riddle (only if the explanation is valid, which is up to the sole discretion of the workers). Then you have to make another riddle up.
5 - If no one guess at the riddle for 15 days, the riddle poster can post the answer out and, if validated by any of the workers here, he/she can have the figurine of that riddle. The riddle poster needs to post a new riddle out.
6 - The minimum riddle length is 4 lines, but please do try to make it longer.
7 - Try to put some effort into both your riddles and responses.
8 - Have fun!
9 - Once you received a worker figurine, you are a worker forever.

Scoreboard
Bold indicates a legendary figurine.
GOLD indicates an O.A.K. figurine.
PINK indicates a Birthday figurine.
BLUE indicates a Worker figurine.

Cyndaquil (a.k.a. Pichu) (23) Cyndaquil with Worker Sign, Shiny Bulbasaur, Aipom, Bulbasaur, Chimecho, Cyndaquil, Eevee, Flygon, Golduck, Hariyama, Kangaskhan, Koffing, Latias, Latios with Birthday Cake, Magneton, Marowak, Pichu, Sableye, Smeargle, Teddiursa, Togepi, Unown H, Venonat.

AragornBird (22) Ho-oh with Worker Sign, Articuno with Birthday Cake, Latios with Birthday Cake, Blissey, Caterpie, Chikorita, Celebi, Dustox, Forretress, Shiny Jirachi, Mantine, Mightyena, Nidoking, Porygon, Rapidash, Salamence, Shuckle, Skiploom, Smeargle, Stantler, Tentacool, Zapdos

Charizard04621 (21) Flygon with Worker Sign, Eevee with Birthday Cake, Beautifly, Cubone, Dragonair, Electrode, Gastly, Forretress, Milotic, Ninetales, Golden Octillery, Shiny Raikou, Seel, Sharpedo, Swablu, Shiny Torchic, Vileplume, Espeon, Gyarados, Anorith, Ditto

Hexae (13) Articuno with Worker Sign, Silver Ledian, Aerodactyl, Bellsprout, Gorebyss, Medicham, Natu, Pikachu, Slowpoke, Solrock, Spheal, Wobbuffet, Yanma

mr_pikachu (12) Pikachu with Worker Sign, Cacnea, Crobat, Ditto, Fearow, Flygon, Shiftry, Zubat, Aron, Golden Venomoth, Croconaw, Articuno

Rambunctious Jamirius (11) Eevee with Worker Sign, Mew with Birthday Cake, Breloom, Dunsparce, Meditite, Shroomish, Stantler, Togepi, Typhlosion, Umbreon, Zangoose

Lady Vulpix (9) Vulpix with Birthday Cake, Cascoon, Dragonair, Eevee, Golduck, Meowth, Relicanth, Shedinja, Slowking

Soggy_Cardboard (8)Spinda with Birthday Cake, Bellosom, Crawdaunt, Glalie, Jynx, Kingdra, Metapodk, Weepinbell

ZeldaFan20 (7) Jirachi with Birthday Cake, Feraligatr, Heracross, Meowth, Skarmory, Gorebyss, Misdreavus

Discothéqµe (6) Cacnea, Electabuzz, Teddiursa, Feraligatr, Poliwrath, Shuppet.
Nuriko (6) Ditto, Gyarados, Makuhita, Mightyena, Milotic, Rainbow Nosepass

Solarock (5) Arcanine, Azumarill, Ditto, Lugia, Zubat
PBug (5) Poliwhirl with Worker Sign, Politoed with Birthday Cake, Poliwag, Snorunt, Flygon

Bamm (3) Absol with birthday cake, Aerodactyl, Regice
DarkPrince. (3) Shiny Growlithe, Electabuzz, Houndoom
Elemental Seribii (3) Shiny Ampharos, Celebi with Birthday Cake, Ariados
Gaborn (3) Bulbasaur with Birthday Cake, Golbat, Feebas
Green_Lanturn (3) Roselia, Sudowoodo, Lileep
Mr. SmileAKASkrusti (3) Arcanine, Machop, Cacnea.
Music Dragon (3) Altaria with Birthday Cake, Blaziken, Crying Lunatone
Typact (3) Porygon with Birthday Cake, Dragonair, Parasect

Andypants (2) Lunatone, Tyrogue
Chris Watarimono (2) Linoone, Natu
Conspiracy (2) Ho-oh, Wynaut
EvileSquirrel (2) Arcanine with Birthday Cake, Treecko
MarshmallowEgg (2) Squirtle, Unown
Mikey (2) Psyduck, Swablu
titandude21 (2) Jolteon, Miltank
Wolfsong (Nala98) (2) Houndour, Kecleon
Zcade0 (2)Psyduck, Granbull

Angel Blossom (1) Murkrow with Glittering Hat
Avian Freeze (1) Flygon
Brit Chris (1) Masquerain
classycat_13 (1) Dusclops
CrystalMaster Mike (1) Alakazam
Citrus Crush Chikorita (1) Farfetch'd
Dragon_Claw (1) Dusclops
LightNinetales (1) Ninetales with Birthday Cake
Kyou (1) Breloom
Phantom of Innocence-BF (1) Spoink
ShadowDjinn (1) Umbreon with Birthday Cake
SilverMachop (1) Sudowoodo
SmearGal (1) Fearow
Venusaur (1) Venusaur with Birthday Cake
VirtualPlay (1) Poliwag
Zak (1) Huntail

Chris Watarimono
15th August 2005, 02:20 PM
Don't worry guys. I'm still here, though I'm suprised on what two days away has done for my status here on TPM. O_O;

I have a heart that is cold as ice
Because no one in my past life treated me nice
They all thought tough love would make me succeed
Instead the violent beast within they freed
Even then, much of my power is for naught
As I am merely a bully, many in the battlefield have thought

-Chris R.

mr_pikachu
16th August 2005, 12:32 AM
Could this Pokemon be Shuppet/Banette?

Banette came about when "cursed energy permeated the stuffing of a discarded and forgotten plush doll, giving it new life" according to the Sapphire Pokedex.

Is this a reference to the "violent beast" that was created after the previously mentioned plush doll was thrown out (as a form of tough love)?

Banette can be a real pest when going through the Mt. Pyre area, but it isn't used much on teams to my knowledge.

Charizard04621
17th August 2005, 11:20 AM
Magikarp/Gyarados?

Nobody treats Magikarp nicely, lol...

Well, it takes brute levelling up to get Magikarp into its more powerful form, Gyarados. Gyarados is an absolute monster in the beginning of RBY, with its high Attack-powered Bite destroying almost anything early game.

After Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, it becomes really strong for a little while. Gyarados are reputed to be nasty creatures, and probably in this way earn the title of 'bully'.

mr_pikachu
21st August 2005, 06:39 PM
Not to be a nag, but is Chris going to let us know how whether or not our guesses were correct? It's been five days since the first of the two guesses...

Chris Watarimono
21st August 2005, 06:48 PM
Bleh, I was waiting for other people to come in and take a shot, but I guess that's that. =\ Yes, Karin, it's a Gyarados!

Nobody wants a Magikarp. lol.

Some mighty abusive training has to be done to gain stubborn levels, and Gyarados is described as a brutal beast, devastating everything in its way, but...

...Gyarados isn't much in competitive play. It has a good but not great moveset, a gaping 4x weakness, a plummet in Special Attack over the G/S/C transition, and only a limited usage with the Tauntrados set in the Advance Generation and not much else. Blah.

Yeah Karin! A Gyarados figurine for you!

-Chris R.

Charizard04621
22nd August 2005, 10:45 PM
Yay ^_^ Had a feeling about that one. I don't guess any more if I don't have feelings, really :P I want other people to have a go.

Hmm, out of randomness I'm gonna make this an O.A.K. figurine! That is, one of a kind. It won't be a particularly hard riddle because I personally haven't been thinking of any... ^_^;

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?
How much of me do you see?
Can I flee from your grasp in shelter of another?

Happy guessing, this riddle sucks, I know :P

mr_pikachu
22nd August 2005, 11:49 PM
This one is harder than you seem to think. But could it be Mawile/Feebas/Milotic?

(If we're only allowed to guess up to three Pokemon if they are related evolutionally, then I'll limit my guess to Mawile. Otherwise, I'll include Feebas and Milotic as well.)

Is beauty intruding?

Mawile lures it foes in with its cuteness before attacking with the steel jaws. Feebas has beauty intrude upon it when it evolves into Milotic.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Mawile has two sides to it, as does the evolutionary chain of Feebas and Milotic. Both have one side that appears despicable and one that appears lovely.

Because of the way Mawile's form works, others are likely to see only one side of it, not realizing what danger is hidden. Feebas has a hidden side to it as well; it is largely ignored according to the Ruby Pokedex, but it evolves into the wondrous Milotic.

Um... does the "grasp" refer to capture in a Pokeball?

EDIT: I am really having problems with tags tonight... that's the second post in a row!

Charizard04621
23rd August 2005, 08:01 AM
Hmm, not the way I was going, but nice try. By the way, it can be any three pokemon, related or not.

