PDA

View Full Version : My GeForce 6800GT won't fit in my Dell. :(

Metallixs Girl
20th August 2005, 05:57 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 4500 and I bought an Albatron Geforce 6800GT 256MB AGP 8x/4x from Newegg. It will not go in all the way, it almost does but there's a little corner that hits something so it doesn't go in all the way. When we tried to turn the computer on with it in there, the computer squeals until we turn it off and won't come on. The computer fits all the specs for this card. There is no reason it shouldn't fit or work.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Any suggestions?

Dark Scizor
21st August 2005, 06:25 AM
There's usually little lever on the AGP slot, you checked that it was in a neutral position?

Chris
22nd August 2005, 03:05 AM
As DS said, on AGP slots on the motherboard there is a small lever (usually white) that can be slid into two different positions - basically it secures the card in position. You'll see it clearly because it matches up with the "corner" in the card that you described. Make sure it's slid all the way out (neutral) before inserting the card.

Metallixs Girl
24th August 2005, 09:59 PM
My dad modified it (by removing just the small section of the right hand corner that had nothing to do with the components of the card) and got it in, but the computer never came on and it did the same thing it was doing... Can someone tell me if my computer is strong enough for the Geforce 6800GT? I really thought it was, and it looks like it to me....

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/sys...m4500/specs.htm

Sorry for not replying, he just got to look at it again today...

Dark Scizor
27th August 2005, 09:06 PM
Link didn't work.

Have you got a powerful enough PSU?

Starry Might
6th September 2005, 02:18 PM
Link didn't work.
Same here. Maybe it's limited (in this case) to Metallixs Girl. Post your system specs here.

Anyhoo, I've actually read in "Maximum PC" that Dell uses proprietary components, so stuff from their computers won't quite work in other kinds of computers, and vice versa.

Just gimme a minute...okay:

ROUND PEGS, SQUARE HOLES
I purchased an ATI 9800 Pro videocard, and then discovered that I can't install it in my Dell Dimension 4600C thin-client PC. So I've decided to buy a mid-tower case and put the Dell motherboard in it. Now my only problem is that I can't find a case that will accommodate the motherboard. Help!
--[i]James Zeng

One of the Doc's biggest complaints about Dell is that the company insists on using proprietary motherboards and power supplies, which makes them very difficult to transplant into new cases. In fact, you typically can't even upgrade the PSU. The 4600C is designed to consume as little space as possible; as a consequence, its interior is so cramped that it will only accommodate half-height expansion cards--and there's no such configuration for the 9800 Pro.
Your Best bet is to donate that old PC to your mom--or to some other non-gaming relative or friend--and start from scratch.
:notfunny:

Metallixs Girl
6th September 2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks, y'all, but my dad got it in, but it never came on so it does actually fit. But he found out it was probably the PSU and that that card was bad, so I sent it back for a refund and I'll get a new card and PSU.