Depending upon activity, hints will come in increments of 5 or 10 guesses. I'm inclined to give them after 10 guesses because this is, after all, a riddle for a One of a Kind.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic

mr_pikachu
23rd August 2005, 05:53 PM
Hrm. How about Murkrow/Ditto?

Is beauty intruding?

Murkrow collects shiny (and perhaps beautiful) objects, while Ditto can transform into lovely creatures.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Murkrow is said to be a harbinger of bad luck (from the Gold Pokedex), but it was shown to be misunderstood to an extent in the Johto anime episode in which it was featured. Ditto can transform into just about anything, so its appearance could be heavenly or demonic.

This could be a reference to Murkrow often being misunderstood, as mentioned in line two. Ditto can transform into so many different things that most people probably never see all its different possible forms.

This one still frustrates me. The best I've got here is that in the previously mentioned anime episode with Murkrow, the three birds traveled as a pack, working together to elude Ash and company's attempts to reclaim the badges. With Ditto, maybe it's a reference to Duplica's training, or to Ditto's ability to shelter itself with another (so to speak) by becoming that other, stronger being.

Charizard04621
23rd August 2005, 08:28 PM
Hmm, you're getting warmer, but you still need a push onto the right track. I'm hoping more people will make guesses. Otherwise, I might consider giving you a hint early.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto

mr_pikachu
23rd August 2005, 09:53 PM
This is difficult... what about Eevee/Espeon/Umbreon?

Is beauty intruding?

When Eevee evolves into Espeon, it changes from a fairly cute Pokemon to one that is much more sleek and stylish. Espeon has very fine hair (according to the Gold Pokedex), which could be compared to some expensive fabrics with fine threads, such as silk.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Eevee can evolve into Espeon, which may have developed its powers to protect its trainer as a sort of guardian angel (see the RS Pokedex entry), or it can instead become the fearsome Umbreon, which sweats poison and strikes fear into the hearts of all around it (see Gold and Silver Pokedex entries).

Eevee is full of mysteries, so a trainer simply looking at it would not necessarily know of all the possibilities. In addition, it is unclear if more Eeveelutions will be added in later Pokemon games, so even we may not know of all the possible evolutionary forms of Eevee.

The "another" could be a reference to the fact that Espeon and Umbreon could be considered twins, in a way.

Charizard04621
24th August 2005, 07:47 AM
Hmm, since you're the only one guessing, I'll post a hint. ^_^

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon

Hint 1: Have you ever heard the phrase "A Beautiful Mind"?

mr_pikachu
24th August 2005, 02:29 PM
How about Wurmple/Silcoon/Beautifly?

Is beauty intruding?

Wurmple can evolve into Beautifly, so this could be a play on words... beauty and Beautifly... the words are obviously quite similar.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Wurmple can evolve into either the lovely Beautifly or the rather dastardly looking Dustox.

During the middle evolution stage of both Wurmple evo branches, the Pokemon itself cannot be seen through the cocoon.

Both Beautifly and Dustox can learn Double Team via TM, and that move could produce the "another" that provides the "shelter"...

Charizard04621
24th August 2005, 06:24 PM
Hmm, stumbling your way through... Getting colder. The hint should be very helpful, by the way.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly

Zcade0
24th August 2005, 07:09 PM
Celibe?

Is beauty intruding?
??

Am I an angel? A demon?
He is a guarden of the forest and then he gets taken over by the dark ball
He can switch times and u don't c him much
again, tooken over by the dark ball

Chris Watarimono
24th August 2005, 09:22 PM
I'm going for Ralts/Kirila/Gardevor.

Is beauty intruding?
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir are beautiful Pokemon, but it may be intruded in greedy hearts who train and wield them.

Am I an angel? A demon?
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir may generally be kind and beautiful, or evil and malicious, and very much so, since their powers are closely tied with their trainers' feelings.

They won't open up fully unless their trainers do first. This is why seeing them at Route 103 (I think that's where they are) at first is a rare sight, but with a team under loving care, they sprout up all over the place on that Route.

If intimidated, they'll end up fleeing. I think this is evidenced in a Pokemon eppy, but I'm not sure, but this is certainly said in the Advance Generation Pokedexes.

-Chris R.

Charizard04621
24th August 2005, 11:05 PM
Hmm, I feel like giving another hint. Read the hints, by the way, they should make the riddle less puzzling and put you on the correct track.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir

Hint 2: What physical properties are some angels and demons thought to have?

mr_pikachu
25th August 2005, 06:53 AM
Okay, what about Gastly/Haunter/Gengar?

Is beauty intruding?

For once, this is the line that doesn't quite fit.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Some people believe angels and demons to be able to slip through walls or to have no physical form. All three of the Pokemon from this evo chain fit those descriptions. Many of the Pokedex entries state this.

Gengar often hides in the shadows, and Haunter trips people while hidden in floors. Gengar's Red, Blue and RS Pokedex entries confirm its part, and Haunter's Stadium entry details its trickery.

Because Gengar hides in shadows, a person who notices it and panics would look foolish - or perhaps schizophrenic - to a bystander who was not aware of Gengar's presence.

Charizard04621
25th August 2005, 07:51 AM
Ooh, you got once reference, but don't approach it at that angle. Try to focus more on the 'mind' part.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar

mr_pikachu
25th August 2005, 07:59 AM
Then what about Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam?

Is beauty intruding?

Is this a reference to this Pokemon's "beautiful mind"?

Am I an angel? A demon?

These Pokemon can instantly change their location, sort of like an angel or a demon suddenly appearing on the earth from either Heaven or Hell, respectively.

This Pokemon is fairly rare in the wild and is very difficult to capture due to its Teleport.

According to Abra's Silver Pokedex entry, if it teleports randomly, it creates the illusion of multiplying itself (to create another).

Charizard04621
25th August 2005, 08:18 AM
Aha, you've got one part of it down! Keep pushing.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam

Hint 3: What do you think of when asked to call upon the appearance of an angel? What about a demon? Why?

mr_pikachu
25th August 2005, 08:37 AM
I'm not really sure of which part I managed to figure out...

Could it be Mew/Duskull/Dusclops?

Is beauty intruding?

Mew is clearly a very cute Pokemon. For the other two, I'm not so sure. Perhaps another reference to the beautiful mind?

Am I an angel? A demon?

When you think about these two, you think about God, who is the origin of life. Mew is arguably the origin of Pokemon, since it can learn any move and has the DNA of all Pokemon. Duskull and Dusclops can pass through walls, much like the ability some believe angels and demons to possess.

Mew can make itself invisible according to its RS Pokedex entry. Duskull's face is hidden behind a skull.

Mew's invisibility could allow it to flee; also, it can pretty much use any technique that any other Pokemon can, including Abra's random Teleportation. Dusclops' could use a hypnotized victim to provide the "shelter" (see Sapphire Pokedex).

Charizard04621
25th August 2005, 03:13 PM
I can tell you right now you just eliminated the part that you got right.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops

Hint 3: What do you think of when asked to call upon the appearance of an angel? What about a demon? Why?

mr_pikachu
25th August 2005, 05:30 PM
Is it perhaps Mr. Mime/Smoochum/Jynx?

Is beauty intruding?

Smoochum's evolution into Jynx arguably changes it from a cute Pokemon to a beautiful one.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Mr. Mime possesses the ability to change reality by miming. It can turn air into a solid wall, for instance, as is mentioned in several Pokedex entries. It is silent when it does so, as people often are when they pray. Jynx can partially hypnotise onlookers merely by moving, which could then potentially be used for either good or evil.

Mr. Mime possesses the ability to create invisible walls out of air. These obviously would be unseeable. Part of Jynx's body is hidden under its dress, as well.

According to its Yellow and RS Pokedex entries, Mr. Mime can make bystanders believe that something is present when it is not. This could be the aforementioned "another". Jynx can confuse enemies with Lovely Kiss (I think; although it might be Sweet Kiss), which could cause a victim to see things that were not there.

Charizard04621
25th August 2005, 07:17 PM
The part you got right is still missing.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx

Hint 4: The last line is a reference to a battle situation.

mr_pikachu
25th August 2005, 09:00 PM
Wait... is this Deoxys/Natu/Xatu?

Is beauty intruding?

Well, Deoxys can change forms, and some are arguably more beautiful than others. So a trade might result in the intrusion of beauty. Natu becomes a bit more elegant in its evolution to Xatu, as well.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Again, Deoxys can change forms. The only thing that determines its form is what GBA cartridge you use, so it can change between "good" and "bad" forms through trading. Xatu is omniscient, and some believe that God is omniscient as well, thus bringing the angels and demons into the picture.

Deoxys has several forms, so seeing one does not mean that you see all Deoxys has to offer. Natu and Xatu can use Teleport, so they could potentially flee from battle before you see too much of them. (And if I recall, Natu was pretty rare in GSC.)

Not only can Deoxys learn Double Team through a TM, but it also has the mystical self-copying ability seen in Destiny Deoxys. These techniques could create the "another" mentioned. Natu and Xatu can also learn Double Team through a TM.

Wolfsong
25th August 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm probably wrong, but i'll take a guess

Could it be Girafarig?

Is beauty intruding?
Hmmmm, not sure. Uh, it can learn attract ^^;

Am I an angel? A demon?
It can learn both psychic and dark moves.

If you just see it's front looks friendly while if you just see its back half, it looks mean, so you see what you see ^^;

Giragarig learns baton pass.

Charizard04621
25th August 2005, 10:48 PM
Amy got something right :D

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx
28) Deoxys
29) Natu
30) Xatu
31) Girafarig

Chris Watarimono
25th August 2005, 11:19 PM
Togepi/Togetic for the win! =D

Is beauty intruding?
In "Who Gets To Keep Togepi", Meowth/Brock/Misty/Ash all fought over Togepi's beauty and glamor, hence intruding upon themselves. It also has the power to shower one with kindness and protection, hence "A Beautiful Mind?"

Am I an angel? A demon?
Togepi/Togetic are seen as guardians and protectors, as well as coming from the heavens, so they're said to be "angels." Then again, they hail from a mirror image of the real world, so they could serve as "demons" in a sort. Furthermore, should a Togepi be picked up by a heir or sucessor, they may rule as King or Queen, either as a good ruler (Angel) or a evil ruler (Demon).

Togepi/Togetic only opens its true self to the hearts of pure and kind trainers, and even then, only a few select trainers can see its true glory. Again, this is as evidenced in the Togepi/Togetic episode with the Togepi kingdom with the alternate universe where all the Togepis were protectors or something like that.

Togepi/Togetic gets Baton Pass to "flee from your grasp in the shelter of another". Plus the Togepis/Togetics are able to travel back and forth from their world to the real world.

-Chris R.

Charizard04621
26th August 2005, 06:07 PM
One thing in there is correct. One is getting the idea, but isn't quite there yet. Focus on the physical attributes of angels and demons.

[EDIT]: Erk, I just realized I went like 5 posts without noticing that I'd talked about an "angle" and a demon. Hmm, two more guesses and I'll post another hint.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx
28) Deoxys
29) Natu
30) Xatu
31) Girafarig
32) Togepi
33) Togetic

mr_pikachu
26th August 2005, 08:43 PM
Okay, what about Scyther/Scizor/Pidgeot?

Is beauty intruding?

All three Pokemon can learn Attract via TM. Additionally, Pidgeot's RS Pokedex entry states that "Many TRAINERS are captivated by the striking beauty of the feathers on its head".

Am I an angel? A demon?

All three Pokemon can fly, and Scyther and Scizor can be deadly with scythes and claws, respectively. (Scyther's scythes even resemble the reap of the grim reaper.)

These three Pokemon are extremely fast, and their Pokedex entries either state that they can hit someone so fast that they will not know who attacked them, or that it is heard after it has already flown aways, depending on which Pokemon you look at.

Scyther and Scizor can learn Baton Pass, while Pidgeot protected the Pidgeys in the forest near Pallet Town.

Charizard04621
26th August 2005, 09:19 PM
Ooh, yes, yes, flight! Flight is good!

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx
28) Deoxys
29) Natu
30) Xatu
31) Girafarig
32) Togepi
33) Togetic
34) Scyther
35) Scizor
36) Pidgeot

Hint 5: The brilliance of a mind has nothing to do with physical appearance.

classy_cat18
26th August 2005, 09:46 PM
Is it Dragonite?

Is beauty intruding?
You said "a beautiful mind", right? Dragonite's intelligence is said to match that of humans.

Am I an angel? A demon?
It can fly, and it guides ships to safety. But it also has destructive powers.

Not many people see it.

It can learn Substitute via Move Tutor.

mr_pikachu
26th August 2005, 10:16 PM
Maybe it's Latias/Latios/Gyarados?

Is beauty intruding?

Latias and Latios are intelligent enough to understand human speech. Gyarados' brain underwent a change upon evolution, resulting in its somewhat crazed behavior.

Am I an angel? A demon?

All three Pokemon can fly. Gyarados can destroy entire regions, while Latias and Latios try to be protectors of the city, despite the fact that their Soul Dew almost destroyed the very city they sought to defend.

Many people who see Gyarados are killed soon after. Latias and Latios can become invisible, so what people see is only an illusion.

All three Pokemon can learn Substitute.

Chris Watarimono
26th August 2005, 11:35 PM
Wait! I got this one! It's none other than a Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon! XD

Is beauty intruding?
Flygon is said to be the "elemental spirit of the desert", whose flapping can create enchanting melodies.

Am I an angel? A demon?
Flygon has the power to fly up into the air. It also carries itself with an angelic grace as an beautiful desert spirit, but with its red eyes and vicious appearance, it also looks like a demon as well.

Flygon can avoid detection by concealing itself in desert sands.

Flygon has the power to learn Substitute, as well as Quick Attack to "flee from its opponents' grasp".

-Chris R.

Zcade0
27th August 2005, 01:25 PM
Cloyster
Is beauty intruding?
???

Am I an angel? A demon?
um... it looks evil but it is mostly nice

it hides inside its shell most of the time

I think it learns baton pass

Charizard04621
27th August 2005, 02:07 PM
Please please please somebody get it before it reaches guess #50, I don't want this O.A.K to myself :(

Posting last minute hints.

zcade0: You are in desperate need of a pokedex (http://pokedex.kary.ca/).

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx
28) Deoxys
29) Natu
30) Xatu
31) Girafarig
32) Togepi
33) Togetic
34) Scyther
35) Scizor
36) Pidgeot
37) Dragonite
38) Latios
39) Latias
40) Gyarados
41) Trapinch
42) Vibrava
43) Flygon
44) Cloyster

Hint 6: Further than intelligence, what aspect of a mind would one have that is abnormal, something that not everyone has the power to possess?
Hint 7: What pokemon Types are considered "evil"?
Correct assumptions: This pokemon has wings and learns Baton Pass and Double Team.

Wolfsong
28th August 2005, 12:11 AM
*guesses one last time ^^;

Ninjask

Is beauty intruding?
Err, it can learn attract.

Am I an angel? A demon?
It has wings, but its not pretty like one would expect an angel to be. As far as demons... It learns mind reader and its a bug?

It has speed boost as its trait, they can move around at such a high speed that it cannot be seen according to the pokedex description.

they learn both baton pass and double team by level and can learn substitute through the move tutor?

Chris Watarimono
28th August 2005, 01:12 AM
Crapshoot? Yes. But I'm going for Absol.

Is beauty intruding?
Absol has the abnormal aspect of being able to forecast incoming natural disasters, something of a telepathic power of some sort. This could be a reference to a "beautiful mind."

Am I an angel? A demon?
Absol's power to predict disasters hopes it to be a savior and guardian of its people. Unfortunately, its also seen as the bringer of disasters and is labelled as the disaster Pokemon. This isn't helped by the fact Absol is a Dark type. Absol may not have actual wings per se, but it has wing-like appendages on its body.

Absol rarely comes down from its habitat, and if it does, it gets scorned away by many humans because of the statement above.

Absol can use both Baton Pass and learn Double Team naturally, and flee from its opponent's grasp.

This should do either hit the spot or totally miss the mark.

-Chris R.

Charizard04621
28th August 2005, 01:26 AM
Amy is sorta close, in a way.

Is beauty intruding?
Am I an angel? A demon?

Incorrect guesses:

1) Mawile
2) Feebas
3) Milotic
4) Murkrow
5) Ditto
6) Eevee
7) Espeon
8) Umbreon
9) Wurmple
10) Silcoon
11) Beautifly
12) Celebi
13) Ralts
14) Kirlia
15) Gardevoir
16) Gastly
17) Haunter
18) Gengar
19) Abra
20) Kadabra
21) Alakazam
22) Mew
23) Duskull
24) Dusclops
25) Mr. Mime
26) Smoochum
27) Jynx
28) Deoxys
29) Natu
30) Xatu
31) Girafarig
32) Togepi
33) Togetic
34) Scyther
35) Scizor
36) Pidgeot
37) Dragonite
38) Latios
39) Latias
40) Gyarados
41) Trapinch
42) Vibrava
43) Flygon
44) Cloyster
45) Ninjask
46) Absol

Hint 6: Further than intelligence, what aspect of a mind would one have that is abnormal, something that not everyone has the power to possess?
Hint 7: What pokemon Types are considered "evil"?
Correct assumptions: This pokemon has wings and learns Baton Pass and Double Team. It is also of the Bug type.

mr_pikachu
28th August 2005, 03:41 AM
We're almost out of chances...

What about Volbeat/Venomoth/Ledian?

Is beauty intruding?

Volbeat has a unique connection to Illumise and can draw beautiful images in the sky due to their teamwork. Venomoth can use Psychic, while Ledian can use Psybeam.

Am I an angel? A demon?

These three Pokemon all have wings, like angels or demons.

These Pokemon can learn Double Team, which makes the opponent see illusions.

These Pokemon can all learn Baton Pass, which gives the Pokemon "shelter of another" by switching it out with a teammate.

Charizard04621
28th August 2005, 11:07 AM
Yay! It's Venomoth! Glad my hints helped.

Is beauty intruding?

A beautiful mind, indeed, is one that has the control of Psychic abilities. Still, what if telepathy were not restrained? One could intrude into another's mind without permission.

Am I an angel? A demon?

Angels are usually portrayed with wings. Yet, Venomoth is a Bug/Poison type, not typically the general stereotype for angels. In that way, it may seem like the more stereotypical demon, which causes harm to others.

Exactly, Double Team. I figured using the word "many" would be a dead giveaway, so I substituted "much" in instead.

Baton Pass. Self-explanatory. It is the only legal move that actually switches out a pokemon without your manually doing so.

Congratulations, my_pikachu, you've won a Golden Venomoth!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/GuardianLune/Pokemon/GoldenVenomoth.jpg

I don't have the materials to turn it into a GIF file; all I have is MSPaint. Sorry bout that... If you want to keep it and are capable of converting it, by all means, do so.

Your turn.

mr_pikachu
28th August 2005, 06:49 PM
Oh, thanks! This is the first O.A.K. figurine I've won, so thank you very much!

And here's the next riddle!

What is lost will quickly be found,
Defense goes up by using the ground.
More common than most, less common than kin,
Once I have my grip, there’s no hope to win.
When I’m at my end, the true fight begins;
My talent conforms to the ongoing trends.
When I lose my power, it is lost in the past,
But do you have the courage and the skills to last?

Good luck! :)

Charizard04621
29th August 2005, 08:13 AM
Kabuto/Kabutops/Phanpy?

Kabuto and Kabutops's Knock Off's effects last only for the battle; you can get your item back later. Phanpy's Pickup allows it to find items.

Kabuto and Kabutops's Mud Shot and Sand-Attack lower accuracy. Phanpy's Mud-Slap does the same.

Erm... I have a feeling this line'll be my downfall. =P

The Kabuto evolution line is known to suck the life out of prey. Phanpy has Rollout, which powers up as time goes on.

Flail.

Kabuto line learns Mimic.

Ancientpower.

Endure.

mr_pikachu
29th August 2005, 08:19 AM
Karin: You have some good ideas here, but you're not really on the right track with them. Some are closer than others, but none are all that close.

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon

Charizard04621
29th August 2005, 08:24 AM
Whoops, didn't see you were online... Silly me, editing my post like that ^_^; Anyway, now I'm going to guess Phanpy. See stupidly edited post above for explanations :P

mr_pikachu
29th August 2005, 08:29 AM
Changing your guess after you've already posted it, Karin? Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Well, it doesn't much matter, because Phanpy is incorrect as well. Sorry!

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon
4. Phanpy

Charizard04621
29th August 2005, 10:19 AM
It's not illegal in the rules :P Anyway, I wouldn't have changed it if I knew you were going to respond soon. You'll find I edit my posts a lot (not necessarily in this game), but check out my other posts and at least 50% of them will have been edited at some point. I change my mind often as a writer, because I have this compulsion to perfect things. I can hold a record for having read over a single work the most times while finding something I want to change each time :P

Chris Watarimono
29th August 2005, 08:06 PM
Maybe I can go with a guess for Grimer/Muk.

Grimer's/Muk's Sticky Hold prevent theft and loss of its items.

Grimer/Muk can use Acid Armor to raise its physical defense.

Poison types are horribly abundant in the games, although Grimer/Muk is on the rare side of the spectrum.

Grimer/Muk has a noxious body substance. Bellsprout in the Kanto Pokemon League learned this the hard way.

Grimer/Muk can use devastating last resort moves such as Explosion and Memento.

Grimer/Muk's skill and variety grows over the GSC and Advance Generations, making it from a heavy sweeper to a all out annoyer/tank/kamikaze/filler.

Move effects like Imprison and Mean Look vanish upon switchout/defeat.

I can take you on! =P

-Chris R.

mr_pikachu
29th August 2005, 11:09 PM
You're somewhat on track with one part, but you're not very close with most of it. Good thoughts, but the explanations aren't as fitting as the Pokemon I had in mind.

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon
4. Phanpy
5. Grimer
6. Muk

Hints:

1. Lines five and six are very closely related. They're talking about the same thing, but explaining different aspects of it.

Charizard04621
30th August 2005, 11:14 AM
Corphish/Crawdaunt

Knock Off disallows the use of an item, but its effects only last for the battle.

It learns Mud Sport, which increases defense against electrical attacks.

Water types are common, but the Corphish line is not as common as, say, Magikarp.

This line has powerful claws. Guillotine is instantly lethal when successful.

Endeavor.

Ancientpower.

Hmm, they can Protect themselves.

mr_pikachu
30th August 2005, 02:13 PM
Now we're getting somewhere. Neither guess is correct, but one of your lines is dead-on.

P.S. I was only joking about the not-fast-enough editing earlier. Sorry if I offended you; I didn't mean to.

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon
4. Phanpy
5. Grimer
6. Muk
7. Corphish
8. Crawdaunt

Hints:

1. Lines five and six are very closely related. They're talking about the same thing, but explaining different aspects of it.

Charizard04621
30th August 2005, 08:30 PM
Lol, I was joking too, trying to seem guilty-ish :P

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile

Return...?

Mud Sport.

Er, Grass attacks are common but Leaf Blade is not?

Crush Claw?

Endeavor.

Um, the Treecko line is very fast so it leaves stuff behind? =/

It learns Detect and Protect. *shrug*

Just randomly stabbing in hopes of more hints ^_^;;

mr_pikachu
30th August 2005, 08:35 PM
Wasting guesses, eh? Well, I suppose it can't be helped...

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon
4. Phanpy
5. Grimer
6. Muk
7. Corphish
8. Crawdaunt
9. Treecko
10. Grovyle
11. Sceptile

Hints:

2. When looking at line seven, think about it in terms of generations of games.

Charizard04621
30th August 2005, 10:41 PM
Geodude/Graveler/Golem

Mer?

Mud Sport.

Geodude is common, but Golem requires trading for its evolution, which is quite a hassle.

Er, Golem is heavy and you don't want it to Body Slam you? Lol.

Selfdestruct and Explosion become imminent, but some pokemon have Damp, which grants protection from self-destructive moves.

The Geodude line learned Harden in RBY, but since then the move has been lost.

Golem does really heavy damage... Got to be careful against it.

mr_pikachu
30th August 2005, 10:44 PM
Your reasoning is getting closer, little by little. Line seven's not right, but you have the right idea.

Incorrect Guesses:

1. Kabuto
2. Kabutops
3. Kecleon
4. Phanpy
5. Grimer
6. Muk
7. Corphish
8. Crawdaunt
9. Treecko
10. Grovyle
11. Sceptile
12. Geodude
13. Graveler
14. Golem

Hints:

2. When looking at line seven, think about it in terms of generations of games.

mr_pikachu
15th September 2005, 08:24 AM
Well, since no one's posted in the last fifteen days, I guess I should post the solution to the riddle to keep the game moving...

This figurine was of a Croconaw. And here's why:

When Croconaw loses a tooth, one will always grow back in its place according to its Gold and Silver Pokedex entries.

It can learn Mud Sport through RSFrLg breeding, and that move weakens electricity. Obviously, Croconaw is weak against Electric attacks.

Many people have had Croconaw, since it’s an evolutionary form of a starter. However, it doesn't have as many fans as its evolutionary relatives, since they are the starting and final stages.

According to the RS Pokedex, its fangs are “impossible to remove once they have sunk in.” The Crystal entry is similar to this one.

Croconaw has the ability of Torrent, which increases the power of Water attacks when it is at low health.

All of the starters have abilities like Torrent that up the strength of moves of their particular element when they are weak.

“Power” is a synonym for “Strength”. Croconaw can learn Strength via HM in GSC, but NOT in RSFrLg. Therefore, the “power” (Strength) has been “lost in the past.”

Croconaw can be tough with moves like Crunch and Hydro Pump, and you have to be brave to withstand moves such as its Scary Face.

I'll wait for worker validation before posting the next riddle.

Charizard04621
15th September 2005, 11:01 AM
Yup, the riddle and its answer are validated. You've earned a Croconaw figurine!

mr_pikachu
16th September 2005, 02:38 AM
Thank you, Karin. I'm kind of disappointed that there weren't many guesses for that riddle, because I put more effort than usual into making it. Oh well.

Here's the next one.

I bathed in the sea
And then slept on the beach.
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.
I don’t need my speed to stop your attacking.
My types and my strengths prevent devastating.
An expensive meal you don’t want to devour,
If you train me well, I can rise to great power.

Good luck!

Charizard04621
16th September 2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I would've guessed more often but I had so much work to do. >_<

Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert?

I bathed in the sea

Mudkip begins as a Water type, but gains the ground type upon evolution.

You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Mudkip is a starter pokémon, so many new trainers have access to it.

It learns Protect naturally. It also learns Mirror Coat, which by default goes last, but can potentialy HURT. It can also learn Curse, which reduces Speed but increases defensive abilities against Attack-based attacks. Of course, this is all moot when a high Special Attack Grass type with a high damage Grass move comes up...

Mudkip's evolutions have a Ground type, which negates their Water type weakness.

o_O

Swampert is pretty strong? *shrug*

mr_pikachu
16th September 2005, 08:31 AM
Those were all good responses, other than the last two lines. Surprisingly, though, despite the quality of your reasoning, only one line was what I had in mind.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Mudkip
Marshtomp
Swampert

Charizard04621
16th September 2005, 10:09 AM
Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise?

I bathed in the sea

Water types, capable of living on both land and sea.

You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

It's a starter pokémon that typically gets a new trainer, although you could get some by breeding.

The Squirtle line gets both Counter and Mirror Coat.

The water type has only two weaknesses, Grass and Electricity. Not only does the Squirtle line have Mirror Coat to answer to these attacks; the line learns powerful Ice moves to use vs. Grass types and Blastoise learns Earthquake for Electric types.

Er, the Squirtle line learns various punching moves, including Mega Punch, Dynamicpunch, and Focus Punch, which enables them to hand out knuckle sandwiches? =/

Squirtle's final evolution, of course, is the best one.

It would be funny if I'm not supposed to be looking at Water types. :P

mr_pikachu
16th September 2005, 07:15 PM
Ehh, you're getting colder...

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (6):
Mudkip
Marshtomp
Swampert
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise

Hints (1):
1. What qualities does a good preacher have? One of them is important here.

Charizard04621
17th September 2005, 01:24 PM
Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking?

I bathed in the sea

The Slowpoke line can reside comfortably in both environments.

You’re all new to me,

Er, Slowking is a new pokémon in GSC? Hmm. The entire line gets Oblivious/Own Tempo in R/S, which further shows how unaware they are of the world. Maybe that's why everything seems new to them.

But I’m happy to preach.

Preach... Hmm. Good voice, what else? Er, does a preacher have to be able to Psych Up people?

The Slowpoke line is incredibly slow, but they do have access to Disable... And they have a large Psychic move arsenal.

Learns Mud Sport, which protects its Water type. Can use Fire attacks, which are Super Effective against Bug types that might try to exploit its weakness as a Psychic type. Similarly for Shadow Ball against Ghost types.

Slowpoke's tail is very sweet; Shellder that bite it cause its evolution.

Slowbro/Slowking are pretty good.

mr_pikachu
17th September 2005, 02:14 PM
One of your lines was closer than before, but you're still pretty far off.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (9):
Mudkip
Marshtomp
Swampert
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking

Hints (1):

Charizard04621
19th September 2005, 12:33 PM
Ergh, stabbing in the dark here...

Magikarp/Gyarados?

I bathed in the sea

Hmm, upon evolution, Gyarados gains the Flying type. I've seen it come out on land sometimes in the Animé before, but meh, this line doesn't seem to fit.

You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Do preachers have to have the ability to Intimidate people?

A Water/Flying type vulnerable to Electric and Rock attacks, Gyarados has a huge Attack power to combine with an Earthquake, which would seriously smash up Electric types... Sometimes it doesn't die to one Thunderbolt, either, due to its good Special Defense and HP, and then it just destroys whatever came out to hit it. :P Also, it's a Water type, so a STABed Water attack would be reason for a Rock type to hide away from Gyarados... I haven't seen anyone try to switch a Rock type in to Gyarados, personally, lol.

There was an Animé episode a while back where James tried to eat Magikarp but it was too hard and tasted nasty or something... Hehe. ^_^;; Also, I find this Dex entry disturbing: "MAGIKARP is virtually useless in battle as it can only splash around. As a result, it is considered to be weak. However, it is actually a very hardy POKéMON that can survive in any body of water no matter how polluted it is." And yeah, Magikarp evolves into Gyarados and becomes very scary and mean. Whee.

mr_pikachu
19th September 2005, 01:54 PM
Very... creative responses, but you're way off base with them all. I think another hint is in order here.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (11):
Mudkip
Marshtomp
Swampert
Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Slowking
Magikarp
Gyarados

Hints (2):
2. Think of "devastating" as in an attack that would deal an extreme amount of damage to the Pokemon in question.

Charizard04621
19th September 2005, 03:56 PM
Exeggcute/Exeggutor?

I bathed in the sea

Uhh... *desperate* It's first available in the Blue (sea) and Red (beach) versions.

You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Since its first premier was in the Chromatics, it's considered an old pokémon and the others are all new. As for preaching... Do preachers have to be hypnotic? =/

Grass/Psychic has a glaring Bug type weakness, but Exeggutor can learn Reflect and has a high HP total and Defense in the first place. They're also really slow...

They're eggs and then coconuts, but you can't eat them. =P They learn Egg Bomb... Yeah, don't try eating that...

Exeggutor is awesome.

mr_pikachu
19th September 2005, 04:04 PM
Well, uh, one of your lines is sort of close, I guess... but not really. I have a feeling I'll be giving out a third hint soon.

(I went ahead and numbered the guesses, by the way. Didn't think this riddle would last so long.)

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (13):
1. Mudkip
2. Marshtomp
3. Swampert
4. Squirtle
5. Wartortle
6. Blastoise
7. Slowpoke
8. Slowbro
9. Slowking
10. Magikarp
11. Gyarados
12. Exeggcute
13. Exeggutor

Hints (2):
2. Think of "devastating" as in an attack that would deal an extreme amount of damage to the Pokemon in question.

Charizard04621
19th September 2005, 04:20 PM
Corphish/Crawdaunt?

I bathed in the sea

They can reside comfortably in both places.

You’re all new to me,

Heh, it's relatively new, found in RS. *shrug*

But I’m happy to preach.

Do good preachers have to be able to Endeavor, to work hard towards a specific goal or purpose?

Shell Armor prevents Critical Hits. They also learn Mud Sport, which protects them against Electric attacks.

Um, don't try to eat the lobster. Hmm... They learn Crabhammer, which is really far from edible. x_X As for rising to great power... Crawdaunt has a HUGE Attack rating, with a base Attack power of 120 (stronger than any possible starter pokémon besides Flareon, and tied with Blaziken).

mr_pikachu
19th September 2005, 04:26 PM
Okay, one of your lines has half of the intended answer, so that's a start. Another is sort of close. But you've still got quite a bit of work to do on your analysis if you want to get this one. Hopefully the new hint will help.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (15):
1. Mudkip
2. Marshtomp
3. Swampert
4. Squirtle
5. Wartortle
6. Blastoise
7. Slowpoke
8. Slowbro
9. Slowking
10. Magikarp
11. Gyarados
12. Exeggcute
13. Exeggutor
14. Corphish
15. Crawdaunt

Hints (3):
3. The first two lines are a metaphor of this Pokemon's background.

Charizard04621
20th September 2005, 08:31 AM
Shroomish/Breloom?

I bathed in the sea

I figured it was a metaphor, but I tried the "version" thing and it didn't work. :P Er, the only other thing I can think of about history is pokédex entries. "SHROOMISH live in damp soil in the dark depths of forests. They are often found keeping still under fallen leaves. This POKéMON feeds on compost that is made up of fallen rotted leaves."

You’re all new to me,

Shroomish/Breloom are new. Can't make sense out of this, eh.

But I’m happy to preach.

Do preachers have to be able to Charm people?

Spore, Stun Spore, and their Ability Effect Spore.

Substitute? =/

Don't eat the mushroom or you just might just end up with quite literal poison... Or worse, paralysis or sleep :P

Breloom has a very high Attack rating.

mr_pikachu
20th September 2005, 08:58 AM
You have the right idea on a few lines, but you're really not too close on any of them. Try to think a little outside the box.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (17):
1. Mudkip
2. Marshtomp
3. Swampert
4. Squirtle
5. Wartortle
6. Blastoise
7. Slowpoke
8. Slowbro
9. Slowking
10. Magikarp
11. Gyarados
12. Exeggcute
13. Exeggutor
14. Corphish
15. Crawdaunt
16. Shroomish
17. Breloom

Hints (3):

Charizard04621
23rd September 2005, 08:12 AM
I've had as much creative thinking as I can handle. =/

Azurill/Marill/Azumarill?

I bathed in the sea

Marill and Azumarill appear first in GSC as Water types. Azurill premiers one version later, with the introduction of RS, but it is a Normal type.

You’re all new to me,

Hmm, while Azurill is a new pokémon, its postevolutions came before it in earlier versions, so all the other "real" new pokémon, in a sense, are newer than it is.

But I’m happy to preach.

Perhaps preachers require good voices. Azurill can Sing, which suggests a good voice.

While not exactly the fastest of pokémon, the Azurill line can get Thick Fat, which reduces damage taken.

Marill gets Present, which can blow up in your face.

Another Ability the Azurill line has is Huge Power.

mr_pikachu
23rd September 2005, 02:42 PM
Well, you're missing by more with each guess. Time for hint number four.

I bathed in the sea
You’re all new to me,
But I’m happy to preach.

Incorrect Guesses (20):
1. Mudkip
2. Marshtomp
3. Swampert
4. Squirtle
5. Wartortle
6. Blastoise
7. Slowpoke
8. Slowbro
9. Slowking
10. Magikarp
11. Gyarados
12. Exeggcute
13. Exeggutor
14. Corphish
15. Crawdaunt
16. Shroomish
17. Breloom
18. Azurill
19. Marill
20. Azumarill

Hints (4):
4. Nothing in the riddle refers to when the Pokemon in question was introduced in the games, anime, manga, etc.

Charizard04621
26th September 2005, 04:26 PM
Anorith/Kabuto/Kabutops?

I bathed in the sea

Fossils sometimes end up at the bottom of the sea, and then surface many years later.

You’re all new to me,

Fossils are ancient.

But I’m happy to preach.

Um... Do preachers have to be able to Attract an audience's attention? =/

Kabuto learns Confuse Ray. Anorith learns Water Pulse, which could cause confusion.

Battle Armor prevents Critical Hits.

Both evolutionary lines' final evolutions gain base Attack powers of over 100, which hurt like crazy. The Kabuto line learns Ancientpower at a high level.

mr_pikachu
27th September 2005, 04:57 PM
Well, you're right, even though the majority of your lines weren't quite what I meant. But nonetheless, you win an Anorith figurine!

Here's why Anorith was the correct response:

I bathed in the sea
Anorith swam in the primodial sea by flapping its wings, according to the Sapphire Pokedex.

It was revived from a fossil that was found in the desert, which could be considered a beach of sorts.

You’re all new to me,
Anorith lived in an ancient world, which is probably quite different from the one it is brought into once it is revived.

But I’m happy to preach.
Having existed through the ages, Anorith could “preach” about a variety of events from ancient times of which people of the current age would have little knowledge.

It’s got pretty good speed, compared to its other stats. However, it can block any attack you throw at it with Protect, which it learns at level 31.

It is a Rock/Bug type, and no attack type has a 4x weakness against that combination. Also, its ability, Battle Armor, prevents critical hits.

Anorith is the Old Shrimp Pokemon, but it’s a lot more valuable than a piece of seafood!

When it evolves into Armaldo, it gains the power to punch through steel as well as some nearly impervious armor, according Armaldo’s Ruby Pokedex entry.

So now you know! Enjoy your new figurine, Karin!

Charizard04621
27th September 2005, 07:55 PM
Lol! The sea/beach part was what won it for me. I'd realized that you were talking about a fossil! I fell silly for guessing the correct answer without getting most of the parts right, though. If you wanted to post another riddle, I'll give up that figurine and hand it to you... Otherwise, I'll keep it. It's your choice.

mr_pikachu
27th September 2005, 09:35 PM
No, you won it. You got the right answer, and that's what counts in the end.

However, I am very much looking forward to guessing at the next riddle... ;)

Charizard04621
28th September 2005, 05:13 PM
Oookay! Riddle time! ^_^; This might be too easy, but meh.

A lair of flame and torrential fury,
A breath of life in darkest death,
Lost to today, a relic of time,
Who art thou who in splendor shines?
Mighty beast and greatly feared,
With warmest heart and power sheer,
Who art thou, oh graceful one,
Defier of mountains, storm and sun?

mr_pikachu
29th September 2005, 01:04 AM
Well, I may as well start this off. Could this be the legendary Ho-oh?

Its "lair" is the Tin Tower. The flame part is obvious, as Ho-oh is a flaming bird. I suppose "torrential fury" could be referring to a wave, perhaps of fire? This might be a reference to the wars fought over Ho-oh, too. I think that was the last time it was seen, if I'm remembering the relevant Johto League Champions episodes correctly.

Well, this is obvious. Ho-oh revived the three very dead legendary dogs.

Ho-oh hasn't been seen in several thousand years... at least, it hadn't until Ash's sighting.

Er... it's magnificent, as a primary legendary? It glows thanks to its fire? I'm not sure on this one.

It's a major legendary, so it has very powerful stats. It can be overwhelming if you try to catch it with a team at too low a level in the games. And Sacred Fire is the most powerful one-turn Fire attack (I'm not sure if Blast Burn is more powerful, but it has its detriments).

It'd have to be pretty kind to expend the energy to revive the legendary dogs, and as mentioned before, it's strong. Really strong.

Hmm. It's stronger than mountains, if you're referring to the Regis (which are all located somewhat near mountains, if I remember right). It's power certainly rivals that of Lugia, who could represent "storm". And Rayquaza, who Ho-oh again rivals, might represent "sun", as it lives closer to the sun than any other Pokemon.

Charizard04621
29th September 2005, 08:14 AM
Hmm, you've got some good ideas. A few are on the right track.

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh

mr_pikachu
3rd October 2005, 01:14 AM
Okay, let's try Moltres/Relicanth/Jirachi.

This could refer to the flames of Moltres. It could also describe how Relicanth can help you enter the area of a furious (sort of like fury) Pokemon in RSE: one of the Regis. I can't remember which, but they're all powerful. Jirachi? I suppose it could be describing the battle that took place at the end of Jirachi: Wish Maker, when the giant Groudon-thing attacked everyone. (Note that Groudon is found in a pool of lava in Ruby and Sapphire.)

Moltres is like a pheonix. Relicanth has survived the ages, defying death. Jirachi has done the same.

Moltres is quite ancient. Relicanth, in the anime, hasn't been seen for centuries until Ash shows up. And Jirachi is only seen once every thousand years.

Moltres, the bird of fire, obviously glows with the radiance of flames. I'm not sure about Relicanth, but Jirachi kind of glows in the crystal, and it also is tied in with the Millennium Comet, which shines brightly in the night sky.

Moltres and Jirachi are legendaries, and Relicanth can be trained to become powerful.

Moltres saved the Pokemon at the opening ceremonies of the Indigo League Championships. (And it's heart is probably warm, looking at its type.) Relicanth, again, is a mystery, but Jirachi is very kind in Jirachi: Wish Maker.

These Pokemon all defy the things that are related to desctruction over time: mountains can erode, storms tear things apart in addition to helping the process of erosion, and the sun can damage other objects, like your eyes if you gaze at the sun for too long.

Charizard04621
3rd October 2005, 10:36 AM
Yup, you're on the right track on a few lines. Time for a hint.

Also, mr_pikachu, it's about time you chose a worker figurine! Welcome to the staff. ^_^

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi

Hint 1: With the reference to time, think about something that was lost in the past, not to surface for many generations.

Weasel Overlord
3rd October 2005, 03:55 PM
Can anyone guess or do you have to sign up or anything?

Either way, my guess is Groudon...

A breath of life in darkest death

Groudon lives in a pool of lava

See Ruby pokedex...Groudon slept after it's battle with Kyogre...hence 'lost to today'

Warmest heart...a reference to fire? Power sheer? Groudon is pretty strong...

See Sapphire pokedex...it has the power to scatter rain clouds and make water evaporate...it raised lands and expanded continents, hence defying the usual stillness of the land?

Charizard04621
3rd October 2005, 04:53 PM
Nope, no need to sign up. ^^; Just guess away! And nope, sorry, that's not it.

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon

Hint 1: With the reference to time, think about something that was lost in the past, not to surface for many generations.
[/quote]

mr_pikachu
4th October 2005, 12:06 AM
Something lost in the past? This might be Lugia, then.

This is possibly a reference to the second Pokemon movie. The "lair of flame" would be Moltres' island, while "torrential fury" could refer to both Articuno's and Zapdos' homes.

Its song healed the world, in a way.

In the Lugia arc of the Master Quest season, the Silver Wing is revealed to have been lost for centuries beneath the waves.

Well, when Lugia gets angry, Luca's Silver Wing glows (again from the Lugia arc).

It's one of the most powerful legendaries, and its rage struck a bit of fear in the hearts of Ash and the gang during the Lugia arc.

In Pokemon 2000, it's kind enough to help save the world. And it's obviously powerful.

Is this a reference to the three legendary birds and the islands on which they reside?

Oh, and as I told you via PM, a Pikachu worker plaque would suit me perfectly, I think.

Charizard04621
4th October 2005, 09:21 AM
All right, cool. I'll edit that in right away. Congratulations ^_^

And hmm, you've got the basic idea for some things, but you aren't getting any closer. I'll give another hint soon.

Come on everyone, start guessing! ^_^;;

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon
6) Lugia

Weasel Overlord
4th October 2005, 09:37 AM
It's not Aerodactyl is it?

Well, the fossils in Ruby/Sapphire are in the desert, which could be classed as a place of death, you can die of heat exhasution, etc and in the games, you need the goggles to even go inside...and the fossil can be brought back to life, hence a 'breath of life'

The lost to the past/relic lines make me think it might be a fossil...???

Aerodactyl was both mighty and feared in the episode I recall...

Didn't Aerodactly rescue Ash in the episode I mentioned...that would be a 'warm heart', possibly...

A fossil is underground, so it defies sun, storms and mountains...not too sure about the mountains though...

EDIT: I added more explanations/reasons, although I'm not too sure about their relevance.

Charizard04621
6th October 2005, 08:34 AM
Oops!! Sorry! Usually I would have gotten back to you on the same day. >_< I don't know how I missed this.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but can you please post reasons for at least 3/4 of the lines? ^^ In this case it would be 6 lines, so just 2 more than what you already have. =) I'm not allowed to accept guesses without reasons for at least 3/4 of the lines.

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon
6) Lugia

mr_pikachu
7th October 2005, 03:31 PM
Okay, maybe this is a Celebi?

Hrm, not sure here. It isn't referring to Ilex Forest, that's for sure.

When Celebi "died", the other Celebis from throughout time restored it.

Celebi is a time traveller, and nobody that we know of saw it between Professor Oak and Ash, so it was lost for the middle generation.

When Celebi uses its time travelling power, the whole forest glows with light.

As a legendary, it's pretty darn powerful. And a lot of Pokemon and people were afraid of it when it crafted that giant wooden monster in Pokemon 4Ever.

It was very kind in Pokemon 4Ever, until it was captured in the Dark Ball.

Mountains, storm, and sun can all damage things over time. Erosion of rocks is an example. Celebi, however, defies time by travelling through it. It always appears young, as well (as was seen from its many incarnations in the revival scene in Pokemon 4Ever).

Charizard04621
7th October 2005, 05:20 PM
Weasel Overlord - Actually, you got one line pretty close, accidentally, but nonetheless quite close =)

mr_pikachu - Hmm, you've got one line right, but certain lines aren't being put in the right context. Although, your guesses are quite interesting.

I'll post a hint at the 10th guess.

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon
6) Lugia
7) Aerodactyl
8) Celebi

mr_pikachu
13th October 2005, 11:16 AM
Well, if no one else is going to guess, I may as well take a shot.

Could it be Mew/Mewtwo?

In Pokemon: The First Movie, Mewtwo's "lair" was surrounded by absolutely insane weather, which would explain the "torrential fury" part. As for the flames, maybe it's a reference to the intense Charizard vs. Charizard battle.

When Ash "died", he was restored by the tears of the Pokemon surrounding the clash between Mew and Mewtwo.

Mew is extraordinarily rare, and was viewed by many as a myth, or at least extinct ("a relic of time"). Mewtwo ties into that status by being an alteration of Mew.

Hmm. Well, Mew can become invisible, I believe. I'm pretty sure it showed off that ability while following TR in Pokemon: The First Movie. As for Mewtwo... uh... I'm not sure.

Both Pokemon are exceedingly strong.

Mew is naturally kind, and Mewtwo's revelations help to warm its heart, so to speak.

Well, Mew's fossil survived the test of time. It was buried in land ("mountains"), which helped it to survive the elements ("storm and sun"). Mewtwo's clones overcame Venusaur (representing "mountains"), Blastoise (representing "storm"), and Charizard (representing "sun").

Charizard04621
13th October 2005, 11:29 AM
Got some, not others. Hint time!

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon
6) Lugia
7) Aerodactyl
8) Celebi
9) Mew
10) Mewtwo

Hint 2: The elements of the lair are metaphorical. They represent another concept.

mr_pikachu
18th October 2005, 12:16 AM
Well, if no one else is guessing...

What about Kyogre/Rayquaza?

In Sapphire, Kyogre is submerged in water. However, I believe it is in lava in Emerald if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, though, it could simply be contrasting the water in Sapphire with Groudon's lava in Ruby. Both appear in the same cave, but in different versions, so the lair serves both the "flame" (Groudon) and the "torrential fury" (Kyogre). Rayquaza helps to calm the beasts of flame and torrential fury.

Kyogre made the oceans, which life sprung from. Rayquaza protected life from the ozone layer without the knowledge of humans.

Neither Pokemon has been seen for ages, obviously (until certain movies and anime episodes, as well as the games, that is).

Kyogre is calmed when the orbs shine together. Rayquaza is partially responsible for the auroras in Destiny Deoxys, if I'm not mistaken.

This is obvious. They are both primary legendaries.

They're powerful, but they help humanity in their own ways (Kyogre by creating the seas, and Rayquaza by protecting us).

Rayquaza = mountains, Kyogre = storm, Groudon = sun. ...Or something to that effect.

Dang, we're racking up the legendaries in our guesses here.

Charizard04621
18th October 2005, 08:23 AM
Ooh, you've got the idea on a new line. Some of your lines, as usual, are pretty much on track but you need to understand a crucial part in order to get it right.

Thanks for guessing, by the way.

Incorrect guesses:

1) Ho-oh
2) Moltres
3) Relicanth
4) Jirachi
5) Groudon
6) Lugia
7) Aerodactyl
8) Celebi
9) Mew
10) Mewtwo
11) Rayquaza
12) Kyogre

Hint 2: The elements of the lair are metaphorical. They represent another concept.

mr_pikachu
21st October 2005, 12:52 AM
Why can't I think of anything other than legendaries for this riddle? Argh!

Anyway, what about Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres?

In Pokemon 2000, each Pokemon had lairs surrounded by stormy weather, thus indicating torrential fury. And the battle between the birds over the islands was full of powerful energy and flames from Moltres.

"The song" revived Lugia in that movie, which allowed it to clam the birds, thus restoring life to the world. Otherwise, everyone was doomed.

These are legendary Pokemon, people. You don't see 'em every day.

Lugia, who appeared to have dominion over the three birds, caused the Silver Wing to shine whenever it was angry. Also, the three treasures glowed when they were united, and this caused the entire shrine to glow.

Again, these three Pokemon, being legendaries, are powerful.

Zapdos rescued Lt. Surge when he was in the army, according to the RBY games. The Pokedexes from those games stated that Articuno saved travelers lost on mountainsides. And Moltres... uh, its heart would have to be warm, I guess, since it's a legendary Fire type. ^_^;

Articuno = mountains (icy mountains like Mt. Everest), Zapdos = storm (it's the bird of thunder), Moltres = sun (it's the bird of fire).

Charizard04621
21st October 2005, 08:14 AM
Hmm, you didn't seem very confident in it as your answer, but Articuno is correct! And you already guessed Moltres o_O

Articuno first resides in the Seafoam Islands in the Red/Blue Versions (flame and torrent). The Yellow version came up after these two, so those don't count, and although Green was an original version it is Japanese and not widely available in US stores.

According to its pokédex entry, Articuno appears to doomed people in mountains, saving them from a horrible fate.

Articuno was cut out from every subsequent version until FRLG, which in some ways echoed the Red and Blue versions, making Articuno a memory of the past.

The ice bird is beautiful =) Personally my favorite legendary bird. And shining splendor tends to connotate divinity, which in this sense translates to legendary.

Legendaries are rumored to be one of the most powerful beings around. Articuno has a warm heart because although it is the legendary bird of ice, it helps lost victims.

Articuno is simply graceful, there's no doubt about it. Watch its flowing feathers and long tail plumes ripple in Stadium; wow. Anyway, this is meant to make a slight distinction between Articuno and Zapdos, perhaps Moltres as well, depending upon opinion. Zapdos is spiky and thundery and all that =P

Mountains, storm, and sun, are elements representing the pokémon types Rock, Electric, and Fire. All of these, Articuno has an elemental weakness to.

Congratulations, you've won an Articuno figurine! Your turn.

mr_pikachu
21st October 2005, 04:53 PM
All right, a legendary figurine! Thank you, Karin!

...I already guessed Moltres? *looks* Meh, I was tired last night. Not having slept for 30 hours will do that to you. :P

Anyway, here's the next riddle. Good luck!

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Charizard04621
26th October 2005, 08:37 AM
Oh, shoot, I forgot all about this! Sorry! I would have guessed sooner... ><

Wurmple/Cascoon/Dustox

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

Cascoon is one of the few pokémon that, without manipulation, does not have an offensive move.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

Dustox's Sapphire dex entry mentions that it releases a fine powder by flapping its wings, which "is actually a powerful poison that will even make a pro wrestler sick".

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Not sure here =/ Might be referring to the fact that Wurmple has two evolution branches, but neither of the final forms are used very effectively in competitive battle.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Bugs tend to be one of the weaker types (besides awesome stuff like Heracross and Scyther). They have many weaknesses to common types... but if used well, they can get quite annoying and even valuable to the team.

mr_pikachu
26th October 2005, 08:41 AM
Don't worry about it. Unfortunately, none of those guesses were correct. One of your explanations was pretty close, though.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (3):
Wurmple
Cascoon
Dustox

Charizard04621
26th October 2005, 08:52 AM
Feebas/Milotic

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

Feebas only learns Splash, Tackle, and Flail, although it's better than Magikarp since it can get bred-on moves. If considered a member of the "weak six" I'm assuming it's the strongest one due to more options, which is why it's unusual. None of the other "weak six" can learn enough moves in their evolution forms to fill up a whole four attack slots.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

Feebas turns into Milotic, a classic Ugly Duckling -> Swan transformation.

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Milotic is considered the most beautiful pokémon... It has some really nice moves such as Hypnosis and Recover. However, it's not quite as versatile as Lapras or Starmie, who learn Thunderbolt and Psychic, among other things.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Well, Feebas does seem weak, but when it evolves into Milotic it is a HUGE improvement.
Incorrect Guesses (3):
Wurmple
Cascoon
Dustox
[/quote]

mr_pikachu
26th October 2005, 09:18 AM
You're getting a little colder. Maybe a hint will help.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (5):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic

Hints (1):
1. Think about a group which only six Pokemon belong to and which is defined by an unhelpful characteristic.

Charizard04621
26th October 2005, 10:32 AM
Hmm.

Cubone/Marowak?

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

I wouldn't call it a weakness since it's a Ground type and tends to be unaffected by Electricity, but this line, along with four others possesses the Ability Lightningrod, which attracts all Electric attacks (unless it attracts a partner's Electric attacks, too, which would kind of suck).

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

Cubone/Marowak's special weapon, the bone, are cherished by their possessors. This is where they are rumored to draw all their power. Is it really magical, though?

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

For some reason I am reminded of electric potential (voltage) but that would make very little sense since the ground would be the type that receives electrical discharge =P Anyway, Thick Club Marowak showed up sometimes in GSC and was known to be able to reach the max Attack rating (careful not to go over). Marowak also has cool moves like Perish Song but can't really make use of them due to its stats and type. Its only choice is to go Attacker, as its stats do not support any other strategy. *shrug* I'm sure this line has more to it and I'm missing something obvious.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

There are better Ground types... Marowak is kind of slow and doesn't have the best stats in the world. It could, however, dole out an immense amount of damage, which might be cause for shock. Or there could be a literal meaning to the word "shocker" and I don't know yet.

mr_pikachu
26th October 2005, 01:49 PM
Meh, you're really not close here. Again, referring to the hint, think about a weakness of six Pokemon. Not a strength.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak

Hints (1):
1. Think about a group which only six Pokemon belong to and which is defined by an unhelpful characteristic.

Charizard04621
8th November 2005, 09:09 AM
Mr. Mime/Voltorb/Electrode?

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

Only six pokémon have the Ability Soundproof. It's good to avoid stuff like Screech, but it's terrible because the pokémon is unaffected by stuff like Howl and Heal Bell.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

Mr. Mime can learn lots of deceptive moves such as Double Team, Trick, Susbtitute, Confusion, Encore, and Hypnosis. The Voltorb line can get Substitute and Double Team.

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Mr. Mime has many different moves, but only has a single evolution. Voltorb and Electrode are charged full of electric potential (which is what a volt is ^_^). They don't have a wide range of moves.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Mr. Mime isn't as good as some other more common Psychic types, but can be surprising due to its large variety of moves. Voltorb and Electrode, if they are the starter (which they are used for; otherwise it's better to have something else in the team to switch to) can do nasty stuff like Thunder Wave and Explosion since they have the highest base Speed stat in the game. They're really weak, though, sub-par Electric types.

Incorrect Guesses (7):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak

mr_pikachu
8th November 2005, 02:35 PM
Hmm. Interesting explanations, but you're still missing the point. Maybe another hint will help.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (10):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak
8. Mr. Mime
9. Voltorb
10. Electrode

Hints (2):
2. Lines five and six are almost an oxymoron, since they refer to the exact same aspect of this Pokemon.

Charizard04621
8th November 2005, 03:11 PM
Chansey/Kangaskhan?

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

Chansey, Kangaskhan, Illumise, Smoochum, Miltank, and Illumise are the only six evolution lines that yield female-only babies.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

Chansey gets stuff like Serene Grace and Minimize, interesting stuff. Kangaskhan gets Substitute. *shrug*

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Metronome! You can get any move from it, yet you cannot choose which move you would like.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

They're both top tier Normal pokémon, so I'm gonna assume these lines are referring to Metronome... It's so random that it's unreliable, but then again, it could possibly be a lifesaver.

mr_pikachu
8th November 2005, 03:20 PM
One of your explanations was much closer, but the rest still aren't very close. The "weak six" thing, remember, is something that is not helpful in any way.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (12):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak
8. Mr. Mime
9. Voltorb
10. Electrode
11. Chansey
12. Kangaskhan

Hints (2):
2. Lines five and six are almost an oxymoron, since they refer to the exact same aspect of this Pokemon.

Zcade0
9th November 2005, 06:04 PM
Smergle! (may have spelled it wrong)

An unusual being,
looks weird

Member of the weak six.
can't learn TM's along with magiccarp, ect.

A magical thing,
uh...

Or illusory tricks?
it uses ilusion alot

My potential is endless
scetch can coppie any move

While choices are few.
few moves other than scetch

Am I an opening weakness
vulernable to lots a stuff

Or a shocker for you?
uh....

mr_pikachu
10th November 2005, 12:50 AM
You're a lot closer than you might think, Zcade0, but not close enough.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (13):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak
8. Mr. Mime
9. Voltorb
10. Electrode
11. Chansey
12. Kangaskhan
13. Smeargle

Hints (2):

Charizard04621
10th November 2005, 08:40 AM
Farfetch'd

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

I am too lazy to count, but perhaps it is one of only six final evolutions that cannot learn Hyper Beam.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

How can a leek cause a powerful Slash? o_O

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Mirror Move can mirror almost anything, but Farfetch'd can only mirror the move that was last used.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Farfetch'd is really easy to kill... It does have good stuff like Agility and Swords Dance, though. I toyed with Baton Pass Farfetch'd for a bit because I think it's cute (Mr. Mime is so ugly =P). It serves very little practical use in battle, though. There's almost always another pokémon that can do whatever it can do a little bit (or a lot) better.

mr_pikachu
10th November 2005, 08:46 AM
Some good thoughts, but you're still off base with most of them. Zcade's last guess is the closest so far.

I'll give another hint with the next guess.

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.
A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
My potential is endless
While choices are few.
Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Incorrect Guesses (14):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak
8. Mr. Mime
9. Voltorb
10. Electrode
11. Chansey
12. Kangaskhan
13. Smeargle
14. Farfetch'd

Hints (2):

Charizard04621
16th November 2005, 07:39 AM
Ditto

An unusual being,
Member of the weak six.

Cannot learn TMs/HMs.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?

How does it Transform into its opponent's very likeness? And yet, it can (usually) be distinguished from its original because it maintains its genderless nature.

My potential is endless
While choices are few.

Transform can morph Ditto into anything... However, it can only Transform into a pokémon that it is currently facing.

Am I an opening weakness
Or a shocker for you?

Ditto wastes one turn to Transform, during which time it gets hit/switched out on/whatever. It's left vulnerable. If you Transform into the right pokémon, though, bad stuff could happen to your opponent...

Incorrect Guesses (14):
1. Wurmple
2. Cascoon
3. Dustox
4. Feebas
5. Milotic
6. Cubone
7. Marowak
8. Mr. Mime
9. Voltorb
10. Electrode
11. Chansey
12. Kangaskhan
13. Smeargle
14. Farfetch'd

Hints (2):

mr_pikachu
17th November 2005, 01:26 AM
Ah, we have ourselves a winner! My fellow worker has just earned a Ditto plushie! And here's why:

An unusual being,
Ditto’s one-of-a-kind. There’s no arguing with that.

Member of the weak six.
In the original RBY games, there are only six Pokemon that cannot learn TM or HM moves: Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, Magikarp, and Ditto.

A magical thing,
Or illusory tricks?
This asks whether Ditto’s ability to copy other Pokemon is magical or an illusion, making reference to famous magic tricks of covering an object with a cloth and then turning it into something else.

My potential is endless
It can copy any Pokemon and their moves. Since the possibilities of Pokemon and their moves are infinite, so are the many forms and abilities of Ditto.

While choices are few.
Ditto can only copy the Pokemon it is battling with, so it doesn’t have much of a choice what to Transform into.

Am I an opening weakness
Ditto was used by Drake against Ash’s Pikachu in the opening round of the Orange League Championship. However, Ditto usually lacks the stats of its opponents, so it is often a weakness on a team in battle.

Or a shocker for you?
A Ditto can be a surprise to any opponent, as a trainer is essentially forced to square off against his or her own Pokemon. This was the case during the aforementioned Orange League Championship match.

Congratulations on the win! :yes:

Charizard04621
17th November 2005, 08:25 AM
Nice! Thank you, mr_pikachu. :) I'm wondering what it'll take to bring some interest into this game... Perhaps we could hold some kind of contest? Something different than just posting the riddle and guessing. What do you think? I'd like to get your input before I post the next riddle. If you think we need to do something, we could PM each other some ideas.

Zcade0
17th December 2005, 02:33 PM
*wonders when someone will come up with another riddle*
I'm not going to! I stink at making riddles.